Wilwood Rear discs - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Wilwood Rear discs
Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:23 AM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:what you guys are not understanding is that wilwood did not r&d these. someone else did. all wilwood did was supply parts...and a few of the parts they supplied were only made for the setup i have...and they only made 1 or 2 for each side. so if i give someone else the number to the parts, then i am SOL if something ever does happen to mine. the shoes are from a different setup for a ford truck i believe the guy said. but they only have like 3 of the drum/hat that goes to my kit lef tin their inventory, and the are phasing them out. Trust me that if there were infinite parts, i would be giving the numbers out left and right...but i gotta make sure i have what i need first...and since some parts are limited, i will keep the numbers until i have what i need...

to the OP, there was a person on here who wanted to start a GP on brackets that would let you use the entire wilwood front setup minus a part or two. search for "wilwood rear brakes" there are only a few threads about them.

read this too..

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=137423&t=130181&p=5

You do know that Wilwood DID R&D that kit. Chad said that they used his car to fit test/design and wilwood did all the work, not "somebody else".
You should start working on ditching the parts they used and mount up a spot caliper for an ebrake and then run just a standard rotor and hat. Screw that special crap.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous

Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:23 AM
having rare parts is nice till you break something and can't get the parts you need. buy darkstars brakes.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:24 AM
You could also use the Baer rears with the Wilwood fronts. Like this: clicky

Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:35 AM
Cavalier2000 wrote:having rare parts is nice till you break something and can't get the parts you need. buy darkstars brakes.

No, it's never nice if you can't get them. Rare parts "that you fabricated and made yourself and can make again" are nice. Not parts that somebody else made that you can't get or make yourself.....not nice at all.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:38 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:
Cavalier2000 wrote:having rare parts is nice till you break something and can't get the parts you need. buy darkstars brakes.

No, it's never nice if you can't get them. Rare parts "that you fabricated and made yourself and can make again" are nice. Not parts that somebody else made that you can't get or make yourself.....not nice at all.

true true. things you can remake are not rare to me but more "hand made" but parts you buy that you can't find when you blow a caliper....makes life @!#$ty

Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:04 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:
You do know that Wilwood DID R&D that kit. Chad said that they used his car to fit test/design and wilwood did all the work, not "somebody else".
You should start working on ditching the parts they used and mount up a spot caliper for an ebrake and then run just a standard rotor and hat. Screw that special crap.

Well maybe Chad told you wrong, or maybe Wilwood told me wrong. I was told that they were put on the Motegi show car (Chads car) buy whoever built the car, and that all that was done by Wilwood was that the parts were supplied. That someone else machined and "designed" the kit.. Oh well it doesn't matter.

To the OP good luck in your ventures to buy/build a rear brake kit.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:07 AM
Vincent Morris wrote:if you cant, check out the link i posted. he was running the rears i posted with the wilwood fronts and they match really well. its a hell of a combo. they are the SSBC's which are a VERY reputable brand. you will NEVER find them cheaper with hardly any miles on them. trust me. one hell of a kit there.

I have Wilwood on the front and SSBC on the rear and have not had any problems with them. I would sell my SSBC rears in a heartbeart for Wilwood rears

I do think Viper had a good idea using jbody Wilwood front kit on the rear. We just need someone to make a bracket to use this caliper

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:40 PM
i pwn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:44 PM
But to give a more thoughtful answer.....

I designed MANY options, and yet there was no interest. No offense to anyone here, but this is EXACTLY what jbody is about. People who want stuff, and don't follow through.

I've created and participated in many a group purchases before. I have also done one off stuff that's never been seen before on Jbodies (ask people who know me). The simple fact is, this is how it works.

So here's the deal: get it together and we can make it happen. As of now, we're at where we were with the last post about this topic - nowhere.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:12 PM
Viper your designs look very promising. I created a forum to specifically see how many people we could get interested in the wilwood rears. I don't think it would be too hard to put a kit together if you could get those brackets machined. The 2 main issues seem to be the bracket and the e brake cable.
Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:27 PM
I already had everything laid out, just needed to test caliper position so you could use the stock ebrake. But as said, where's the interest.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:29 PM
I don't know. It just seems like there is. So i was going to confirm it by getting 25 people to put their names down. So that it wasn't just speculation on the degree of interest. What do we need to do in order to determine the caliper position?
Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:41 PM
Anyone that is seriously interested in finishing this rear Wilwood setup PM me or post in the feeler forum and your name will be added to the list. I want to have 25 people. This issue has been going on forever, and we have a chance to finish it all up so lets all step up or never complain about wilwood not having a rear disc setup again. Complaining about it doesn't do anyone any good.
Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:43 PM
^lol....good luck. I think everybody might as well quick crying about it now and save the false hope and trouble....lol...25 people. Unless your willing to move the decimal place one position to the left then forget it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:17 PM

Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:23 AM
Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Even if its only 5 at first, that is still a good start. That's just life. Even if everyone bails, I will not stop until I have Wilwood rears. Even If it only ends up being me.
Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:29 PM
If everyone bails, I will have lost money having to buy the brackets myself. There's more than just about you, 5, or 25. I'll send you PM's in a bit.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:03 PM
So to those that actually care, here's the deal.

There are many different options on how to do this:

- Do you want to use the parking caliper (with integrated ebrake), or use the powerlite caliper with no ebrake (mini-dynapro) or use the dynapro caliper with no ebrake?

If using the parking caliper,

1) You buy a cavalier front kit, and then you can reuse some things (the most important parts are the hats, rotors, rotor bolts, and shims) and you sell off the calipers and caliper brackets. You buy the parking caliper, and you also use a 2 piece bracket. 12.19" rotors would match your fronts.

2) You buy a cavalier front kit, and then you can reuse some things (the most important parts are the hats, rotors, rotor bolts, and shims) and you sell off the calipers. You buy the parking caliper, and you use a 1 piece bracket. 12.19" rotors would match your fronts.

3) You piece together your own kit (or buy the cavalier front kit and buy separate 11.75" rotors). You use a 2 piece bracket. This comes out to be very expensive, but you get the option of using 11.75" or 12.19" rotors for those who like the "different size" look and are willing to pay for it.

The 2 piece bracket would be more flexible overall, but you'd have more extra parts/pieces. It might also be more expensive, but then again it might not due to the larger size of the 1 piece.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:05 PM
And also, do you guys want this based on the 95-02 rear discs? They have a shorter style ebrake line. 03-05's would need to swap over to them (I think you can buy the lines new for 30 bucks).

Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:08 PM
And lastly, however many people get in on this, when it's time to buy the Wilwood parts, it would be a smart idea to get with one of the vendors on this site and buy in bulk and have them ship to different addresses. Might save a few dollars there.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:10 PM
Well I would want this based on the 95-02 setup but that is just me. Also for me option # 1 is what I would be doing. It is a requirement for me to have parking brake for sure and the same size is what I am going for. What is the approximate price of the 2 piece bracket that would be used for that setup?

Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:14 PM
Here is the list from the feeler since we are going to condense this into one forum.

1. E(kooldude_101@hotmail.com)
2. Cody@rdfabs.com
3. BlwnLD9 ( cavfan75@comcast.net )
4.Sndsgood (jcarroll6196@sbcglobal.net)
Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:20 PM
Viper, can you post those pictures of the brackets that you have designed?
Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:24 PM
There is no price yet for the brackets because I never seriously got a quote from the machine shop because of the lack of interest once I had the designs done.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:52 PM
Oh yea, pitures.

Two piece, for both 11.75 and 12.19 setups.

One piece utilizing original front wilwood bracket, for 12.19 setup only.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search