Patriot heads - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Patriot heads
Monday, April 02, 2007 5:35 PM
I was wondering if any one has pushed the patriot stage two head and valve train combo to the limits yet. I want to go 7200-7500 rpms but i want to be sure that the set up will hold it. the 200 bucks worth of valve train parts kind of scares me.

Re: Patriot heads
Monday, April 02, 2007 6:02 PM
It will....

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, April 02, 2007 6:12 PM
the flying skwirl has been pushing it to what you want to do.

Monday, April 02, 2007 6:45 PM
It'll hold what you throw at it.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, April 02, 2007 6:56 PM
alright cool thanks!

it might be a stupid question but im confussed on it. Some places that sell the Cobalt gauges have a full sweep electroic and a Mechanical gauge opition... What ones do i have to get?

Monday, April 02, 2007 7:03 PM
Go with electronic if you can

Monday, April 02, 2007 8:52 PM
rawkfist wrote:I was wondering if any one has pushed the patriot stage two head and valve train combo to the limits yet. I want to go 7200-7500 rpms but i want to be sure that the set up will hold it. the 200 bucks worth of valve train parts kind of scares me.

If you get one, make sure you get it from TVR, he does a great job, and gets them to you quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 02, 2007 8:53 PM

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 12:23 PM
my stock eco head can rev 7500. no problems yet. like i said yet... it pulls all the way to 7500. tell my rsx-s friends, i pull them on the freeway now. no BS.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:35 PM
Quote:

I was wondering if any one has pushed the patriot stage two head and valve train combo to the limits yet. I want to go 7200-7500 rpms but i want to be sure that the set up will hold it. the 200 bucks worth of valve train parts kind of scares me.

I might be a minority here but Hp tuners hasnt been around for THAT long to say that those running hp tuners AND the patriot head are doing so reliably.

I would think that the patriot head and valve train is fine for stock rpms, but I would not trust 200$ of valve train parts for LONG term reliability over 7000rpms.

Have you priced out a name brand valve train? 200$ does not cover it.

Dont get me wrong, its a great deal for the price, and I would say its fine for the stock red line, but no way would I expect it to hold up long term spinning 7500-8000 rpms with a big cam.

"Go Before Show Yo."
CARCUSTOMS.NET, THE BEST SERVICE ON THE ORG!!!
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:40 PM
didnt you ask a similar question here?

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=370725&t=370698#370725

alos I think darkstars post said it all.

"Go Before Show Yo."
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:48 PM
the skwirl is entering its 5th month of patriot stage 2 and 7700rpm redline

one broken driveshaft, and another transmission (blew out first and second gear during a fubar'd burnout)later, and its still running stronger than ever

the only thing I'm afraid of is the stock bottom end deciding to let go

but when I hit the gas I forget all about it.. the car pulls HARD to 7500 and its driven everyday..

the skwirl hasn't been babied since the day I bought it either.. it sees the rev limiter and 90mph at least once a day granted road conditions are ok
dropped to second gear going 50mph a few times too without rev matching. I think the patriot valvetrain does a pretty good job.

its just too much fun

I got mine from Hypsy @ TVR

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:56 PM
When you buy the Patriot Stage 2 Head your not getting a $200 valvetrain. Your getting a valvetrain worth $400 or more for $200 or so.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:57 PM
5 months was longer than I though you had it for, im impressed that its stood up for that long.

Maybe im wrong, but I just spent 850$ on custom pistons and rods for my build, im leaning more towards doing a ferrea valve train.

I guess to each his own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:58 PM

"Go Before Show Yo."
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 9:13 PM
I've had my head for over 9 months now BTW.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 6:07 AM
I just use a patriot head, that was CNC port and poilished, bare, then i added the complete Ferrea valve train to it

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:28 AM
Hypsy Not bashing any one im just a tipical buyer. I want to know what will work and will need to get upgraded. Yes i trust that the valve train will holds stock revs... i know my stock valve train will hold the 7500 revs i want. Its just idk ... soemthing about the intire engine i dont want to mess around with by going cheap. 400 bucks for the valve train equals the same about as the Ferrea valve springs Springs... yet along the titanium retainers, and the valves. Idk Ill wait this out and see if anything changes through out the summer.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:35 AM
rawkfist wrote:Hypsy Not bashing any one im just a tipical buyer. I want to know what will work and will need to get upgraded. Yes i trust that the valve train will holds stock revs... i know my stock valve train will hold the 7500 revs i want. Its just idk ... soemthing about the intire engine i dont want to mess around with by going cheap. 400 bucks for the valve train equals the same about as the Ferrea valve springs Springs... yet along the titanium retainers, and the valves. Idk Ill wait this out and see if anything changes through out the summer.

I never said you were bashing anyone.

Why does everyone assume that every post I make has anger in it.

And since it clarified things before....
Post Attitude: Getting Peeved

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:36 AM

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:43 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:

I dunno, but it always makes for an interesting thread. Where you post, an arguement will probably follow. lol

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:59 PM
the lemur wrote:
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:

I dunno, but it always makes for an interesting thread. Where you post, an arguement will probably follow. lol

I've noticed this too...and it's not always my fault. LOL.

Thursday, April 05, 2007 8:11 AM
Enthusiast wrote:my stock eco head can rev 7500. no problems yet.

A stock eco head can rev that high without a piston humping a valve?

Thursday, April 05, 2007 12:55 PM
^^ lol. Im not sure if my pistons are hitting the valves. With the added lift/duration of my comp cams and the rpm speeds I put the valvetrain at, the stock eco valvetrain seems to do pretty well.

Thursday, April 05, 2007 3:03 PM
TraJadY wrote:
Enthusiast wrote:my stock eco head can rev 7500. no problems yet.

A stock eco head can rev that high without a piston humping a valve?

Easily.

Thursday, April 05, 2007 3:58 PM
even 7500?

Thursday, April 05, 2007 5:05 PM
USJDM.....GOT YA B!TCH! wrote:even 7500?

Unless you got weak valve springs and they start to float out....yes.

Thursday, April 05, 2007 6:05 PM
hmmm strong enough to handle for a DD? I mean the wouldnt be up there every time I drove it but this is very interesting.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search