welding cable - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
welding cable
Friday, December 10, 2010 1:04 PM
anyone use welding cable for amp power line? my local car audio shop wants $4/foot for 4g cable and i can get 2g 600v rated welding cable for $2 a foot.
anyone ever use this? is there anything i need to know?

Re: welding cable
Friday, December 10, 2010 3:22 PM
i'm running it. couldn't be happier.

car audio noob since 1984.
Friday, December 10, 2010 3:42 PM
A lot of people use it. Its cheaper and has a higher strand count so its more flexible. I have the wire to swap to... I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, December 10, 2010 4:19 PM
Friday, December 10, 2010 4:55 PM
The knu konceptz is great but still kills the price on shipping.

I run nothing but welding cable on all of my installs. I would would run 1/0 gauge instead of 2. The price difference should be minimal.

Whats up people?
Friday, December 10, 2010 4:56 PM
welding supply dot com ftw, ive been using welding wire for a while now, dont think ill go back to that fine strand car audio crap

click sig for my car audio videos
Friday, December 10, 2010 5:02 PM
ahahaha you call everything that is built for it's purpose "crap?" I see a lot of this from you lately.... Welding cable works fine and is a huge money saver... but "fine strand crap"?!?!?!? Finer strands(more per diameter), is more flexible which is much easier to work with. There's a reason. And welding cable, from what I've seen, has a thinner jacket. I've got nothing against it, but to see someone say that car audio cable is "crap" annoys the @!#$ out of me.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Friday, December 10, 2010 5:13 PM
Electrically, nothing to lost or gain as long as length and diameter are equal. From an installation standpoint, see above ^

Friday, December 10, 2010 5:13 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:A lot of people use it. Its cheaper and has a higher strand count so its more flexible. I have the wire to swap to... I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Really depends what audio wire youre buying into. Compared to some KnuConceptz Kollossus welding wire looks solid.

Friday, December 10, 2010 5:14 PM
On another note. I don't believe welding cable is coated at all, so oxidation will eventually build up a pretty hefty resistance in the cable.

Friday, December 10, 2010 5:22 PM
bradsk88 wrote:On another note. I don't believe welding cable is coated at all, so oxidation will eventually build up a pretty hefty resistance in the cable.

Say what? It really shouldnt oxidize that much if all.

Friday, December 10, 2010 5:43 PM
If it's pure copper you bet your tits it will.

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:00 PM
But its not really exposed to the air except at the ends.

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:01 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:ahahaha you call everything that is built for it's purpose "crap?" I see a lot of this from you lately.... Welding cable works fine and is a huge money saver... but "fine strand crap"?!?!?!? Finer strands(more per diameter), is more flexible which is much easier to work with. There's a reason. And welding cable, from what I've seen, has a thinner jacket. I've got nothing against it, but to see someone say that car audio cable is "crap" annoys the @!#$ out of me.

i say fine strand crap for one reason and one reason only. its a big pain int he ass to get the fine strand crap into wire terminals and into, well, anything, its so fine that it doesnt hold a shape good enough to be used more than a couple of times. some one in my position who takes there stereo out and puts a new on in every week needs to be able to have good ends on there power and ground cables to not accidentally spark over tot he other side. the fine strand crap just goes all over, and there really is no need for it. the welding cable is very flexable. keep saying it isnt, but it is. plus once youve ran wire, it doesnt need to move!

and brad, ive had mine in for a long time and no oxidation has happened

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:01 PM
You don't think air can fit between the strands of the cable?

I'll give you a hint, it can.

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:04 PM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:the fine strand crap just goes all over

You're doing it wrong.

Quote:

and brad, ive had mine in for a long time and no oxidation has happened

By 'no oxidation' do you mean 'its not green'? Oxidation only makes the copper slightly more brown. No you probably won't notice it, but it is robbing you of the extra .1 or .2 volts that coated cables allow you to keep. I'm all about end results.

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:04 PM
I know air can fit in between the strands but whens properly sealed on both ends you can keep it to a minimum. I guess Id have to see it to believe it.

And theres way to fit huge wire into little terminals. Wrap a piece of solder around the end. Start to slip the terminal over and take the piece off. Bam all threads in.

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:06 PM
Or just cut 10mm of insulation off the end with a clean, sharp blade. It's really not that hard to not fray your ends.

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:10 PM
bradsk88 wrote:Or just cut 10mm of insulation off the end with a clean, sharp blade. It's really not that hard to not fray your ends.

and having the RIGHT tools makes things amazingly easy. I don't see how someone could possibly complain about having more strands... meh whatever.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Friday, December 10, 2010 6:29 PM
goes in and out of the amp, its gunna get frayed, i dont car ehow good you are, hell even the damn set screw @!#$ up the strands when you tighten it down. welding cable stays together easier.

and i dont lose and voltage from front to back, check it at every show kinda one of those routines you get when you compete

Friday, December 10, 2010 6:34 PM
We're talking about transients here. Whats the resolution of your meter, in Hz?

Friday, December 10, 2010 7:08 PM
all i know is when i checked flexability in the store today i could easily wrap 1/0 around my hand tightly so unless i'm going to be spelling out words with this stuff its way more then flexable enough for a car instal. and how is audio cable "coated" ? are the individual strands coated or is the bundle of strands coated?
and i dont know how much finer of strands i would want to work with.. this stuff is like verry fine metal hair.
Friday, December 10, 2010 8:02 PM
Ive seen people tie knots with welding cable.

Friday, December 10, 2010 9:02 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:
Transporter7220 wrote:A lot of people use it. Its cheaper and has a higher strand count so its more flexible. I have the wire to swap to... I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Really depends what audio wire youre buying into. Compared to some KnuConceptz Kollossus welding wire looks solid.

No doubt, I'm sure there are high quality audio wires out there with equal or greater strand counts, but the welding wire I have has a higher strand count than any wire I've seen in local audio shops.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, December 10, 2010 9:09 PM
Most shops local to me carry crap wire. Thick ass casing with a small copper core. Their 1/0 is closer to 2 gauge.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search