Scion FR-S - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Scion FR-S
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:25 AM

Re: Scion FR-S
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:35 AM
love it. i do believe the subie version was leaked today or a partial shot. do you have any of those?
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:51 AM
Yes sir.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=232928&t=232928

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 2:19 PM
Miata and 350z had a baby

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 2:59 PM
official stuff is in 29 days , everything else is just rumor

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:56 PM
Euro-spec... But just picture this car with a Scion & FR-S badge and some minor trim changes.

Way more pics can be found here.

From Toyota...
World debut for Toyota GT 86 sports car at the Tokyo motor show

KEY POINTS
•Entirely driver-focused sports car, designed to recapture the fundamental joys of motoring
•World’s most compact four-seater sports car, delivering very low centre of gravity and excellent power-to-weight ratio
•A return to Toyota’s sporting roots, with a front-mounted engine and rear-wheel drive package
•Powertrain combines 197bhp 2.0-litre flat-four boxer engine with torque-enhancing D-4S injection technology
•Design achieves outstanding aerodynamics while recalling Toyota’s sports car heritage
•New car to be called the GT 86 in Europe, in tribute to Toyota’s GT car heritag
•On sale in the UK in June 2012

The anticipation is over: Toyota’s new GT 86 sports car makes its world debut at the Tokyo motor show on November 30. The compact 2+2 model, one of the most keenly awaited new cars of the coming year, will go on sale in the UK in June 2012.

The GT 86 has been conceived as an entirely driver-focused machine, designed to deliver the core qualities of the classic sports car experience. That means precise, instant response to the smallest throttle and steering inputs and the kind of performance that appeals to those for whom driving is a passion, not a necessity.

The GT 86 is built on a new platform, with a highly aerodynamic bodyshell stretched tight over the car’s mechanical elements. Rather than fitting a heavy, large capacity powertrain, Toyota has opted instead to go back to its sporting roots, installing a compact, front-mounted, free-revving petrol engine that drives the rear wheels.

This four-cylinder “boxer” unit generates 197bhp at 7,000rpm and maximum torque of 205Nm at 6,600rpm, giving the GT 86 brisk, engaging performance.

The powertrain is matched to the world’s most compact four-seat design to create a car that benefits from light weight, low inertia and a low centre of gravity to achieve the best possible power-to-weight ratio. For the driver that means lively, accessible performance and dynamic character with minimal intrusion from electronic systems.

Packaging

The GT 86 measures 4,240mm long, 1,285mm high and 2,570mm wide, dimensions which make it the most compact four-seater sports car available today.

Both the powertrain and the driving position have been set as low and as far back as possible to achieve the best balance: the car has a near-perfect 53:47 front-to-rear weight distribution. The flat-four engine format and the driver’s hip point – the lowest of any current Toyota production model – together give the GT 86 an ultra-low centre of gravity, at just 475mm.

The GT 86 makes the most of a light kerb weight, making it easy for drivers to exploit its nimble handling and cornering poise. The suspension features MacPherson struts at the front and double wishbones at the rear. The car rides on 17-inch wheels and is fitted with ventilated disc brakes fore and aft.

World’s first horizontally opposed engine with D-4S

The GT 86’s engine is the result of a joint Toyota and Subaru development programme that brings together their technical know-how and mutual passion for sports cars.

Toyota has added its D-4S injection technology to Subaru’s new, horizontally opposed, naturally aspirated 1,998cc four-cylinder boxer engine. This system features separate twin injectors for both direct and port injection, and a high 12.5:1 compression ratio, increasing power and torque across a wide range of engine speeds without sacrificing fuel efficiency and environmental performance.

The flat-four engine has equal bore and stroke of 86.0mm and drives through either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. The manual offers quick, precise shifts using a tactile, short-throw lever; the automatic transmission can be controlled using paddle shifts mounted on the steering wheel.

Power is distributed to the rear wheels via a limited slip differential to give the best possible grip in all driving conditions. The ABS and switchable vehicle stability control systems have been tuned specifically to deliver dynamic stability at the limit of the car’s performance envelope with minimal electronic intervention to help preserve the purity of the driving experience.

Design

The design of the GT 86 successfully works within the technical constraints of achieving the most compact dimensions possible, a low centre of gravity and aerodynamic performance inspired by motorsport technology, while also displaying evocative, sweeping styling that recalls Toyota’s sports car heritage.

Toyota’s new design language informs the styling, as in the way attention is focused on the lower part of the car with the large lower grille. Elsewhere the “keen” approach can be witnessed in the clear, expressive lines.

The lower grille’s “scorpion” look gives the GT 86 a more powerful appearance, with further sporting details including the model-specific 17-inch alloy wheels, rear spoiler, twin exhausts and the “86” piston logo that denotes the car’s special powertrain configuration.

On board, the ergonomics and function of every element the driver interacts with have been scrutinised to make driving the car as natural, instinctive and rewarding as possible. For example, the steering wheel has a 365mm diameter, making it the smallest ever fitted to a Toyota, and it is trimmed in buckskin, developed from exhaustive feedback from test drivers on how to achieve the best steering performance and grip.

The three-meter instrument cluster is arranged around a large tachometer, its design benefiting from close attention to the positioning of the displays, markings and typeface. The result is the best possible visibility and readability. The driver-focus of the cockpit is further reinforced by the carbon-effect trim, all-black roof lining, red stitching on the upholstery, aviation-style rocker switches and lightweight, aluminium pedals.

Toyota’s 50-year sports car heritage

The GT 86 may be launched as the world’s only current sports car to feature a front-mounted, horizontally opposed engine and rear-wheel drive, but it cannot claim to be the first. That honour is held by Toyota’s two-cylinder boxer-engined Sports 800, which the company began developing in 1962. Since then, Toyota has established a long history of producing exciting, driver-focused sports cars with a front-engine, rear-wheel drive format that have proved as popular with the public as they have been successful in competition.

The beautiful 2000 GT, a coupe powered by a 2.0-litre straight-six engine, was first displayed at the 1965 Tokyo motor show and helped establish Toyota’s global reputation as a sports car manufacturer.

Launched in 1971, the first Celica models featured rear-wheel drive powertrains and were praised by enthusiasts for their agility. All four Supra generations came with straight-six engines and rear-wheel drive, while from 1984 the MR2 won recognition as one of the best handling sports cars in motoring history.

The inspiration for the GT 86, however, is the Corolla GT (or Levin) AE86, a car with an enduring reputation for delivering sheer excitement and capturing the fundamental joy of driving. Its front-engine, rear-wheel drive package, compact dimensions, light weight, impeccable balance and superior power-to-weight ratio made it a must-have choice for rallying and circuit driving throughout its production life, from 1983 to 1987. Here in the UK the GT claimed two British Touring Car Championship titles and a series of top-level rally victories.

The GT 86 is a genuinely lightweight machine that offers the intimacy and involvement of a car that can be driven as though an extension of the driver’s body. In this way, it perfectly recaptures the exhilarating spirit of the last of the AE86. And, with numerous customisable parts, its shares its predecessor’s aim to be an affordable car that will evolve with its owner.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:10 PM
ugly version of a 350. I would go 350 over this anyday.

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:19 PM
These guys tested it out. Take note on the1180kg curb weight = 2601lbs
Can't wait until I get a chance to check it out my self on a press event.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:35 PM
I still say that car + the wheels from the Subaru in your other thread would be the perfect look for a great car. Of course, Canadian pricing will be through the roof, just like it is with all the other cars in that market.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, November 28, 2011 5:26 AM
Smack a turbo on that car and it would be amazing, Other than that, My 1986 mr2 is better....

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Monday, November 28, 2011 9:42 PM
I'll take one after its about 3years old.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~

Monday, November 28, 2011 9:59 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:ugly version of a 350. I would go 350 over this anyday.

and a 350 was an ugly Porsche 911....so ?

I do like both iterations of these cars as the machines they are, but I find it sad that Toyota needs Subaru to do all the leg work. I shouldn't see a flat 4 when I pop the hood of my Toyota. I could just imagine taking it to a incompetent Toyota dealership and the techs asking "where's the head"?

I have no signiture
Monday, November 28, 2011 10:23 PM
Quote:

What he said. Glad to see car manufacturers are developing rwd platforms designed for handling and not just going for power. Can't wait to start seeing the test drives and what the tuning companies will do with this when it comes out.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:43 AM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:
Quote:

What he said. Glad to see car manufacturers are developing rwd platforms designed for handling and not just going for power. Can't wait to start seeing the test drives and what the tuning companies will do with this when it comes out.

Agreed!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:42 PM
it's growing on me.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:29 PM
I dunno what to say about it.

Cool that its RWD

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:40 PM
sounds like another underpowered rx-8esq vehicle to me.

why not a turbo option with 300+?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, December 02, 2011 8:01 AM
Here are a few pics I took last month.

Friday, December 02, 2011 1:50 PM
just read one of these two might get supercharger, which makes them more appealing...I still thingk the brz looks the best

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:09 PM

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:01 AM
ew chrome tailights

Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:47 PM
Update from Scion...

Scion Announces Pricing for Its 2013 FR-S Sports Car
• Rear-Wheel Drive Sports Car starts at $24,200
• Low center of gravity and lightweight design achieves a “Pure Balance”
• World’s first boxer engine to utilize Toyota’s D-4S direct and port injection system
• FR-S comes standard with complimentary Scion Service Boost

TORRANCE, Calif., March 22, 2012 – Scion today announced pricing for its 2013 FR-S compact rear-wheel drive sports car. The FR-S starts with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $24,200 when equipped with a six-speed manual transmission, and $25,300 when equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission that features paddle shifters and rev-match technology. The high-performance coupe is the fifth model to join the Scion family and will go on sale this spring.

“Scion’s goal was to create an affordable sports car that true driving enthusiasts could enjoy,” said Jack Hollis, Scion vice president. “We accomplished that goal with the FR-S starting under $25,000…a total home run! Add in Scion’s complimentary Scion Service Boost, our no-haggle no-hassle Pure Price, and Scion’s network of about 1,000 dealers, and the FR-S is a grand slam.”

Pure Balance
The FR-S, which stands for Front-engine, Rear-wheel drive, Sport; is Scion’s definition of an authentic rear-wheel-drive sports car with exceptionally balanced performance and handling, compelling style, flexible utility and surprising fuel efficiency.

The FR-S is a true “scion,” born into a lengthy history of Toyota performance cars and motorsports. During planning and development, it was most inspired by the AE86 generation of the Corolla, better known as the Hachi-Roku, meaning “8-6” in Japanese. The AE86 was a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive coupe that was lightweight and well balanced, making it a solid choice for driving enthusiasts.

Inspired by the AE86, the FR-S is designed around the core goal of achieving “Pure Balance.” The balance begins with the strategic use of the world’s only flat boxer engine in a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration. The engine’s compact size and flat shape allow it to be mounted mid-ship and extremely low, giving the car a dynamically favorable front-to-rear weight ratio of 53:47 and a low center of gravity comparable to some exotic supercars.

The FR-S’s 2.0-liter, naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine is the result of a joint development between Toyota and Subaru. The partnership begins by combining Subaru’s newly developed, horizontally opposed engine and Toyota’s cutting edge D-4S injection system that incorporates both direct and port injection. The D-4S system, partnered with a high 12.5:1 compression ratio, results in an impressive 200 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque.

The flat-four mates with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual offers quick, precise shifts with a short-throw; while the automatic features aggressive up shifts and sporty rev-matched down shifts that are initiated by steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Power is transferred to the pavement via a standard Torsen® limited-slip differential.

The idea of “Pure Balance” is further realized by the FR-S’s lightweight design and compact size. The combination allows the car to be quick and nimble into and out of corners, with dynamic maneuverability and confident handling. The coupe’s weight is kept to a minimum by utilizing a lightweight aluminum hood, a solid roof, and by featuring a trunk design instead of a hatchback.

The FR-S’s low weight is matched with a dynamically tuned suspension setup consisting of MacPherson struts up front and a double wishbone system in the rear. Lightweight 17-inch alloy wheels and ventilated disc brakes are standard on all four corners.

Powerful Exterior Design
The fierce exterior of the FR-S is a solid reflection of its inner power. The profile, inspired by the Toyota 2000GT, reveals a hood and roof-line that is remarkably sleek and low, giving it an aerodynamic shape that channels air cleanly over to the top. The low stance continues to exaggerate the coupe’s menacing face, which is made up of sharp lines, a wide mouth and angular headlights that house the projector-beam halogen lamps. The aggressive front fenders protrude upward and boast the iconic ‘86’ piston emblem, which highlights the car’s AE86 heritage as well as its unique new boxer engine. The rear fascia sits low and wide, with aerodynamic lower treatments that surround the sporty dual exhaust system. LEDs illuminate the edgy taillights, while center-mounted backup lights finish the muscular design.

The FR-S will be available in seven colors including Raven, Asphalt, Hot Lava, Argento, Ultramarine, Firestorm and Whiteout.

Performance-Focused Interior
The FR-S’s interior includes a 2+2 seating configuration that is designed with both form and function in mind. The front seats feature deep bolsters and are mounted extremely low and are comfortable yet assertive, while the rear seat folds down flat, creating flexible space. The car will come standard with FR-S badged floor mats. The large center-mounted tachometer is the focus of the three-gauge cluster and features a programmable shift-indicator, informing the driver of the engine’s vitals. Speed is monitored by both digital and analog gauges. The FR-S features a sporty leather-trimmed steering wheel that has both tilt and telescopic adjustment.

The FR-S will come standard with an eight-speaker AM/FM/CD/USB 300-watt maximum output Pioneer™ audio system. Standard features also include HD Radio™ technology and Bluetooth® connectivity that allows both hands-free phone connection as well as streaming audio capability.

Sports Car Performance with Excellent Safety Features
FR-S comes standard with six airbags, including dual-stage advanced driver- and front-passenger airbags, front-seat-mounted airbags and side-curtain airbags.

Like all Scions, FR-S features the Star Safety System that includes Traction Control (TRAC), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Brake Assist (BA), an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), and Smart Stop Technology (SST).

The delivery, processing and handling (DPH) fee for all Scion models is $730 and is not included in the MSRP. DPH fee for vehicles distributed by Southeast Toyota (SET) and Gulf States Toyota (GST) may vary.

Warranty and Complimentary Scion Service Boost
Like all Scion models, the FR-S is covered by a 3-year/36,000-mile comprehensive warranty and a 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty. The FR-S will come standard with Scion Service Boost, a complimentary plan covering normal factory-scheduled maintenance for two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first, and two years of 24-hour roadside assistance.

Scion FR-S Preliminary Specifications
Length 166.7 in.
Width 69.9 in.
Height 51.2 in. (not including antenna base)
Wheelbase 101.2 in.
Track Front 59.8 in.
Rear 60.6 in.
Seating capacity 4
Engine Total displacement 1,998 cc
Type Horizontally opposed four-cylinder, D-4S injection, DOHC
Bore × stroke 86 × 86 mm.
Maximum output 200hp @ 7,000 rpm
Maximum torque 151 lb.-ft. @ 6,600 rpm
Transmission 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters
Driveline Rear-wheel drive
Suspension Front MacPherson struts
Rear Double wishbone
Brakes Front Ventilated Disc
Rear Ventilated Disc
Tires Front 215/45R17
Rear 215/45R17
Fuel tank 13.2 gallons
Fuel Premium Unleaded

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:30 PM
Is it just me or does that entire article say "low weight" as a selling point about 30 times and not even in the LIST of SPECS say anything about an actual number? This is pissing me off....

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:34 PM
So, they actually went through the effort of designing a proper double wishbone setup for the rear but gave up on the fronts? Does the lateral size of the flat 4 have something to do with that?

I have no signiture
Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:07 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Is it just me or does that entire article say "low weight" as a selling point about 30 times and not even in the LIST of SPECS say anything about an actual number? This is pissing me off....

According to Autoguide.com:

"A better description of the FR-S, or Toyota 86 as its called in Japan, there isn’t. The antithesis of modern sports cars, Toyota set out to create it as such, purposefully avoiding AWD, turbos, excessive technology and even high grip tires.
Instead, the basic front-engine rear-drive layout, combined with a low center of gravity (due to its flat-4 boxer engine), a limited slip differential and an overall curb weight that comes in around 2,700 lbs are the tools at the disposal of the driver. This can be humbling, but it also makes the FR-S a car where you can’t show up and fake-it at a lapping day. Flaws in your technique will show through immediately and the FR-S challenges you to be a better driver."

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search