Fiberglass top of dash? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fiberglass top of dash?
Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:44 PM
Hey guys im going to be starting the top part of the dash the big part. Anyway how do i keep it in the correct shape, meaning i dont want to glass it and have it not formed right.

Only way i can see is glass it a bit in the car for it to keep its shape?
thanx

Re: Fiberglass top of dash?
Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:04 PM
I've thought long and hard on this one, and the only solution I came up with was to remove the dash from the car (entire dash, either remove or get another one), and glass on top of it.

Other people have done it though, and there's got to be a better way.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:05 PM
Ive also thought about that way which i DONT want to do.
anyone else?

Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:02 PM
Heres a pic of mine.....i just finished it last week.....all i did was strip the vinyl and lay some glass down but make sure you brush it even and use alot of matting so it holds together. If you need some help or questions answered email me at yos4148@cup.edu.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:31 PM
do you think it's best to also glass the back other side of the dash?
Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:18 PM
I drilled a bunch of little holes in the dash then glassed it and then glassed the underside so it like sandwiched it together.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:33 PM
i also pulled my dash, haven't glassed it yet though, still deciding if i should glass it smooth, or glass it and put material over it so that it's nice and sexy
.... *shrugg*

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." "for those ten seconds or less I'm free"
Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:12 PM
the easiest way would be to wipe the dash down with degreaser.. scuff it up with a red scuff pad and then lay some primer surfacer down on it.. (with flex additiave added..) prime and block 3 times and its good to go.
Monday, March 07, 2005 5:19 AM
I allready took off the vynal pad just want to know how to keep its shape when i start the glass. Cant just lay it flat or anything.

Monday, March 07, 2005 11:11 AM
Yea but if your gonna rip the vinyl off and scuff it up and primer and sand you have to to into account the thickness of the vinyl....your gonna have a gap everywhere around the dash. If you wanna keep the shape wit the glass just make sure you brush the resin as evenly as you can....thats all there is to it really.

Monday, March 07, 2005 12:30 PM
Ok maybe you guys aint getting what im saying? You know how flimsy the top piece is? Well when i put it on the table to start glassin it is bends, i dont want to glass it and it will be bent and not the right form? Get it?

Monday, March 07, 2005 1:30 PM
After you glass it it will still be a lil flimsy. I set mine up so it was elevated and it still kept its form so i wouldnt worry bout it.

Monday, March 07, 2005 1:55 PM
Blue splash-thanx that is what i was looking for, you have MSN messenger at all?
thanx

Monday, March 07, 2005 3:04 PM
i personally would pull the top of the dash, laydown a piece of plastic over the dash in the car, tape the window up, put the dash top back in, put a few bolts in it, and fiberglass it. fiberglass shrinks, cheap fiberglass will shrink more then the quality stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, March 07, 2005 3:29 PM
No sorry i just have AIM...email me at yos4148@cup.edu if you have any questions

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:32 PM
I've got mine in the works now...I'll take some pics. I took out the dashpad, stripped all the vinyl off, scuffed it up with a die grinder a bit, then drilled alot of 1/8" holes.

I then put the whole thing BACK into the car, after laying down a huge plastic drop sheet. I bolted the dashpad backinto place and continued.

I then took the looser high strength fiberglass mat and am making some light layers of it while its in the car.

Yeah, it smells a little strong while in the process, but in the end I'll have a perfectly straight pad that will be hella strong. for the futre mods.

My Car Domain
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:29 AM
^That was my plan.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:10 AM
If you're really concerned about keeping your dash straight, and keeping your car clean, take out the entire dash assembly and put it together outside of the car. Then have your way with the fiberglass. Just be sure to use some latex for protection.

On your hands. Perverts.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:34 PM
well, i'm redoing my 89 dash, nothing flimsy about that hefty piece, so can't help you there, other than to say try duct taping it from underside (a few layers crosshatched) to keep the shape, other than that dunno what to tell ya...

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." "for those ten seconds or less I'm free"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search