The ''Help! Low Blower speeds don't work!'' post - Page 5 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The ''Help! Low Blower speeds don't work!'' post
Monday, April 07, 2008 5:29 PM
DID MINE TODAY. IT WAS THE RESISTOR! IT WAS TRASHED. DONT KNOW HOW IT WORKED THIS LONG! BOY WAS IT A JOB!!! BUT WORTH IT!! THANKS ALL FOR THE ADVISE AND POSTINGS!! COULD HAVE NEVER DONE IT WITH OUT!!!!!

CHRISTY NEUHAUSEL

Sunday, April 13, 2008 11:14 AM
Just ordered another one from GMPartsDirect. This is the 4th I will have put in on various cavaliers. Atleast the resistor hasn't gone on my 03. I think since they put a fan 'off' position on the HVAC controls it cuts down on the number that go.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 5:15 PM
My friend has an Alero and his first blower speed doesn't work. Does that car use the same motor and resistor as our Cav?
Monday, September 08, 2008 12:24 PM
Did mine awhile ago, and here are a couple of tips that made it easier for me;
-I used a carburetor tool with a flexible shaft to easier access the dreaded "last screw"
-I also pulled back the carpet and cut away a section of the sound barrier on the firewall that allowed me to get a better angle on the screw.

All told I had everything swapped out and put back together in less than 30 min

Saturday, September 13, 2008 11:48 AM
a big thank you from me as well!!! i put in a new one this afternoon and my lower speeds work perfectly!!

..you guys werent kidding about that "last screw" SOB!!

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 5:28 PM
so ive been trying to replace my blower motor for a while now as well and i cant find these dam bolts everyone is talking about to take the @!#$ out there is a black plastic thign that houses the blower motor and then there is 2 bolts on a white plastic plug and one way up in the top not even near the motor so what am i supposed to do lol. im getting pissed and ive read all the threads on it. also my blower motor does not have the brass bolts on the bottom jsut 3 plastic rivets. do i jsut break them out of there and glue the cover back in place once im done?

any help would be greatly apreciated
Monday, October 27, 2008 5:18 PM
Thank you to everyone who posted in this thread. I had recently been limited to the two highest settings and on a recent trip to NC it went to only the highest setting. After going for a few weeks like that, I decided to pop in and low and behold this thread is a sticky!! Anyway after $22 at Advance Auto and about two hours, all of my blower settings work, my tools are all accounted for and organized, and I cleaned out my trunk. All in all a good night.

Thanks again.
Monday, October 27, 2008 5:45 PM
is the failure being caused by the corrosion of the contacts or is it burning the resistors out?

i'm wondering if a heatsink would help, or not

14.82 @ 97 mph
Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:34 AM
If speed 2 still works, but 1 does not - is it still due to the blower resistor?
Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:42 AM
Jeffrey M White wrote:If speed 2 still works, but 1 does not - is it still due to the blower resistor?

Most likely. I have 1 not work and 2-3-4 work fine.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:20 PM
Hello,

I just had this done at an auto repair shop with me supplying the part. The labor charge was about $75.00 with the time rating being 0.8 hour. If this happens again, I will try doing it myself.

Frank Neal

Monday, December 22, 2008 4:09 PM
just done it myself today ... only trouble was the 2nd screw other then that everything is fine .. and when i wired it all up works but seems like i need to pull the cable to get it to blow more ... all speeds work 1-4 and its nice now but other then that its the cable i think .. so i got a bunjee cord holding the cable inside the dash thingy and its blowing , guess i may need a whole new blower motor i dunno .. :S
Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:29 PM
Daniel Phaneuf wrote:so ive been trying to replace my blower motor for a while now as well and i cant find these dam bolts everyone is talking about to take the @!#$ out there is a black plastic thign that houses the blower motor and then there is 2 bolts on a white plastic plug and one way up in the top not even near the motor so what am i supposed to do lol. im getting pissed and ive read all the threads on it. also my blower motor does not have the brass bolts on the bottom jsut 3 plastic rivets. do i jsut break them out of there and glue the cover back in place once im done?

any help would be greatly apreciated

yeah, I have the same issue. I have a 2004 Cavalier and I have no idea on how remove the "blower motor housing" either??

Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:42 PM
The blower motor housing is in the passenger foot well. There are three brass looking bolts, I think 7mm, holding the 6 inch or so in diameter, housing up. The resistor, is right against the firewall. It is tough to get to and tough to see, but it is there.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!!.....Yeah, I can see the resistor..But I am not seeing the 'brass looking" bolts for the blower motor it self. I see the plastic housing, but it appears to be attached with rivets of some sort. The question is: How do I get the plastic housing for the blower motor off.?

Saturday, December 27, 2008 5:05 PM
Bleco-Coleco wrote:Thanks for the quick reply!!.....Yeah, I can see the resistor..But I am not seeing the 'brass looking" bolts for the blower motor it self. I see the plastic housing, but it appears to be attached with rivets of some sort. The question is: How do I get the plastic housing for the blower motor off.?

Could be different for the 04s, I have only done 03s and older. It is possible to get the resistor out without moving the blower housing, I have done it.

But to answer your question, I do not know how to get the "rivets" that hold the housing up off.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing with pre-04; Could it be that different, but it appears to be (In terms of the "rivet" issue). As you mentioned, I will try to just by- pass the removal of the blower motor and take out the resistor only. I wonder if the Haynes or Chilton manual specific for the '04 will have anything?...My Chilton manual is for the 95-00 J's and they display the most common procedure, which has seem to work for most for this topic.

Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:31 AM
Bleco-Coleco wrote:I was thinking the same thing with pre-04; Could it be that different, but it appears to be (In terms of the "rivet" issue). As you mentioned, I will try to just by- pass the removal of the blower motor and take out the resistor only. I wonder if the Haynes or Chilton manual specific for the '04 will have anything?...My Chilton manual is for the 95-00 J's and they display the most common procedure, which has seem to work for most for this topic.

let me know how you make out, and if you ever do see a chilton/haynes, how they deal with the rivets.

Sunday, January 04, 2009 11:16 AM
Well, I didn't get a Haynes/Chilton Manual, so I was never able to figure out how to get the blower motor off. But I was able to get the resistor out. And yes the back screw, near the firewall, was a PITA.!..My problem is still not solved, though. I assumed by replacing the resistor it would solve my issue..For some reason, I am not getting air through the two vents above the stereo, nor my drivers side vent. All other vents work fine at each speed. Perhaps, a tube or something became disconnected that directs the air through those specific vents?..Weird.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 2:08 PM
I just like to say this sticky post helped me out big time thanks for the help. Second What a real pain removing this motor blower resistor. Gm couldn't have design it in a crappy location. Otherwise I got the job done, Took little long then I though, I had to cut the rubber mat under neath the carpet. Yes that last screw in the back of the resistor was the big pain, I got it out, Also I didnt bother adding it back, There was no need to. Baiscally too me an hour to complete this job.

Thanks again for the write up it helped.
Thursday, January 08, 2009 9:27 PM
just a little update sorta...

with the weather getting colder and the need to use heat I found it annoying to have to keep the air on the higher blower settings so I replaced the resistor as informed in this thread.. it worked..

heres the update I guess..

seams maybe gm got wise to the problem and did something about it..
instead of paying 30 dollers or more at a parts place when i was at the junk yard I pulled two from other cavs..one from a 98 and one from a 05.. the one from the 98 as I exspected didnt have the two lowest settings so i moved onto the 05 and it worked like a charm,.

gm seams to have changed the look of the resistor and added insulation to it...

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:02 AM
Update: As far as removing the rivets, in order, to remove the blower motor on an '04 Cavalier. I guess you have to drill them out, and then replace them with bolts.

Clicky

Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:25 PM
I completed this fix Mon with the help of a 5.5 mm 1/4" socket, a 1/4" U joint and my cordless drill. The U joint made reaching the bolts a heck of a lot easier and the cordless drill zipped those bolts in and out fast enough to prevent my arms from draining of blood. I tried to do it with my 1/4" ratchet but got way to frustrated. The drill made it SOOOO easy I was done in 20 mins.
Sunday, February 01, 2009 6:41 PM
Got Chevy? wrote:just a little update sorta...

with the weather getting colder and the need to use heat I found it annoying to have to keep the air on the higher blower settings so I replaced the resistor as informed in this thread.. it worked..

heres the update I guess..

seams maybe gm got wise to the problem and did something about it..
instead of paying 30 dollers or more at a parts place when i was at the junk yard I pulled two from other cavs..one from a 98 and one from a 05.. the one from the 98 as I exspected didnt have the two lowest settings so i moved onto the 05 and it worked like a charm,.

gm seams to have changed the look of the resistor and added insulation to it...

Hi. I have a few questions.
So the 05 resistor is designed to accomodate all 4 settings while the 98 was missing two lower settings?...would explain why lower blower settings dont work after a bit but how do they work to begin with then?...also was the 05 a direct fit in your 98? So any year up to the most recent cav. year will fit in a 98 z24?

And in general to anyone who knows.
My speeds worked only on the 2 highest settings for a few years now(thought it was blower and would milk it till it died) and last night I heard a gradual 'whirling' down on those last two speeds to the point of nothing working now. When I drove later the fan worked again for about 15 seconds and then died...
1. so is this resistor or blower motor?
2. blower motor and resistor come seperate?
3. if blower how much for a blower motor new?
4. should I replace blower motor anyway if its just resistor as car is 98 z24? (do the motors last if they havent had any problems?)

-speed is time travel-
Monday, February 02, 2009 9:31 AM
??? anyone???
I need to know if its my blower as well or are they generally OK to leave

-speed is time travel-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search