Neon disc swap how to - Page 5 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Neon disc swap how to
Monday, September 12, 2005 8:08 PM
Well, I finished my swap last weekend. I basically did it the same way James did his. The only thing I didn't do is the e-brake, since I haven't even used it once since i've had my car. Eventually I will hook up the e-brake, but for now its fine without it because I don't live near or park on any hills.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 6:01 AM
now if i go to a junk yard and can possibly find a neon sport what will i ned to pull off of it?

Look Im Premium Now Give Me More Post....
Tuesday, September 13, 2005 2:06 PM
dirty elf wrote:the suspension setup on the 2gens are different no?

Yes, the axle/spring/shock is, but the bearings/brakes are exactly the same, front and rear (92+).

Cracker Rocket wrote:Well, I finished my swap last weekend. I basically did it the same way James did his. The only thing I didn't do is the e-brake, since I haven't even used it once since i've had my car. Eventually I will hook up the e-brake, but for now its fine without it because I don't live near or park on any hills.

Cool! Got any pics?

Shaune Drake wrote:now if i go to a junk yard and can possibly find a neon sport what will i ned to pull off of it?

Read the first page of this thread. Everything you need is listed.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 1:17 PM
i cant find any blasted neon sports around here is there anything else? ive found plenty of regular neons but no sports.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 3:27 PM
The Highlines came with discs also. As long as it has discs, its all the same. The Neon is the only car that specific caliper bracket came on. One from another car may fit/work, but I can't give you any ideas, since I never measured any others myself.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 6:14 PM
I have a doubt, does 00+ Neon rear disc brakes can be used? are equal to -99 Neon rear disc brakes?

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 6:47 PM
so let me get this straight does 2000+ neons have the back brake system i need. cause i cant find a neon sport anywhere.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 7:00 PM
As far as I know, only the '99 and earlier Neons have the brakes that we can use.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 7:02 PM
should be the same. I have an 04 Neon rotor & it still uses that internal drum, etc. Doubt they changed the bracket & such.

Friday, September 16, 2005 7:50 AM
any neon or does it have to be a sport....?

trm95z
have you installed yet.... please keep me posted on your status cause i found a 2003 regular neon that i could pull the system from

Friday, September 16, 2005 11:08 AM
^^^^^ 96-99 Neon HAS to be Sport. Otherwise it will have drums on it not discs. I am personally having a hard time finding these damn things. All the Sport neons around here have the rear discs taken out.

Jay

Friday, September 16, 2005 12:35 PM
any of the years listed with rear disks , i think the rt's and some acr's had rear disks also

Friday, September 16, 2005 2:41 PM
Directly from the first page of this thread-

James Cahill wrote:Needed parts
The setup is the same from 95-02, so any year should work. To do what I did, you will need (part numbers for all this can be found here-

The rotor and caliper are the same through 04, just the bracket changed.

I've answered the question about Sport or base models already.

ANY NEON WITH REAR DISCS FROM 95-02 WILL WORK. 03+ may possibly work, I've never seen the caliper bracket.

Friday, September 16, 2005 3:46 PM
if you ditch the abs and use the bonneville master cylinder is there any problems with the booster? pedal? thanks

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
do you ever notice that the ones who talk the loudest have the least to talk about?
Friday, September 16, 2005 3:58 PM
Andrew Smith wrote:if you ditch the abs and use the bonneville master cylinder is there any problems with the booster? pedal? thanks

Since I have a 2nd gen, I can't guarantee the master uses the same bolt pattern, but this is GM after all, so it is most likely the same. It bolts right up and functions perfectly, no problems other than the reservoir Ive discussed in other threads. if you ahve any other questions, please email me so that this thread stays on topic.

Friday, September 16, 2005 4:16 PM
To answer Shaune Drake, no I havent installed the Neon rotor. I decided to stick with my SSBC kit as is, rather then reduce the rotor size using a Neon rotor. I was not a fan of the Neon rotor as it is thin & solid. So until I find a vented rear that is a direct fit on our hub Im not going to bother replacing the 12" ones.
Friday, September 16, 2005 4:20 PM
i wanna join team dropzone!!!

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
do you ever notice that the ones who talk the loudest have the least to talk about?
Saturday, September 17, 2005 1:50 AM
^wow that really doesnt fit here.

Monday, September 19, 2005 8:57 PM
For you that have brake drag, CONSIDER THIS!:
Our cars come stock with rear drum brakes as every one knows, BUT what everyone does not know is that for a drum brake wheel cylinder to function normally, it requires a constant 8 - 15 PSI. This is caused by a Residual Pressure Valve built into the master cylinder. This will cause a disc brake to drag if it over comes the square-cut-seal inside of the caliper, which doesn't take much pressure. To eliminate this problem you WILL have to swap in a different master cylinder, OR your rear brakes will wear out prematurely. I have already been looking into this and believe that the Master cylinder from a Grand AM with rear disc Might bolt right up, But I have yet to confirm this. I will try to find this out for sure and I will make sure to give an update.

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 10:47 AM
Ok I have measured the Master clinder on my car and found the studs to be 3 1/4 in on center and the outside of the flange to be 4 1/4 inches, so basically it is the standard GM size, but I still have more to do... like inside diameter of the master cylinder, and the proper hookup of the brake lines

And another thing does it matter if the donor Neon has ABS or not?

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 10:55 AM
I dont have ABS, am I still going to have to worry about brake drag?

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 11:37 AM
rear disc for over two rears, no drag.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:42 PM
Quote:

Its not the ABS that would cause a drag. Its the residual pressure check valve that would. I have also found that the Master Cylinder for the Grand AM has an internal bore diameter of 1 inch, and the Cav is .875, so this looks like a pretty good upgrade. I still need to find out if this will bolt up right and the brake lines hooking up perfect.

And this was mentioned earlier that someone couldn't find EBC greenstuff rear break pads for the Neon rear discs, try looking here and
here is some nice Power Slot rotors to go with!

'99 2200 LS CX1 Sport
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 2:14 PM
Pushrods & Nitrous! wrote:And another thing does it matter if the donor Neon has
ABS or not?

No. All the hardware is the same between ABS and non ABS cars. The sensor is screwed in from the rear of the caliper bracket, and the reluctor wheel is on the outside of the bearing. Similar to the stock front ABS sensors on a J body.

Also- good info about the residual check valve. I can honestly say I never thought of that, probably because I didn't have to worry about it .

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:49 PM
Pushrods & Nitrous! wrote:
Quote:

Its not the ABS that would cause a drag. Its the residual pressure check valve that would. I have also found that the Master Cylinder for the Grand AM has an internal bore diameter of 1 inch, and the Cav is .875, so this looks like a pretty good upgrade. I still need to find out if this will bolt up right and the brake lines hooking up perfect.

And this was mentioned earlier that someone couldn't find EBC greenstuff rear break pads for the Neon rear discs, try looking here and
here is some nice Power Slot rotors to go with!

Most modern GM vehicle MCs are swappable. There'e another forum around here where we discusses swapping a H-Body MC. Anyway, if you swap any other MC in, you'll lose ABS and TC (unless you steal a MC w/ it's ABS/TC module and ABS Computer; which we talked about in that other forum).

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search