17's or 18's - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
17's or 18's
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:18 PM
I'm looking into buying a wheel and tire package soon and I want to know what rim/tire size is best to get... I want to fill in the gap between the fenders some because I haven't dropped it yet. I was thinking about 18's with 225's on them. What do you guys think would be the best size for tires and rims? Thanks

- Jason

Cavalier Z24

Re: 17's or 18's
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:45 PM
well first drop it... drop comes before rims.

secondly, rim size depends on whats best for you... what you think looks best, fuel economy, ride comfortability,etc.

Traivs

Check out my build thread!

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 4:06 PM
why should i drop it first?

Cavalier Z24
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 4:54 PM
wheel gap will be huge with low profile tires. i just dropped mine. i was so sick of it sitting about 3.5 inches over my 215/45/17s. i would say lower it first speaking from experience. it makes a huge difference in the looks department.
Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:51 AM
Well I was thinking about getting 225/45/18's - do you think that would help decrease the gap?

Cavalier Z24
Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:52 AM
if you dont lower it first then no. it will look raised. lower than put on rims

Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:02 PM
Shore wrote:Well I was thinking about getting 225/45/18's - do you think that would help decrease the gap?

It will decrease the gap slightly, but your car will sit higher, this size tire has a larger diameter. It will also throw off you speedometer and the anti-lock braking system. The car will think it's going slower than it really is,causing braking problems and you'll be going faster than what the speedometer is showing.

Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:04 PM
I'm thinking of gettin 17" for my car, and I think it will look good. Just remember to get a Hypertech or something to recalibrate everything. I saw a Cav w. 20s and it looked stupid, plus it was rubbing....just some info.

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Friday, July 01, 2005 7:51 AM
Sam wrote:I'm thinking of gettin 17" for my car, and I think it will look good. Just remember to get a Hypertech or something to recalibrate everything. I saw a Cav w. 20s and it looked stupid, plus it was rubbing....just some info.

Sam

no get the correct tire size

Friday, July 01, 2005 4:48 PM
i say just wait ...use the money you have to purchase wheels and get a nice suspension setup........trust me the look it will give you ..............you'll be very satisfied

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Saturday, July 02, 2005 3:06 PM
Sam wrote:I'm thinking of gettin 17" for my car, and I think it will look good. Just remember to get a Hypertech or something to recalibrate everything. I saw a Cav w. 20s and it looked stupid, plus it was rubbing....just some info.

Sam

No one makes a programmer for the Cavi's. There's no way to recalibrate the PCM, except for GM and they only carry the stock software, except for the Ecotec/GM supercharger software.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search