OBX LSD How To - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OBX LSD How To
Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:59 PM
Here are the steps I followed when I installed the OBX LSD on my brothers car.

Here is the link I used when putting the LSD together. LINK

Right out of the box

Here are a few things you need to do.

1 - Take it apart. They didn't use lock tite, the preload washers aren't intstalled correctly, the gears that hold the axles need to be beveled so you can remove the axle with out breaking the clip, and one of the surfaces for the bearings needs to be machined down so the carrier bearings don't bind once installed

2 – Axle gears that need to be beveled. The edge in the middle of the gear comes flat and once you install an axle the flat edge wont allow you to remove the axle with out destroying the axle clip. I did this with a die grinder.

3 - Get this surface machined down .004” This is needed so the proper shims can be used when assembling the transmission.

Some tips for assembly

If we hold the two axle gears in their proper orientation with the chamfered edge facing out and the notched edge facing in, there are two possible configurations – one where the bevel gears point away from you and one where they point toward you.

If we play the part of the center differential for a second - (pretend you are back in the drivers seat, differential ring gear is on the left side of the housing and forward means the diff rotates out away from you over the top and toward you on the bottom) - holding everything in the proper orientation and imagine turning the gears (hence the axles) forward when engine power is applied, the ‘arrow pointing away’ configuration will thrust the gear outward against the LSD housing when torque is applied (this is good). The ‘arrow pointing toward’ configuration will thrust the gears toward the center of the differential – heavily loading and possibly crushing the small Belleville washer housing (this is bad!) Furthermore, every time you let off the gas, there will be a clunking sound as the gears spring back into place. The axle gears have to be installed in the “arrow pointing away” configuration.

This is really important. These gears can easily be installed wrong and will lead to a quick death of your LSD.

Assembly (Note: Pictures aren't from a f23 diff)

Set the non ring gear side of the LSD facing up.

Clean, lube and drop in the first axle gear (make sure to note the orientation of the chamfer- facing down, and the helix of the gear – slanting to the right at the top)

Clean, lube and set in 5 helical planet gears with the small dimple end up. (One set of 5 will drop right in, the other set of 5 will have an opposite twist on the helix and are used for the other axle gear.)

Lube the star shaped Belleville washer collar and drop that in, either side up is fine.

Lube a washer retainer and drop that in with the thick edge down.

Lube and drop in a stack of 6 washers in the )()()( configuration, line up the holes as much as possible. Drop in an appropriate sized drill bit if you wish.

Lube another washer retainer and drop that in, thick edge up (this should form a pocket with the washers inside.

Lube and drop in 5 more helical planet gears, this time with the small dimple end down

Lube and drop in the final axle gear again paying attention to the chamfer which should be ‘up’ this time.

Lube and drop on the upper housing with the ring gear attachment. The upper housing can only go on one way. As you can see in the picture below there is a pin that needs to go in between both housings. Once you have the housings lined up you can torque everything down.

I torqued the bolts down to 40 ft. lbs.

For the carrier bearings I went with ones right form the dealership. You can also get the from your local parts store (much cheaper).

I had my transmission shop assemble the ring gear and press on the bearing with the correct shims. On the ring gear side they used the stock shims and no shims on the other side. I would highly suggest letting a shop assemble the transmission just to be sure the clearances are correct.

Here it is all assembled ready for some 500 hp dyno passes and some track abuse!

This was thrown together pretty qiuck. Let me know if you have any questions. Once I get to installing one in my cobalt I will re-do the how to with actual pictures from a F23 unit!

Re: OBX LSD How To
Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:59 AM
Thanks for the right up.

Someone needs to make this a sticky

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:59 AM
^^ agreed.

very nice man. sucks all this needs to be done but.. price we gotta pay for a cheap, actual LSD option that does the job the RIGHT way.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:15 PM
can't wait till u do 1 for the F23 setup, nice work, I can definatly appreciate when people take the time to do @!#$ right, once again very nice!!

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:07 PM
This was for the F23. I was talking about using pictures from an actual F23 diff. (Even though these have the same layout and assemble the same)

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:21 PM
do me next i mean.... mine, do mine next!

Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:00 PM
Very nice write-up. Thanks.
Monday, August 15, 2011 12:32 PM
Subbing for the future.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, August 15, 2011 6:10 PM
Neat! Too bad I have an auto...

Sunday, August 28, 2011 5:37 PM
Awesome! I was wondering what was need to prep one, wanna do a step by step for installing it too? Haha thanks for the info

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:17 PM
I want one! Anyone willing to do all this and sell me a complete and corrected OBX LSD to me?

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:09 PM
I could do them. But the only way to insure everything is good to go is have the whole trans...

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:38 PM
Hum, you can't just rebuild the diff? I am going to have a shop install it, I have just had bad experiences going to shops and asking them to do stuff when my reference is an "online forum". But if I bring a completed diff I figure they can't give me any grief. I guess I could always ask around, should a competent trans shop be able to rebuild it correctly?

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:08 AM
Cool! I was about to email you on the how to for this

GMR has got nothing on this
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:27 AM
Stupid noob quest but I gotta ask before I buy. All the LSDs for the f23 fit the getrag from 00+ right?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:36 PM
DSMskyline wrote:Stupid noob quest but I gotta ask before I buy. All the LSDs for the f23 fit the getrag from 00+ right?

yep

Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:52 PM
So just got another diff

I will modify the how to with actual pics from an f23. I am going to also include how to tear down the f23.

Stay tuned!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:54 PM
Sweet @!#$ dude.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:35 PM
jmarks82 wrote:So just got another diff

I will modify the how to with actual pics from an f23. I am going to also include how to tear down the f23.

Stay tuned!

I look forward to seeing the write up

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:13 PM
skeet?

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:17 PM
How is this coming along?

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 3:45 AM
Got a LSD done and got all of the pictures I need. I will work on throwing the new pictures in

Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:19 PM
Cool beans

Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:53 PM
Where did you purchase the OBX LSD from? Wasn't there places years ago who had them mixed up and everyone was getting F35 LSDs instead of the F23s? I'm considering entertaining this LSD myself but I don't want to go through the hassle of getting the F35 as many did before when ordering the F23 differential.

Thanks

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:51 AM
Get it from tuning depot on ebay

Link

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search