Project V8 Z24 - Update - Page 7 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:30 AM
The emblems will imo ruin the look of the car.

If anything the little square silver "gm" badge on the bottom of the door and thats it.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:55 AM
Im with Philly on this one. its not a z24 anymore. it should be simple and the only obvious sign while parked that its modified is maybe some custom plates: [NOTACAV] <----

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:20 PM
Sorry for the late reply Guys, Was on the road for a few days.

Many opinions, all sound good. I think what I'll do is finish the car and start driving it. See if I get used to the way it is, or the naked feeling grows. The samples I showed were just images I found on the net. I'll keep my eyes open and probably buy something. I really like the 3D vinyl emblems or decals. Not a fan of chrome at all. Door handles, mirrors, locks will be black. I still would like to keep it as low key as possible. If I had to decide now, I would get the samples I posted, all in 3D vinyl, same color as the car or black - as per Tony's suggestion.
I will probably come around to putting something on but when I do, I will position them in place and post pics and get you Guys opinion once again. Thanks for all your comments. They have brought more / different options for me to think about.
Cheers

Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:06 PM
Looking good so far!!! Keep up all the good work

Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:02 PM
Tony Ellis wrote:In for updates and video!
Where did you get that cool red, white& blue bow tie emblem? I'd love to have two of them, one for the front & one for the back.
Monday, September 16, 2013 6:43 AM
Jay Maultsby wrote:
Tony Ellis wrote:In for updates and video!
Where did you get that cool red, white& blue bow tie emblem? I'd love to have two of them, one for the front & one for the back.

I made them from hobby shop vinyl! My front one is like that too . . . I grabbed the vinyl for something else I was working on and then I was just messing around and laid the colors over the stock emblems and trimmed to fit.

Friday, October 04, 2013 5:34 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry for the lack of updates. Work has me on the road and makes it difficult to get work done on the Cavy. Collecting all kinds of bits and pieces though. Gona try to get the brakes wrapped up and hopefully get a test drive in before the fall turns to winter.

Cheers

Saturday, October 05, 2013 2:49 AM
I will say one of the most favorite things to do to my car was take the mouldings off. Probably my favorite exterior mod I have ever done next to debadging. It makes the outside look so smooth and clean. That's what I'd recommend you do! Your car in the end!

Saturday, October 05, 2013 5:18 PM
Thanks Vinny,
I like the debadging myself. I also love sleeper cars. It's just that with no badges, I think it looks suspicious.... I would like to put something but I haven't found anything I like yet. I'm definitely not interested in the original ones. I'm currently looking for someone who can make me custom inlays for the Z-24 fender badges. I was thinking of just the inlay and not the chrome emblem (too bulky). Kinda do something like the Impala SS (RWD) where they are painted the same color as the car. There - but not really. In the larger part of the Z or under the 24 put a small V-8 or 383. Just an idea for now.

Monday, October 14, 2013 10:10 AM
Haven't been on J-body for a while and stumbled upon this amazing thread. I love what you are doing here, and I can't find a flaw in your work. I love how factory the car looks. Should bring my '97 sunfire by and we can shove a V8 in that too

http://www.j-body.org/registry/jimmy0182/personal_pic.jpg
Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:01 AM
Thanks James,

When GM released the 3rd gen Z-24, I loved it. I knew one day I would have one. The V-8 RWD thing came after I found out GM wasn't offering anything more the 4 cyl. I bought a bare shell in 2010. Never looked back. Up to about 17K - 18K so far. It was a lot of work and there was a few re-dos here and there. Can't wait for the road test.
Any meets around the Kingston area? I've been to the Oshawa show. Pretty cool. Few around me but no J-Bodys...

Cheers,

Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:13 PM
Hello All,
Had a chance to work on the Cavy today.
Finished up on the brake lines and bled the system.

Engine compartment is complete. Air cleaner is out for sandblasting the chrome. To be painted black

I have the dash together and put a seat in for a test drive

Trunk is done as well

Front end lights to get in and test.
Should be off for a road test next weekend - weather pending

Cheers everyone

Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:17 PM
Great progress! Keep up the great work. Cant wait to see some out of garage on the road pictures!

Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:40 PM
Thanks form the comments
I ordered a suction cup-to-glass support for my camera. It will be joining me for the test run. There is still so much to finalise with the Cavy, and plenty of unknowns. I hope to detect any potential problems as well. I expect to take care of all these little details this winter. For now a road test will throw a huge smile on my face.
Cheers

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:10 PM
have i mentioned i loved this car this month? nope. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

absolutely thrilled that you are taking the time to finish every little thing instead of just taking it out and ripping on it when its not ready.

this car is not getting the attention it deserves. you sir have a talent and if you are not already you should be doing this kind of stuff for a living.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:42 AM
WOW Thanks for the great comments,
Don't mean to dissapoint but the car won't be completely finished when I take out for the road test. Other than the dash, the interior will need to be assembled. I can't do this just yet because (because race car?) I have wiring to take care of.
The Radio needs to be wired up and tested. I need to get an interior antenna as the outside one was shaved.
Recently aquired electric trunk release set up
These doors are electric and the wiring harness wasn't equiped so I have to work it in (keyless entry too)
Roll control (line lock) needs wiring hook up
Windshield washer pump isn't working (was during the construction)
These are not required for a road test
Battery went in last night. It is now located where the old gas tank used to be - passenger side (this was done as an effort to reduce the front end weight). All lights are working with the exception of the reverse lights.
The road test is to see if there is any problems with the Cavy before the winter season comes. There will be plenty of time to fix it.

Cheers

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:27 AM
Great work man. It's coming together nicely.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:04 PM
I was searching the web for a thread like this haven't found many this intensive and informative. I picked up a 1999 2 door z24 for free today and am considering doing a LS1 RWD conversion. Lots of inspiration found in here. I may need to pick your brain if you don't mind for some fab tips and geometry questions for your suspension set up. Again sweet build and keep up the sweet pics
Sunday, October 27, 2013 4:19 PM
Hi Dan,
Nice to see another willing to go through this. Lots of detail to consider and work through. I would be more than happy to help. I can tell you what I did, but cannot tell you what to do. I hope you understand. Very little testing has been done here. If I get a summer of driving in and didn't break anything - like the windshield, no cracks in the quarters and the doors still shut good. I'll feel better about transferring all details and drawings.
What tranny you're considering? Manual will be more challenging
Diff or IRS?

Cheers

Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:53 PM
I have a video of a test run I did today
URL addy
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-MiCVTiDSUiE/Um2aQ_cPNoI/AAAAAAAAA0Q/_DPYkTtNbUk/w506-h285/PA271211.MP4
Why can't I get it to post?

Any help would be appreciated..

Monday, October 28, 2013 6:56 PM
A few pics outside

Video of short road trip soon....

Monday, October 28, 2013 7:54 PM

Video sound isn't too great. Best I can do with what I have,

Will try to scale it before I put it away for winter.

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:50 PM
That is really nice . . looks like it's running fantastic.

Really great job - you must have a great sense of accomplishment right now!!!

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:01 AM
The car ran great. Interior wasn't in so there a bit of exaust noise coming in. the doors were empty except for the loose window mechanism which rattled a bit. The tool box I brought with me banged around a bit.
The car handled super. Didn't feel nose heavy at all. I did the front end alignment with a straight edge and level. It ran straight. Will get it professionally aligned in the spring. Braked good and straight. The manual rack and pinion isn't the greatest for parallel parking but works great otherwise. Took it on a highway, 65mph it purrs at 2300rpm and doesn't take long to get to 120. Pulls hard and handles great. On large dips the rear rubs the fender lips, so I'm thinking of raising the rear about 1/2" and reworking the bump stops accordingly. I have a negative ackerman happening when doing 90 degree turns and Parallel parking. Going to look into it this winter. This was the whole purpose for the test run. Made my list of things I need / want to correct.

Thanks to all for the great information, comments and encouragement. It all helped.

Cheers,

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:28 PM
Mikey G wrote:The car ran great. Interior wasn't in so there a bit of exaust noise coming in. the doors were empty except for the loose window mechanism which rattled a bit. The tool box I brought with me banged around a bit.
The car handled super. Didn't feel nose heavy at all. I did the front end alignment with a straight edge and level. It ran straight. Will get it professionally aligned in the spring. Braked good and straight. The manual rack and pinion isn't the greatest for parallel parking but works great otherwise. Took it on a highway, 65mph it purrs at 2300rpm and doesn't take long to get to 120. Pulls hard and handles great. On large dips the rear rubs the fender lips, so I'm thinking of raising the rear about 1/2" and reworking the bump stops accordingly. I have a negative ackerman happening when doing 90 degree turns and Parallel parking. Going to look into it this winter. This was the whole purpose for the test run. Made my list of things I need / want to correct.

Thanks to all for the great information, comments and encouragement. It all helped.

Cheers,

Good to hear your car ran well!, I know I need to align mine really bad too haha.
Enjoyed your video!, Can't wait to actually drive mine around like you rather than just in a subdivision haha. Made me kinda jealous
Good luck with it this winter!
Also for it hitting in the rear, I don't know how severe it is, or how far your tires stick out, but ever think of just rolling the lips? helped with mine A LOT.
Hopefully next year both our v8 cav's will have most of their bugs worked out
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search