2.2 ecotec first startup after build - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 ecotec first startup after build
Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:36 AM
Hey guys, So like the title says I've just finished the engine build and tranny swap on my 04 cavy sedan. Here is what I'm running with:

honed block
Wiseco 8.9: 1 forged pistons
Eagle H-beam rods
Clevite Bearings (Main and rod)
Ported and polished head
Supertech 98lb valve springs
Supertech ti retainers and seat locators
Resurfaced stock valves
New timing setup (front and back)
New water pump
New stock head gasket and head bolts

I've done a full tranny swap to the F23 Getrag. I also completely swapped over wiring harnesses and the PCM from the manual cavy. It is all put back together and I am now running in to a fuel problem. It seems that either the pump is just putting enough pressure or fuel through to start the car for a few seconds. After it turns over and runs it immediately dies. The pump is working as you can hear it kick on, as well as the sending line pressures fuel up to the bleed cap in the engine bay. I haven't checked the fuel filter for clogs but I will do that today. I will say that I have a check engine light on but I believe that it is just the O2 sensor as it was on before I tore the car down.

Any one have any advance or ran into the same issues when building their ecotec?

You drive a cavalier? Why yes... yes I do.

Re: 2.2 ecotec first startup after build
Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:50 AM
You sure its not the passlock? Also I had a pump that kept giving me intermittent stalling and starting issues. It would only happen once a week till i actually died. a few months later. It was very hard tofigure out because if it died. 5 mins later you could start it and it would run for a week or two. I would hook a fuel pressure tester up if you thing its a fuel issue.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:24 PM
Sounds like pass lock. I had to do the re learn right after my engine build. I believe you start it, let it die then leave the key on for 10 min. Def want to double check that though. It's been a while since I did it.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Sunday, November 10, 2013 1:44 PM
Anyone have any advice on how to fix the pass lock issues?

Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:37 PM
Did you try what I said?....

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, November 11, 2013 9:18 AM
Monday, November 11, 2013 1:35 PM
Yep, it was the passlock. I did the relearn and it busted right off. While it is on my mine can anyone tell me the order for the shift cables?

Saturday, December 10, 2016 2:36 PM
Did you go back with a factory water pump? I just pulled the motor on mine to do the chains due to an engine noise. I want to do the water pump while its out, but $200+ from the dealer seems a little steep.
I want a good one but I don't want to break the bank.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search