M45 Record's... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
M45 Record's...
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:01 PM
hey guys... wanted to start this thread to see exactly where the M45 stands as far as horsepower and track times go.

now, ive heard over the years some guy from michigan did like 240whp with his. truth to this? anyone know exactly what it did and who it was? track times? what exactly the setup was?

so, as far as i know the records for fastest times is Chris Taetsch (13.79@102.45) for manual and John Miller (13.901@103.53) for auto.

for highest horsepower range i know Clyde Moore did 226whp, Jered Methe did 220whp, and Wade Jarvis did 217whp. (i know you're in there somewhere John Higgins, sorry i didnt remember ) ...AND if i am not mistaken Gary Voyles did something like 270whp with nitrous.

so basically, post up your M45 acomplishments. i am curious to see. pretty much give a brief setup explanation as well as what trans if you could, please.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.

Re: M45 Record's...
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:16 AM
I tuned a local M45 car here back in late may - we hit 209 whp and 198 wtq on a dynapack dyno.

He ran it about 3 weeks ago in street trim (heavy show car) with his chrome 18's and hit a 14.1 @ 99 mph. That's with a 2.3 60'. Yeah I blinked twice, too.

LD9, 10:1 comp ratio, mildly ported head, cams (don't know the specs), GMSC, meth. Getrag trans, poor driver. haha.

To say I'm impressed isn't the word.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:21 AM
lol i wouldnt go so far as to say poor driver, honestly. as you know.. the m45 is a hard mofo to get to hook.. hell even my AUTO blows out the entire first gear and im not even at full potential yet for crist sakes! LOL so for him to pull a 2.3 with all that power from the non lagging blower and on 18's is actually not that bad.

to me it seems as though the m45 is limited to around 200-230whp depending on the dyno and air quality etc. no matter the mods.. as long as its got a good tune its over 200 from what ive seen.

im hoping to be at around 210whp with mine on full potential.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:31 AM
219whp.

2.5 charger pulley, MD pulley overdriven crank pulley, meth, 57mm TB, intake, secret cams, header exhaust, mounts, Fidazana flywheel, FU Tuning "Dirty Tune".

I have sensor went with a 60mm TB (or 62 I forget).

No track times.

I have always said I feel the M45 gets a bad rap because of the owners, until recent times most were on GM reflashes which sucks. Real tuning wakes this thing up. Also I think most people do not spray enough meth.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:35 AM
No really he is a self admitted poor driver. Said he couldn't get it launched for the life of him and was quite angry about it... lol

It was his first time ever taking it up the track.

Hence poor driver.

It's a full show car with molded body kit, back seat replaced by subs, trunk full of audio gear and 18" chrome wheels. It went down the track like that.... which is why I'm so impressed with the time.

And remember that 209 whp was on a dynapack. I've heard mixed reviews about whether they read accurately or read low.

Had he at least switched out the rims for some light DR's I know he could have cut a 2.1 and broken into the 13's, even with all that audio gear.

Oh and I didn't advance the timing much for the meth as he couldn't guarantee he'd always have meth in the tank and I didn't want to risk it so... I'm sure there was still a bit more in there but I left it on the table for safety's sake.

We wanted to break 200 whp - we did. When I started tuning that day it was ONLY making 161 whp @ 5200 rpm. When I was done it hit 209 @ 6200 rpm where it tailed off and wouldn't climb any further. Just goes to show how much the stock GMSC needs a tune.

Oh and I forgot to mention he has the overdrive crank pulley and was hitting 8.3 psi on the runs.

Hopefully that gives you a baseline, buddy. Lemme know if you want the tune - the car drives like stock on 550cc injectors.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:46 PM
Makes me wonder why the m62 numbers are so low on the eco.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:51 PM
^ Because it is a engine made for ECOnomy ?

12xK LD9 Stock.
45K Trans.
GMP LD-9 Supercharger kit (around 30K on that one at the time)
Cooling Mist\My own water injection
GM 2.5 Coil conversion
Trans mounts TTR Upper mount
4-1 header 2.5in Header back exhaust with a Dynomax Superturbo muffler
LG0 flywheel (like two lbs liter, more holes in it)
Spec S-II clutch <JUNK
95-96 Jack shaft (equal length drive shafts)
165(ish) t-stat*
LSJ 34# injectors
RaceTEC overdrive crank pulley with a 2.6" Charger pulley Around 10-12 lbs of boost. 8 Lbs around 3K rpm. (oh it was a great noise.)

Fun car.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:05 PM
holy crap chris that makes me want a tune THAT MUCH MORE. good jesus lord! mine woke my car up like night and day and im basically running the stock flash with the trans tweaked and the knock sensor desensitized a bit.

i literally JUST installed the lsj stage 2 injectors and am in the process of literally changing the injector constant as we speak LOL
it'd sure be cool if i could get some tweaks for performance too... meth kit goes on this weekend. just picked up the bored tb spacer today. i really wanna see over 200 with this thing. i cant even imagine another 60 hp from this thing.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:18 PM
Brad, My buddy for 209 out of his grand am with the m45 on it, it was a 1 bar tune. how are you tuning it?

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:29 PM
was his an auto? hpt.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:38 PM

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:45 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:holy crap chris that makes me want a tune THAT MUCH MORE. good jesus lord! mine woke my car up like night and day and im basically running the stock flash with the trans tweaked and the knock sensor desensitized a bit.

i literally JUST installed the lsj stage 2 injectors and am in the process of literally changing the injector constant as we speak LOL
it'd sure be cool if i could get some tweaks for performance too... meth kit goes on this weekend. just picked up the bored tb spacer today. i really wanna see over 200 with this thing. i cant even imagine another 60 hp from this thing.

Water helped the most for heat.

And we all know that is what makes the power, not going from 93 to 96 octane.

Forgot I also did the old SBC way of quieting the knock sensor.

Books are key here people.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:45 PM
i was answering your question as to what i was using to tune with LOL and you said it like i shouldnt have any trouble getting over 200. but i have an auto so its gonna be a bitch lol

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:46 PM
are u tuning 1 bar though, or 2 bar or whatever comes with the kit?

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:55 PM
Can the converter be force locked in third at 3500 rpm?

Us LS types can (though Ill stick with a T-56)

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:56 PM
ive got the actual gmpp kit 2 bar map.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:01 PM
ok...thats cool. he was tuned 1 bar so i dunno what difference that makes.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:01 PM
quite a bit for drivability. i just upped the pressure on my old setup with the 310cc injectors and it ran like ass til WOT then it hit hard but still...

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:29 PM
Also can make pistons with moon roofs.*

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:09 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:219whp.

2.5 charger pulley, MD pulley overdriven crank pulley, meth, 57mm TB, intake, secret cams, header exhaust, mounts, Fidazana flywheel, FU Tuning "Dirty Tune".

Is this after the charger came back from Steigemeier last year? I know you were planning to hit up EFI but I can't remember if you told me the numbers if/when you did.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:14 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:Can the converter be force locked in third at 3500 rpm?

Us LS types can (though Ill stick with a T-56)

Chris

Yes you can, with HPTuners, but the cobalt guys were killing their 4T45E locking up in third. The Converter and parts of the trans started eating themselves. The 4T40E and 4T45E are almost the same trans.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:45 AM
thats ok mike. im not afraid to nuke a trans, lets do this.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:28 AM
Honestly if I was you Brad I would take the smoothed trans tuning and leave it for now, without getting too aggressive. You may end up hurting the trans and losing power while trying to tune more in through the engine... which is counter productive.

Since you have it smoothed out and running nicely - leave it. Try to tune all the power out of the engine first, then turn to the trans and try to milk it 'til it pops.

Timing with the GMSC kit helps, esp if you switch up the cams in the engine.... but I've found tuning out the retarded richness that the stock GMSC flash comes with nets you a TON of power. We jumped from 161 whp to 189 whp just with me taking out all the fuel in the bottom end.... I am yet to NOT see a GMSC car run leaner than 10:1 ish stock under PE conditions. GM really killed the potential of the blower with their extremely poor tune.

Next time I'm on my laptop I'll try to remember to mail it your way so you can get a look.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:13 AM
well good just so happens i have straight LO cams in mine.

hell it made 154whp / 175wtq n/a for crist sakes its a torque MONSTER. haha

Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:08 PM
muffin wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:219whp.

Is this after the charger came back from Steigemeier last year? I know you were planning to hit up EFI but I can't remember if you told me the numbers if/when you did.

I never went back, still meaning to.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search