04 Gauge install question - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 Gauge install question
Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:29 AM
I've searched and haven't found an exact answer:

On a 04 cluster, when you move all the needles to the 12 oclock position to slip the gauge face over, do you have to move the needles back to where they originally were or do they automatically readjust themselves?

Also, does the stock face slide off or do you install the new face overtop of it? I've seen people say both things.

I just want to get this right the first time and be sure that my gauges don't get wacked out.

Thanks guys

Re: 04 Gauge install question
Wednesday, January 26, 2005 12:17 PM
The needles will adjust themselves. The old face does not come off, unless you cut it off...

<br>

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 2:27 PM
Hey caines.. where are you getting gauge overlays for an 03+ Cavy? Link please? =D <br>

My Car Domain Page

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 2:35 PM
http://www.blackcatcustom.com has them (might be blackcatcustoms if you get a wierd link)...

<br>

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 5:16 PM
ebay has them too <br>

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Wednesday, January 26, 2005 6:31 PM
MSD wrote:Hey caines.. where are you getting gauge overlays for an 03+ Cavy? Link please? =D

Got mine on ebay. Some sellers just label them as 00-02 or something, but they work for 03-05 too, as far as I know. They look exactly the same. =) If not, well, then I guess I'll find out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7948740434&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6
Wednesday, January 26, 2005 6:40 PM
They are the same, from 00 to 05

<br>

Thursday, January 27, 2005 2:51 PM
How the hell do I see whats available on blackcatcustoms.com? It says "see our product listing", but theres no link to that ANYwhere on the site =( <br>

My Car Domain Page

Thursday, January 27, 2005 2:53 PM
for all of you who may not know, the after market gauges for the 02 will also fit the 03 and 04 <br>

Customize or $$$COSTomize$$$
Thursday, January 27, 2005 5:42 PM
MSD wrote:How the hell do I see whats available on blackcatcustoms.com? It says "see our product listing", but theres no link to that ANYwhere on the site =(

Blackcat's site is some serious crap.. I couldn't find anything either. I want their hvac/fog panels and it's like nonexistant on the site. Only place that has them is highrev and they want like 30 for S&H for little plastic rectangles... no thanks =)
Thursday, January 27, 2005 5:52 PM
^ Doesn't mean he doesn't sell them, I know for a fact he does. Email him and ask.

<br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 11:40 AM
So what? Do I just email him and go "I'd like to see a sample of every gauge face you have for a 2003 Cavalier please"

I like how the site mentions having thumbnailed pictures of all gauges in their catalogue.. and then you can't even find the catalogue. <br>

My Car Domain Page

Friday, January 28, 2005 12:15 PM
MSD: I'd have to recommend buying them on ebay. MakotoAutoTrends is who I bought mine from, nice face and seller. The guy has a website too.

http://www.makotoautotrends.com/
Friday, February 04, 2005 2:53 PM
Quote:

The needles will adjust themselves.

will that apply to a 98 cav too?

Thursday, April 21, 2005 1:34 PM
ok i read somewhere that you take the needles off with a flathead screwdriver then take off the old gauge face and then put the new one on, will they still reajust or is that not even needed

Thursday, April 21, 2005 1:51 PM
DeeJay: Nope, if you take the needles off a 2000+ cluster, nine times out of ten the needles will not go back on. Unless you're talking about a pre-00 then I dont know.

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Thursday, April 21, 2005 7:15 PM
I got my 03 gages from e-bay and you can see what they look like on my cardomain page

__________________--------------------------____________________
Team: NONE RIGHT NOW
Sponsored By: Pro Trucks
Work Being Done By: creative customs
Stuff for Sell:

Thursday, April 21, 2005 7:25 PM
DeeJay24 wrote:ok i read somewhere that you take the needles off with a flathead screwdriver then take off the old gauge face and then put the new one on, will they still reajust or is that not even needed

On the 2000+'s, if you remove the needles, you will almost certainly destroy the cluster.

On the 99-'s, you can remove the needles using a fork. Just slide the fork under the needle and tilt up gently. It takes a LOT of work to put the needles back on, since the 99-'s won't self adjust the needles, so if you get them on in the wrong position, they will be off. For the fuel, easiest way to do it, is to fill up the gas tank before hand, the temp, speedo, and tach are a different story, and require some creative driving, pulling over, and adjusting. On my 98 I actually had somebody pace in front of me so I could put the needle on at 25mph, then before I did the face I wrote down what my RPM's were at 25mph in 3rd gear, and set that needle.

Thursday, April 21, 2005 7:26 PM
ahfunaki wrote:will that apply to a 98 cav too?

Doesn't need to. Start your car and get it to operating temperature, then just remove the needles when you remove the cluster from the car. Do your work, reinstall the cluster, start the car, get it to operating temp, and put the needles back on at their appropriate positions.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search