motor mod help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
motor mod help
Sunday, March 23, 2014 8:50 PM
OK so I am looking for a little help I am new to the j-bodys I am looking to build my 2.2 eco and I am want to do cams and not sure in a turbo or a supercharger I have not made up my mind yet on that. So my questions are whats cams should I do was thinking comp cams stage two with the supertech 78lb springs, I know I will need a tune after that. and when I do tune the new cams can I take of the 108 gov for the speed? so any help with some build ideas would be nice thank you and sorry for the noob questions.

Re: motor mod help
Sunday, March 23, 2014 9:59 PM
Cam selection is going to depend on you end goals, and where in the power band you want the cams to make power. Also, if you plan or boosting, there are cam grinds suited just for blowers and turbos.
The Supertech 78s are a good choice and will handle most off the shelf cam grinds out there.

Also look into custom ground cams. Places like Colt or Delta Cams (and others) will grind any spec you want.

If you're looking to supercharge, I have a kit for sale just FYI. Listed in the classifieds and NE region forum

Monday, March 24, 2014 7:09 AM
If I were in your shoes I would put all money into a supercharger kit. Springs and cams are nice, but you'll be disappointed with the actual gains you'll see with everything else stock.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, March 24, 2014 8:36 AM
Well thanks for some help. How much psi can I run with thr sc kit with a comp one. Would I need new lifters or should I just buy new ones to just put them in?
Monday, March 24, 2014 9:01 AM
The supercharger kit is totally bolt on, no need to replace anything internally. I'm running a solid 15psi on my stock l61 ecotec, though psi is a relative number to the other mods you have done to your setup.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, March 24, 2014 9:38 AM
Y3llowCav wrote: though psi is a relative number to the other mods you have done to your setup.

Pure poetry.
Monday, March 24, 2014 4:15 PM
I also agree. Decide what your power goal is. Big power, or fun power.

Big Power, go Turbo. As you can turbo up boost as you upgrade other things.

Fun power go supercharger. You can make out a M62 on a factory and not have to worry about the motor (as long as your tune is good). Then you can always do charger cams, and other mods.

FU Tuning

Monday, March 24, 2014 4:37 PM
Well anyway I could get a list of every thing or a really good link for the m62. Would I need a intercooler?
Monday, March 24, 2014 4:50 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=183438&t=183438

I STRONGLY suggest the intercooler. I also strongly suggest you get in touch with Matt about his kit.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:16 AM
ok so over the last few days i have been reading some furums about turbos, s/c. and N20 and I am thinking that i want to do a stage 3 cam with a 55 shot of N20 i would have forge internals a tune a port and polised head full exhaust, full intake, bigger injectors no clue of what size yet. I would also like to get a little more power any other help would be nice. and what do you guys think the whp would be after a tune. please get back to me thanks.
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:56 AM
You are going to spend way to much and not get a lot for it. Those are great mods, but on a NA motor. You could spend money on a s/c kit and do some of those mods and come way out ahead.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:55 PM
But with the super charger i would need so much and I have looked into it. i would love to do it but i would need so much more and would have to do so much to the motor just to get it i mean intake s/c a tune i dont know @!#$ about the 1 or 2 bar @!#$ you are all talking about cause i am new to the ecotec motor i am good with older motors with way less sensor and i have read the forum for the s/c it just does not make sense to me the way you all word things.
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:32 PM
Need so much??

Dude. Not hard. It is practically swapping your intake manifold for a S/C. The only electronics you need is a different Map sensor from a cobalt. This is one sensor, as easy to do as a spark plug! The whole Tuning thing is easy, pay somebody OR Send an ecu to http://www.exatorq.com/StockReflashing and he will send you it back. Just plug in and go! It is much harder to install a cam and the other work you want to do!

Look at the M62 Ultimate Guide, then buy somebody's kit like the one here: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=25&i=124131&t=124131

It isn't as scary as you think.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:38 PM
Mark wrote:Need so much??

Dude. Not hard. It is practically swapping your intake manifold for a S/C. The only electronics you need is a different Map sensor from a cobalt. This is one sensor, as easy to do as a spark plug! The whole Tuning thing is easy, pay somebody OR Send an ecu to http://www.exatorq.com/StockReflashing and he will send you it back. Just plug in and go! It is much harder to install a cam and the other work you want to do!

Look at the M62 Ultimate Guide, then buy somebody's kit like the one here: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=25&i=124131&t=124131

It isn't as scary as you think.

This. I promise, they don't run bad.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:54 PM
Superchargers are a seriously simple install. Literally an afternoon affair and done. No need to change anything in the motor, throw it on a stock motor, get a tune, and enjoy

Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:06 AM
ok thanks you, you guys i will due the s/c and the one or two car can i also get that from from a s/c car
Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:18 AM
Car? I'm guessing you mean BAR. Bar Refers to the amount of pressure it can read. As a rule, roughly:

1 bar to 0 vacuum
2 bar to 14 PSI of Boost
3 bar to 30 PSI of boost

It depends, if you go with a standard GM Tune (From the dealer or from the link above) You have to use a T-MAP Sensor ("fake 2.5 Bar"). This is it: http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-213-3907-Service-Turbocharger-Pressure/dp/B000NW4PB0
It bolts into a spot on the manifold. Solder a few wires onto the new connector and you are done. This is the easy/cheap route. It gets you the tune GM thought you should have, safe and rich.

If you want to tune with HP Tuners, you can still use the "MAP" and "IAT" sensors you already have or upgrade them. HP Tuners with an experienced tuner (few/far between) is the best option as you will get more power. However, the tuner costs several hundred plus the dyno/tuning time. This is the better/more expensive route.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:04 AM
ok thank you if i go with the hpt can some one link me their tune cause i have really no access to a dyno in my area and their is not much but rice all over my area so i am out on some one being able to tune it for me so a link of someones tune could help. now with the GM reflash how much would it cost around and about how much whp would it give me just a ball park answer will work cause i am just trying to get a little closer to 200whp cause that would be good enough for me. any more info you guys/gals have would be vary helpfull.
Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:53 PM
Mark
Do you have any experience with that tuner? I've heard mixed reviews about mail in tunes.
Thursday, March 27, 2014 4:41 PM
I picked an ECU up off of Ebay from a shop that would set the vin and send it to you. I installed it to verify it would work, then sent it via USPS to exatorq. Within 4 days, I had it back with the GM S/C Tune Flashed on it. Cost about $150. For me, I picked up an AFPR so I can play with the air fule a little bit, but I will be getting a real tune come summer.

I would highly recommend them. Anybody who still supports our cars deserves the cash, haha!

Zac, what area are you in, somebody on here may have some suggestions.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:04 PM
I'm a 1999 2200 so I can't run the sc flash any idea how much it would be for them to do a custom tune?

Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:21 PM
I wouldn't bother TBH, but I don't know if they do HP Tuners.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:45 PM
Zachary Osborne wrote:ok thank you if i go with the hpt can some one link me their tune cause i have really no access to a dyno in my area and their is not much but rice all over my area so i am out on some one being able to tune it for me so a link of someones tune could help. now with the GM reflash how much would it cost around and about how much whp would it give me just a ball park answer will work cause i am just trying to get a little closer to 200whp cause that would be good enough for me. any more info you guys/gals have would be vary helpfull.

I made ~215-220 whp with the M62, intercooler, 3.1" pulley, and the GM reflash. You dont need a dyno for a custom HPT tune. My car has never been dyno tuned, it has always been street tuned.

Friday, March 28, 2014 7:04 AM
i have a 2004 four door with the 2.2 ecotec
Friday, March 28, 2014 7:06 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
Zachary Osborne wrote:ok thank you if i go with the hpt can some one link me their tune cause i have really no access to a dyno in my area and their is not much but rice all over my area so i am out on some one being able to tune it for me so a link of someones tune could help. now with the GM reflash how much would it cost around and about how much whp would it give me just a ball park answer will work cause i am just trying to get a little closer to 200whp cause that would be good enough for me. any more info you guys/gals have would be vary helpfull.

I made ~215-220 whp with the M62, intercooler, 3.1" pulley, and the GM reflash. You dont need a dyno for a custom HPT tune. My car has never been dyno tuned, it has always been street tuned.

But with the relfash is it just a plug and play is their any tuning with the relash??
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search