98 Cavalier RS Performance Mods - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 Cavalier RS Performance Mods
Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:08 PM
Okay, So i want the best advice from the J-body crew here

I'm trying to make the Cavalier suck much less as it's the replacement for one of our Wrecked rally Cobalts. Originally We had done an Ecotech swap on this cavalier using the old motor from the Cobalt. Unfortunately during a run with the Cobalt, the rev limiter...... it didn't work and we blew the engine right up. After that depressing run, I a year later converted the Cavalier back to stock with the 2.2 LN2 engine(122 aka 2200).

Shortly after I gave it to my sweetheart to drive because she lost her Cobalt to her family who greedily stole it back when they lost their home.

So now, it comes down to.... The engine has NO HP!!!!!!!!!

It needs alot of work to get any decent power from the engine. I just finished multiple repairs including clutch, transmission, tires
And have yet to get around to checking the intake system out.

I want to get modifications done to "try" and push the 122 for power.

First thing, I'd like a new exhaust, a nicer sounding one. I'd prefer louder, as I'm used to hearing a louder 302 V8. I'd like a strong deep sound. I was thinking the magnaflow Cat back system, with a AEM cold air intake probably from turbotech racing. Is that a bad idea? If not that setup, what Exhaust and Intake setup would one recommend? I NEED to do the exhaust first on the account of...... The current system kinda...... rusted off on the freeway. So right now might be the best performance XD

Second, I cannot tell yet, but would a swap to the Getrag F23 be better over the crappy Isuzu MK7? This Trans seems flimsy, and I think i'd just rather pull an F23 from a wrecked 00-02 Cavalier and swap it in.

Third, I heard superchargers are way to weak on the LN2 as it would just suck all the power trying to drive the supercharger, so my guess would be I'd probably be in for getting a Turbo no? If so I can post a seperate post in the Turbo section, but my question is, is there any performance gains worth it from any kits(45-50Hp gains?) and who makes the Kits?

"I like to burn money in piles too" -Brian

Re: 98 Cavalier RS Performance Mods
Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:59 AM
Don't have an LN2 - but there are quite a few threads on them here. Use the search feature - here's a couple:

Turbo LN2 Video

turbo ln2 buildup

I think QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) got over 400hp from his LN2.

Hahn makes a turbo kit - claims to put 171hp and 195tq at the wheels:
HAHN 98-02 Cavalier-Sunfire LN2 OHV TurboSystems

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:30 AM
There are no longer any turbo kits available for the 2.2 engines. There were at one time, but you'll have to go custom unless you can stumble upon someone selling the parts.

For exhaust, you're not going to get a real deel tone out of that engine. The Magnaflow will definitely be loud, but my personal recomendation is to get a good turbo muffler (Dynomax Super Turbo is good) and a resonator. I know there's a place that sells the mandrel exhaust for our cars without a muffler, but I can't remember who it is.

As for getting power out of the 2.2, the best thing to do is head work. Search "2.2 performance" in this forum. There are a couple of good threads on what to do for a 2.2/2200.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:48 AM
Link to said site for mandrel bent exhaust.

CLICK ME

Regarding the exhausts, the best sound, IMO, will come with either a dynomax turbo muffler or magnaflow muffler pair with the longest resonator you can stuff under the car (i have a 26" under mine IIRC). That will do best to mostely take the dirt bike rice crackle out and give you the deepest smooth tone your motor is capable of producing.

There are no ready to go roots superchargers for the LN2, and I don't recall hearing anyone fitting a ProCharger to one but I would have to believe you can get very respectable power out of one. A supercharger isn't going to suck up all the HP trying to spin it, the force require to spin it shares a relationship with how much boost you are trying to make, and if you have more boost (generally speaking) you have more power, so it is more accurate to say that total delivered power gain is just more limited. To gain ~50Hp from forced induction of whatever kind, you aren't going to need to run a tremendous amount of boost, be it supercharger or turbo.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:32 PM
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies

I'm looking at the hahn Racecraft kit for the Turbo, I like it but it's gonna happens last probably

For the Exhaust, could I do a Magnaflow Catback with a Magnaflow 18Inch resonator, or will it sound bad. I'm looking for a fun sound from the engine that makes it feel more like a fun car.

Would I benefit from a coldair intake? The stock intake looks very restrictive.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:12 PM
The longer the resonator you can stick under the better, it gets rid of rasp and gives it a clean smooth sound. If you're going with bigger pipes and better flowing exhaust it will increase the note volume regardless of the resonator. If you like snap, crackle, pop exhaust garbage then small is good. My 26" still lets a little rice through with my Magnaflow mufflers.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:43 AM
I would seriously reconsider dumping the money for a Hahn kit into an LN2.
With the money you spent on that, you could swap in a DOHC engine (LD9 or L61) or a V6, and have way more potential, and far more options.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:51 PM
Chances are this Car won't be getting heavily modified. I have considered the L61 Swap but I don't know if thats What I prefer to do. I may end up scrapping this car soon and starting one of my other projects. Quite a few cars I have that have no work done to them.

You figure a Ecotech would be a good idea? I'd Like to run Autocross just for fun with this car and idk if it is worth it, I've already gotten funny looks from others about this thing. I currently have no exhaust what so ever, I'm running it open right behind the cat. the LN2 sounds kinda ridiculous. I really wanna find a wrecked cavalier with the Ecotech and F23 and swap over to it, but idk.

Is this car really worth keeping?

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 5:02 PM
Intresting you brought up the Quad Four. My neighbor has a 4 door cavi with the LD9. He's gonna scrap it and said I could have the car. it's not driveable from being in a rear end crash, but I want to do the Quad Four swap. Where's best to look on how to this summer swap the LD9 in place of my LN2?

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:31 PM
Well the Quad did have 10 more hp then the ecotec.
I really liked my Quad, when they are running good they got plenty of power. but I feel the ecotec has more people making parts for them to easily push over what the quad makes.
Friday, February 13, 2015 6:42 AM
Nicholas Reilly wrote:Well the Quad did have 10 more hp then the ecotec.
I really liked my Quad, when they are running good they got plenty of power. but I feel the ecotec has more people making parts for them to easily push over what the quad makes.
The Ecotec is also a lot more advanced engine, and although it's peak HP rating is lower, it's overall power curve is broader than the LD9.

Plenty of power can be made out of either, but saying the Eco has 10 more HP is a very narrow view of the whole picture.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:00 PM
I just like the sound of not having to completely tear the car down to drop in an LD9, otherwise I'd probably go for the Eco. Also, That Supercharger kit for the LD9 looks cool, a root's blower XD.

Plus It is easily accessible here to get the LD9, my neighbors Cavi I took thats wrecked has an LD9, and one of my friends said I could take their old Malibu that is a rebuild with an LD9 as well. So It just sounds easier. I do probably need a new bellhousing, right? Also Would I be better off with a bigger higher HP engine in that car removing the Isuzu MK7 tans for a Getrag F23? I head the Isuzu is not able to take power very nicely.

On a side note, I got a Magnaflow Muffler and Some new Slotted n crossdrilled front rotors, along with a new non rusty hood XD

Headlights are getting swapped and so is my bumper lights.

I had to get towed the other day because the rear passenger tire hit a road hazard and ruined my tire, and my breaker bar was missing so i couldn't change it, and the Tow truck ruined my front bumper, so I'm getting a new bumper hopefully.

What colors are best on the cavalier in most peoples opinion, mines green right now with the gray bumpers, but it's all peeling, so should I paint it stock, or does anyone have any known better colors? I know this is opinionative

Sunday, February 22, 2015 8:51 AM
Thing about the ld9 supercharger kit is that it's a tiny m45 supercharger and is non intercooled. They're also getting harder to find complete. In contrast, the ecotec supercharger kits are EVERYWHERE, use an m62, are intercooled, and have the option to upgrade to an even bigger tvs 1320 supercharger.

For exhaust I strongly suggest just going to mandrelbentexhaust.com and buying most of the piping there. Then run the biggest resonator you can find/fit, and a dynomax super turbo or thrush welded muffler. Take it all to an exhaust shop and have them weld it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, February 22, 2015 8:53 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:38 PM
How hard really is an Eco swap? it sounds extremely difficult. Would the LD9 be better or worse of a swap in that sense, of work to performance gains? I really don't need stupid HP from this car, it's just a fun car I wanna play around with on the track. I will tell the truth, I didn't do the first ECO swap into this car. I paid someone else to and then paid them to swap back when i blew up my old Eco. So I've never done it myself.

Exhaust wise, I Have been running with no muffler for a while and love the sound, mostly it just at idle and low accelerations sounds alot like my 350 block in the Camaro. So I'm curious, Could I just replace the muffler that rusted off with my Maganflow 14852 I had for the Ecotech originally? I still have the muffler, It never even saw installation. Also considering the piping is starting to rust, should i replace it from the cat back? I may replace the header to, it's rusting. The whole car is rust, I really wanna save it. This Trans dying is gonna make it rough, I really am debating, should I pull an F23 and if i do, Where should i buy the trans mounts? GM?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search