Random Usefull tools - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Random Usefull tools
Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:56 PM
Ok, so I decided to make an order from an Ebay store on a bunch of random usefull tools - you know the ones u wished you had for what should be a "5minute job" but is really a 2 or 3 hr job because you dont have the right stuf...ya that.

So here is what I came up with:

Batter Terminal Puller/Wiper Arm puller
Brake Bleeder Hose
Telescopic Mirror
Moon Clip Window Handle Remover
Tube Flaring Tool
Brake Shoe Spring Retaining Tool
Tubing Bender

Anyone have any thought, comments or suggestions on other usefull stuff you wish you had when doing a job, or found useful?

Re: Random Usefull tools
Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:17 PM
looks like a good start, i cant think of any more off the top of my head.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2992749
Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:34 PM
slide hammer!

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:57 PM
Flaked Z-Fire wrote:slide hammer!

I never heard of one before...from what I got from google its either for pulling dents or for crank shafts and stuff.....but I'd rather hear it from someone who knows for sure. What is it, what does it do, and how is it helpful with automotives?
Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:07 PM
I still think my best purchase ever was my Harbor Freight caliper piston compressor:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34304

I used to do c-clamps, pry bars, blocks of wood, all kinds of crap. This turned a 30 minute job into a 10 minute job.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

***BREAKING NEWS*** notec's steps to a brighter American future:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=36&i=58477&t=58099#58477

Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:18 PM
Quote:

I still think my best purchase ever was my Harbor Freight caliper piston compressor:

I used to do c-clamps, pry bars, blocks of wood, all kinds of crap. This turned a 30 minute job into a 10 minute job.

NO @!#$!

I never knew they made one!

I just ordered it. I gotta do brakes soon, and the C-Clamp is a PAIN!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:51 PM
I cant seem to find it on their website, do they ship to canada?
Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:59 PM
the window crank handle remover is one of the best tools i ever bought... comes in very handy... much easier then using a pick and a screw driver to try and do it...

cant think of anything else to add to your list...

Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:17 PM
EYEOPNR (sleepercavy) wrote:the window crank handle remover is one of the best tools i ever bought... comes in very handy... much easier then using a pick and a screw driver to try and do it...

I found that using a rag actually works quite well...put it inbetween the panel and the handle and just spin and pull...only problem is the moon clip has a tendency to go air bourne afterwards.

Anyone hear anything about this Harbor Freight place? I was looking at the website and there are some interesting things....mainly the torque wrench

Torque Wrench 10-150 ft. lbs for only $20
Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:45 PM
A slide hammer is used for pulling dents. Harbor Freight also has other body tools (hammers, dollies, spoons, etc.) very reasonably. Don't forget to buy a OBDII scanner. The Schucks/Kragen chain has a very capable one for under $70 US. Oh, and a Mity Vac for brake/clutch bleeding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:46 PM

Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:17 PM
There is a Harbor Freight local to me. Their stuff is very cheap and for the most part works well...

I have no complaints about them, for the money it can't be beat...

Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:57 PM
A slide hammer is also used to remove certain bearings too.

My most useful tool that i own i got for free and its just a small flat head screwdriver.

Trevor Mullins wrote:

kind of like a screwed up kids sing along

pete the anal monkey lived in my bum..............

best epiosode of barney ever lol

Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:45 AM
EYEOPNR (sleepercavy) wrote:the window crank handle remover is one of the best tools i ever bought... comes in very handy... much easier then using a pick and a screw driver to try and do it...

plus you can get it at any auto parts store for about $5 and save yourself the cost of shipping from buying online.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:28 AM
OHV notec wrote:I still think my best purchase ever was my Harbor Freight caliper piston compressor:

i have something like this... called vice grips. makes a 30 minute brake job a 15 minute brake job. they are the big c channel ones.

if i have the car in the air. i can get the wheels off, both rotors swapped, and all the pads swapped over and wheels back on in about 15 minutes.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:29 PM
Jeffrey M White wrote:

I found that using a rag actually works quite well...put it in between the panel and the handle and just spin and pull...only problem is the moon clip has a tendency to go air bourne afterwards.

I have 2 of these tools also and i still prefer a rag. It works fist shot and it will not scratch the door panel.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 4:15 PM
telescoping magnet... for all those sockets that fall just out of reach.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 5:24 PM
ahfunaki wrote:There is a Harbor Freight local to me. Their stuff is very cheap and for the most part works well...
I have no complaints about them, for the money it can't be beat...
There are a bunch of HF's around here (one less than a mile away). Be weary of anything with an electric motor (you may have to rebuild it in short time), or anything that needs to be stiff (bender, beader), or tight & strong (X-Y table, torque wrench). I've also had a set of digital calipers go haywire. Oh yeah, don't expect a Phillips head screwdriver to last either.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

***BREAKING NEWS*** notec's steps to a brighter American future:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=36&i=58477&t=58099#58477

Sunday, February 22, 2009 5:46 PM
hose clamp pliers
pick tool
flexible 1/4" socket extension
cordless drill

14.82 @ 97 mph
Monday, February 23, 2009 3:17 AM
yea there are a couple harbor freights around here. some of the tools are alright, but i wouldnt trust some of them either.

Monday, February 23, 2009 11:46 AM

best random useful tool ever. It helps to take any car apart in half the time.
Milwaukee Offset Right Angle Attachment

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:28 AM
D.S.S. Cavalier wrote:
best random useful tool ever. It helps to take any car apart in half the time.
Milwaukee Offset Right Angle Attachment

is that for a drill?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:43 AM
It can be used in a drill...

Yea, those things are awesome. A bunch of companies make them...

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:37 AM
all this depends on the job/jobs you normally do. I have about $50k in mechanics tools total, and i still wish i had "that tool"

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:08 PM
John Benham wrote:all this depends on the job/jobs you normally do. I have about $50k in mechanics tools total, and i still wish i had "that tool"

yea that.

i only have about $1000 invested, but i still always run in to a tool i wish i had. just tonight i was rotating the tires on the truck. this is the first time i have rotated my tires since all my tools got ripped off and replaced. once they were rotated and i went to torque them down, i realized that i didn't have any socket extensions. i had them before, but now some @!#$ has them. i've done tons of odd jobs on my vehicles and around the house in the year since my tools were ripped off and never ran in to a situation where i needed an extension...until tonight...when my truck was up on jack stands with no tires on. stupid thieves.

on and the pivoting and extending magnet is always awesome to have.

GO PATS!!!
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 1:17 PM
Matt Burgess wrote:
Jeffrey M White wrote:

I found that using a rag actually works quite well...put it in between the panel and the handle and just spin and pull...only problem is the moon clip has a tendency to go air bourne afterwards.

I have 2 of these tools also and i still prefer a rag. It works fist shot and it will not scratch the door panel.

i used to use the rag trick before i got the actual tool... i find the tool a hell of a lot easier because most of the time you can get the clip to stay in the handle... and less air born clips... lol to bad i bought the tool after i bought like 50 of the clips... now i have a ton that i dont need... lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search