Selling your project car of 7 years... - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Selling your project car of 7 years...
Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:54 PM
What does it feel like? I'm so nervous to sell my car. I was just wanting to know how you guys, that have been doing this stuff for as long as me, felt when you got rid of your first project car. Or your first Jbody. Or the car you learned everything on. The one you dumped all those hours, installing all those parts you dumped hella money into. I am about to sell my car. The guy came out tonight to look and is bringing me $5000 on Saturday. Help me prepare...i feel like ....or .....

Re: Selling your project car of 7 years...
Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:10 PM
Well hopefully it goes to a good home, my old '92RS went to the crusher. That was a @!#$ty feeling. Everyone was telling me 'Its just a car' and I know it sounds corny but it was my first car and I loved the car

Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:09 PM
What happened to the guy who was buying it for 3500?

Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:11 PM
i got a guy coming to pick up my Z tomorrow. thank god. last cavalier i'll ever own.

i can see where you're coming from though. i always loved your car and it was always one of my favorites. mine, on the other hand, was a complete money pit.

Check out my build thread!

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:10 AM
if your really feeling that bad for selling it maybe your not ready to sell. for me mines not gone yet but you get to the point where your just done with it. and when that time comes your ready to move on to something else.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, June 11, 2010 6:20 AM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:What happened to the guy who was buying it for 3500?

I never received an offer for $3,500

sndsgood wrote:if your really feeling that bad for selling it maybe your not ready to sell. for me mines not gone yet but you get to the point where your just done with it. and when that time comes your ready to move on to something else.

I have definitely moved on. I do not want the vehicle anymore. I have a new car (2004 Solara SE Sport) that will be my primary car now. I think these feelings are just coming from the fact that I have worked so hard, so many hours, learned so much on it and have met so many cool people during the process. I guess I am just nervous that I will forget about all that once it's gone. I guess it just carries a lot of nostalgia.

I know this isn't photo's and media. But here is my new whip mentioned above.

Friday, June 11, 2010 6:25 AM
I just sold mine on tuesday, and I have to say it's the best feeling in the world.

If you have it up for sale, you obviously have an interest in selling it.

Friday, June 11, 2010 6:28 AM
RuggedZ wrote:i got a guy coming to pick up my Z tomorrow. thank god. last cavalier i'll ever own.

i can see where you're coming from though. i always loved your car and it was always one of my favorites. mine, on the other hand, was a complete money pit.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I always loved my car. Even when I blew my motor, and transmission 3 times...I knew it was the owner. Payback for me dumpin the clutch at 3500, and revving to 7k all those times.

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:54 AM
Just remind yourself its a J-Body. Should easily help you part with it. lol.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Friday, June 11, 2010 12:57 PM
Went very well for me, it's been a couple months already and I don't miss it one bit. It was fun and cool for a minute, but when you're done with it, you're done with it! I knew it was time to sell, I put 500 miles or less on it in the last 3 years I had it, we both needed a change of scenery. I hadn't taken it to a car show in 5 years, but the guy I sold it to just took it to one and won 1st place with it, it was a win-win all the way around. Only you know if it's time and it's not a complete loss, you'll never lose the experiences you had building/driving it. If you had fun with it then it was worth the time/money in my book. Congrats on the sale!

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:16 PM
It's official, I have 50 Franklin's in my hand and another $1000 on their way in the next month. (I have collateral: His Shotgun, iPod, 2nd set of keys, and the winter steelies with brand new tires)

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:30 PM
Feels better than looking at the car doesn't it?

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:39 PM
cool now find some one to buy mines! congrats

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:45 PM
i thought we discussed this in chat one night. Idk maybe Im losing my mind.

Friday, June 11, 2010 11:34 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:i thought we discussed this in chat one night. Idk maybe Im losing my mind.

Ohhhh gotcha, I got an offer a while back (maybe 1 to 1 and 1/2 months ago) from a guy that lived in my APT complex. He kept promising the money and never showed it, so I listed it on craigslist and sold it in under 40 hours

Friday, June 11, 2010 11:35 PM
Mike wrote:Feels better than looking at the car doesn't it?

Feels amazing! I've never held this much cash before!

Saturday, June 12, 2010 12:26 PM
definately a step up

Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:23 PM
In some ways I regret selling my '02 Sunfire GT, but in other ways I don't.

I regret it because I had had it since it was brand new. It had no rust whatsoever and it was absolutely immaculate. Unfortunately the people who bought it (a member on here and his girlfriend) pretty much beat the hell out of it and turned around and sold it about a year later. I saw it once after they had had it for a while and it killed me to see it with steelies on it and the exhaust was rattling like crazy and it sounded and looked so bad. I literally almost cried because it had been my baby for almost six years and they all but wrecked it. I also regret it because I was so close to being done with everything I wanted to do to it, but in retrospect, if I had kept it I wouldn't have been done with it because my taste has changed slightly from what it was before I sold it and I would have had to change things about it to suit my new taste.

I don't regret it because I put way too much money into it and I got nothing in return (other than the enjoyment it brought me). And more importantly, I wouldn't have my Vibe which I absolutely love.

It's been two years since I sold the GT. I still think about it all the time whenever I see a Sunfire around town. It makes me miss it. I learned so much about cars and I made so many friends thanks to that car. I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world, but I am completely satisfied with what I have now and am glad I have moved on to a more "grown up" car so to speak.

I will always have a soft spot for Js though. Hell, I'll still drive our '94 Sunbird every so often. It's still going strong after sixteen years and 253,xxx miles. Someday I would like to be able to find a nice low mileage Sunfire Convertible to drive around on nice days and perhaps do a few minor things to, but that would only get me into trouble like the GT did (spending too much money on unnecessary parts, etc.) so we'll see .

Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:22 PM
J TO ENVY - It seems like you were in the same exact boat, 2 years ago, that I am now. I love my new car. I have had it since June 09. It's soo nice to have a such a new vehicle that rides so smooth and so quiet. I'm in a much more professional spot in my life now and I need that reliability and also the image. I can't be taken seriously when I roll up to work in a modded out Cavalier. After hearing everything you guys had to say it makes me feel much better about my decision. Thanks to everyone for their knowledge over the years, and help during the most frustrating parts of my J ownership. I've have a lot of fun, learned a ton, met a lot of really cool people and that was what it was all for!

Sunday, June 13, 2010 4:28 PM
SEC-Z wrote:J TO ENVY - It seems like you were in the same exact boat, 2 years ago, that I am now. I love my new car. I have had it since June 09. It's soo nice to have a such a new vehicle that rides so smooth and so quiet. I'm in a much more professional spot in my life now and I need that reliability and also the image. I can't be taken seriously when I roll up to work in a modded out Cavalier. After hearing everything you guys had to say it makes me feel much better about my decision. Thanks to everyone for their knowledge over the years, and help during the most frustrating parts of my J ownership. I've have a lot of fun, learned a ton, met a lot of really cool people and that was what it was all for!

I couldn't agree more! You will miss your Cavalier, but you know it's time to move on. That's exactly what I felt like when I traded my '02 Sunfire Sedan in last April for my Vibe. It was going to be weird not driving a J anymore, but I knew having a more "grown up" car would be great and that's exactly what it has been ever since. And believe you me... just because you don't have a J anymore doesn't mean you won't be around here. I still check in here everyday and help out whenever I can. It becomes a part of you for sure. Best of luck with moving on !

Monday, June 21, 2010 7:47 AM
everyone will differ, i had my first J for a few years and put a turbo on it, did suspension, and a few cosmetic things and sold it. the only thing that upset me when i did, is the tool that bought my car rapped it around a guard rail at over 100mph, and he had only had the car for a couple days. So i was really sad to see my car get totaled cause of a stupid ass hat that doesnt know how to drive, but all in all i got my money for her and he did what he did.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:04 PM
I never sell my cars.
Most of the time, it's wrecked, flooded, or totaled because you let your best friend at the time borrow it, fell asleep, and you know the rest.

Putting all that time and effort into a car makes me keep the car. Why put all that into it if you're going to sell it. That's something that I've never understood and you couldn't give me enough money to sell my Cavy.
Call me weird and all but I guess that's just me.

And good luck with your next car for sure. Continue your passion for cars and always upgrade when you do your normal preventative maintenance.
Nice Solara btw and a perfect car for the VIP setup.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, June 28, 2010 11:36 AM
VIP, what is that...like poked wheels with extreme negative camber? no thanks, that is GAY AS HELL. dumbest trend I have ever seen.

Why put all that into it if you're going to sell it

Why? Because the point of modding isn't at all about making an investment. It's about everything else. My question to you is...why keep it if it's just going to sit, collecting dust, where no one else can appreciate it? Sometimes there's a better place for the car, and a better place for the money

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:14 AM
I'm in 100% aggreeance with Carrie(JtoEnvy) on this one. My car was my pride and joy for years, and I enjoyed every second of owning it. I learned alot from it, met alot of people, and went alot of places that I'll never forget. I knew it was time to sell it the day I walked outside and had no interest in driving it. It was a sad day when she left for sure, but I needed a "grown up" vehicle as staed earlier. Something the misses and I could throw luggage in and strap our mountain bikes to and go wherever. The guy that bought my car got it for his 16 year old daughter and she completely trashed it. The picture is my sig is the last photo I have of it looking as good as it did. Both quarter panels have huge dents in them, the drivers fender was replaced with a red one and never painted white, tint was halfway peeled off...its horrible. Worst part about it, is that I sold it locally and I have to see it all the time.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:31 AM
Holy crap man you sold your car for that much, I'm about to put mine up for sale which looks just likes yours now for less than half of that. I guess I need to put it on CL first at a higher price for the hell of it.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search