cracked front sub frame - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cracked front sub frame
Monday, October 19, 2009 11:12 AM
i have a 5-6 in crack in the driver side piece of my front sub frame does anyone have a spare complete sub frame laying around? i figured i would ask before call all the local u pulls for one. also my car is a 96 what years can i use to replace it. Thanks in advance

Re: cracked front sub frame
Monday, October 19, 2009 4:00 PM
i am pretty sure all of our sub-frames are identical. from 95-05.

i wouldn't bother trying to find one on here, odds are you're local junk yard has tons of them. shipping would be a first born for one of these things, so unless you find someone locally thats got one (be better to ask you're particular regional forum) i highly doubt you will have any luck in getting one.

I must confess... I feel like a monster!
Monday, October 19, 2009 4:54 PM
Where are you located? I have a spare, but I don't want to go thru the hassle of trying to ship it.

Monday, October 19, 2009 6:46 PM
Shadowfire wrote:Where are you located? I have a spare, but I don't want to go thru the hassle of trying to ship it.

i rest my case.

I must confess... I feel like a monster!
Monday, October 19, 2009 7:06 PM
95-05 are the same interchangeable wise, although the 03 ups had an extra brace for strength.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:43 AM
Shadowfire wrote:Where are you located? I have a spare, but I don't want to go thru the hassle of trying to ship it.

WTF Micah? I need a subframe myself. Mine took a hit from the previous owner that keeps the passenger side control arm from coming out and minor issues with the dogbone. I live in an apartment so I'll see if my dad has room for it til I can put it on and maybe we can work something out. You don't happen to have the control arms too do you?

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:46 AM
awesome well thanks for the info guys. shadowfire thanks for the offer but i am in NY (which is why it's cracked damn salt) I will for sure be at my local junkyard before the snow starts up here
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:12 AM
Gary Frank wrote: although the 03 ups had an extra brace for strength.

False.
Depending on the model, engine, year, trans, you'll get an extra brace (you can even buy it if you want). I've personally seen 2000 Sunfires with 2200 the auto with a different front cradle that looks to have a brace. If you plan to keep your car for long, I would go for new, as the new ones are updated, and has the latest designs for crash worthiness and integrity. If you are going for used, go with a 2000 or newer, with of course no rust, and no past repairs done to it.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:17 AM
Pics of this "brace"? I've never seen it... or maybe I've been looking right at it and never noticed the damn thing

Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:09 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Gary Frank wrote: although the 03 ups had an extra brace for strength.

False.
Depending on the model, engine, year, trans, you'll get an extra brace (you can even buy it if you want). I've personally seen 2000 Sunfires with 2200 the auto with a different front cradle that looks to have a brace. If you plan to keep your car for long, I would go for new, as the new ones are updated, and has the latest designs for crash worthiness and integrity. If you are going for used, go with a 2000 or newer, with of course no rust, and no past repairs done to it.

thats odd, cuz every signal 03-05 i've seen has it and i've never seen one on a pre 03...so i'ma stick to my story for now untill proven wrong. And i really don't think you can buy the brace i'm talking about beacuse its part of the sub frame iirc

john, i'll go take of a pic of mine later in the day, but a quick google search i found this pic, which you can see some of the brace in the bottom corner

as you can see the 03 up sub frame is flat across the bottom with round holes drilled in, as compared to the pre 03 sub frame which hoops up in the center (most-likely designed this way to allow the 2.2 &2200 exhaust pipes to pass under from the front.

sorry for the @!#$ty pics....will got out later and get one of mine and one of the wifeys 00.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:20 AM

Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:16 AM
John Lenko wrote:Pics of this "brace"? I've never seen it... or maybe I've been looking right at it and never noticed the damn thing

This is from a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire. "16) Susp support Rear crossbar"

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:21 PM
Hmmm... neat. $5 says that's the piece that's making an awful clattering sound when I go over bumps in my 03 Cavy...!

Friday, October 23, 2009 7:43 AM
Hmm I still don't see the 'brace' lol Can someone use paint to circle it?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, October 23, 2009 12:40 PM
The part in that picture looks like a body piece. The one that forms the front of the tunnel and the subframe bolts to.

Friday, October 23, 2009 3:58 PM
john, the brace that i'm saying makes the difference is welded on..on make this thing rattle you would have to hit something sooo hard i'd be looking for a new car lol....I don't believe the part mr.goodwrech is talking about is the same one i'm talking about.

Like ive said before and i'll say it again, THE 03-05 IS DIFFRENT!. The 95-02 hoops up (allowing the 2.2/2200 exhaust to pass threw ALL the 03-05 cars have an extra brace (FULLY WELED) to the sub frame

Hear is a photo of my 05, you can see that it is flat across the bottom, with round holes drilled into it. THIS IS WHAT MAKES THE SUB FRAMES DIFFRENT!

Now an 95-02...as you can see no brace, just the hump!

no, it has nothing to do with manuals, and autos, its 95-02 and 03-05, i don't know how to be much clearer...

Sunday, August 30, 2015 9:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, but has anyone modified an 03 subframe to fit an earlier model (95-02).
Tuesday, December 01, 2015 6:38 PM
Bumping Ron's comment as i may be in a similar predicament.
Wednesday, December 02, 2015 7:09 AM
I wouldnt...

Yes im sure you could cut it out and weld in metal to make it work but it is much easier and wiser to go with the correct one designed for the year.

If you have a 2.4 then you could probably use the 03 without mods as the exhaust exits like the cotec does.
Thursday, December 03, 2015 3:04 AM
if you have a 2.4 you can use 95-05, if you have an 2.2 eco you can use a 95-05, but if you have a 2.2 2200 you have to use a 95-02...and make sure the 02 is the older style.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, December 03, 2015 9:17 PM
I have a 95-02 subframe laying around, that's been powder coated black. in northern VA, if you want it, it's a spare. I thought i had a welded thread go bad, but it was just that a bolt sheered off. found out while swapping it for another one, so I just put the new one in. If you can pickup, or wanna pay shipping let me know. I spent $200 to powder coat it, but i'll take $100 for it. + S/H if you need one.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search