Junk Yards going away - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Junk Yards going away
Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:36 PM
I didn't know where to post this at so here goes. This past weekend I was at my local junk yard and they were having everyone sign a petition. At first I was going to blow it off but then one of the employees started to explain what it was for. Apparently, (according to what he said) our new president Obama wants to shut down all of the junk yards and they were trying to fight it with the petition. I am unsure as to the details but if this happens then all of our part needs will have to come from the Stealership and I for one will not be very happy. Unfortunately, that is all I know now but if anyone knows more about this please enlighten us.

Re: Junk Yards going away
Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:20 PM
I just can't see this happening. I've seen more cars on the road that are 10+ years old than I ever have before. Companies are only required to supply parts for a discontinued model for 10 years. Please show me a link of supporting proof.

"The J's weren't designed to be sports cars, the suspension sucks, the brakes are tiny, and the target market for our car doesn't need to be able to do any more than 65mph." - Shifted

A more accurate observation has never been typed. These should be the starting points before any serious performance modification. What's the point of making a serious performer if you can't control it's power?

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:33 PM
IM gunna have to raise the BS flag on this one also

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:45 PM
I could see someone propose this as a way to help the dealerships / car manufacturers get more money, but it would never happen.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:44 AM
Well this was from LKQ in Houston, TX the one that used to be Pick-A-Part. I didn't believe it myself but when a petition is being signed to stop it there must be some sort of issue at hand. Also, like I said an employee was telling us this on Monday the 25, so if it is BS then I'll leave it at that I just wanted to see if there was more meat behind this but if not then there is nothing to worry about.
Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:53 PM
I have a hard time believing the government would force (or try to) a legitimate business to shut down with out legal merit.....

But wait....... There doing that to dealerships.... so who F-ing knows anymore....

I still dont believe it though.

Friday, May 29, 2009 4:00 AM
Weebel wrote:I have a hard time believing the government would force (or try to) a legitimate business to shut down with out legal merit.....

But wait....... There doing that to dealerships.... so who F-ing knows anymore....

I still dont believe it though.

well if you can't get spare parts and you have to pay the dealership 100x what the junkyard is asking for a part, gm would be backing to making trillions of dollars in profit in no time lol.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, May 29, 2009 4:21 AM
Xavier Canon wrote:I just can't see this happening. I've seen more cars on the road that are 10+ years old than I ever have before. Companies are only required to supply parts for a discontinued model for 10 years. Please show me a link of supporting proof.

I need to find the list again but there have been many proposed bills over the past few years that were aimed at removing vehicles more than 5-10 years old (it varied between the proposals) from the road.

Friday, May 29, 2009 9:09 AM
Doesn't suprise me. There used to be 3 in one of the suburbs of Toledo, then that suburb wanted them gone so they wrote legislation to make the junkyards illegal and now they're gone. Suburbs and small communities have come up with interesting laws to screw car enthusiasts out of their project vehicles or sources of parts.

Friday, May 29, 2009 10:06 PM
mitdr774 wrote:
Xavier Canon wrote:I just can't see this happening. I've seen more cars on the road that are 10+ years old than I ever have before. Companies are only required to supply parts for a discontinued model for 10 years. Please show me a link of supporting proof.

I need to find the list again but there have been many proposed bills over the past few years that were aimed at removing vehicles more than 5-10 years old (it varied between the proposals) from the road.

OK the junkyard thing..... I could understand...... but that?...... That is complete BS cut and dry....

Ooopp.... your cars 11 years old...... time to junk it... (even if its like new).... thats not going to happen...... ever.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:58 AM
To clarify my statement, many people are falling back to well-maintained, older vehicles in this time of economic downturn. Instead of buying a newer car, people are finding bargains in older cars. I've talked to a few owner/operator service shops, and business is absolutely up; in excess of a 70% jump in business. I just can't see the demise of local junkyards when mechanics are still offering used replacement parts of a much lesser price than new, factory parts. This doesn't seem probable.

"The J's weren't designed to be sports cars, the suspension sucks, the brakes are tiny, and the target market for our car doesn't need to be able to do any more than 65mph." - Shifted

A more accurate observation has never been typed. These should be the starting points before any serious performance modification. What's the point of making a serious performer if you can't control it's power?

Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:45 AM
Actually, it's not so much people finding deals on older cars. it's that the banks we were forced to bail out are not returning the favor. nobody can get a loan, and if you can the interest on it is totally unacceptable. if people can't get a loan they are forced to drive what they have vs. buy new.

I'm actually really suprised that not one media outlet or even the auto makers themselves don't realize that. they are offering programs that buy back your car if you lose your job, or help with payments, and all kinds of great offers. but the REAL problem is there is no credit being extended to new car buyers. THAT's what's keeping dealers empty.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Saturday, May 30, 2009 3:26 AM
Hi,

Reading this my initial gut reaction was that this is a LOCAL issue affecting this local Junk Yard. It may also affect a number of them in a given geographic location. Most likely there are neighbors with issues, some developer wants this lot to complete his "redevelopment" of the area or some such issue. The yard is probably fighting city hall and this for once isn't the Fed's stepping in to control or eliminate any one issue.

Honestly, Junkyards are a cesspool of pollution and environmental damage issues. Sure they recycle and some of the newer / nicer yards do it in a responsible fashion but many are still dripping fluids and toxic substances into our aquifers and rivers.

I remember as a kid in the 60's just cutting a fuel line to get a gas tank out, dumping 20 gallons onto the soil, engines leaking oil, cut brake lines, etc. The yard was almost as hard as asphalt from decades of oiling the surface!

There is a Yard outside of Hawley Pa. that is right on the River and the pile of debris extends down to and into the water! I haven't been there for 10 years or so now but at the time I thought that this can't be good for anyone!
Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:49 AM
david keevil wrote:

Honestly, Junkyards are a cesspool of pollution and environmental damage issues. Sure they recycle and some of the newer / nicer yards do it in a responsible fashion but many are still dripping fluids and toxic substances into our aquifers and rivers.

most junkyards these days drain the fluids of cars and trucks before they even enter the yard. then they use the fluids to heat and cool the office

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:40 AM
99redz24 wrote:
david keevil wrote:

most junkyards these days drain the fluids of cars and trucks before they even enter the yard. then they use the fluids to heat and cool the office

Hi,

Is there a major difference between Most Drain and Many still drip???

I'm guessing we have about the same quantity in mind.

Dave
Saturday, May 30, 2009 12:26 PM
all the yards ive been too do drain the cars and trucks

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:59 PM
I can understand gas and antifreeze..

But OIL?..... where do you people think it comes from in the first place LOL

Ya I know its refined.... but some people (environmentalists) make a much bigger deal out of this stuff than it really is.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:42 PM
blow off tree hugger.....

i say we pollute more.....

<~~~~PWN3D!!
Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:53 AM
Caboose wrote:blow off tree hugger.....

Ahhh, children......

Do a little bit of research and find out what this country (USA) was like before the EPA came along! The pollution was unbelievable! Rivers literally could burn, some smelled of chemicals and even visually they were sad. The old classic ad of the crying Indian (Ok, I showed my age, Native American) was absolutely true and NOT an exaggeration. When they drilled for oil in Western Pa. a hundred years ago, every tree was cut down and the ground was covered with puddles of crude and oil derricks covered the horizon like a field of ugly Christmas trees.

In lieu of research, read about China's current environment and the mess they have created today with uncontrolled or unregulated industrial growth. Not at all unlike the USA not very long ago.
Sunday, May 31, 2009 8:17 AM
man i hate tree huggers........your the reason the fun old days are gone.....

stupid emisions standards.....and the world largest scam people call like to global warming......

what a bucket o' crap...

seriously

<~~~~PWN3D!!
Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:03 PM
you only live once!!!

Sunday, May 31, 2009 10:16 PM
Weebel wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:

OK the junkyard thing..... I could understand...... but that?...... That is complete BS cut and dry....

Ooopp.... your cars 11 years old...... time to junk it... (even if its like new).... thats not going to happen...... ever.

Actually, it could be very possible. You only have to look at California to see where things may head...

Monday, June 01, 2009 9:50 AM
Personally it sounds more like a environmental issue.

david keevil wrote:
Caboose wrote:blow off tree hugger.....

Ahhh, children......

Do a little bit of research and find out what this country (USA) was like before the EPA came along! The pollution was unbelievable! Rivers literally could burn, some smelled of chemicals and even visually they were sad. The old classic ad of the crying Indian (Ok, I showed my age, Native American) was absolutely true and NOT an exaggeration. When they drilled for oil in Western Pa. a hundred years ago, every tree was cut down and the ground was covered with puddles of crude and oil derricks covered the horizon like a field of ugly Christmas trees.

In lieu of research, read about China's current environment and the mess they have created today with uncontrolled or unregulated industrial growth. Not at all unlike the USA not very long ago.

There are people that has never traveled, much less go to a place that you need a passport. That being said, some have not expiranced other country's low pollution control and see how pollution can turn a white shirt grey and turn your buggers black just by walking to point A to point B. Some live in rural areas where if they see 100 cars a day; it is "traffic" and never see dirty air or water.
Worst, some just don't understand that this is the only habitable planet that man knows of. Yes, some hippies exaggerate it, but I think it's a tactic to get a point across.

Quote:

I have a hard time believing the government would force (or try to) a legitimate business to shut down with out legal merit.....

Correction, private sector of GM is the one dictating this aspect.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, June 01, 2009 8:03 PM
Dave Z wrote:
Weebel wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:

Actually, it could be very possible. You only have to look at California to see where things may head...

@!#$ California....

They can come try and take my car if they want...

And on a realistic note:

90% of the cars on the road fit that description..... what are all those people going to do? Walk? If they could afford a new car they would have one.

Thats not happening... even if they try..... You think these classic muscle car owners are just going to hand over thier cars too?

People would be getting shot and killed in driveways all over the country.....

Its not going to happen.

It would leave at least 75% of our population without vehicles..

Your stupid if you think this is probable.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 3:58 AM
Weebel wrote:
Dave Z wrote:
Weebel wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:

@!#$ California....

They can come try and take my car if they want...

And on a realistic note:

90% of the cars on the road fit that description..... what are all those people going to do? Walk? If they could afford a new car they would have one.

Thats not happening... even if they try..... You think these classic muscle car owners are just going to hand over thier cars too?

People would be getting shot and killed in driveways all over the country.....

Its not going to happen.

It would leave at least 75% of our population without vehicles..

Your stupid if you think this is probable.

Hi,

It's not at all stupid for thinking this could happen. Not only is it possible, it is also probable. The process is already in motion, not only by the Federal Government with their current bill to remove older substandard cars from the Nation's highways, the process is well underway in individual States that have a mandatory Vehicle inspection system.
They are already weeding out the old and frail, those with excess cancer or bad engines. Even newer cars that need multiple emission parts serviced or replaced. If you fail the State inspection, you park your car and the registration in some States will be pulled. The poor who cannot, or those with money who will not, don't get the car fixed, it isn't a financial possibility or desire, off it goes, the highways are minus one old car. There are laws in many States the make it really hard to retitle a car once it enters the junk yard for any reason.

It's happening, sadly you can do nothing about it and yes, as goes California in regards to automobiles, goes the rest of the Nation.

Now that FIAT is going to be back in the USA with their cheap cars (oh, in so many ways) it may become possible to flood the Nation with affordable newer cars, not unlike the Hyundai or Yugo of days long gone. The 850 Sedan will rise again!!!!

If you don't mind, I'd really like to see you quote the sources for your statistics about the quantity and percentages of older cars running on the Nations highways. I really doubt that they are real and they sound a tad manufactured by the author.

Dave
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search