Suggestions on making this site better? - Page 6 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Suggestions on making this site better?
Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:11 PM
(tabs) wrote:
the outlaw wrote:I agree respect has to be earned. I was more talking about members signing up and seeing all this and then going away. I'm not whining. It was just a suggestion as to what I feel is one of the contributing factors to this site dying down.

whateva u r dumb lol diacf! fggt!

lol

Friday, November 14, 2008 4:21 AM
we should change the way posting works. i hate posting in a thread that im active in, only to post and have to click on that post again to go back in. any other forum, you post and it just adds your post next, you dont have to go back through the thread to get to your post.

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:44 AM
What I really think needs to be done around here, is bring back April Fools day.

I was never around for them, but I hear they were quite awsome.......like who wants to be a mod??

especially with all these people wanting to be mods

just sayin......

Friday, November 14, 2008 12:24 PM
JHand wrote:if you somehow made the classified into regional sections, how bout something like a stickey type forum thats like a link sort of that shows the classified section thats split up for that specific region.

That's basically what I was talking about in my previous post. You will be able to specify a region (and optionally any adjoining region) to your classified post. Then using that information, along with being able to view classifieds by category as it currently is, you will be able to view by region as well. This will then be tied in with the regional forums, so you can easily go back and forth between the two.

AWD GS wrote:we should change the way posting works. i hate posting in a thread that im active in, only to post and have to click on that post again to go back in. any other forum, you post and it just adds your post next, you dont have to go back through the thread to get to your post.

Thats interesting. Personally I have always hated that about other forum software (phpbb, vbulletin, etc). When I am done posting, I want to go back to the list page, not to the message. It never made any sense to me to have that page in between. It was a waste of time and clicking, to me. If other people want this though, it would be very simple for me to implement. Perhaps make it an option if you want to automatically go to the list, to the post, or see the page that lets you choose, as other forums have.

John Benham wrote:What I really think needs to be done around here, is bring back April Fools day.

I don't think I've ever missed doing something every 4/1 day. The moderator application one was good, but I think the turbosport contest one wins as the best ever.

Anyhow, good ideas so far, keep 'em coming if you got 'em. Whatever you think of - doesn't necessarily have to be about the forums or classifieds. Anything you got.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, November 14, 2008 12:29 PM
AWD GS wrote:we should change the way posting works. i hate posting in a thread that im active in, only to post and have to click on that post again to go back in. any other forum, you post and it just adds your post next, you dont have to go back through the thread to get to your post.

Thats interesting. Personally I have always hated that about other forum software (phpbb, vbulletin, etc). When I am done posting, I want to go back to the list page, not to the message. It never made any sense to me to have that page in between. It was a waste of time and clicking, to me. If other people want this though, it would be very simple for me to implement. Perhaps make it an option if you want to automatically go to the list, to the post, or see the page that lets you choose, as other forums have.

same here. that's one thing i always hated about other forums. it just means one more click or more to get back to where you started. IDK about you guys, but I don't need to re-read whatever I just posted. If I feel that I do...i'll click the topic again.

and John...Dave hasn't missed an april fools day since I've been around. I think this past year was the ability to edit other peoples posts. And the Mod application a few years back was classic. I applied

Friday, November 14, 2008 12:37 PM
J03Y wrote:

same here. that's one thing i always hated about other forums. it just means one more click or more to get back to where you started. IDK about you guys, but I don't need to re-read whatever I just posted. If I feel that I do...i'll click the topic again.

and John...Dave hasn't missed an april fools day since I've been around. I think this past year was the ability to edit other peoples posts. And the Mod application a few years back was classic. I applied

The mod application was last year if I remember right, This year was the Rick Roll AG button and allowing none premium members into AG for one day.

Friday, November 14, 2008 12:38 PM
Dave wrote:

I like the idea as well. Another feature I've seen that I really like is a notification that someone has made a post after the thread was loaded. We have this on our car club's forums, and I really like having that. If someone has submitted a new post while I am typing one, instead of making my post it brings back the page with a notification that other posts have been made, and gives me the option to revise my post before submitting it.

Friday, November 14, 2008 12:55 PM
Bubba 2.0 GLS wrote:
J03Y wrote:

The mod application was last year if I remember right, This year was the Rick Roll AG button and allowing none premium members into AG for one day.

you're right...i forgot about the rick roll......but the mod app had to have been at least 2 years ago. i think it was my first or 2nd year on JBO. then again, my memory is shiot, lol

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:00 PM
J03Y wrote:

i use to not like it til i starting whore up a thread on another forum and its just much easier if your staying active in that thread instead of having to click on the thread after you post and scroll all the way down.

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:40 PM
i prefer the auto exit to the forum also. although when whoring it could def be useful, so i vote for it to be an option

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:37 PM
How about having a notification email sent when someone pm's you. I would love that.

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:11 AM
Shadowfire wrote: Another feature I've seen that I really like is a notification that someone has made a post after the thread was loaded. We have this on our car club's forums, and I really like having that. If someone has submitted a new post while I am typing one, instead of making my post it brings back the page with a notification that other posts have been made, and gives me the option to revise my post before submitting it.

damn, I really like that idea I will admit this tho, in the 7 yrs I've been here (and 3 accounts I've had), I still dont know what those lil yellow stars are for next to the usernames at the top of a post.... never really gave it much thought til now... now, on to my ideas

1. make the Classifieds a forum, plain and simple.. something along the lines of VWvortex.com or similar. I like how its divided into part types and other sub-catergories, but just redesigning the actual ad to make it like a normal thread would do wonders without doing alot. and to incorporate Regionals, why not make a link list at the top of the Classified page for each region ( kinda like how you have AG and AAG at the top of the Off-Topic forum page)? if you make a seperate Classified thread in each Regional, you're gonna have double posts there and in the actual Classifieds. and yes, the "post count before you can post classifieds" is an awesome idea..

2. rather than have a visible post count, I think it'd be better to have a rating system. on Twisted Metal Alliance, you get a "rating" under your post-name after you been there long enough (Member, Commish, Admin, etc.), and I think that'd work wonders here, especially with people not knowing who the Mods are. also, can someone explain to me what the f*ck the "karma" thing is?

3. cracking down on flaming. not trying to be a crybaby bitch, but I hate seeing good threads go down 'cause 2 or 3 f*cktards wanna have an e-battle with no winners... damn keyboard warriors

4. dont change a whole lot, 'cause I think it was (tabs) who said that this is one of the cleanest and easiest sites to get around in, and I agree 110%.. I love how this site is different than the rest, and we all heard the old saying: "if it aint broke, dont fix it". most sites have the vertical left-side bar with the posters name and site info in it, and usually an avatar. thats played out.. this is the only one I know of that does it horizontal across the top of the post, and there's no need to go and f*ck that up.. jus sayin.

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:22 AM
oh yea, and...

5. ideas for motor/engine threads: one, either do the aforementioned idea of adding links at the top of the home forum page.. in this case, on the Performance page, put an individual link up for each motor (another example would be the Jacked/Wrecked/Sold link at the top of the Genral forum.. so something like that); or, just sticky an OFFICIAL thread for each motor at the top of Performance and be done with it. I think both ideas would work nicely

Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:45 AM
I'm pretty sure the yellow star means premium... correct me if i'm wrong...

and I think the mods should get maybe 2 stars or something, so everyone knows who the mods are... anything to designate them as mods.

and yeah, don't change too much, i like it just the way it is.
Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:07 AM
Yep, the yellow stars(like i have) mean that person is a premy member.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:23 PM
my renewal was a few days before Halloween, but I havent had work since September so I'm late this yr and just when I need it most for all the Classifieds I need to post

Friday, January 02, 2009 4:47 PM
one little thing ..

on the home page where the recent posts show up, put a hover preview like the forums have.

this one is probably significant work.
track each member's last visit and highlight what posts are newer than their last visit in each forum

14.82 @ 97 mph
Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:06 PM
when a topic is replied to- send ONE notification, so inboxes don't get jammed. With some email providers they get filtered to a junk mail folder and deleted so they're never seen; with others they exceed message space quota, especially since sigs are sent as well

this is an example of a notification message from TruckstopUSA:

Quote:

Dear EagleAce,

Kranky 1 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - 1-16-09 where's everyone headed to - in the Drivers RoundTable forum of Truckstop USA.

This thread is located at:
http://www.truckstopusa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24719&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by Pipeman)---
They'll have you deck off the trailer and bring your tractor around to the back to pull the pallets.
---End Quote---
I think Dave's 5th wheel will suddenly be "jammed" when they ask him to unhook & do that!:rofl2[1]:

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!
Friday, March 20, 2009 9:48 AM
How about a block or ignore function?

"You cannot make a poor man wealthy by making a wealthy man poor"
"The inmates are running the Asylum"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search