Hellllllooo.. got bored, got the itch... semi-build thread - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hellllllooo.. got bored, got the itch... semi-build thread
Monday, January 20, 2014 10:40 AM
Jay Van is a bad influence and had mentioned I should stopped texting him my stuff all the time and just start a thread. Love the new forum, seems like forever since I've ventured on here. and hoping there might even be some people here who remember me! ha

Basically got bored and decided to change things up this season. Nothing fancy but some new @!#$ nonetheless Haven't been up to doing much lately, been hanging around the cool drift kids so could care less mostly, unless I'm going to LS swap it and tube it, it didn't fair well around that crowd anyway

Last season before the tear down at a charity car show for a local speed shop that caught fire. Stupid, simple, and clean

Then decided to tear down. ultimately my goal was trying to find a way to gain more strut travel with my Tein SS... after pulling them out I noticed alot of material in there that should be gone.. but i believe it was made like so to utilize the EDFC... So I decided the EDFC needed to be ripped out for lack of use and started destroying the Tein mounts for additional travel and possibility to maybe even go lower if desired..

At this point i was able to turn down the rear mounts and remove a good 1/2" of material, meaning either 1/2" more of strut travel or 1/2" more adjustment to go lower or to split the difference yada yada

Now the fronts were a different story.. Was able to remove a good solid 1" of material and my original plan was to cut them and weld them back together.. after being discouraged with all the stress cracks in the aluminum from normal wear I decided to redraw the mounts and have them just lasered out of a flat piece of 1/4" steel

and don't think I was going to go through all the trouble and just put the coil overs back together looking all beat. Color matched the original Tein color and will be repainting them as well as the new mounts. Also cleaned up the rest and repainted some and powder coated others. Added a slot in the lower strut hole for camber adjustment as well.

Now yes, I have camber plates, why slot the lower strut hole.. Well because NWF brake swap is happening as well.. and being worried i may max out my camber plates and not have any room for adjustment in alignment i wanted to make sure i had just a tad bit more adjustment.

Oh and then some of you may remember me for having a Xtreme Tuner kit like 4-5 years ago.. then cutting it all up and molding it smooth to stock bumpers for a cleaner and better fitment.. So there's that too.

And that's enough typing and explaining for such a simple unnoticeable change.... I wont have a whole lot of updates coming but I'll be sure to post them here.

Re: Hellllllooo.. got bored, got the itch... semi-build thread
Monday, January 20, 2014 11:24 AM
Car look awesome, I love a nice clean well thought out car. The body looks mint, amazing job so far.

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:26 AM
Keeping an eye on your build! BTW long time no see! This place is dead anymore....

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:42 AM
Roofy wrote:This place is dead anymore....

Sadly true.

You have balls to cut up expensive teins lol. I love the extreme tuner kit, definitely subscribed to this one.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, January 20, 2014 12:32 PM
Love it man. Good to see another set of Teins restored and upgraded at the same time.

Still surprised Tein uses that much material on their mounts.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Monday, January 20, 2014 1:18 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:Love it man. Good to see another set of Teins restored and upgraded at the same time.

Still surprised Tein uses that much material on their mounts.

As you can see in the comparison picture of the rear strut mounts. you can see how much difference it made in the rear. the motor is the same height as the strut with modified mount now. In the front especially, if the mount was as skinny as it is now the motor would be sticking through the hood.

Teins expensive? they were... mine would be damn near worthless so why not be DTFSU!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, January 20, 2014 1:18 PM

Monday, January 20, 2014 2:00 PM
Glad to see you back at it! Love all of it!

Monday, January 20, 2014 2:01 PM
sub`d

FuzzMASTA9
Monday, January 20, 2014 2:34 PM
If I planned on keeping my teins, I'd be interested in a set of those mounts.

Nice progress. I like where this is going.

Monday, January 20, 2014 2:39 PM
I liek what I see, Ill be doing similar with my Tein fronts.

Monday, January 20, 2014 5:14 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Glad to see you back at it! Love all of it!

Thanks sir!
Glad to see some OGs around still!

strat81 wrote:If I planned on keeping my teins, I'd be interested in a set of those mounts.

Nice progress. I like where this is going.

Thanks ! Depending on how well these work out for me and if they work for jay, I'd be willing to cut out a few more sets

Got home from gym'n tonight and figured what the hell.. threw the rear bumper on. Have the stock sides and front bumper pulled as well as the passenger fender to fix some damage.

Monday, January 20, 2014 7:11 PM
Looking Good. Cant wait to see it with everything on it.

Monday, January 20, 2014 10:28 PM
Glad to see your car getting some love again! Love the trimming you did on the GMX rear, very clean looking!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:23 AM
Nice, long time man. Good to see the car!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:49 AM
glad to see your still around.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:55 AM
glad to see you're still at it. the XT stuff looks flawless

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:02 AM
Thanks guys! Waiting on Russell... SS brake lines are the last piece I need for the brake swap. That and to get the coil overs done.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:02 PM
Very cool dude, nice work.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:15 PM
very cool mods to the teins. since jay van did work to his teins i was wondering about doing such as well. now its going to be the norm around here, and thats awesome. im with him, do not understand why tein figured they needed so much meat in the mounts.

love how clean the silver paint looks!

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:58 PM
Good to see you back!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:55 PM
I love the hood. It flows with cavaliers bodylines. Hard to find for the 03+ tho.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:05 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:very cool mods to the teins. since jay van did work to his teins i was wondering about doing such as well. now its going to be the norm around here, and thats awesome. im with him, do not understand why tein figured they needed so much meat in the mounts.

love how clean the silver paint looks!

Thanks, ive repainted basically the whole car when i got it so thats why the paint looks so nice. and yeah me and Jay have be plotting against the world on these Teins. The meat in materials is specifically for one reason and that reason is to run the EDFC. its to allow a "Cup" for the EDFC servo motors to sit in so they don't stick up too far and hit the hood and rear deck.

Carl Calvin wrote:I love the hood. It flows with cavaliers bodylines. Hard to find for the 03+ tho.

yeah, I got it from AGV Racing who actually manufactured, designed and molded it. They use to sell on Ebay all the time. I picked mine up locally from a auto show they were at. Bought they're display which also happened to be number 1 out of the mold. They didnt think they would sell a cavalier hood at the show so they just made it part of their display.. so I kindly waited till after the show to pick up my hood The company has changed names, and i don't remember what to either..

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:54 PM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:Thanks guys! Waiting on Russell... SS brake lines are the last piece I need for the brake swap. That and to get the coil overs done.
Did you get Russell lines for the Cavalier or for a different model? The ones I had for the Cavalier are really too short for NWF. Good to see you working on it again. There's probably a reason why Tein had that much metal on the mounts.

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Friday, January 24, 2014 4:26 AM
s1lver_N1p (forum_Naz1) wrote:
Stephen (manta z) wrote:Thanks guys! Waiting on Russell... SS brake lines are the last piece I need for the brake swap. That and to get the coil overs done.
Did you get Russell lines for the Cavalier or for a different model? The ones I had for the Cavalier are really too short for NWF. Good to see you working on it again. There's probably a reason why Tein had that much metal on the mounts.

Yeah i just ordered jbody ones. How much longer do they need to be?

Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:56 AM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:
s1lver_N1p (forum_Naz1) wrote:

Yeah i just ordered jbody ones. How much longer do they need to be?

I would say at least another inch as stock length is like an immediate bend at the caliper.

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search