Rear Side Window Trim removal - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Side Window Trim removal
Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:10 PM
As the subject says, The read side windows on a 2 Door Fire, how do you remove the exterior trim? Is there clips or is it urethaned in with the window? I want to remove them for body work.

ShowFire

Re: Rear Side Window Trim removal
Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:50 PM
just leave them on...

Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:00 PM
listening.....
Monday, February 25, 2008 5:23 AM
Freak04 wrote:just leave them on...

the correct way to do a paint job or body work thats close in relation is to take them out.

unfortunately, those rubber/plastic trim pieces are part of the window, molded right into the glass, so you have to remove the window itself, which isnt easy either.

*note - this is assuming you're refering to the window trim and not the b-pillar

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:30 PM
Yes I am refering to the rear window trim
I am a Autobody tech, But I dont have glass tools, I wanted to remove them because the car has been painted before and I dont want to have any problems with peeling paint. When i do a complete I remove all my moldings rubbers, everything, literally. Just how I do my work.
Thanks for the info I may just have the windows pulled then.

ShowFire

Monday, February 25, 2008 8:01 PM
fun !!!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:05 AM
good luck..they use some pretty strong stuff to put those on...i would just leave them alone

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 6:05 PM
joey-dint u have a professional come and take all your windows out?

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:18 AM
^^^yup, there was no other way around it. theres "V" notches that have to be cut out in the top and bottom, and putting them back in is no fun either, trying to line up those notches.

and the urethane they use to seal them......not only is it strong as hell, but in that specific area, they just load it in there since there is extra room behind the window to fill with the urethane

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:11 AM
how much did that run?

someday im gonna finally get my car completely painted and it's going to be done the right way, windows out and everything.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:38 AM
for the guy to come out, remove all the windows and save the moldings i think cost me $80, and then i think it was $125 to put them all back in since they use quite a bit of urethane to seal them in.

i expected a higher cost for it, but was reasonably cheap in the end. and those guys are quick....out in 10 mins, back in in about 20 mins

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:58 PM
Thanks for the info ereryone I will be talking to the shops glass guy by the end of the week and see if he can come out to my house and take them out for me.

ShowFire

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:08 PM
download this. should be all the info you need to remove your quarter glass. instructions are from GM itself

95+ Cavalier and Sunfire Convertible Service Manual! A must read for vert owners!
Saturday, March 01, 2008 9:57 PM
Thanks Tabs! just a question after reading through it does the read quarter glass come out with the sail panel attached? Kinda what it looks like there.

ShowFire

Monday, March 03, 2008 5:22 AM
no, but that piece is very fragile, and is the reason you have to cut the V notches like i mentioned before. it will break very easily.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:14 PM
Yes im replying to a 5 year old thread but tabs provided a great document and thought i would bring it out into the light again.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Saturday, April 20, 2013 1:25 PM
DSMskyline wrote:Yes im replying to a 5 year old thread but tabs provided a great document and thought i would bring it out into the light again.

Word

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search