My Dealership Experience - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My Dealership Experience
Friday, May 01, 2009 3:18 PM
So I was in desperate need of manual shift cables this week so I could drive my car (the old ones were pretty ruined). And none of the junkyards had any, I mean not a single one! So, after trying all the autoparts stores around here I had to go to the dealership. The price was $171.36. Ugh...

They told me it would be in the next morning, so I gave them my name, number, paid for it, and my ride took me home.

Now I actually live a good 40 minutes from the dealership and I felt bad asking my friend who had given me a ride before to take me up there again, but I had no choice. I need my car for work, school, and driving my family around. So, he took the time to drive me up there around 4:00, well after the 10 AM time they said the part would be in.

When we got there, I asked for the part. They took enough time out of being loud and unproffesional to go look fo it. They came back and said

'It won't be in till tomorrow.'

'Why?'

'We didn't order the part till after 4 so it goes to the next day'.

'But you told me ten o clock?'

'Yea, won't be here till tomorrow though'

'Well didn't you guys think to call me back and say it wouldn't be here?' (I had called them earlier to double check it would arrive a 10)

'Uh, no' (goes back to being loud/unproffesional looking)

Now, I am not one to raise a stink unneccesarily. Bu I f###in took off work, made my friend drive over an hour, and paid a crap load of money cause I really needed the part quickly. Am I over-reacting or is that not a really crappy way for them to do business? F'in A.

Has anyone else had something like this happen? I hate whining about stupid stuff but this really got to me, mainly the fact that they just didn't seem to give a crap.

/end pointless rant

Re: My Dealership Experience
Friday, May 01, 2009 4:21 PM
That sucks man. Your closest GM dealer is 40 minutes away?

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, May 01, 2009 4:36 PM
bbb them for the hell of it

Friday, May 01, 2009 5:15 PM
just order a crap load of pizza for that place ... hahah that should put a smile on their face... damn 40mins away ? i have a chevy dealer ship at every direction you point too.. lol from 5mins away to not even 20... and that like 5-6 dealers. but mabe not for long.

Friday, May 01, 2009 7:01 PM
AZ24Ncav wrote:just order a crap load of pizza for that place

haha good idea, reminds me and my buddy ordered pizza from marcos to little ceasers, haha funniest @!#$ ever

Friday, May 01, 2009 8:50 PM
paying for parts before you pick them up is a no-no.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Friday, May 01, 2009 10:42 PM
You would be suprised how busy some of those people are. Doesnt suprise me they didnt call you. Plus if you talked to parts, they are not really worried how you feel about them. They dont get credited for customer satisfaction. Especially when they dont make that much money off you. And these days, again I wouldnt be suprised.

I usually ask them "where" its at in stock if they dont have it and I will drive and go get it. Or if I were you, I would have called with the part number and asked if they had it in stock. If they dont, tell them you ordered yesterday from them, and when will it be in. Usually when you say you had someone order something the day before, they will go ahead and say its there just because it more than likely is... but not always.

I work for a dealership. These are the sad facts. ALWAYS act like the dealership is oblivious lol.

Saturday, May 02, 2009 9:07 AM
Plain and simple common sense would have helped you a lot.

Why not call and confirm they have the part before killing your day?

I do even before driving across town to a parts store to see if they ordered the right size serp belt for me.

Saturday, May 02, 2009 9:09 AM
^^^

Rahjee wrote:I had called them earlier to double check it would arrive at 10

Reading > You

Saturday, May 02, 2009 9:12 AM
Rahjee [rkm1989 wrote:]^^^

Reading > You

big time

Saturday, May 02, 2009 11:23 AM
I think they just suck

I had to order shift cables from the dealership too.... there expensive... but I talked to the guy on the phone.... he made sure he ordered the right cables..... and they called me first thing in the morning when they saw the box was there with my name on it to let me know they where there...... but I never pay for the part until it's in my hand.

Some of the guys in the parts department can be a little pissy sometimes.... prob because they constantly have people that dont know what there talking about telling them their wrong.... but I've never had any problems with the one close to me like your talking about. If there is a 2 day or so window when the part might show up.... they tell me that..... and I usually get a phone call around 8AM when it gets there..... and if I cant get it that day... I just call them and tell them I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Saturday, May 02, 2009 11:43 AM
AZ24Ncav wrote:just order a crap load of pizza for that place ... hahah that should put a smile on their face... damn 40mins away ? i have a chevy dealer ship at every direction you point too.. lol from 5mins away to not even 20... and that like 5-6 dealers. but mabe not for long.

It's funny you should say that, we stopped and got pizza on the way home to cheer me up lol.

randizzle wrote:paying for parts before you pick them up is a no-no.

That's the only way they would order it

CraiGT wrote:You would be suprised how busy some of those people are. Doesnt suprise me they didnt call you. Plus if you talked to parts, they are not really worried how you feel about them. They dont get credited for customer satisfaction. Especially when they dont make that much money off you. And these days, again I wouldnt be suprised.

I usually ask them "where" its at in stock if they dont have it and I will drive and go get it. Or if I were you, I would have called with the part number and asked if they had it in stock. If they dont, tell them you ordered yesterday from them, and when will it be in. Usually when you say you had someone order something the day before, they will go ahead and say its there just because it more than likely is... but not always.

I work for a dealership. These are the sad facts. ALWAYS act like the dealership is oblivious lol.

That makes alot of sense, thank you

Weebel wrote:I think they just suck

I had to order shift cables from the dealership too.... there expensive... but I talked to the guy on the phone.... he made sure he ordered the right cables..... and they called me first thing in the morning when they saw the box was there with my name on it to let me know they where there...... but I never pay for the part until it's in my hand.

Some of the guys in the parts department can be a little pissy sometimes.... prob because they constantly have people that dont know what there talking about telling them their wrong.... but I've never had any problems with the one close to me like your talking about. If there is a 2 day or so window when the part might show up.... they tell me that..... and I usually get a phone call around 8AM when it gets there..... and if I cant get it that day... I just call them and tell them I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Yea, they sort of redeemed themselves this morning by calling me to say it was in, they could probably tell I was a little annoyed last time.

Had my dad pick up the part today, but it goes on tomorrow cause I have work then prom tonight, gonna have to drive my mom's Expedition

Saturday, May 02, 2009 12:46 PM
CraiGT wrote:You would be suprised how busy some of those people are. Doesnt suprise me they didnt call you. Plus if you talked to parts, they are not really worried how you feel about them. They dont get credited for customer satisfaction. Especially when they dont make that much money off you. And these days, again I wouldnt be suprised.

unfortunately thats the truth. parts guys can be pretty unreliable sometimes, but they deal with a lotta other ppl throughout the day, not to mention the techs who are ordering @!#$ all day. this kinda thing happens all the time @ my dealership. it sucks to have to be the customer on the other end of it but it happens.

Saturday, May 02, 2009 5:49 PM
i can't say that i dont know how you feel. i have had MANY horrible dealership experiences. one i go to right now are ok, keep the car clean when they work on it all that good stuff. the other dealership would have my car sitting for a week, grease all over the inside, crappy uncaring manager.. its how it goes dude. sucks but just the way it is!

Sunday, May 03, 2009 5:24 PM
i always call before i get something, never trust what they tell you. they may say its tomorrow but the truck could be late. the order could have gotten placed late, the part could suddenly be on backorder. call before you go. i always have them call me when the part comes in. that way none of my time is wasted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, May 03, 2009 10:12 PM
sndsgood wrote:call before you go.

Reading > You

I did call them before.

Monday, May 04, 2009 4:27 AM
Rahjee [rkm1989 wrote:]

Reading > You

I did call them before.

sorry but calling them to double check that it will arrive versusactually having them say yes its here im looking at it now are two diffrent things. they can't gaurentee that the truck will make it there. all they can assume is that it will arrive. reading doesn't own me at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, May 04, 2009 9:46 AM
That is what I was saying too. Calling before the part is supposed to come in does no good.

In most cases the person you ask will have little idea who ordered it initially and probably, at least in their own minds, not have enough time to find out to be able to check it out properly.

That's just the way it goes. Raise enough hell and they might've knocked a few bucks off, or given you a few percent off of your order. Reading doesn't own me, managing full time in parts stores and working at a dealership parts counter does. I know how the game goes way too well.

Monday, May 04, 2009 9:48 AM
Am I to assume from this that YOU have NEVER made a mistake that impacted someone's life in a negative manner??

If you answer yes, good for you! It must be hard maintaining that level of perfection I would guess.

Cut the guy a little slack, his dealer is probably on the list to be terminated, business is probably WAY down, his commission check reflects all of this and he could very well be out of job in the near future.

You really should have called before you left and asked if it was IN, not when is it projected to be in.
An accident on the Freeway or mechanical trouble could have stalled the truck bringing it to the dealer, factors totally out of anyone's ability to control.

Why didn't the parts guy order it before 4 PM? I don't know but I'm sure it wasn't just to piss you off, something happened that caused him to delay the order. When I was in parts I would often tell a later time frame and then call them when it came in beforehand. They are ALWAYS happy to have it sooner and almost always pissed off to get it later!

Dave
Monday, May 04, 2009 9:53 AM
I worked in parts for many years, this @!#$ happens on a daily basis.

Monday, May 04, 2009 10:11 AM
KFLO wrote:
.........That's just the way it goes. Raise enough hell and they might've knocked a few bucks off, or given you a few percent off of your order........ .

Sure, you might get a few bucks off but be aware that the price you are charged and the service you get are very often directly connected to exactly how big of a Pain in the Arse you are to the counter people. What you do today may very well affect what happens to you tomorrow if you shop at the same location.
Been there, done that to people.
The best is when their first comment is "what kind of a discount will I get?" (the price automatically went up for them with that comment).

Dave

Monday, May 04, 2009 10:30 AM
I work in parts at a GM dealership and we always call when parts come in. Generally our warehouse in Chicago has them so if the are ordered by 3pm they arrive the next day, but things happen. Trucks are late, shipments arent always correct, so on and so forth. It sucks that they didnt call you and tell you it wasnt there, but you could have called ahead of time. Not bashing you at all, because the way you are makin git sound they acted very unprofessional, but like stated by me and others...call first.

Monday, May 04, 2009 5:31 PM
sndsgood wrote:

Reading > You

I did call them before.

sorry but calling them to double check that it will arrive versusactually having them say yes its here im looking at it now are two diffrent things. they can't gaurentee that the truck will make it there. all they can assume is that it will arrive. reading doesn't own me at all.

If you actually did read the thread, you would have seen 'reading owns you' is what I said to the guy before, not you. That is called a quote...

david keevil wrote:Am I to assume from this that YOU have NEVER made a mistake that impacted someone's life in a negative manner??

If you answer yes, good for you! It must be hard maintaining that level of perfection I would guess.

Cut the guy a little slack, his dealer is probably on the list to be terminated, business is probably WAY down, his commission check reflects all of this and he could very well be out of job in the near future.

You really should have called before you left and asked if it was IN, not when is it projected to be in.
An accident on the Freeway or mechanical trouble could have stalled the truck bringing it to the dealer, factors totally out of anyone's ability to control.

Why didn't the parts guy order it before 4 PM? I don't know but I'm sure it wasn't just to piss you off, something happened that caused him to delay the order. When I was in parts I would often tell a later time frame and then call them when it came in beforehand. They are ALWAYS happy to have it sooner and almost always pissed off to get it later!

Wow, way to be a douche. When did I say I was perfect? Not sure where you got that from. And I am sure I have negatively impacted someone's life at many points, I just give a rats ass when I do and try to be atleast a little sympathetic.

KFLO wrote:Raise enough hell and they might've knocked a few bucks off, or given you a few percent off of your order.

KFLO wrote:I worked in parts for many years, this @!#$ happens on a daily basis.

So what you're saying is that this happens every day but I should raise hell for the guy? Screw that, I may be upset about it but I find it really childish when people 'raise hell' about stuff like that in a place of business. Imagine if everyone this happened to every day 'raised hell', then I couldn't blame the guy for being a douche.

Twisted Cav(sdwndr2) wrote:I work in parts at a GM dealership and we always call when parts come in. Generally our warehouse in Chicago has them so if the are ordered by 3pm they arrive the next day, but things happen. Trucks are late, shipments arent always correct, so on and so forth. It sucks that they didnt call you and tell you it wasnt there, but you could have called ahead of time. Not bashing you at all, because the way you are makin git sound they acted very unprofessional, but like stated by me and others...call first.

Yes, I will definitely call right before I leave from now on. I was in class right up until I left so I figured I would just call before that. Oh well, lesson learned. Ultimately I got the part in and everything ended up ok, I was really more upset with the level of proffessionalism like you said.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:45 AM

Wow, way to be a douche. When did I say I was perfect? Not sure where you got that from. And I am sure I have negatively impacted someone's life at many points, I just give a rats ass when I do and try to be atleast a little sympathetic.

You really like the word "douche" I've noticed. Really, name calling is rather immature and childish. I was only saying chill, mistakes happen, we all make them, you get no sympathy for you should have CALLED before you left if it is that far of a ride, common sense comes into play here.

Dave

(Now, I can't wait for the updated name calling, let's see what ones you learned on the playground today)
Tuesday, May 05, 2009 4:22 AM
"If you actually did read the thread, you would have seen 'reading owns you' is what I said to the guy before, not you. That is called a quote..."

i noticed it was for the person above, but then you made sure it was in the quotes when you responded to me so i am led to believe you wanted that speacial little quote to be for me as well. if you had not, then you likely wouldn't have used that quote to use.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search