Old School Check-in - Page 31 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Old School Check-in
Friday, December 23, 2022 1:25 AM
Jeffie @ Driving Force Fabs wrote:Oh is that all?

It’s crazy to think how much life has changed since the heyday of JBO. This was such an awesome community to grow up in.

Professional my days as a VW tech are way behind me. I was at my dealerships in Chicago for 8.5 years, moved to Colorado and did another almost 2. Worked my way up to master tech, diagnostic tech, and shop foreman. From there I did a year and half at Audi before getting recruited into the development side. The next six years I did quality testing and development, and validation testing of preproduction and prototype vehicles and technology for Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, plus a single Bentley project (high end VW auto group). Started as a prototype vehicle electrician and worked my way up to directing winter validation testing for the North American Region. From there I moved into aerospace, first building spacecraft components as a foot in the door, then doing development of components and running a lab. Now I’m in charge of setting up and overseeing the US-based aerospace manufacturing for a multinational company expanding into the US.

I have

Friday, December 23, 2022 1:43 AM
Didn’t mean to hit post yet…

I have 2 kids and an awesome girlfriend. We’re currently looking to buy a house/condo together.

I’ve moved away from caring much about vehicles being “fast” or shiny. I have a built 4Runner that we spend a lot of time living out of in the mountains and 06 Pontiac’s Vibe GT as daily beater.

Friday, December 23, 2022 11:35 AM
Darkstars wrote:
I have 2 kids and an awesome girlfriend. We’re currently looking to buy a house/condo together.

I’ve moved away from caring much about vehicles being “fast” or shiny. I have a built 4Runner that we spend a lot of time living out of in the mountains and 06 Pontiac’s Vibe GT as daily beater.

That was really great to read! Sounds like live has been a grand adventure for you and is all going well. I'm really happy to hear that!

I've also been lured out into the world of outdoor fun and built up a Wrangler that we now use to tow an RV and go camping as often as we can make time for.

Friday, December 23, 2022 12:28 PM
I'm still here, and one of the few still involved with the J scene. Was in the oilfield for 8 years until Covid ruined that. Due to my mechanical experience I got in at a local chemical processing and production plant, and am now a lead of operations for a few government projects that I am legally not allowed to discuss the specifics of. Bought a log cabin in the country that is somewhat secluded where people wont bother me, and built a new garage with a car lift, tire machines, and eventually plans on some sort of alignment machine setup.

I still have my Sunflower, and ran a PB of 10.9 last season, and even went somewhat "viral" for beating a GTR at Import Face-off last year. Finally retiring the old log manifold based setup that I've had since I first boosted it, with plans of 750+ horsepower and 10 flat in the 1/4 mile. Im glad to see some of the OG guys still check in here from time to time. JBO for lyfe!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, December 29, 2022 7:27 AM
Darkstars wrote:Didn’t mean to hit post yet…

Glad life is treating you well!

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, December 29, 2022 7:34 AM
Roofy wrote:I'm still here, and one of the few still involved with the J scene. Was in the oilfield for 8 years until Covid ruined that. Due to my mechanical experience I got in at a local chemical processing and production plant, and am now a lead of operations for a few government projects that I am legally not allowed to discuss the specifics of. Bought a log cabin in the country that is somewhat secluded where people wont bother me, and built a new garage with a car lift, tire machines, and eventually plans on some sort of alignment machine setup.

I still have my Sunflower, and ran a PB of 10.9 last season, and even went somewhat "viral" for beating a GTR at Import Face-off last year. Finally retiring the old log manifold based setup that I've had since I first boosted it, with plans of 750+ horsepower and 10 flat in the 1/4 mile. Im glad to see some of the OG guys still check in here from time to time. JBO for lyfe!

Very Nice </borat>

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Wednesday, February 08, 2023 5:59 PM
I’ve popped in and out of this thread, but here’s an actual life update:

No, I no longer own any of the interesting vehicles I used to have. Sold the Z24 convertible about 7 years ago after having it mothballed forever. The W41 Achieva and the AWD 6000 were totaled ages ago.

Only own one vehicle today, but of course, it’s somewhat quirky…2019 Honda Ridgeline.

Aside from that, divorced, 2 kids, living just outside Cincinnati and have been a lead programmer for a large energy company for the last 7ish years.

Was just telling a friend the story of the scar on the inside of my left ring finger: slicing it open on the inside of CookieMonster’s timing chain housing while changing his head gasket in the parking lot of the (I think) 2004 Bash.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Friday, February 10, 2023 5:21 AM
Hope you're holding up ok, Zliner! A car guy in Ohio that's a lead programmer? You should have something fun to drive again in no time.

Oh... the memories...

Monday, February 13, 2023 2:07 PM
I’ve been popping in and out from time to time. Currently in a Balt but I have my 64 nova LE5/MA5 project. Regret parting the sunfire before learning its true potential

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Sunday, March 05, 2023 3:36 PM
I pop from time to time. But lately less.
Still have the 07 cobalt, build in progress for 400+ by zzp.
And 17 cx5. Not much on life. Just work and save lol

Thursday, March 30, 2023 6:53 AM
Keeping this going, finally got a second mod onto Ishara - took out the intake resonators, and added some ram-air scoops. If nothing else it should be less restrictive (kinda like removing the bong on the J's).

So yeah, still got a modding bug and still trying to go for the sleeper look .
Attachments
VelossaTech Snorkels - Install_2023_03_12_147 (LOWRES).JPG (616k)
VelossaTech Snorkels - Finished_2023_03_12_153 (LOWRES).JPG (646k)

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Saturday, April 01, 2023 7:07 PM
WOW! Talk about some throwback names. Darkstars, Wild Weasel, KOTL and Cookie Monster being mentioned in a thread! I still have pictures of Cookie Monster's rear diffuser and W41 swap, with the gas tank relocated underneath the rear taillight.
I remember joining when the burnt down Cavalier was the April Fool's car of the month, talking about taking weight reduction to a whole new level. I still laugh about that description. Was that 2000?? Interestingly enough, today is April Fool's, go figure. Definitely still into cars, sold the 4-door Cav back in 2004. I do still have the Type R though! It's not the daily driver of course. It was good to see some of the OG's post recently. Great memories from this site.

Tuesday, April 11, 2023 6:24 AM
still living the same life i was living back in the day... some small things have \changed but not much... now have over 20 of these cars and still doubt myself every day with them...
Wednesday, April 19, 2023 11:45 PM
Quick check in i guess? Lol. Lookin to add this 2nd gen droptop in somewhat mint condition to the fleet. I really want a 3rd gen again, but this looks to go good to pass up. Also my ucf20 ive had since 2019ish. Also haven an 06GS300 awd and an equinox with the 4cyl eco. Oil burning rig. Smh
Attachments
Screenshot_20230418_210948_Facebook.jpg (300k)
Screenshot_20221008-100809_Instagram.jpg (208k)

Wednesday, April 26, 2023 9:33 AM
It's cool seeing all the old names and what they are driving now. It's hard to believe the first JBO Bash I went to was like 20 years ago!

I still enjoy taking vehicle pics. Some of you guys might appreciate this.
Our 9 day 1,200 mile Tour of Colorado - 1 State, 3 National Parks, 9 National Forests, 12 Wilderness Areas, and 16 Mountain Passes while camping out of the 4Runner. There's hundreds of photos of mind-blowing scenery.

Tour of Colorado 2022 – Part 1 – A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Tour of Colorado 2022 – Part 2 – A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Here's a couple of preview pics:

Friday, April 28, 2023 6:56 PM
I still have the coupe and the vert. Every year I say that I am tearing the coupe apart, but never do. Kinda funny that even with making ~300whp on a stock L61 it is one of my most reliable cars. I mainly have moved on to DF Goblin stuff and Ralliart stuff(baby Evo X). But might circle back once with the vert once I "finish" the Goblin and Ralliart. Between what is on the coupe and in my stash, I have ~90% of the parts to build the vert.

I had a random, once in a blue moon, convo with Vincent Morris the other week. He has the J-body bug again and has interest in reacquiring his old coupe.

Also us KGM folk still try to get together at least once a year.

Saturday, May 13, 2023 7:29 AM
Been a very long time since I've had a cavalier. Sold that over 20 years ago. Used to post on here and read alot. Alot of your screen names bring me back. Never made it out to any events due to things but wish I did.
Here is a picture of my old car.
Used to see it around town after selling it but someone had changed the front after hitting it I guess. They put a factory z bumper on it.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1666008667502.jpg (36k)

Saturday, May 13, 2023 6:12 PM
Looks like I've sold the Miata. Gonna miss that little toy!!

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 1:25 PM
Man, oh man the memories this forum brings back. Life sure has changed since the days of Cavalier life! I was talking about my old car with my boys yesterday, Googled my username and found this site to still be active.

Not sure if anyone would even remember much about me, but here's my update:

Sold the car in 2008 (I still miss it.). I still have dreams that I'm driving that car. It was the first new car I ever bought and I had a ton of fun with it.

Since my J-Body enthusiast days, a lot has changed. I have a kid in high school, one in middle school and I've already been married for almost 18 years.

I hope everyone here is doing well. You were all such a source of learning, inspiration and help. Seems hard to find such a community nowadays.

Wednesday, May 17, 2023 7:23 AM
Congrats, Mike!! Sounds like life has worked out well for you.

Next year I'll be married 20 years... but no kids.

Wednesday, June 07, 2023 8:23 PM
Wow, good to see the names still going here….

Been a while for me, figured time for a quick update. Still have the 04 Cav, which will be 20 years in march. Besides fixing the dead cluster, and a few minor updates-she should be ready to go.

Had a life changing event as my wife of 20 years passed from cancer- so I have been busy raising our son. And, he will be driving soon……..

Still have my eye out for a good project Cav in the future-who knows what I will find!

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG

Thursday, June 08, 2023 4:53 AM
Dave Z wrote:
Had a life changing event as my wife of 20 years passed from cancer- so I have been busy raising our son. And, he will be driving soon……..

I'm so sorry to hear that, Dave. I hope you and your son are doing ok and hope you find the perfect project to work on together as he starts to get behind the wheel.

Thursday, June 08, 2023 7:55 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
Dave Z wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear that, Dave. I hope you and your son are doing ok and hope you find the perfect project to work on together as he starts to get behind the wheel.

Thanks- It was very hard as we were high school sweethearts. It has almost been two years now. I will say she taught her boys well.

As an odd twist- I’m dating the maid of honor from my wedding…. :-O

My son is currently helping me with the Cavalier- get him started.

Old C10, Buick T type and a 1st gen currently on the list….. :-)

http://www.autorentalandsales.com/images/2004Cavalier005.JPG
Friday, June 09, 2023 12:44 PM
Gti turbo
I am looking to buy an Audi Q7 can I put a turbo on them for about 400 hp. They already have 336hp and do 0-60 at 5 7. But what 5 flat
Wednesday, August 02, 2023 6:49 AM
Carl Calvin wrote:Gti turbo
I am looking to buy an Audi Q7 can I put a turbo on them for about 400 hp. They already have 336hp and do 0-60 at 5 7. But what 5 flat

Did you reply to the wrong thread??

And back on topic... just checking in to say I did a thing. Sold the Miata... got this. I'm back in red!!

Attachments
IMG_2749.jpg (361k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search