2.4 twin-cam or ecotech better for turbo? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 twin-cam or ecotech better for turbo?
Monday, January 20, 2014 4:37 PM
just wondering what everyones thought was. i have a 2.4 right now but some ppl are saying to swap in an ecotech if im gonna go turbo.

Re: 2.4 twin-cam or ecotech better for turbo?
Monday, January 20, 2014 4:53 PM
Either motor is capable of big power with a turbo... If you have a 2.4 and it's in good shape, there is no reason to swap to the Eco. There are plenty of parts available to build a stout 2.4.

Monday, January 20, 2014 6:03 PM
Well they both have been proven to make big power turbo, I personally would do an ecotec swap on my car if I ever went with any FI. The swap is fairly easy on a 2000+ car, but seeing that you have a 96, Id either build your 2.4 or sell it and buy a newer cavalier with an ecotec. you may want to read through this and it might help you make up your mind...95-99 eco swap ......... 00-02 eco swap
I like the ecotec because it is a newer motor, has lots of aftermarket (2.4 does too but will continue to have less and less) dont need to do 2.3 oil pump mod. Some will like the 2.4 cause you can do lots of cheap mods with used/junkyard parts, 2.3 oil pump, secret cams, intakes, IDI covers, etc.....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:13 AM
Its easier to get the parts for an eco but I love my 2.4 even with the extra machining of things like oil pump swap and camshafts.. In the end youll spend about the same amount of money either way and both can handle a ton of power when built right. I would say if you have one its not worth it to swap to the other, but I probably would just ditch the eco based on all the 2.4/2.3 parts I have haha.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:13 AM
what are some good sources for 2.4 parts?

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:38 PM
How much power are you looking to get?

Here, Ebay, the facebook groups, quad4forums are great places for the parts needed from a 2.3 to make the 2.4 better for the higher power setups. Such as cams and oil pump swap parts which are needed if you want serious power and higher rpms. Any decent power making cams are either going to have to be reground or used and modded for the power steering 2.3 cams. There are tons of places to buy pistons and rods, Eagle rods and Wiseco pistons are the usual go to's around here for the 2.4.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:07 AM
I like the LD9 better.

The tuning is a hell of a lot easier on a 00-02 LD9 than a 03-05 ecotec.
Since the GM reflash for the LD9 can be modified, and it reads boost nativity.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:56 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I like the LD9 better.

Just wondering, does the 03-05 not have a gm reflash too? thought GM made a s/c kit for the eco, never heard anyone talk about tuning though, figured it was no different than the 00-02 LD9.... if anything I would assume easier, but I've never had to tune either so not sure.
Also, benefits of tuning a 00-02 LD9 doesn't help the OP, he has a 96, not 100% sure but he would probably have to do a ton of wiring and run a newer pcm?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:18 AM
Wouldn't I just have to change my CPU and engine harness? I have a 98 CPU and harness which from what I understand will work so long as the 98 car it came from did not have a digital odometer. Am I correct in that?

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:30 AM
difference between 97-99 and 00-02 pcm?
turboing my 96 z24

As far as I know, you need a 97-98 PCM and harness to be able to tune with hp tuners, some guys just like the 00-02 because you can run the s/c tune as a starting point/baseline, then tune from there.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:49 AM
Rick wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I like the LD9 better.

Just wondering, does the 03-05 not have a gm reflash too? thought GM made a s/c kit for the eco, never heard anyone talk about tuning though, figured it was no different than the 00-02 LD9.... if anything I would assume easier, but I've never had to tune either so not sure.
Also, benefits of tuning a 00-02 LD9 doesn't help the OP, he has a 96, not 100% sure but he would probably have to do a ton of wiring and run a newer pcm?

the 03-05 supercharger reflash is locked.....and can not be changed or adjusted.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:01 PM
LSx swap.

/thread

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:29 PM
Neither motor likes boost.

not worth boosted a jbody.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:16 PM
v6 swap then boost it.
Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:43 AM
4 bangers and v6s.... real men drive V8s..... LS4!!!

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:27 AM
just ecotec swap it. i am so sick and tired of people asking what motor they should go with. you going ecotec means more LD9 parts for us purist's. in the end its only going to be a handful of people running quads/LD9s and those people will enjoy more pride because they stuck with the one that truly took the inginuity and heart to make it go. ill enjoy my american engine. so yes, go with the saab.

and on another note... this myth about the ecotec's getting more aftermarket.... which ones exactly? the brand new ones? because im pretty sure the j-body L61 has been kicked to the curb a lot now, too.. same as the LD9.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:29 AM

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:57 AM
On his car since he has a 96, Id say build the LD9, I thinks its too much work for the small benefit but for a 00-02, I would vote eco swap. I didn't say they had WAY better aftermarket or anything, they are both a dying breed. but the LD9 will loss more aftermarket first. It already is, I just went on Turbotechracing just to see if there is a comparison. I don't say a pacesetter header for the LD9s anymore? With the LD9 platform, you are having to buy more used parts and custom made parts. They will slowing die off for aftermarket and the L61 will be behind it. I am sure some stuff will be available for awhile but slowly less and less. With the eco, there is also alot of hybird options, not sure what all are compatible, but just for example, running a lsj head or lsj pacesetter header instead of l61 header if you are going s/c. All the s/c parts from the cobalt, the TVS s/c. Saab turbo parts, not sure if any lnf turbo stuff works for the l61 but you get my point? There is more options/support for the eco and will continue to be less and less for the ld9.

Sunday, February 02, 2014 10:27 PM
Honestly I do wanna keep the ld9. I was just wondering everyone's opinion. People keep telling me to cobalt ecotech swap it. But after some consideration I'm gonna keep my ld9. I can buy a second ld9 of a guy for $100 just to build so my car won't be ns while the build is happening.

So next question, where are some good places to get aftermarket parts for it.
I have been looking around and found jbodyperformance.com and some others, I have been bookmarking pages as I find them. But anyone know of any good places?

Thx again everyone

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:41 PM
Rick wrote:4 bangers and v6s.... real men drive V8s..... LS4!!!

Real men drive RWD though...

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search