Quick ?? 4 or 5 point seat harness street legal in Texas? - Page 2 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Quick ?? 4 or 5 point seat harness street legal in Texas?
Friday, October 13, 2006 6:02 PM
How can mounting harnesses to the floor anchors be safe? I remember reading that in a roll over or crash, the harnesses have to be mounted to a cage, or under the rear set/rear of the car for proper impact safety. I remember reading that is can compact your spine very badly if its mounted to the floor due to the way it'd be angled and what not. Anyone know about that?

Nice to see ya back Section8Cav by the way

Friday, October 13, 2006 7:22 PM
the front mounts would be mounted to the floor, its where your seatbelts are bolted in now in stock form.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, October 13, 2006 7:23 PM
The two side straps can be attached to the floor, the shoulder straps need to be mounted to a cage or correctly positioned harness bar.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, October 13, 2006 7:36 PM
sndsgood wrote:
545.412 (abridged by me)
(3) "Safety belt" means a lap belt and any shoulder
straps included as original equipment on or added to a vehicle.

I bolded the gray area... the way that it reads, it is either/or... either OEM or aftermarket

Sunday, October 15, 2006 8:13 AM
well how its written it means original equipment added to a vehicle. how it is written it can be interpeted two ways and the judge will have final say of how he interperts it. it mentions original eqipment only and makes no refrece whatsoever to aftermarket.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, October 15, 2006 2:31 PM
^^Good point... I read that statute again and going by what you said it makes sense that way.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 9:43 PM
FYI...and this is from my law teacher who is a judge...

If something is not EXPRESSEDLY ALLOWED in a law or statute, a judge will probably rule that it is ILLEGAL. This can be changed by a good amount of reasoning to the judge, but that's hard to do.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:39 AM
Kardain wrote:^^Good point... I read that statute again and going by what you said it makes sense that way.

my work has a rule book and everything is written like that. so we always get into a debate on what the "intention" of the author was and weather we have a gray area or not to work with lol

Wednesday, November 10, 2021 10:24 AM
From what I found in the Texas DOT code, it doesn't say tgey are legal or illegal

Seat belt safety guidelines

Texas requires drivers and all passengers to wear seat belts.
Ensure seatbelt fits snugly across the hips, not over the stomach.
Ensure shoulder belt goes over the shoulder and across the center of the chest.
Never tuck the shoulder belt underneath your arm or behind your back.
Learn more about Texas seat belt laws.

Here's the actual law:

Sec. 545.412. CHILD PASSENGER SAFETY SEAT SYSTEMS; OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates a passenger vehicle, transports a child who is younger than eight years of age, unless the child is taller than four feet, nine inches, and does not keep the child secured during the operation of the vehicle in a child passenger safety seat system according to the instructions of the manufacturer of the safety seat system.

(b) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $25 and not more than $250.

(b-1) Repealed by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., 1st C.S., Ch. 4, Sec. 69.01(1), eff. September 28, 2011.

(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person was operating the vehicle in an emergency or for a law enforcement purpose.

(d) Repealed by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 204, Sec. 8.01.

(e) This section does not apply to a person:

(1) operating a vehicle transporting passengers for hire, excluding third-party transport service providers when transporting clients pursuant to a contract to provide nonemergency Medicaid transportation; or

(2) transporting a child in a vehicle in which all seating positions equipped with child passenger safety seat systems or safety belts are occupied.

(f) In this section:

(1) "Child passenger safety seat system" means an infant or child passenger restraint system that meets the federal standards for crash-tested restraint systems as set by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

(2) "Passenger vehicle" means a passenger car, light truck, sport utility vehicle, passenger van designed to transport 15 or fewer passengers, including the driver, truck, or truck tractor.

(3) "Safety belt" means a lap belt and any shoulder straps included as original equipment on or added to a vehicle.

(4) "Secured," in connection with use of a safety belt, means using the lap belt and any shoulder straps according to the instructions of:

(A) the manufacturer of the vehicle, if the safety belt is original equipment; or

(B) the manufacturer of the safety belt, if the safety belt has been added to the vehicle.

Text of subsection effective until June 01, 2023
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search