Help MEGASQUIRT - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help MEGASQUIRT
Monday, July 30, 2012 2:50 PM
Can anyone lead me in the direction of a megasquirt kit for a 97 cavalier 2.4? Preferred to be a plug and play

Re: Help MEGASQUIRT
Monday, July 30, 2012 3:31 PM
www.diyautotune.com

I suggest buying the wire harness with it. Makes things easier in the end.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:13 PM
I have a MS3 for my 95 Cav 2.2. My project is yet to even be started for the first time.

No matter how much you invest, it will still be a lot of reading, studying, reviewing, and programming.

There is no plug and play for the Cavalier although they are working to increase the number of PnP options. It is doubtful that the Cav will be one of them.

All in all though, the MS line is the best value as far as I'm concerned. It is easier to put time into it than $.

dennis
Friday, August 10, 2012 4:03 AM

Don't get the diy kit if you can't solder, or if you're the kind of person that uses electrical tape in place of the stereo power fuse. You;ll end up with a $400 paperweight.

In terms of plug and play, you can do what I'm doing. Get a spare computer from a yard, hack it up carefully, re pin the plugs and there yah go. No cutting up your harness. Still a lot of reading to do and a lot of schematics to go over, but it pays off in the end. Absolute full control over the engine, and superior knowledge of efi systems.

-eric

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:29 PM
Eric,

DIY sells premade kits also, and to the OP I would suggest getting the Stim also to test it.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:02 AM
That's what I was getting at

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:15 AM
huh? You told him they do not make premade units....

By saying do not get the DIY kit if you cannot solder, did you mean do not get the do it yourself kit?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:50 PM
Yeah that's what I meant. ^

OP, hope you didn't understand me. diyautotune sells complete standalone MS units and the "do it yourself kits". I was referring to the kits, its very important to solder the board correctly... so the safest route is to get a complete unit. If you can solder and have faith, you can save about $150 by putting it together yourself. If you follow the instructions it's not hard. The only thing I would really worry about is the warranty. They warranty the CPU's, but not the main boards if it's a kit. Complete units are full warranty I believe.

Stim is most important. (simulates engine functions to test the unit, and helps you get a feel for how it works)
Wiring harness definitely makes life easier... either the pigtail or the 12 footer. Don't go in between, you're either going to make a harness, or splice into one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:53 PM

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:13 AM
I bought the premade kit and wire harness. No sense in getting the sim if you get a pre-made kit.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:29 AM
Bringing this back up..

I'm looking into MS2, and wondering if in an 01 J with an LD9, how does it interact with the BCM, or if it eliminates both the BCM and factory ECU all together.

Trying to get a feel for if i should go HPT or learn to use MS2. Kind of an ease of install (HPT) versus infinite possibilities + competitive price (MS2) point of view. Thanks guys.

Sunday, March 31, 2013 12:30 PM
Thrice . wrote:Bringing this back up..

I'm looking into MS2, and wondering if in an 01 J with an LD9, how does it interact with the BCM, or if it eliminates both the BCM and factory ECU all together.

Trying to get a feel for if i should go HPT or learn to use MS2. Kind of an ease of install (HPT) versus infinite possibilities + competitive price (MS2) point of view. Thanks guys.

Depends how you utilize it. My understanding is if you have MS control fuel only as a piggy back, you still retain all bcm and other function. If you let MS do fuel and spark, you lose things like cluster, emmision related stuff, etc

Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:07 PM
Very interesting.. So you should really go with MS1 EFI instead of MS2, just because it'd be a waste if i wouldn't be controling spark with it. But then i'd have to use HPT to control spark, which would null the whole reason of going MS to begin with lol. What do most people do to be able to run MS2 and maintain street laws for emissions n stuff?

It's starting to look like HPT really is the only way to go to drive on the street legally where i am....lame

Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:41 PM
I could be wrong too, I know its the case with the ems setup, so I'm guessing its the general idea. I originally looked at ems but I didn't want it to control everything, and didn't feel it was worth it to just control fuel since I hpt does what I need it to do.

I'm honestly not as well versed in MS so I couldn't definitely say the benefit of one over another. I considered MS at first so I could loose the trigger wheel setup I'm using, but ultimately hpt gets the job done for me (using the 2 bar reflash)

Sunday, March 31, 2013 6:33 PM
My whole reason for considering Megasquirt was because I'm going to need a 2.5Bar tune, and the additional grid sizing and built in 2.5 Bar sensor would make it perfect. I'm just curious if the resolution lost with a 2.5Bar fake with HPT is really a huge concern... anyone have some nice first hand experience with driveability and tunability?

Sunday, March 31, 2013 6:52 PM
make it do what you want it to do.

I understand it's confusing because MS gives you so many options, but 2 is better than 1 in most cases.

if you want resolution go with the most recent version of MS you can afford.

MS3pro has a huge VE table

if you want to retain emissions compliance (or... sorta compliance) then you should run MS as a piggyback.... give it control over fuel and that's it.

you MIGHT be able to give it passive control of the spark, but I'm not sure.

if you want no BS, run it as a stand alone... but you lose class 2 serial and a bunch of other stuff.

certain versions of MS2 can control the GM 4 wire IAC while MS1 cannot.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:12 AM
I don't know how it will react with the BCM in the 00'+ cars, but my 99' auto has no problem with MS-II fuel+spark and retaining the factory gauges. The trick is to fool the PCM into thinking it's still in control. I will be integrating MS3pro into my NC2 MX-5 in a similar way.

I have no signiture
Sunday, May 04, 2014 9:37 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:make it do what you want it to do.

I understand it's confusing because MS gives you so many options, but 2 is better than 1 in most cases.

if you want to retain emissions compliance (or... sorta compliance) then you should run MS as a piggyback.... give it control over fuel and that's it.

if you want no BS, run it as a stand alone... but you lose class 2 serial and a bunch of other stuff.

I realize this is over a year old now, but i've been looking back into this. If i can't control spark with MSII, what/how would i go about dealing with spark, or do i even need to?

I originally thought I'd need to use HPT to control spark while using MSII to control fuel. Is this true, because it seems way to expensive/pointless a route.

How do i find out what versions of MSII can control GM 4-wire IAC's?

How would i deal with CEL's? Would i even get any?

Does anyone know anybody that is currently, or has, run a parallel system in a 00+ J-body?

I'm very very novice at learning about ECU related stuff, i apologize about my ignorance. I'm trying lol.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:32 PM
All versions of Megasquirt can control spark without getting too complicated.

"How do i find out what versions of MSII can control GM 4-wire IAC's?"

you need MS2 to control IAC

all your questions can be answered if you "browse " the megasquirt forums

Gotta squirt'm all.
Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:36 PM
Thrice . wrote:
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:make it do what you want it to do.

I realize this is over a year old now, but i've been looking back into this. If i can't control spark with MSII, what/how would i go about dealing with spark, or do i even need to?

I originally thought I'd need to use HPT to control spark while using MSII to control fuel. Is this true, because it seems way to expensive/pointless a route.

How do i find out what versions of MSII can control GM 4-wire IAC's?

How would i deal with CEL's? Would i even get any?

Does anyone know anybody that is currently, or has, run a parallel system in a 00+ J-body?

I'm very very novice at learning about ECU related stuff, i apologize about my ignorance. I'm trying lol.

I've been running a MS3 (3.57) with MS3X for several months now. It has a steep learning curve but does everything I want it to do. So far, I've only picked up 1 mph in the 1/8 mile, and have not taken it to the track. BTW, I have this on a 95 2.2 OHV. I've not yet done much with the spark timing but have converted it to LS2 truck coils and sequential injection. BTW, if you want to control more than wasted spark using the stock stuff, you'll need the MS3X board.

Other mods are: real cold air box with K&N cone filter; 4/2/1 stainless OBX header; 2 1/2 exhaust all the way back; using generic cat with flowmaster 40.

If you choose to use MS3 like my setup, be prepared to spend about $1500 and many hours reading and even more hours installing and wiring.

dennis
Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:04 PM
Thrice,

I do not think you will see a difference in the 2.5 bar sensor on the 2 bar OS in HPT. You would be fine.

I recently got to play with MSPRO in a Miata. It was a plug and play unit. WOW. MS is sooo easy to use.

It is about to be installed on my buddy's RWD Ecotec, but we are dumping the factory electronics.

I do no see the point in running MS as a piggy back when you have HPT. I thin it is one or the other. Just depends on the goals.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search