exhaust leak repair - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
exhaust leak repair
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:21 PM
may sound stupid but has anyone thought about/used high temp spray foam, or any spray foam to seal a leak between the muffler and the exhaust pipe, its not like a hole its just a gap caused when i clamped the 2 together

Re: exhaust leak repair
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:49 PM
i used 2 pop cans with the ends cut off and a slit down the side, wrap them around the pipe and use 2 SS hose clamps. one at each end to seal it up, it wont last forever but it will hold for a while.

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:12 PM
yea, i thought bout it but there 2 little leaks in between 2 clamps so thatd be difficult to do, so im just trying to get buy till i weld her up, but idk ive seen the spray foam used on tons of stuff so i was just curious uk?

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:06 PM
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:38 PM
^^ The best thing you can do, is get under the car where the gaskets are suposed to be. Have another person rev up the car and see if you can feel a leak. I found out the easy way, during the middle of winter in Michigan, i saw that my exhaust gas wasn't comming from the muffler, I looked under the car and saw where it was comming out of. Also, use the asbestos kind, if you get the medal ones they tend not to seal as well as it should.

dan

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:55 PM
what about my leak lol ,where i clamp 2 peices of pipe together

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:12 PM
i got some of the tiger wrap.. or something..
its a sheet of fiberglass with glue.. wrap the area with the hole..
get a tin can and cut it open..
wrap it on and use 2 stainless drawbands tighten them down and start your car..
idle for like 10 min and let the stuff set up for an hour or so..

worked for me.. but i used a thin sheet of stainless instead of a tin can.. but it works

"Z24 Dustbunny"
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:27 PM
where did u buy the tiger wrap because ive never heard of it

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:45 PM
go to napa and get a stainless steel band clamp. i would say get rid of the clamp that is there and connect the muffler and exhaust pipe with one of these. i used one of these to fix a leak i had where my glasspack was connected. to be extra sure there wouldn't be any leaks, i also put some exhaust cement stuff and exhaust tape (available at walmart, advance auto, etc) on the connection first then put the clamp around that. they are a little pricey compared to a regular clamp (around $10), but totally worth it.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:48 PM
just to give you an idea, this is what they look like:
http://www.dieselmanor.com/exhaust/exh_clamps.asp

napa had a 2 1/4" one for me, hopefully they will have one in your size.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:00 PM
oh ya thanks man i forgot about those ya, i hope advance has those, but ya ill try it out, im actaully gonna do it either tomorrow, or friday ill let uk how it works, lol yea i love those glasspack to, ha replaced my cat wit one

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:30 PM
just grab some stick JB works like a champ start the car up and smash it in the hole or crack or leak whatever where it coming from. JB weld

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:00 PM
well i went to napa, lol found one in my area, and bought the clamp, and jb stick weld lol, i just put the jb on it, and in an hour ill let it cure then ill put the clamp on, ill let ya kno how it goes

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search