3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO - Page 4 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3800 SUPERCHARGED SWAP INFO
Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:20 PM
yeah that'll happen

what kinda milage was on the trans

JBO since July 30, 2001

Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:48 PM
Thats with the getrag trans right? I was thinking about an isuzu trans from a storm. I know i have to change the bellhousing, but i heard the good isuzi tranny's are stronger than the getrags.

NOTa2_4, you said you drove for 2 weeks on a stock programmed GTP ecu. How was that? did the ecu freak out and do anything weird cause it cant sense the tranny being a 5 speed compared to a auto. Just curious cause i thought the ecu controlled the trans and wasnt sure how it would react losing that control.
Also could I use the harness out of a 98 Grand prix with a regular 3800 in it and then just swap to a GTP ecu? Or is the harness diffrent.
thanks

Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:07 PM
im not sure i got my trans from somone i paid 100$ for the trans axles clutch mastercylinder and mounts so even so im still happy with it

Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:27 PM
Do you know what year cavy it came out of? I could tell you what kind of tranny it is based off that. I'd be impressed if you say 95-99. How long has it held up so far?

Friday, June 12, 2009 6:04 AM
Getrag=2000+

Friday, June 12, 2009 8:22 AM
i know its an 01 getrag i just for got to say that but im going try and get a 2.4 getrag and put a lsd in it and swap the bellhousing to the 2200 one the gearing is a little diffrent im hoping it will help my first gear

Friday, June 12, 2009 3:17 PM
Sticky!

Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:21 PM
i put probably 2000km on my car in those 2 weeks the only thing the computer really did was when it thought it should be shifting it seem to bog a bit nothing big tho.

you can use the 98 NA wiring just have to wire in the BOOST BYPASS VALVE don't screw around with the izusu trans i had a PM from a member on here and i told him the same theres a reason Darren, Isaak, Raven, Myself, Mike and i know theres more plus the 3400 guys are all using the 2000-02 2200SFI trans its not because we wanna make more work for ourselves to change the linkage and stuff its to get a stronger trans

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:39 PM
well i got a pulley today its a stock cobalt pulley its a 3.3 and with my timing backed out quite a bit i dont have any problems and wow does it make a diffrents

Sunday, June 14, 2009 10:44 AM
I hope you have the mods to back up that extra power, knock will kill the motor very quickly, get it scanned to see what your hitting.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:58 PM
Picked up a 98 Grand prix GTP harness and ecu yesterday, Spending today striping it down to just what i need. There is a lot of junk comming out of the fuse panel on the passenger side, I think its for lights and such. I'm still hunting for the wiring diagram before I tear into it.

What sort of supporting mods need to be made to support a smaller pulley? I've heard that a lot but nobody ever mentions what the mods are.

Why isnt this a sticky yet?

Sunday, June 14, 2009 5:45 PM
A 3.4 pulley usually needs colder plugs, bigger exhaust including downpipe, intake other than stock.
A 3.3/3.2 should have a cam, intercooler or headers, basically just making the engine either breathe easier or having a colder intake charge.
Basically anything less needs intercooler and a cam for sure, one of the best mods are aftermarket headers.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:34 PM
well i have 2 step colder plugs my timing is backed down quite a bit i now have an intake that goes into the fender well ported front manifold ported supercharger and a 3 inch downpipe and i dont have any kr

Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:39 PM
3.4 you need an intake other then stock, colder plugs and 180 tstat u bend delete
since most of us make an itake thats covered
u bend don't have it but stock pipeing has to be minimum 2.25 i have 2.5 manderal i would never use 2.25 on a 3.4 pully, thats what the stock pipe size is on GP but to risky best to just go 3 from the start i had 2.5 at the shop so thats why we used it but will be swaping that out soon
180 tstat and colder plugs are easy

ZZPERFORMANCE.COM lists what needs to be done for what pully under the pully section

if you don't have the mods your gonna blow it up i know a few guys that have done it on a GP so mike if you don't have them get them

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:59 PM
Thanks guys, I'm new to supercharger's. I'm more used to turbo cars when it comes to boost, but it is quite similar.

I have a couple sets of headers for a quad 4 when I used to have one of those. I was thinking of hacking them up and making a set of headers for my 3800. What sort of diameter piping should I be using for a decent set of headers?

Monday, June 15, 2009 7:47 AM
well as of right now the only thing i think i may need done is the thermostat and i already have that just dont have it in yet its a 180 drilled but in about 3 weeks it will have methanol injection as well and from what i have read with that i could run a 3.0 pulley with mild mods (it is the internet so it may not be true)so i figure with a 3.3 ill be very safe with kr as i dont even have it now

Monday, June 15, 2009 8:13 PM
Whoever says you can run a 3.0 pulley on mild mods are stupid, seriously...... but hey, throw one on and let us know how it goes

Monday, June 15, 2009 9:00 PM
Been doing a little research and I found something interesting. The 3300 shares the same block as the 3800 and was available in the 92 - 98 style N bodies which shares the same basic chassis as our J's. So would it be possible to use the N body 3300 passenger side engine mount? Or is the pulley arangement diffrent on a 3800 interfering with the mount?
I'm sure its been covered before but i was suprised when I couldnt find anything in the search.

Monday, June 15, 2009 9:40 PM
Isaak wrote:Whoever says you can run a 3.0 pulley on mild mods are stupid, seriously...... but hey, throw one on and let us know how it goes
i was saying with methenol injection but im not going to a 3.0 anytime soon prolly never acctualy but i o know with my basics i have now it seems to work well. im going to put a northstar throttle body on maybe i will say 3.3 is right on the edge for my current mods

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:09 PM
3.3 will be fine as long as you do the mods that allow the engine to breathe (intake and exhaust)... some timing helps too. Best thing to do is drive the car and scan, make sure there is little to no KR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:09 PM

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:42 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:you can use the 98 NA wiring just have to wire in the BOOST BYPASS VALVE don't screw around with the izusu trans i had a PM from a member on here and i told him the same theres a reason Darren, Isaak, Raven, Myself, Mike and i know theres more plus the 3400 guys are all using the 2000-02 2200SFI trans its not because we wanna make more work for ourselves to change the linkage and stuff its to get a stronger trans

LOL. Im not afraid to be pointed at bro. But yes, I will be looking into the getrag since Ill have to pull another trans from the yard anyways.

Isaak wrote:Whoever says you can run a 3.0 pulley on mild mods are stupid, seriously...... but hey, throw one on and let us know how it goes

I learned this from experience. If you dont have an intercooler, dont go that small. 3.4 or lower, you better have intake and headers. Some people I know are running around with a 3.0 on but they have HPTuned their cars to pull a LOT of timing so they dont blow. Pretty much the car kills all in 1st gear but lands on its face after. At the track, numbers are good. On the freeway, most cars with close/equal competition will beat them.

Mr_Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:Been doing a little research and I found something interesting. The 3300 shares the same block as the 3800 and was available in the 92 - 98 style N bodies which shares the same basic chassis as our J's. So would it be possible to use the N body 3300 passenger side engine mount? Or is the pulley arangement diffrent on a 3800 interfering with the mount?
I'm sure its been covered before but i was suprised when I couldnt find anything in the search.

Ive actually been working on this since I own a Nbody. From what I can gather, I can do this swap rather easy. (NOT including the wiring lol) You guys, it looks like the mount may be the same, but the subframe is entirely different. I guess it goes back to the question why do you guys need a custom subframe...

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:09 AM
because the series 1 stuff dont bolt to the series 2 stuff

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:42 PM
Isnt the block the same tho? My only concern was the pulley arrangement on the 3800 might be diffrent than the 3300 and get in the way of the mount. I'll have to grab one next time I'm at the wreckers and give it a shot when I get that far.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:28 PM
NO its not if you look on the 3800 block it says 3800 SERIES II the 3300 does NOT share the same block it is a 90 degree V6 and is the little brother to the 3800. as far as i know the only guys that can use 3300 parts is the 2nd gen j bodys apparently they can use the 3300 mounts but for a 3rd gen your custom

the amount of work needed to make a 3300 subframe fit is more then what it takes to make one, i have 2 hours total into mine if yo ucan weld you can make one however if you can't weld then you shouldn't be doin this swap anyway

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:39 PM
all you need for the subframe is tubing (square makes mounting easier) a welder and a cutting device (a chop saw works best)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search