2000 z24 Dashboard Cluster - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 z24 Dashboard Cluster
Sunday, March 27, 2005 7:17 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 Z24 with about 80,000 miles on it. I believe that the dashboard cluster is going bad. The first thing that happened is the odometer stopped working correctly. The miles will flicker and the numbers will fade in and out, or will be garbled.

This weekend, my left turn signal starting blinking fast (indicating a burned out bulb), but then would return to normal. The bulb still flashes when I put the hazards on and now the signal is working normally.

Today, I beleive I ran out of gas, despite the fuel gauge saying that I had around an eigth of a tank left. The "Check Gauges" light never came on either. My dad and I went and filled it with a gas can. It then started and drove normally. When I got to the gas station, I was able to get 13.4 gallons in on the 14.3 gallon tank. The car is running normal now.

I also talked to the dealer about the odometer problem, and they told me that the cluster was probably going bad and it would cost somewhere around 500 bucks to fix.

I am wondering a few things. First, do you think that the dash cluster is going bad? Second, do you think that I simply ran out of gas today, or am I looking at a bigger problem with the fuel pump or injectors? Lastly, I figure if I do need to get the dash cluster replaced, that I might as well upgrade to an aftermarket one. Does anyone know of any cool looking aftermarket dash clusters for the 2000 z24?

Thanks

Re: 2000 z24 Dashboard Cluster
Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:08 AM
well first the cluster might be going bad, but im not exactly sure. second i know some 2000+ cavs have a problem with the gas tank level sensor .. making it so you think you have enough gas and then you run out. and last, as far as i know they dont make an aftermarket cluster they just make gauge face layovers. i hope that helped and if you need a new cluster i have one out of my 01 cav. email me if you are interested in it.

-- MyZcar

Sunday, March 27, 2005 11:06 AM
You know, my 05 Cavalier was acting strange. I was at around 240 miles, and it said I was about 3 lines above "E". So I topped the tank off, and when i started driving, the arrow maybe moved up about 2 lines, indicating that I wasn't even at a half a tank. Then when I restarted the car, BAM, gauge shot all the way up to Full. Me thinks these fuel gauges are just weird.
Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:00 PM
My 2000 Z24 has the same problem with the odometer. And now I can't see mine unless you shine a light on it or look really hard because none of the numbers are lit up. I've never had a problem w/my gas gauge, though.

And I've already got another cluster to put in mine, just haven't done it yet. To my knowledge, you can only buy overlays for the gauges, not entire aftermarket clusters. Hope that helped.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:17 PM
There is a problem with the fuel sensor relay on 2000 z24's. If you bring it to a chevy dealer they should fix it for free. I did with mine but they ended up ruining my fuel pump and wouldnt cover that so i got screwed by a so called "expert"

Monday, March 28, 2005 9:20 AM
I have an 01 cavy, and I have changed my cluster 3 times. 2 were cavy cluster (one from Ebay one from a bone yard) and 1 sunfire cluster (got from Ebay).

The Odo light is a common problem. Typically, if you hit the top of the dash above the cluster the Odo light will come back on. it does take a bit of force, so i hope you don't hit like a girl. if it doesn't then the light is burned out.

I also had the same problem with the tank. Gauges said I had just under 1/4 tank, but I ran out of gas. I also have had the gas gauge go from a full tank reading, fall like a rock to about 1/8th of a tank, then inch back up. Originally a bottle of STP fuel injection cleaner & 14 gallons of Chevron gas fixed it, but i ended up having to have the gas float replaced. That was about a $200 job

I don't know what it is, but all 3 Cavy cluster I have had problem with:
Stock: Odo light burned out, temp gauge needle would not light up
Ebay: Odo light flickered (my fault: MPH & Tach broke after 4 months)
Bone yard: Airbag light stayed on & all needle lights burned out after a week.

Sunfire: Not a single problem, been on for 2 weeks.

The clusters i got from Ebay I paid around $50 each 9including shipping) and the bone yard cluster was $45

Saturday, April 09, 2005 12:11 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies... Sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been really busy and frustrated with everything lately.

Autoflow, do you know if this was a service bulletin or anything?
DeadBob, I hit mine hard plenty of times. It usually does the trick until I hit a bump in the road, then I am back to the same problem.

It seems like ever since I got above 75000 miles, stupid crap like this just started happening. Today my trunk assembly broke, and now my trunk won't stay open, CDs are getting stuck in my CD player. Ok, sorry about the rant, I am just really frustrated right now
Saturday, April 09, 2005 7:08 AM
My cluster in my Z24 2001 is doing the same damn thing since it hit 80k. Any help? Everything works fine until it hits a bump in the road.

--
silicon_freak
Saturday, April 09, 2005 11:26 AM
I used to be able to beat my dashboard really hard (and I am a girl...LOL) and the odometer light (and some other lights that light up the tach and speedometer) would come back on. Then all of a sudden, they didn't work again and I'd beat it again...and now, I can beat and beat and beat and it doesn't come back on. Hope this other cluster does the trick. I've got a lot of miles on my car, too.

Saturday, April 09, 2005 11:50 AM
500 to fix a cluster! It only cost like 70 bucks to get a new(used) one from a junkyard. I put in a 00 Sunfire cluster in my Z. 2000 and up is plug and play.

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Saturday, April 09, 2005 10:30 PM
Hi Jonathan,

I have never taken any dash apart. How difficult is it to remove the dash to access the cluster.... more importantly, how difficult is it to put it back together correctly, so nothing rattles. A 2000 Sunfire dash would be cool, because I love the red gauges Pontiac uses.

Thanks

Saturday, April 09, 2005 11:23 PM
Licher: its pretty easy. I learned from my Haynes manual. Anyway, just take off the negative battery terminal, remove the airbag fuse, then you need those little star scewdrivers, theres like 7 or so screws and the whole thing comes off. Just be careful and take your time, its quite simple. I love my sunfire cluser. Heres some pics of the process:

Old:

Without the Dash:

Done:

But yeah, I highly suggest getting the Haynes manual from your local auto shop, it comes in quite handy on most subjects and costs like 15 bucks, maybe less than 10 if you get it off ebay.

...Ah, metaphysics.
Sunday, April 10, 2005 1:00 PM
Had a similar problem with my Cavy Cluster. The odometer would flicker at night. Havn't had a problem with my Sunfire Cluster in over two years.

Now Back from Iraq!
With More Favor and Less Calories

Working on the engine... Soon to be complete.
Wednesday, April 20, 2005 4:03 AM
Since we're still kinda on this subject, i understand all the 00+ are swappable, but i got a question bout the odometers....does the mileage accumulated stay resident in the cluster on the digitals or is that stored in the bcm? ie. i got 42k on mine will that mileage still show the other with who knows what mileage or will the new cluster's mileage show up?

secondly, while im typing, are there any mods you have to do to get the sunfire cluster to fit in a cavy or is it just drop it in, let theftlock do its thing and boom its done? i know 95-99 the connector b/w the 2 were in diff spots from when my dad swapped his....

finally, last one, are the 00+ sunfire clusters the same as the cavy's where if you take them apart they're pretty much done for, ie with the needles,etc (heard of problems with cav clusters)?

Hellraiser and Lil Lightning
Wednesday, April 20, 2005 6:16 AM
00+ Sunfire and Cavalier cluseters are the same size and what not, its just drop in and plug and play and the mileage dosnt change because the cluster dosnt hold the mileage your computer does. And DO NOT TAKE THE NEEDLES OFF A 00+ Cluster, I did that with my old cluster to put the damn rksport white thing on because the holes were to small to slip over the needles. I put the needles back on but they wouldnt go back on all the way. I've heard some people have done this and were successful but most likely its going to come out bad. This is why I swapped the clusters. I like the Sunfire cluster more now anyway and I like how its red at night. Really easy swap.

Heres what they look like:

...Ah, metaphysics.
Thursday, April 21, 2005 4:04 AM
i got another quick question on the subject, a random act of curiosity..... being said 2000+ cavalier and sunfire are plug and play, does anyone think that this would be true for other models provided they fit would it still work in a 00+ jbody?
for example, if the connection on an 00-02 camaro cluster was the same, would it operate correctly in a 00+ jbody provided you want to customize your dash to make it fit?
just a bit of creativity.....hope i didn't cofuze anyone...

Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:21 AM
DeadBob: Do you still have those dead cavi clusters? I'd like to put them to use if you do.

Let me know.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:24 AM
hellraiser: I dont think it would work. I think the computer is only built for the j-body cluster. For example I beleive the f-body clusters include a oil pressure gauge and I dont think the cavy computer has a relay for that in the wiring. Not sure though.

...Ah, metaphysics.
Friday, April 22, 2005 12:43 AM
yeah thats what i was thinkin too...theres the addition of the oil pressure and voltage guages... tach might also be off since those are probly programmed for 6 & 8 cylinders too. unless it just feeds a number into cluster to display already converted for engine specs... i dunno just a thought...

also, i checked it out searchin on ebay, the only ones that would come close to fitting anyway would be a malibu and/or an impala cluster. f-bodys are close, truck ones are huge and stuff like buick is just too plain in my opinion.

anyway, i plan on goin j/y'ing this weekend, maybe ill pull a sunfire and another random gm one for s&g's since its half off on weekends. if so, ill report back...

Friday, April 22, 2005 6:12 PM
Man when I got my cluster the junk yard I went to was all high tech and had parts in a computer, I just told them what I wanted then I came back the next day and they had it ready for me I didnt have to go through a yard or anything. Good luck on your search, look for some secret cams while you're out there.

...Ah, metaphysics.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search