Ideas for my first J-body?? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ideas for my first J-body??
Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:08 AM
My 95 cavalier will finally be on the road. Its also my first car, so im pretty stoked

Im pretty pumped, after months of waiting to get a job sorted out, finish school, get my car insured, registered and to an out of privince inspection, its finally almost ready... I know they have their problems but seems like a good first car. Cheap and I'll learn basic maintenance. and after being on this sight for a few months i already feel attached to cavaliers. (dont know if thats good or bad, lol)

So what are some cool simple things I could do with it to start?? Any ideas are appreciated =D

I will be insalling subs and speakers, amping everything, but I was thinking putting blue LEDs in and around the car. what to you guys think of that? easy to do?

Re: Ideas for my first J-body??
Saturday, April 24, 2010 3:35 PM
keep it stock. save money. in a couple years you'll wish you had.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, April 24, 2010 4:43 PM
i agree with grayo!

OEM CAMBER/CASTER KIT 10 People for $210 <P>
GOT ECOTEC?
Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:19 PM
since you mentioned audio, do that first. it's simple and if/when you upgrade you can take it with you.

second, what direction do you want to go with this car? power, show car, mix of the two, handling, etc? decide that and get back to us. a lot of people start with basic bolt ons, ie intake, header, exhaust. also rims and lowering kit are usually a must.

Check out my build thread!

Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:16 PM
Definitely exhaust... makes it more fun to drive and definitely shave the badges (cleans it up a lot) or tint teh tail lights if you are in to that if you are on a small budget, then the little, fairly cheap mods once in a while are good too. They go a long way.

Rollin' on 16's*
Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:39 AM
Im not looking to be spending thousands and thousands. Just little things. Especialy to start. And right now im just looking for appearance. Mainly the interior. just little mods. But im likeing the idea of tinting the tail lights.
Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:02 AM
yeah the tinting the tail lights looks great and is really cheap. You could also paint some interior trim or something like that.

Rollin' on 16's*
Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:16 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:keep it stock. save money. in a couple years you'll wish you had.

Agreed. Putting cash into a 15 year old J isn't the best move IMO.

There isn't much you can do to the interior for cheap that will look good. Stay away from painting random pieces you can take off, and avoid cheesy floor mats. There's the classic clear HVAC knob thing from 10 years ago I went with cheesy seat covers in my early years & kept them on as a joke for many years afterwards, but I wouldn't recommend going that route either. Um...you can change the color of you dome light pretty cheap, but that will also make it hard to see. Under dash neons could be something, but really what good are they unless you're into hanging out in parking lots...another mistake I put on my car in the early years.

The only cheap mods I'd do to a car like yours is maybe an intake & a strut tower bar.

Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:38 PM
Alright, thanks for the input guys.

I think I am going to swap out some of the light grey interior for the dark graphite grey and the seats to the darker ones. then I will probably buy some dye and do the carpet and headliner black. I like the look much better and it can all be done for less then 100 that way also i will have done something to it and feel like the car is my own.
Saturday, May 08, 2010 9:59 AM
superbrightleds.com & oznium.com
really cheap stuff &makes your car stand out

SOLD! gone forever

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3352447

Sunday, May 09, 2010 5:45 PM

Keep it clean...no stick on rice crap. Simple rule, if it goes on with double sided tape, you dont want it. Performance wise, a decent intake and nothing else. Get a decent set of wheels, but stay OEM...the 95-99 Z wheels are the best looking IMO. Neon SRT-4 17 inchers fit like stock and look great too. Shaving the badges and moldings really cleans the Js up as well.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Monday, May 10, 2010 2:13 PM
to start you should really fill out your registry.

youre a young guy so do the crap you want and think is cool.

personally im not a big fan of the 95-99's but if i did have one i would put on projector headlights, tail covers, lowering springs and the z24 bumpers/wheels. get an intake, a nice looking cat-back and youre all set.

the closer to stock appearance you keep it the nicer it will look.

Eat my shift
Monday, May 10, 2010 9:55 PM
ebay intake is a good mod, will help out the gas mileage a little bit and its dirt cheap and easy to do on those

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:04 AM
hard to make suggestions without even seeing the car. id say before you start adding all this little crap. go over the car and repair or fix anything thast broke. if the seats are going, replace them, carpet getting ratty, get new carpet, get the car clean and nice looking before you spend any money "modifying" it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:42 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:keep it stock. save money. in a couple years you'll wish you had.

I agree, yet disagree.

We have three vehicles, a '79 Vette, an '81 Olds, and a '75 half ton that we plan on putting money into - I get that they can be pits - but it's our way of having fun.

So yes, put money into it if you don't plan on letting it go anytime soon.

No don't, if you don't plan on keeping that baby til even after it dies and gets restored.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:42 PM
sndsgood wrote:hard to make suggestions without even seeing the car. id say before you start adding all this little crap. go over the car and repair or fix anything thast broke. if the seats are going, replace them, carpet getting ratty, get new carpet, get the car clean and nice looking before you spend any money "modifying" it.

Definitely start there, it will give you a good idea of what your car is actually worth. If you are looking to modify the interior for cheap, ebay is your friend.

Not ideal quality stuff, but if your on a budget its a good start.

I would keep the interior mods cheap like whats in the link (obviously find a color/style you like, and get the right pedals/shifter for auto/manual), and then have fun with the audio. At least when the car breaks down on you, you can transfer all the audio stuff to your next vehicle. Tint is also good, and if you are going to invest in audio, you may want to consider an alarm system.

Help support the JBO! CLICK HERE!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search