cleaning engine before install - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cleaning engine before install
Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:35 PM
hey guys, first a little background. I bought a donor car about a year ago (2002 ls sport ecotec w 75k miles) to do a heart transplant into my dad's 00 cavy. I finally got up my ass and started working on cleaning the engine and getting it ready for the big day. i have everything for the swap (harness, radiator, hoses, mounts) except for the trans. 3 days ago the car was rearended and we are waiting on insurance for the veredict if totaled. Anyways, i figured I could clean the engine just in case the cavy wants to hang out with us for a bit longer. It has lots of dirt from sitting in the back yard and some oil marks. i was wondering what do you guys use to clean the engine? engine degreaser? should i paint the black/head? any ideas would be taken into consideration.
Here are a couple of iphone pics!

03 cav
5 speed sedan

Re: cleaning engine before install
Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:56 PM
This post belongs in photos and media...

before i powder coated, i use purple power and a pressure washer to clean mine... now i just hit it with the pressure washer and all the dirt slides off the powder coat

Friday, June 18, 2010 10:39 AM
I was thinking about going that route (purple power). thanks for the advice and if someone can move this thread to the right place I'd appreciate it.

03 cav
5 speed sedan
Friday, June 18, 2010 11:15 AM
i just did this on my 258 in my cj. here's what i did:
1. powerwashed it for a few hours.
2. degreased the @!#$ out of it, wiped off with a cloth.
3. gave it a good once over with a wire brush.
4. degreased it a little bit more.
5. hit the block with a flap-wheel grinder.
6. degreased a little bit more.
7. rinsed it off with water and a cloth.

i would expect you shouldn't have to go to near the extent that i had to, as my engine is 35 years old and had 35 y/o grease, dirt, and asphalt stuck to it.

Check out my build thread!

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:47 PM
wow1 i bet you can eat off the valve cover from your car. maybe i would try that wire brush to remove the lime and rust and then the degreaser. thanks for sharing!

03 cav
5 speed sedan
Saturday, June 19, 2010 11:24 AM
DO NOT use a wire brush on your aluminum valve cover. start with like a 600 grit sandpaper. then work your way up to a shine wetsanding of course.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 1:24 PM
Juan Chavez wrote:wow1 i bet you can eat off the valve cover from your car. maybe i would try that wire brush to remove the lime and rust and then the degreaser. thanks for sharing!

of course you can, it's brand new and chrome!

and to be clear, i did this on my CJ7. the block and head are cast iron, so i was fine to hit it with a wire brush.

Check out my build thread!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search