Stock 6X9 wiring... 4 wire & 2 wire???? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stock 6X9 wiring... 4 wire & 2 wire????
Friday, August 11, 2006 6:34 PM
Ok my silver 04 cav (LS Sport) had 4 wire connections going to the rear 6X9's. there was a plug for each speaker with 4 wires going in each..

On my tan 04 cav (Base) it had regular 2 wire connections going to te rear 6X9's. There was a plug for each speaker with 2 wires going in each.

What years/modles had the 2 wire vs. the 4 wire?

Re: Stock 6X9 wiring... 4 wire & 2 wire????
Friday, August 11, 2006 7:01 PM
The ones with the 4 wires have the external amp.

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:44 PM
why is it only on the rears that they had the 4 wire and not the door speakers? and I didn' think my silver one had the external amp, it was a non monsoon cd RDS radio

Saturday, August 12, 2006 11:07 AM
on the cavalier it was called the premium audio package.....rear speakers are amped and the door speakers are upgraded.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 5:58 AM
I see, that makes sence

Sunday, August 13, 2006 6:16 PM
the rear is like a 2 way component/coaxial - there is an input for the woofer (bass) and the twetter (highs)

My Myspace Page
Monday, August 14, 2006 4:35 AM
which is weird cuz the fronts have a seperate tweeter and mid....

Monday, August 14, 2006 11:59 AM
built in crossover maybe?

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:47 AM
dunno i pulled my door panel the other day.....for the first time....and i was like whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 5:02 AM
Yeah has anyone posted pics on how to hook up aftermarket speakers to the 4 wires. i have the 4 wires with the amp which is right behind the carpet but how do i hook my aftermarket ones up correctly and still be amped. and im a kind of person that need pictures please lol.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 4:06 PM
More info please i know have 4 extra wires what kind of tweats work with this.

Sunday, January 07, 2007 8:06 AM
bump 'cause i'm looking now too

Best quarter mile to date - 15.750 @ 85.82
"We ride together, we die together. Bad Boys for life"

Nimbus 9, some friends of my that rock! Click and experience them for yourself
Sunday, January 07, 2007 9:39 AM
ill find out how its was done. actually come to think about it we just bypassed them because i used more powerful speakers all around and ran amps to them..
so i'll see what i can find out.

GOT ECOTEC?
Sunday, January 07, 2007 1:36 PM
Here is the wiring diagram for the rear speakers:

Best I could find is here:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=34788&KW=cavalier

Quote:

Raydawg is on the money. Your particular car has a monsoon "upgraded" stereo. Bascially is what he said. You have factory speakers with amps to power them. There is not way around it then just re-wiring it to bypass the amp all together. If you just use two of the four wires, you will still be going through the amp which is creating your problem.

So... going with that, you can use the stock Cavi wiring if you either a) use the low-pass only or 2) get bi-input components or tres: hook the 6x9's to the lowpass and a set of tweets to the highpass (the third option I'm not 100% sure on as it may have too low of an ohm load for the stock amp)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, January 07, 2007 1:38 PM

Friday, January 19, 2007 2:52 PM
I haven't checked this in awhile. But I did get around the amp without running new wires. the hi/low split happens at the amp in the trunk. I unpluged the amp and tapped into the dark blue/light blue (right side) and yellow/brown (left side). those wires came strait off the deck. ran new wires to my 6x9's and i got bass back in the speakers. All i have left to do is tiddy up the wiring and add bass blockers and I'm done.

by the way, this was the uq3 stereo 2005 cavalier rear amp only

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 19, 2007 2:54 PM

Best quarter mile to date - 15.750 @ 85.82
"We ride together, we die together. Bad Boys for life"

Nimbus 9, some friends of my that rock! Click and experience them for yourself
Sunday, January 21, 2007 6:48 PM
If and when I add an aftermarket deck to my 03', I'm planning on running new wires from the deck to the rear of a larger guage wire and leaving the plugs and factory wiring intact for when I sell the car later. Same goes for the fronts. Actually doesn't take very long at all just to run new wires and not deal with the hassle.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 1:03 PM
o would have to say the bes bet is to go with a 6.5 component and make a mounting plate to put the tweet and midbass in the location of the stock 6x9.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:46 AM
Quote:

I haven't checked this in awhile. But I did get around the amp without running new wires. the hi/low split happens at the amp in the trunk. I unpluged the amp and tapped into the dark blue/light blue (right side) and yellow/brown (left side). those wires came strait off the deck. ran new wires to my 6x9's and i got bass back in the speakers. All i have left to do is tiddy up the wiring and add bass blockers and I'm done.

thats the same way i did it. worked great.
that "premium audio is a load of crap, i didn't even want it but in came with the sunroof as part of there "sun and sound" package.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:09 AM
ok a wicked old topic but, i need help on this, how do i hook up aftremarket rear speakers and have them amped by the stock car amp?

ok hears the deal, i have:
two 300watt 6x9's
four 100watt 6's
sub setup
52Wx4 sony xplode head unit with outputs for: audio out front; audio out rear/sub; bus audio in

soooo idk what to do lol
HELP ME OUT!!!!!!

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Monday, June 11, 2012 10:44 AM
Run new speaker wire to your rear speakers. Your axplodes head unit will have more power than the stock amp.

Friday, June 22, 2012 4:42 PM
yeah but in doing so ill have a huge open gap in the dash, plus the door chimes wont work afterwords......

Monday, June 25, 2012 7:46 AM
You won't have a gap in the dash if you use the right dash kit, and who cares about chimes? If you really want chimes they make a 35 dollar box for chimes.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:46 AM
where can i get a dash kit?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search