why is everyone selling their j's? - Page 3 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: why is everyone selling their j's?
Friday, September 02, 2005 8:31 PM
lol have you seen gas prices latley? is probably because everyone wants the cars that get 60 MPG :p

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims

Saturday, September 03, 2005 8:29 AM
i got rid of mine jus cause i kinda got burnt out on it....i spent so much time and money on it and i hadnt even got to the engine yet?....and like some said theres no way you will ever get the money out of it that u have in it...not countin the time and effort you gave it.....but i sold mine and got a Evo 8 and i love it....and some was talkin of gm i never had to deal them much so i wouldnt know about that situation but i hear they are hard to deal with.....

http://www.cardomain.com/id/lambo_cav
Saturday, September 03, 2005 9:01 PM
For most, it's time to move on.

Chances are good that my wife will dump hers for a Vibe..

and when the wagon dies,its just another beater..i'm not even sure about model..

The only one that I know will be around will be the 04..as I haven't decided what
I'd like to do with it (when some money comes in)...and just is the 3rd car at the moment..

In the future I wouldn't mind fixing up a first gen...as I really enjoyed that car....

Monday, September 05, 2005 9:00 AM
I'm keeping my j-body untill the motor blows or the car falls apart from rust. With gas at 3.20 for 87 and rising, A J-body is alot better than a 12mpg rustang.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Monday, September 05, 2005 6:29 PM
yeah same here i have been having
problems with my car ever since i got
it i have been modding it for about almost
3 years and i guess i am tired of it and i just
wants something reliable i cant even drive
an hour trip cuz it heats up and today it just
died on the freeway i had to pull the pos home it
is sad cuz i remember when it was all stock and
no one would even look at it and now its all right i
guess..and i saved up forever for some lambos
and the drivers side messed up after about a
month and ive been waiting on the shock for
almost 3 months and i guess its just time
to move on plus my girl wants me to get rid
of it she hates it so i guess ima sell it 2 heres
a pic from joes website if yall havent seen it
http://www.modified-motorsports.com/html/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=166

drop your top
Monday, September 05, 2005 10:11 PM
2.2L ECOTEC wrote:I'm keeping my j-body untill the motor blows or the car falls apart from rust. With gas at 3.20 for 87 and rising, A J-body is alot better than a 12mpg rustang.

Very true..kinda makes you glad you have you cav now....no?

Friday, September 16, 2005 9:34 AM
im just keeping mine because i put so much god forsaken money into it... new 2.4 engine with 12k miles when i bought it... new tranny 800 miles later.. new diff because im retarded...

so i will boost and keep it as a daily driver! low boost of course....

--------
these damn j-bodies are like a$$holes... everybody has one!
Friday, September 16, 2005 11:33 AM
Time for a change. I don't want to see her go but everything has to come to an end sometime.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Friday, September 16, 2005 1:13 PM
No choice here since mine was totaled out after being T-boned by a full-size Dodge. But I had over 42K on it with no problems aside from a bad front bearing which was replaced under warranty. And while I didn't baby it, I didn't thrash it like it was a rental either. I have an '05 Colorado now and aside from getting about 5mpg less than my Cav, I haven't had any problems with it.

(2 Sep 04) Bike is done. Car ain't gettin' anything else.
(1 Dec 04) Dodge Truck - 1; Cavalier - 0. Car is totaled.

98.9 The Rock - Corporate Radio Sucks A s s
Friday, September 16, 2005 9:51 PM
Sparks wrote:...i love chevy, i miss my 89 camaro and regret selling it every day...but thats not enough to make me spend 15k on a new cobalt when i can spend 5k on a 5-10 year old toyota that'll run better and longer than two new cobalts put together....

Sorry but that's just a ridiculous statement.

Every model of vehicle (regardless of manufacturer) will have examples of "unbreakables" ....cars which can take a beating and just won't die.

On the flip side, they all also have their lemons....cars that almost seem to be cursed right from day one (whether GM, Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Honda, etc).

There's MANY variables that factor into a vehicle's lifespan.
Most of which will fall under one of two categories:

1) Care & Maintenance - Most people think that they take good care of their cars (and 85% of them are probably wrong). There's waaay more that goes into taking proper care of your vehicle than having your plugs, oil & lube done at regular intervals.

2) Driving conditions & Driving Habits - Your driving style is like having fingerprints....everyone's got 'em & they all differ from one person to another. A vehicle which runs strong after 200k might only live half as long in the hands of someone else. Climate conditions & where you typically drive your car will also factor into the equation.

Lastly, it's just plain weird to opine that a Toyota will generally outlive the Cobalt 2 times over. It's even more absurd when you consider that the Cobalt is only in it's 2nd year of production. It'll be a few years yet before we'll observe common flaws inherent to the vehicle's design.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines." -- Steven Wright
Friday, September 16, 2005 11:28 PM
To be truthful I got my '03 Cavalier because I was in a bind, I needed a new car (not too trusting of used vehicles...especially after my '88 Corsica, which was my first car) and I needed a new one like yesterday when I purchased my car in December 2002. Previous to that, I owned a '99 Hyundai Accent GL, which was a nice (albeit slow) ride and an interior that even for a base model Hyundai looks grades better than the current interior of my Cavalier. As soon as my Accent was paid off (paid it off 6 months early on a 36 month contract) I gave it my mom who needed a dependable ride as she was chronic hospital patient and has to travel several times a week (at that time) for doctor's visits, physical therapies and so forth. Unfortunately her '88 Sunbird Sedan wasn't doing the job as it kept breaking down on her and having problem after problem. I was forking too much money in that thing to try to keep it running so she could have a reliable ride to get to and from her doctor visits and as she is disabled and on a fixed income, she couldn't afford car payments so rather than go out and buy her a used car with an uncertain history, I just gave her the Accent because she knows my history of taking car of my cars...even with my rusted out, broken down Corsica that I drove for a year's time.

Now that's not to say that I jumped blindly into a Cavalier, because I didn't, I did research, I did tons of research, probably so much so that I could probably be labled a "dork" for doing so. When it finally came down to it, the Cavalier (LS Sport) fit the bill for me as it was stylish, larger than my previous car, better gas mileage than my Accent, it drove (and still does) good in the test run and it was something different that no one thought I would get. The only problem is that when you're a person making only $16,000 gross (at the time of purchase) a year, it's quite hard to ensure lenders that payments on a $17,000 LS or a $21,000 LS Sport would be paid on time every month for the remainder of the contract until it's paid off. Even looking at the cars that were similiarly priced to the amount I paid for my Cavalier, I couldn't afford those because of the dealer added items tached on to the sales price of the vehicle and I'm no negotiator so my base Cavalier was the option for me. I think my only mistake in getting my Cavalier was that I didn't try harder for an upper level model, I played it safe with a base model because I knew I could afford those payments and didn't want to take a chance on getting an LS or an LS Sport, which to be frank - I regret not doing, and think that if I would have got at least the LS, I would be alot more happy with my car than I am now.

As far as my car and what I would do about it, (as far as selling it, trading it in, or keeping it) I'm on the fence at the moment. I've had my car for 3 years (this December) and have had only these problems with my car: misplaced shifter cable (kept moving and rubbing against something creating a distinct humming noise), faulty turn signal (which ended up being a national recall I think), resister blower in the A/C going kaput, fuel pump going bad, fuel sensor not working correctly (I think that's it or whatever tells me the adequate amount of gas I have left in my tank), and the Oxygen Sensor going defective which was causing my car to cut off on me out of no where. Everything but the oxygen sensor, fuel pump and fuel sensor was replaced or repaired under warranty, everything else I had to fork out of my own pocket due to my warranty running out when these problems occured. My dash has started to rattle now, especially during idling, cold starts and when the A/C on and that's starting to annoy me. I'm pretty sure these are small problems in the scheme of things that could be larger but I'm grateful to have a nice, reliable sporty-like car as I do now. Sometimes I think that with a bodykit and a set new wheels on her, I would satisfied with her looks and there are times where I think that I should be driving something better and get the urge to trade her in for something better than what I have now but I have never had the nerve to do so when push comes to shove, call it J-Body love I guess, I just cant' bring myself to part with my Cavalier.

In the time since I've owned my Cavalier, my working income has doubled from what it was when I first got my Cavalier so I can definitely afford something a little better than what I'm driving now, but it's all a matter of if I really want to. Ideally, I would like to get a second car and keep my Cavalier but I'm not sure if it'll work out that way. I never had a car that has been loaded with any significant amenities (power windows, power locks, cruise control, satellite radio, navigation system, etc.,) and would like a car with those features in the future but I can't say I would be willing to sacrifice my Cavalier (which I'm very fond of) to get those amenities until it comes right down to it. So far the Cavalier has won out when I have this battle, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

Saturday, September 17, 2005 9:58 AM
icce-it's very cool that you did that for your mom...I'm not sure that many people would
to that..

I got my base model for an pretty interesting reason-I wanted a cav-and cheap.
And I'm not as trusting with used ones...so I picked up a new one. Pretty naked,
but it does the job. I wish that I would have got power locks though...I really miss that.

The coupe was going to be the third car, and a possible toy when things get better
for me. I'm working to pay it off pretty quicky...I hate car payments....

Saturday, September 17, 2005 12:58 PM

I've had my 2000 Z24 since it was new, (well it had 3K on it, Chevy donated the use of the car to a local school for driver's ed before I had it) and now have over 91,000 on it. For the most part I have had no issues. The things I have had to get fixed are mostly due to the harsh Minnesota winters and salt wrecking stuff underneath.

I trust this car on the road everyday. I have taken it on many road trips, the longest ones being out to Massachussetts and Las Vegas. The car has always gotten me back home safely with no major issues (Just the O2 sensor kicking on the check engine light in the Rockies). I would take it out on another extended road trip without a second thought.

I plan on keeping this car forever, it's paid off, its running great, and I have had the best years of my life with it. I don't plan on it being my main mode of transportation forever, eventually I want to buy something newer and nicer. The thought of it being someone else's car doesn't sit well with me.
Saturday, September 17, 2005 6:45 PM
i will never sell either of my j's to much time and money into to my 2000, and im just a huge fan of the platform itself. Any car will fall apart if you don't take care of it, they will all rust, and all the engines will run like crap if you are hard on them all the time, i always believed if you keep the proper aintenance on a vehicle it will last for ever, before i swapped my eco in my 2.2 SFI had 125k on it and ive never had a problem with it, cause from day 1 i kept the regular maintenance on it.
Saturday, September 17, 2005 9:06 PM
ive read about through the first page...

ive been working on my car for 5 nearly 6 years... im only 21... I get the good and the bad with the car... but i gotta see this through... ive put 10 times the resale value of my car in to the car if not more, and i gotta see my car done.... ive toyed around with the idea of getting another one... but as a daily driver only... so i could focus on the major mods that pull her off the road...

unless something dirastic happens... im not selling ....

Sunday, September 18, 2005 2:10 AM
i DONT PLAN on ever selling my baby although ive really debated it a couple times.. although ive put like 15k into my car just in work n @!#$ the blue book isnt probably worth over 2k.. i someday hope to turn it completly show and just get something new its my first car hopefully ill always have it..

Friday, September 23, 2005 8:38 PM
i would get pissed at my car and threaten to sell it.... but... 350 miles to the tank, times like this, i dont think i could be happier

my magnaflow decal gives me 100 hp!
Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:52 AM
im keeping mine! i personally like it. i think i may have blown a head gasket. oops. its still a good car though. i like it.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
do you ever notice that the ones who talk the loudest have the least to talk about?
Sunday, September 25, 2005 2:51 PM
Parting out and selling mine, trading up to a Cobalt SS whenever the paperwork comes through.

I have had two J bodies. My first was a used 1994 Sunbird that I loved to death when I bought it. At the time it was my first car and just driving my own car was the best feeling in the world.

That feeling came crashing down whenever expensive maintenance issues arised (tranny lost 2nd and third gear). Nothing that could not be fixed (with trips to the junkyard remembered fondly) but it was a thorn in my side nontheless. However the Bird was very good to me when I fixed her up and never failed me when I needed her. I sold her and while I was reluctant to do so the car was falling apart.

Now second J, my 2003 Sunfire is a whole different story. Everyone looks at me like I am nuts when I say I'm selling the car. Sometimes I don't want to but the nag of no Air Conditioning plus no options is really beginning to bug me. At the time I bought it I didn't have much money so a base sunfire was the only responsible option. All I really wanted was a newer car with no rust and low miles. The Sunfire was a wreck (no joke) that I pieced together and built back up better than what it was.

Now that I got the sunfire where I wanted in terms of mods I realized what every car owner does at one point or another: nothing lasts forever and opinions change.

It all came down to drive the sunfire till it breaks and suffer during the hot summer or recover the money I put in it and get something with more options.

I still admire J-bodies though but time to move on.
Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:50 PM
I dont plan sellin mine. I mean its no trans am but it will make a great dailly driver when I build my dream car. 78 bandit trans am 455 6spd. Oh I plan on moddin the fire to.

PONTIAC RULES

The Outlaw
98 Pontiac Sunfire (Christine)
2200 5spd
Red with Black racing stripes.

Don't let the punks get to you. If they can't say anything helpful its because they probably
have VERY LITTLE IF ANY MECHANICAL SKILLS . Talking crap is just their way of hiding that
fact. They figure the more crap they say the less likley anyone will know how dumb they are.
Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:42 PM
I am selling mine because I have gone as far as I want to with it. I am not completely happy with it the way it is and if I keep it, I will definitely dump a lot more money into it.
I am finished with the car show scene anyways. Gotta grow up sometime. Oh yeah, I also need the money!

Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:32 PM
Im never getting rid of mine!! I wanted to for a little while, but decided not to....

Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:57 PM
when i got my car back in 2002, i just turned 17 that year, and was able to get a parking spot in my HS.. (only seniors were allowed to drive to school). so at the time i was only making like 16-17,000 a year, that was the only new car i could afford that could save me on gas$$ when i had to drive to work that was about 30 mins away from my house.. well now, i make about double that amount and with it having almost 60, 000 miles on it. now that i dont live so far to my jobs, maybe only 15 mins tops, i can afford a nicer car.. im not really worried about gas, no matter what the price is u still have to buy it, and gas is around 2.70 in my area, so it could be worse.. but ever since my dad bought a 2004 350z touring edition last year for his midlife crisis, im wanting one more and more now that he just got a nismo lip kit and some nice rims and soon a nismo dual exhaust on it.. god i love the sound of the engine too! my mom just bought a new maxima and i love that car too..the nissan dealership in my area is much better than my gm. so much more comfortable riding in on long drives.. but dont get me wrong i love my cavy, and i really want to keep my car, especially that i just put in at least $3000 in a new system setup and i know im not going to get what i put into it..and some a$$hole kid would probally beat the balls off the car, i dont think i would want someone else driving my car around,, to many memories since its being my first car.. so next year, i get all my 9 insurance points dropped off from like 3 years ago next spring , so im looking in a 05 or 04 350z with the heated leather seats and HID lights! or a maxima, or even a rx7.. $30,000 is my limit for a new car.. ideally i want to keep my cavy drop it onliablity and buy a new car and drive the cavy around only when gas is really bad or mainly to work.. but if i have to sell the cavy, i will, but im taking the system out and hopefully transferinf the subs and amp to the new car.. i have a whole year to figure out what i want to buy

Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:01 PM
i meant an rx8 not rx7 in my post

Sunday, October 02, 2005 2:51 AM
It was time for me to move on and get something else. I had just come back from Okinawa, was going to be stationed in California, my Brother need a car since his seemed to have a different problem every week, I had been wanting a truck for a while anyway, and I didn't really fit into the car. So, I compromised and bought my Durango, I originally wanted a Silverado/Sierra, 4Runner, Tundra or Tacoma. Then this year when I came back an SUV just wasn't useful enough for me, especially after I added the subs, so I moved up to my Ram and I really couldn't be happier.

I still like the car, and it's a lot more fun to drive then my trucks, but after all the problems my brother just had with the car I don't think I'll be getting anything like that anymore. If I ever get a car again, it will be a '69-'71 'Cuda or Challenger and I'm going to swap in either a Viper driveline or the 6.1L Hemi with the 5WA580 auto tranny, but before I do that monster project I'm going to get myself a Ducati 749 finally and use that to ride around in the city.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search