'03 Yellow Belly Turbo Build - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: '03 Yellow Belly Turbo Build
Thursday, August 08, 2013 3:31 AM
Roofy wrote:This might as well be called "The .org's spare and leftover parts build" !!!

I definitely second that one. I can see my wastegate and "standoff" making their way into the build.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:32 AM
Updates sir!!!! Ain't nobody got time for rest!!!!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, August 08, 2013 6:18 AM
Lol he's about to get my 60# injectors and rear strut tower bar. I'll update that for him!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, August 08, 2013 7:23 AM
Awesome progress! That intake manifold is sweet. Also having a yellow car I feel your pain with color schemes under the hood. Like said black is really the only thing that looks good with it. Although, I think the l61 valve cover looks terrible black so I polished it a little and that seems to work pretty well. I need to snap a new picture of what it looks like now so I'll post it here or pm it to you so you can have a look.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, August 08, 2013 7:39 AM
I remember a yellow car on those wheels comedic enough, Arnjolt's old car-

Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:21 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Did you already upgrade fuel pump?

Not yet man. I have no need to get one yet. But when I get one then I'll also get an FPR for the fuel rail with braided lines. I don't have the time with those things yet. The car is in a friends garage and I NEED to get it out ASAP. Dropping the gas tank doesn't require a garage.

Daniel and I were discussing a couple colors. Haven't heard of many color combos from you guys, so our thoughts were...

1 ++Brushed Aluminum Valve Cover, Brushed Intake Mani, Silver Block, Silver Head, Stainless Steel Charge Pipes, Silver Intercooler, Yellow Couplers
or
2 ++Yellow Valve Cover, Black Intake Mani, Black Block, Black Head, Black Charge Pipes, Black Intercooler (with yellow Logo?), Yellow Couplers
or
3 ++Yellow Valve Cover, Black Intake Mani, Silver Block, Silver Head, Black Charge Pipes, Black Intercooler (with yellow Logo?), Yellow Couplers
or
4 ++Gold Valve Cover, Black Intake Mani, Black Block, Black Head, Gold Charge Pipes, Black Intercooler (with Gold Logo?), Black Couplers
or
5 ++NSX Blue Valve Cover, NSX Blue Intake Mani, Silver Block, Silver Head, NSX Blue Charge Pipes, NSX Blue Intercooler, Yellow Couplers

Vote for your favorite color combo scheme.. I think any of these setups will look sick!!

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.
Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:25 PM
When I was deciding on valve cover options I found a few pictures of yellow ones:

I don't really care for either of them there. Obviously one is an lsj but you get the idea. I opted for a polished/brushed look because I couldn't think of anything else that would look decent and go with yellow. The black ones I've seen make the engine bay too dull and lifeless.

Anyway, here is mine. It's DIRTY right now but hopefully it helps:

Definitely interested to see what direction you go and how it turns out!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, August 09, 2013 9:39 AM
Thanks bro for the input and pics. It's great to see someone else's engine compartment colors and such.. to help me get an idea of a clean sexy look.
I myself and me (and Daniel) are leaning towards the Metallic NSX Blue. I think that it'll pop like a '86 Monte on stage 3 Hydraulics!

Friday, August 09, 2013 9:47 AM
No argument there.

My first car was an '86 monte carlo SS

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, August 16, 2013 9:20 AM
I vote number 2. Black everything with a few yellow touches and a yellow valve cover. my engine bay is basically black everything. I like the one in the pic you posted above thats basically the same. Simple, clean and not outrageous.

I really like the LSJ valve cover better than the L61 also.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, August 16, 2013 9:50 AM
Ok guys. I hate not having a garage where I'm at (its in a friends garage 100 miles away). I would be closer to done if it was here, but slowly and surely. I'll be working on it this weekend. Painting, after the cleaning. Since I am getting closer to being completed with the motor, my next step is to find a way to setup my exhaust seeing as this turbo is from a Ford Mustand SVO. I am getting a 3" exhaust from the turbo back.. and.... thinking of a side exit. I'm going to make a plate around the tip attached to the side skirt. I am at work right now getting figures on prices for SS 3" OD 16 ga. and they are better than I thought they would be. 20ft for $7.80/ft!! I'll sell the extra of course, don't need 20ft under my car lol!

The muffler shop guy, Rocky, says that 3" over the rear axle is not doable by his mandrel machine, plus it's a restriction to the airflow. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is what I have been going by on this build. So does anybody have any ideas or pics of how it'll look with the stock LSS side skirts? Rolled tip or just tube tip? Angled or flush with the side skirt? If you have a picture, post it and I'll decide from there. I would like any links that you may know of that would help in finding a sweet look for the side exit.

Friday, August 16, 2013 10:05 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, August 19, 2013 9:08 PM
Update....
Got a lot done by myself this last weekend. I am very pleased with how great things are coming along now. I also have to have this done or at least rolling by Halloween cuz my friend is going to need the garage back for his boat.. It may be driving out of the garage with bare minimum exterior pieces.

This small block has come a long ways...

Self explanatory... ARP Head Studs

Since the EGR (the EcoTec is an EGR-less system) is blocked off and unused.... I just cut it off. And man does it clean up the block!!! Such a clean look now!

Started painting a few pieces while I was putting the head on

I painted the block before I put the head on to make sure it was a color I was looking for. Sure enough, it's gonna look good. So here's a few comparison pics of the head(unpainted) and the front side of the block(painted). Also preparing the entire block for painting.

Doesn't that cut off really clean up the head? It looks pretty natural this way too

What I was doing between coats of painting... cleaning

Since I have the battery in the trunk already, I'm going to grind off the rest when I get a grinder, but I wanted to get rid of as much as I can while I had the engine out to maximize swing capacity lol

All I did for now was cleaned and lightly sanded the valve cover which is next to the painted block

Timing chain and balance shaft chain. Didn't have the time or money for balance shaft delete, or neutral balance shafts.

Pretty much a finished product... for the easy part

And last but definitely not last....

Two steps colder!!

Ok well... there's your bi weekly update guys. I can't wait to get everything in order to fire up this beast!!

Monday, August 19, 2013 9:55 PM
That is coming together nicely.Looks good to me.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:46 AM
Looks great so far! I'm using those plugs on my m62 setup; I have seen the least amount of knock with them in comparison to the 1 step colder.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:31 PM
Dude you might have F-ed your head. The egr is blocked off but still has an open port from the intake to the egr plate and from the exhaust side to the egr plate. You should be fine on the exhaust side since the egr is blocked off as well, but you'll probably have a massive vacuum leak on the intake port now. Double check to make sure. But you'll probably have to have the holes in the head welded shut now.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:18 AM
I'll double check that when I get back to my motor.
I thought I saw on a thread in here about someone else cutting theirs off but I don't know where it is yet. I'm looking for it now.

Here are a couple pics that I have..

This one you can see right through the hole.. this hole doesn't ever touch the intake mani.

I'll look to make sure that there isn't a hole to intake port #4 (pink lines). I'm very certain I did this right... but if I didn't, Daniel already told me he was going to laugh his head off lol

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:52 PM
Ok so I found it...
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=399742&t=398003#399742

Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:49 PM
love to see engine builds. definitely makes me want to get into my garage and wrench a little right now!
nice progress. Im still debating painting my block and components..I like simple machined/polished look. but thought for fun a muscle car theme with the bright orange block, blue head, and black valve cover (already have a spare painted) with my polished (not chrome just brushed) blower.

I need to figure out what to do about the battery too...that was the final issue when removing my engine...though about hacking it off or simply relocating it. we'll see.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:55 PM
Well with the RDFabs intake manifold I'm putting in.. I have to relocate the battery cuz where the LS1 TB is set, I can't even make a 90* turn with a battery there. But now that I'm turbo charging it I can just shoot the cold piping through the hole next to the windshield wiper fluid bottle neck down and to the front mount intercooler. When I clean the trunk out of all the stock motor parts, I'll take a pic of my gerry rigged battery relocation homemade kit. lol it's nothing like you've ever seen before...

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 10:07 AM
Ok so I did a little work this past weekend. I worked on the wiring and I did a little fuel rail work. I put on the Spec lightweight flywheel, Spec Stage 3 6 puck Clutch Kit, 60# Siemens injectors, gauge pod and gauges, wheel bearing, and tie rod end. The bank messed with my account and so I wasn't able to buy the bolt needed to put on my intake manifold and turbo manifold. I only took a couple pics of the gauges, and they are gonna look amazing when I put the dash back on and everything interior wise.

I know my gauges aren't in straight but this was kinda the mockup/finish stage.

Monday, September 09, 2013 10:49 AM
Question... I bought an Innovate Motorsports Wideband LC-1. I bought a green one, cuz I figured that I would be doing green accents. Well.... I ain't doing green accents anymore. Would anyone know if I can IM will trade my gauge for a blue face? I haven't taken the plastic off the face yet.. or does anyone have a blue one they would be willing to trade?

Monday, September 09, 2013 11:16 AM
Man I have been wanting a 140mph cluster for a while now...i hate hitting 110 and just burrying it using only my phone to tell me how fast Im going lol.... just havent justified the $300+ for a new one from dakotadigital

looks good on the progress. Im still debating my battery options. I also do not have any room from the M62 and Vortec tb...the room for a 90 down is so tight ive never actually had a proper fitting intake tube going to my cold air set up down infront of the fog light hole.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, September 09, 2013 1:04 PM
I got it from 05svcavie, I think that's his username. Real name is Richard Davis, since he is like 1 hour from me I bought some seats, B&M SS, a couple of other things, and that cluster. I practically stole it from him. He sold me his Level Zero Motorsport Semi-Solid motor mounts, and cluster for... $180!!! That dude is pretty cool!

I feel your pain about the oversized intake that I am putting in, as I have the same problem only I could NOT put a 90* elbow on without cutting a groove or slot in the battery. lol that would be interesting, modifying a battery. But what I did with my old intake setup was from TB towards battery, then straight down between the radiator and tranny. That there was more of a CAI rather than a WAI that I had behind the battery.

This is what it looks like at night, except mine is in MPH and its a bit older so it has the light orange needles.

Hence why I would like a blue wideband gauge.

Monday, September 09, 2013 1:42 PM
Lovin' the progress and seeing my old parts breathing new life to another Cavalier! Let's see those oil pressure and boost gauges power up.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search