Short shifter!!! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Short shifter!!!
Friday, June 07, 2013 9:23 AM
Hey everyone, im new to the cavalier world. just picked up my first, ive owned lots of other cars tho lol. i keep looking for a short shifter, but they dont list any for 95-99 2.2ohv cars. my car is a 97 2.2ohv. my question is i know that alot of thirdgen parts are interchangeable. would a short shifter from a 00-05 car work in mine easy? sorry ive searched and looked around tons and cant find any good info. Any help would be awesome thanks.

Re: Short shifter!!!
Friday, June 07, 2013 10:40 AM
No, they changed shifters in 2000.

Friday, June 07, 2013 12:04 PM
So then where do i get one for my car? has to be available somewhere??
Monday, June 10, 2013 4:00 AM
Philly D wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACING-SHORT-SHIFTER-CHEVY-CAVALIER-PONTIAC-SUNFIRE-95-96-97-98-99-/230994774570?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c85c8a2a&vxp=mtr

The B&M is discontinued so this is now your only option.

Thanks thats what i was afraid of. But guess i can give it a shot. ive had ok luck with ebay stuff, just really wanted a better made piece. but we will see i guess. thanks.
Monday, June 10, 2013 7:12 AM
FIts Cavaliers for the next 18,000 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 10, 2013 7:13 AM
Attachments
ShifterWTF.png (11k)

Monday, June 10, 2013 9:01 AM
What about the Ralco shifters?

People switched to that when B&M stopped production - do they not make a shifter now either?

If you are patient lots of people sell their B&M units used...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 5:37 PM
Just bought a Ralco last week 6-2-13 for a 05 off amazon. $56 with shipping. B&M dosen't make them anymore. 95-99 is one type 00-05 is a different design. Easy install and I think it works great.
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:07 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:What about the Ralco shifters?

People switched to that when B&M stopped production - do they not make a shifter now either?

If you are patient lots of people sell their B&M units used...

-Chris-

Ralco doesnt make one for the 95-99 models afaik.

The one I posted is the only ones out there.
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:18 AM
Ralco part number 914849! its listed on ebay right now and its for 95-99 cavaliers. Price is $109. Mine for the 05 was only $56 but there looks to be more peices to the 95-99 kit.
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:23 AM
The shifter PillyD listed is a Ralco shifter.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:06 AM
I think the ebay one is either a Ralco or a Ralco knock-off.

The Ralco was a direct knock off of the B&M.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:36 PM
^^My bad.....they must have started making them when B&M stopped.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:03 PM
Just out of curiosity (since 2nd gens had a similar shifter change), is the bolt pattern on the floor of the car the same? Or the cable ends are different? Or what? I would think that if the cable ends are the same, and the bolt pattern is the same, you could interchange between the two, or if at least the bolt pattern was the same, you could swap shift cables. 2nd gens can do that, and use any shifter from 88-94.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:10 PM
James, they might have to swap the cables and shifter along with the Trans bracket. 2000 cavaliers got a plastic shifter and weird cables. Now instead of cables going bad the shifter goes bad due to the plastic ball and socket. I was looking at short shifter but I do not know if that will fix my problem. I have about 2inches of play in every direction and it's due to the warn shifter. I checked my cables.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:20 PM
So that would open up all the options. All 3rd gens can use any 95-05 shifter, you would just need to switch shifter, cables, and bracket. Pretty straightforward.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:41 PM
I'm not 100% sure as I never tried it. Just going by memory from what I saw at the junkyard. I took apart a pre 2000 hoping to take the shifter and cables to realize they were different.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:47 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=53122&t=53122

There some info on swapping. Still didn't say anything about the shifter so they must share the same bolt pattern.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:02 AM
The linkage is reversed between the 95-99 and 00+

In other words, if you could hook it up, your shifting pattern would be backwards and upside down.

Monday, June 24, 2013 6:00 AM
I'm lost on that one. The shift pattern is determined by the transmission, so how would changing the actual shifter or cables change it?

Friday, July 05, 2013 3:20 PM
It changes based on how the shift linkages move in/on the trans. Therefore the shifters work backwards. The ralco kit is the exact same as the b&m kit. IIRC ralco bought the b&m design when they stopped production. Not %100 sure on that though.

Have a nice day.

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:44 AM
I guess I'll have to take a peek at some next time I visit the yard.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:52 AM
As a point of consideration, the 95-99 cars used an Isuzu trans, 2000-05 used a Getrag. So simply swapping the entire shifter box and cables might not work. There could be some fabrication involved. But having not messed with the Isuzu setup in a long time, I can't say for certain what would be required to fabricate or modify to swap shifters and cables.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search