Hey Illinois People, Looking To Get A Meet Going!! - Page 30 - Mid Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Hey Illinois People, Looking To Get A Meet Going!!
Friday, June 17, 2011 11:19 PM
David Fairhurst wrote:trying to turn econo sh*tbox grocery getter grandma cars into fast cars lol

Fixed it for ya, Dave. Nothin' against J's, but I certainly wouldn't waste the time & money to make 400HP in one! haha. Hell, I'm only planning 300-ish HP for my hot-rod w/ a turbo 4-banger...

Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:01 AM

Rebel Racer wrote:
David Fairhurst wrote:trying to turn econo sh*tbox grocery getter grandma cars into fast cars lol

Fixed it for ya, Dave. Nothin' against J's, but I certainly wouldn't waste the time & money to make 400HP in one! haha. Hell, I'm only planning 300-ish HP for my hot-rod w/ a turbo 4-banger...

Meh, I personally wouldn't waist my time or money on a Hot rod/rat rod but again this is all personal preference. So if people call me crazy because I wanna turn my @!#$box econo car into a better car so be it.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:09 AM
David Fairhurst wrote:Those are some pretty lofty power goals there mike. Im curious as to what everyone is doing wrong besides trying to turn econo box grocery getter grandma cars into fast cars lol I thought you were gonna go with a M62 setup?

Dave

I was, but after a little persuasion a turbo setup was more better for the hp goals. And a huge thing I noticed is that a lot of people are boring engines over, sleeving blocks and so forth and so on. Not really needed. The ecos cranks are good for 500+ hp at the crank, and with the right rods and pistons and rings 400 isn't really out of the realm. Its actually very easy when we looked at it and actually parted it out. No reason up the compression when 8-9:1 should be enough. Well according to what we broke down those numbers are realistic and not far fetched. And for around 3-4 grand I can get what I want. Just the tuning is gonna be the expensive part. Luckily I know a guy who tunes with HPT and he has a dyno and tunes till its right. So ill pay for him to do that lol.

Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:32 PM
Oh yeah without a doubt a turbo is going to be better for high hp goals, its just the cost and fab/build time can be high.....lol high for me at least. Best of luck to you man Im really hoping you can pull this off. You would for sure have one of the fastest, if not the fastest vert out there. You sticking with the auto or are you going to swap to a manual? If your going auto i would highly recommend looking into building up your trans. I was researching awhile back as to what the 4t40 can hold and no one really knows for sure....but people are guesstimating 300-370 ish. I would just look into it, if you want I can pm you some stuff I found to beef up the 4t40.

Dave

Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:42 PM
Ill be manual. The autos can't hold up without some serious work. So no worries. And David its not as expensive as you would think. The engine work itself is only about 1-2 grand and then the turbo kit itself. So maybe 4-4500 out the door. Not as bad as u would expect. If u want some info on what we got let me know, maybe we can help u out a little bit.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 1:12 AM
, I like your thinking Mike.

Oh just a heads up to any local eco guys interested, I should have a spare computer here shortly so my entire supercharger setup will be going up for sale shortly with P&P tuned computer...just an easy 249whp bolt on for your stock eco if you send me your money

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, June 19, 2011 1:14 AM

Sunday, June 19, 2011 8:16 AM
Gotcha swapping out to a manual is definitely the way to go, its alot cheaper. I know beefing up the auto alone is going to run anywhere from 3 to like 4500. Ive considered swapping out to a manual but it seems like its alot of work, more than i could handle at least. But then again that was before I knew you guys lol. But yeah mike if you could pm me some info on the turbo stuff that would be great. I would much rather have a turbo setup than a supercharger setup, but its just that I can get a M62 setup for so cheap it just makes sense. Also from what I have read and whatnot its easier to tune for the blower than a turbo...decisions decisions.

Jeff- If only I had a manual.....

Dave

Monday, June 20, 2011 5:01 AM
David Fairhurst wrote:Jeff- If only I had a manual.....

Dave

yeah, then you could fund my turbo build

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 20, 2011 5:02 AM

Monday, June 20, 2011 1:03 PM
David, ill see what my buddy has conjured up as far as info and see if he can foreward it to me. If not ill talk to him, get some notes and shoot those to u. Either way ill figure something out.

Jeff, don't worry bud, ur turbo will get on before u know it. I am sure someone will buy it no problem, especially since its literally a complete kit.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:21 PM
Sweet deal mike. Got my trunk painted and it looks sweet.

Dave

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:03 PM
Nice Dave. No more p.o.s. spoiler and now a proper one.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:42 PM
trunk looks good David

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:52 PM
Very nice! I do wish u had the other spolier, bc I would have grabbed that off u no problem. But it does look 100 times better. Now real fast, did they pull the spolier off then paint it or no??? Lol

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:38 AM
Thank you guys, I love how the toyotas look against the silver. Haha Im 100% sure they took the spoiler off, the place I go to does next to flawless work, awesome place to go to. I was a little worried about the silver matching since Ive read/heard its tough to match but they nailed it dead on. Also i sure would hope for 500 bucks they would paint it right haha.

Dave

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:51 PM
Hahaha David, I'm only messin with ya since what's happening with the side mouldings. Lol. But yeah it does look very good.

On a side note, if ANYONE has any leads on any J's with the eco motors please let me know. I'm finding out that this malibu maybe will have more parts on it that I can't use and for 900 now he wants to give me the whole car, it might not be worth it. Granted the car has 19k on it but still. From what I have been seeing, and I'm not 100% sure about this yet, is that the malibu may have came with a diffrent trans then what I can use in the vert. So if that's the case then I'm just gonna walk away. I did find a 02 in madison for 650 but the car doesn't start. And I'm waiting for the guy to call me back so I can ask him some more questions about it. But if someone comes across a wrecked car for cheap let me know. Bc if this 02 turns out to be something stupid then I'm gonna go that route instead of the Malibu. Only downside is the cavalier has 120k on it so its higher in miles but what can I do. So any help would be great. Also if anyone might be able to look into this malibu trans thingy and let me know that would be great also. And ill throw this out there. If someone has a truck and maybe able to help me (ill pay for the trailer and some fuel) ill let them have anything off the cavalier they want with the acception of the engine, trans, harness, and pcm. And from the pics this car is obviously a ls sport so it has the chrome wheels. So pretty much if u cover say half the fuel, u can have those and whatever else u want kinda thing. Let me know! Thanks again guys!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:25 PM
If I had the space for an engine, I would do you the favor of stealing your LD9

I have no signiture
Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:34 PM
Haha I know mike, Im still pretty mad about my door but oh well I hate those moldings with a passion and will just deal with it until my car is boosted then Ill get my door resprayed. Just did a quick search on your trans issue and came up with this. It appears as though the only 4 cylinder engine available for the malibu from 04-05 is our 2.2 eco.Linky. Found that by typing in 2004 malibu transmission in google and hit the shopping tab. It says the trans is a 4T40E. Also did the same search for 2005 and got the 4T40E. Also I changed the submodel for the malibu to the ones that had V6's and also have the 4T40E. Not sure what its worth but just some info I found.

Dave

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:56 PM
Scratch that Im a tardo , right in the part number for the link I sent it says 4T45E, which in that case would be different. Idk why it says 4T40 farther down the page....

Dave

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:44 PM
See that's what I'm trying to figure out 100%. Because there is a guy on CL selling a ecotec trans out of a 04 j and says its the 4t45e so I'm confused as hell right now. I don't wanna spend 900 on a car I can't use the trans from and I don't want to say no I can't use it and sure enough I can. Geez this is a headache! Lol I did however, find one in madison wisconsin but here is the issue. For one is a 02 and don't start. Now it could be stupid and be a sensor but it could also be a timing chain snapped and it needs a new head so not worth it. Not if the penis wrinkle would call me ill be more then happy to talk to him and find out. But he hasn't. So idk anymore

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:53 PM
Did some more research and found a thread on ecotec forums and two on j-body. It appears as though the 4T45 is just a newer version of the 4T40, also looks like it has a different final drive ratio. link 1 link 2 link 3. So maybe they are interchangeable?

Dave

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:55 PM
Maybe, but my issues are this, are the splines in the half shafts the same as ours?? And will it plug into our wiring harness?? Because if so then goodie, ill just stay the course and keep going. If not @!#$ me I gotta find something quick lol.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:57 PM
The 4T45E is basically a 4T40E with a bit more heavy duty internals because of it being in the N-body's. You would be fine with the Malibu if all you need is the motor. But yeah, I can see the issue.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4T40_transmission

Here's a little info, but overall they are the same case, other than a few different internal parts.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:02 PM
Well, I just figured out (thank god I work for napa lol) that the inner splines for both a cavalier and 05 malibu are the same at 34. Now will a jbody computer run the 4t45e??? That's the majow number one question right now. Since they are essentially the same I think it would but I have no clue. If anyone has a connection with alldata and can see if the connectors and pinouts are the same with the 4T45E and 4T40E that would be fkn awsome!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:04 PM
I can get you the pin out for my '03 right now, but I can see about the pin out for the Malibu when I get to work tomorrow morning.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search