Neon disc swap how to - Page 27 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:42 PM
i wa gonna say i left mine in, no drag here

Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:54 AM
Hmmm, good feedback then.
I know there's a ton to read but to remember everything in this thread would most certainly be overwhelming.
Thanks guys.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:11 PM
^^ yeah i know what you mean shew i had to read every single page more than once before i wanted to even try the install lol...

Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:14 PM
Same here I read it a few times but got tired of going over it just to find the answer manually. Thanks for the feedback and I will take the wheel off to see if I see light. Could I be suffering cause I have the 3speed auto. I can't tell cause when I bought the car I found out no one had EVER done the rear brakes and I had to rip and break off the old drums cause the pad was about .030 from coming out the drum wall. So I just did the swap.
Sunday, September 06, 2009 7:33 PM
on the parking brakes when you pull the parking brake to set it and let off your regular brakes and it moves forward or backward depending on how the car is setting do your parking brakes kinda click? i mean mine fully engages and it holds the car without any issues but that clicking consurns me.... it kinda does but then kinda doesnt see my dad has a intrepid and as you all know its the same setup and he said his clicks as well so is this normal? thanks guys

Sunday, September 06, 2009 7:43 PM
did you lube the places where the shoes rest on?

Sunday, September 06, 2009 9:37 PM
crap... no i didnt.... lol..... ah it wouldnt take much to do that..... i never even thought about doing that.....

Monday, September 07, 2009 1:52 AM
sorry to whore up this post but i have something for you guys... anyone wanting some good washers to space your rotors out i went to advance and got these... Dorman 711-802 short shank mag washers. they spaced the rotors out perfectly.. just incase anyone was looking for something better than cheap flat washers...

pic

Monday, September 07, 2009 6:57 AM

I went with 1/2 inch 316 stainless steel washers that were a bit bigger for better distribution of weight to the rotor.
I'd seen the mag washers like the ones shown but thought they were too skinny to really do a good job at spacing.
The ones I used worked out perfect and you can get them at most Lowes or Home Depot's along with Ace Hardware stores in their hardware departments.
Either washer will do and provide you with the spacing needed to make everything work.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, September 07, 2009 5:08 PM
just wondering, would you recommend getting new calipers, or using ones from a yard. also is there a diagram of what exactly needs to be milled off of the bracket? I really want to get this done since my rears are almost to the point of needing to be replaced. I saw the diagram for the holes on pg 3, is that for the bracket too?

~Jeff
Monday, September 07, 2009 7:20 PM
The first couple of pages will give you the information on where to machine.

I went with new calipers because I wanted to have everything new with the setup.
I never trust junkyard parts to work perfectly so I try to buy new.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 3:18 AM
thanks alot. i'm going to call local yards about parts today

~Jeff
Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:14 PM
James Cahill wrote:Here are NotsoOceansideEco's pics-

Grinding needed on the top of the axle-

this is for a third gen right? what exactly needs to be ground here? is it just the bit on the top? I haven't gotten my back apart yet, but I do have the bracket/plate, rotors, and pads. all thats left to pick up is the calipers. and sandblast/mill the brackets.

~Jeff
Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:26 PM
You're basically taking the rear axle as you can see from below, which is stock, and modify it.

Here is what it should look like when you've done your grinding. This should (and is) the perfect way to grind it down and make it look good to boot.

Hope that explains it a bit better and this is for the third gen axle.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:32 PM
so just grind it flat across the top? sounds good. what is the easiest way to grind it without removing the whole axle

~Jeff
Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:43 PM
angle grinder

Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:43 PM
This. It cuts and grinds.

You can cut off the excess with a cutting wheel and then grind it smooth like you see it here.
Nothing to it really whether on the car or off.

Good luck with it.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, September 12, 2009 10:17 AM
well i got my brackets machined today so all thats left for me is brake lines!!!

~Jeff
Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:27 PM
BlkCav wrote:just an FYI 90's Daytona rubber rear lines thread into the stock jbody line, and work with the caliper

just reread the thread again... just want to make sure this is accurate^^ if so then I will have disks by the end of this week!

~Jeff
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:39 PM
lafonjef wrote:
BlkCav wrote:just an FYI 90's Daytona rubber rear lines thread into the stock jbody line, and work with the caliper

just reread the thread again... just want to make sure this is accurate^^ if so then I will have disks by the end of this week!

Man I honestly can't say. I used stainless steel braided lines and adaptors that Josh dearman included in his group purchase. So I really cannot say if this is true.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:59 AM
Okay, I know that the bigger SRT-4 rotors can be used. However, do you need to use the SRT-4 calipers then as well, or will the regular neon calipers work? Also, if using the SRT-4 setup, do you get the emergency brake shoes for the SRT-4 as well?

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:16 PM
You'll need to keep everything SRT4 if you're going that route.
That's exactly what I did and it all fit nicely onto the caliper brackets.
And getting the ebrake setup for the SRT is no different than getting it for the base Neon. Just make sure that you use a year of Neon SRT4 to keep it all consistent.
I used the 2004 Neon SRT for my setup to make it easy.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:09 PM
Awesome, thanks Misnblu! Much appreciated. One more question, do you know what thread pitch the SRT-4 calipers were? 20 or 24?

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:52 AM
Hard to say. The rebuilt units I bought had 10.0X1 metric helicoil inserts in them and after buying several adapters finally got the right ones.
7/16 24 thread should be the size that came with the calipers though but don't be surprised if you buy rebuilt units that they've got helicoils in them.
You'll have to look into the threaded area to see if it's the stock size thread or if an insert has been installed.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:37 PM
well after having the rear swap done for about 6 months now i was worried about my alignment out back... well i went to get it checked and i must say... mister josh dearman is a heck of a machinist.. my driver side camber was -0.1 degrees and my toe on that side was a little high but they said i would be fine it was 0.38 degrees.... my passenger side was way better than that.. camber was -0.5 degrees and the toe was 0.18 degrees... so incase anyone was wondering this man knows how to machine.... the guy at the alignment shop was very very impressed when i told him that they had to be machined a little.... so hats off to you josh.. thanks for doing a great job....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search