Hey Illinois People, Looking To Get A Meet Going!! - Page 31 - Mid Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Hey Illinois People, Looking To Get A Meet Going!!
Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:09 PM
Connector Engine Side
Connector Trans Side

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:13 PM
Ok thanks man. It seems that a few people have done this swap but not getting answers as to if it will work. Since I know the splines are the same then that makes me feel a little better. I just gotta figure this out. It seems that, in theory, that the 4T45E is, as u said a beefier version to our trans's, but I can't get a direct answer as to is it will work on our wiring and computers lol. I'm thinking it will but geez this is driving me nuts lol

Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:20 PM
I could have told you the splines are the same. I'm running straight N-body axles on my 4t40e.

Without knowing everything about the 4t45e (or at least knowing someone who has done this already in a J-body), there are any number of potential issues with running the trans (i.e. number of VSS reluctor teeth, TCC and EPC solenoid frequencies and currents, shift solenoid pattern, lever position switch pattern, pinouts etc.). Considering the 4t45e is a derivative of the 4t40e, it's likely that most of these parameters are identical. If I were further along with my Transmission controller project, I would probably already have had all of that information and could tell you with certainty one way or another...but unfortunately no... sorry.

I have no signiture
Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:24 PM
Well from what I'm reading and such, I am being told that it should work with no issues. I guess the only way to really find out is to throw it in and find out. If worse case senario I need a transmission I can find them relatively cheap. And I'm going to make some money back on the car anyways so I'm not that worried about it. Either way ill keep u guys posted. I'm probably going to try and pick up the car this weekend and get it in my house so I can start to part it out and make some cash for me to buy all the other stuff I need to so I'm not worried. It just sucks lol

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:18 PM
Hopefully it will all work out for you. If for some reason it dosnt I say you should swap in the manual since it sounded like you were going to be doing it later on anyways.

Dave

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:22 PM
Well if that's the case, then yeah I will probably go that way. Not sure tho since I don't have a welder, and ill have to convert the car to manual get the linkage and the pedal and such but we will see. Its looking like I may pick the car this weekend so who knows. Maybe I will and maybe I won't. Idk just yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and maybe ill get it so I can start ripping it apart.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:09 PM
Let me know if you end up going the manual route Mike I'll give you my stock clutch disc and pressure plate. They have about 30k on them and dont have heat patterns on them iirc. I put a spec in as soon as I got the car because I tend to be a little rough on my cars. And if you have 220 power in the garage at your place I could bring my mig welder to get the trans mount s welded in

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:05 PM
Jeff, thanks man. Ill let ya know. I won't know about that for a while since I'm gonna need to get it into the car and then see if it works and go from there. Since nobody can really give a straight answer, I'm just gonna throw it in and go from there. But we will see. Either way I'm hoping to start ripping my car apart next weekend. This weekend we got a job on a Vette to do so that's gonna come first since I can use the money. But other then that after this job were not doing anything till my vert is back running. Either way I'm hoping for a nice smooth swap with no problems lol.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:58 PM
I posted this in your Transmission Forum post, Mike.
Whalesac wrote:I did some research today on the Malibu 4t45e, Mike. Looks like the big differences are

1) Manual Lever Position Switch (5 position vs 7 postion)
2) 20-pin Internal Wire harness (13-pin vs 14-pin)
3) Reluctor teeth (33 vs 32)

For reference....http://www.amtrans.nl/4T40E-_4T45E.pdf

The big ones are #1 and #2. #1 because it probably means a different lever position pattern (absolutely must be verified) and #2 because none of the 14 signals in the 20-pin connector on the 4t40e are duplicates. However, #2 might not be that big of a deal because one of the 14 signals on the 4t40e is just +12V power, for which the 4t45e probably gets that somewhere else. #3 will be more of a nusance than anything else, and the pulses per mile can always be corrected with HPTuners. The solenoids are identical between these transmissions and the only question there is if the shift solenoid logic is also identical (almost certainly is).

So, with a little rewiring, it MIGHT actually be a perfectly doable swap.

I have no signiture
Friday, June 24, 2011 1:55 PM
Sweet. So looks like I may just have to repin the connector and go from there. Awsome. I can deal with the pulses on the reluctor wheel no biggie. Ill get that corrected later on so I'm not worried. Sweet. Ill get a pin out of the actual connector and check them out and move what I need to. And see if that helps.

Also does anyone have a stock set ot 03+ tails, a girl I know needs a set and she wants the stockers back. Let me know!

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:12 PM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:Also does anyone have a stock set ot 03+ tails, a girl I know needs a set and she wants the stockers back. Let me know!

I do, even though the trunk piece had a couple studs snap when I last took it off.

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:07 PM
macktruck84 wrote:
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:Also does anyone have a stock set ot 03+ tails, a girl I know needs a set and she wants the stockers back. Let me know!

I do, even though the trunk piece had a couple studs snap when I last took it off.

All I really need are the outters. She has one that's busted from a small accident and wants the stockers back for insurance purposes. Let me know how much and ill let her know then, thanks!

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:10 PM
PM'ed sir.

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:20 PM
Back at ya

Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:41 AM
well guys quick update. I got my parts car, and great news. Its not a Maxx body style or the coupe versions like them, its actually a classic and its the exact same as our cars, only diff is the pcm I think. But all looks good, and the tranny is the same one from our cars Im happy, but had a @!#$ day getting it. Ill post tomarrow and tell the story, im exhausted.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 7:43 AM
Sweet

I have no signiture
Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:05 PM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote: Ill post tomarrow and tell the story, im exhausted.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:18 PM
Sup peeps haven't been here in a while figured I stopped by and say hi.... em infact ima create a new Thread/Post as well

Visit Team JDF Website - Team JDF Promoter

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:00 AM
blackbirdracing wrote:
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote: Ill post tomarrow and tell the story, im exhausted.

Lol, ok. Here is the story of how my saturday was. 1st I cant get ahold of the guy at noon like we planned, he ends up calling me at around 1pm saying he slept late. No biggie ill head out now to get the car right, ok. I call the guy that was going to let me barrow his truck to put a trailer on, and he as some serious stuff going on at home so I cant barrow the truck (wife is literally leaving him and having his get there stuff out the house) I say no biggie take care of your stuff at home im not even mad since your family is 1st and foremost, ill grab a Uhaul and get it. I head to Uhaul, and rent a 10ft truck (smallest that they will rent to tow a car) and a wheel dolly. I get ther about 1:30pm dont leave till about 2:30 since they took a hour to get a truck, hook the trailer up, and find a wiring harness. OK. I get onto I94 which is, for some reason I still dont know about, was bumper to bumper hardcore traffic. It takes two hours to get from Montrose to Fullerton on the expressway. If anyone knows Chicago, they will tell you that is litereally a 15 min drive on streets. I get off, and it takes me another 45 mins to get to the guys house. I live on the NW side of chicago, he lives on 79th and South Shore Drive and its about 20 miles from my house. I get there, and one car he is working on thats blocking the whole driveway has nothing but issues (first the old hub assembly would not come off, he gets that off, installs new said assembly and cant get the axle nut to thread back on, after about a hour of playing with it gets that on, goes to install the rotor and find out one the new hub has a bent stud so he sends the owner back to return it and get a new one) new one arrives and we get that installed and the car finished. This is about 1030pm at that point. Yes we got to his house at around 430 and he was working on it till then. Now we get that car done (I jumped in to help him finish the car so I can get home). We have 6 cars to move, of which 5 didnt run, YAY. We start moving cars, and get that going, and get my parts car, that was buried in his backyard literally, out to his driveway. This is about 1200am now. We get the car loaded about 1230am, and im getting ready to leave. I take off, and leave with his keys, great (only got 3 blocks away from his house so it wasnt a big deal). Get his keys back to him, and head home at about 1245am. Thinking now I get to be home in about a hour, i start hearing a flapping noise. I pull over, and THE PARTS CAR HAS A FLAT TIRE ON THE RIGHT REAR!!!!!!! Im like, Really???? So now, im on about 76th and south shore drive, and I have to get home, 20 miles away through some of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago, AT 10MPH because im worried the tire will shred off and catch on fire since it was smoking. So we left the guys house at about 1245am, I got home around 4am. So needless to say, that was the worst day I can ever think of. It was one of those day that "whatever can go wrong will". So that the ordeal I went though to get the car home. I got it now in the garage, and will start working on it little by little. So ill keep you guys posted!

Monday, June 27, 2011 7:16 PM
So, wasn't there some talk about a meet in early July?

I have no signiture
Monday, June 27, 2011 7:24 PM
Whalesac wrote:So, wasn't there some talk about a meet in early July?

Yeah, the 9th.

Monday, June 27, 2011 7:50 PM
Yeah the 9th was the date we set, altho I'm not sure ill make that one. Since my parts car was hell getting to I didn't turn one wrnch on it at all this weekend, so I gotta pull that first then send the car to the junkyard then get mine in and do the swap. I'm going to start a post right now as a new one, to make everyone aware the meet so maybe we can get some new people to show up. If there is some really good interest, altho I won't be in my car I may bring my girls vert out to show up.

Monday, June 27, 2011 7:53 PM
I'm free(at least for now) Wednesday and Friday this week, give me a call if you need help Mike, you got my cell.

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:04 PM
Thanks man. But I would only be able to work on it at night since I work till 1130Pm but no worries I should have it ready to pull hopefully, by the end of the week. Tonight my girl is coming over and she wants some time with me so no wrenching on it tonight. But tmo is a diff story lol. But thanks for the offer.

Also, I'm in the middle right now, of making a new thread about the meet on the 9th and I'm on my phone. Can someone post up the map of the entrance and ill put the details on how to find us. I would, but I can't from my phone. Thanks! Also I'm gonna make the time at 2pm again since that seems like a good time for everyone.

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:06 PM
I'd do the new post, but dunno about a title.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search