Wilwood Rear discs - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Wilwood Rear discs
Saturday, February 28, 2009 5:48 PM
And I just made a breakthrough. Recently, Wilwood has released rear kits that already use that caliper. Meaning, that we would be able to buy a kit that already has what you need, and with some different hats, and the brackets, and you would be golden, for much much cheaper.

Let me research and I'll get back to you, since this suddenly just became much better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:28 PM
It seems that sometime around December 2008, Wilwood released rear combination parking brake caliper kits. After crosschecking many part numbers and dimensions, this is VERY good, because one of the kits simplifies a lot of the things necessary for make a J-body rear wilwood kit. You wouldn't need to re-buy new calipers and try to sell the Dynapros, and a lot of other little details that add up to be very expensive.

What you could essentially do is use a CBP 12.19" premade kit, and either redrill/bore the hats, and use a bracket (provided by me).

Here's a breakdown:

Wilwood rear CBP kit that includes everything except correct hats (this is on par with the prices of the Cavalier front kit):
- $845 for plain rotors, $955 for SRP rotors

Redrill the 4x100 hats to fit a 5x100 pattern, and bore out the hub hole from 56.1 to 57.1:
- $ x, you can have any machine shop do it for you
OR
- Purchase new Cavalier hats from Wilwood:
- $250 new for the pair

Single piece brackets (that would incorporate the rest of the pieces of the rear CBP 12.19" kit):
- $ x, by me

The best thing to do would be to buy new hats, but you guys can decide whichever you want to do. Surprisingly (and luckily!), one of the hat offsets are almost identical, which means that both either modified hats or original Cavalier hats would be able to be used. So you would get to decide what you want to do.

If there's interest, show it.

Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:34 PM
I take that back:

You would not need to bore out the hat hub bore from 56.1 to 57.1 as it is already larger than 57.1, but you would need to use a hubcentric ring if you plan to redrill instead of buying cavalier hats.

Sunday, March 01, 2009 12:14 AM
MY GOD. THIS MADE MY WEEK. YOU KNOW I'M DOWN 100%. wow. If you ordered the rear cavalier hats along with a front kit do you think that there would be a discount on the hats? I kinda doubt it but it might be worth a try.
Sunday, March 01, 2009 8:21 AM
So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to design the rear kit to use another kit off a civic, and then the only thing you would need are my brackets and a set of cavalier wilwood hats (the same ones that are used in the wilwood front kit). You'd also need a set of SS lines which you can find off Summit.

If you want to go cheap, the civic hats can be remachined to fit a 5x100 hole pattern on the original 4x100 pattern. The hat offsets seem to be close enough that they should swap with no major issues. Also, you would need to find a thin hub ring of 57.1 to 64.1, the thickness of the civic hat face, to center the hat on the hub. This may be hard to find. Also, here's what the dual pattern will look like.

In the end, I will design this bracket / kit to correctly use the cavalier hat. But, what you do in the end is your business.

I will get with E on how exactly I'm going to test this; perhaps I can find another member in the Atlanta area who's also interested.

Sunday, March 01, 2009 8:27 AM
this seems like a much better solution, i never liked the idea of having to buy pieces i'd never use then try to sell them off. and this way i could just buy the bracket from you and then get the brake kit when i had the cash. thast was always a big issues with me is having to spend a grand on a certain date for a group price i'd just prefer to buy the braket, know what i have to buy at a later point and get it when i have the money. i dont go into debt on this car so i always buy with cash.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, March 01, 2009 8:37 AM
Oh I know. I hated the original ideas at first two, but there were no other options. This is partially why I haven't "pushed" for this either. I know how JBO works.

But now that they came out with these new kits, we can use them to our advantage. I do remember the Baer rear plate GP a while back too

Sunday, March 01, 2009 1:24 PM
I just hope that people realize that this is the make or break time. Show your interest now, or forever keep your mouth shut about this.
Sunday, March 01, 2009 1:33 PM
Sinbird, 1990 Cavalier, interested.... i know the mounting bracket will be the same, Viper PM Me when we get to a point of needing $$$$

watch for flying sparks!!!
Sunday, March 01, 2009 1:59 PM
So what do we have so far? 5 people interested?

Sunday, March 01, 2009 2:04 PM
And is anyone in the Atlanta area that would like to be the project car?

Sunday, March 01, 2009 11:53 PM

These are the people that are interested in ( but not committed to) to a rear wilwood caliper bracket. Add your name if you are also interested.

1. E(kooldude_101@hotmail.com)
2. Cody@rdfabs.com
3. BlwnLD9 ( cavfan75@comcast.net )
4.Sndsgood (jcarroll6196@sbcglobal.net)
5. boostNbags
Monday, March 02, 2009 1:32 PM
So lemme get this straight... We buy said brackets from viper...

We then need a rear kit for a honda civic, then everything else will bolt right up? Or we'd still need front hats from a j-body kit or whaa?

I'm with Jason on this one. I'd rather buy your bracket and then down the road when I have the cash to swing purchase the kit.

Monday, March 02, 2009 1:38 PM
Yes. You would buy the rear bracket from viper as well as the rear brake kit that is originally for a honda civic. At that point you can either drill out the honda civic hats to fit the 5x100 j body bolt pattern, or you you can purchase new cavalier hats. Either way it just all bolts up.
Monday, March 02, 2009 1:49 PM
^ What he said. Don't forget you'd need some SS brake lines which should cost about $65 for the rear set.

Monday, March 02, 2009 1:54 PM
Easy enough. I'm game, and I'm sure I can talk Chris from the shop possibly into it as well. But i'll have to see...

Monday, March 02, 2009 2:08 PM
Who is Chris?

Monday, March 02, 2009 2:51 PM
I'm going to post something that some people aren't going to like. I hope you don't think it's because I have a lot of sand in my vag either.

There are a few vendors/fabricators/shops in this thread (freely seen by their names and signatures). The issue I have is that once I develop these and ship them, they will be out in the open for reproduction. Basically what this means is that I'll have busted my ass for free to perfect something, and then someone else can easily make a copy of it and sell it for a profit, after putting in zero hours of time and R&D.

So basically the issue I have is someone making a profit off of me, while I get zero. Now, if you think about the Baer rear bracket copies that were made a few years ago, yea, I bet Baer wasn't too happy about that. But at the same time, the person who worked at Baer who designed it for the company was on their payroll, and got paid at the end of the day for their time.

So E seems to be down for absolutely getting this done, and so am I. So here's what we can do:

1) I make an exact set of brackets: we have 5 people, we make 5 sets. After that, they're all out there and can be copied many times without me knowing. The deal is that I don't ship any sets until I receive all the money for all 5 sets.
2) I do the R&D just as planned and sell the drawings to a vendor here. Then that vendor can fabricate the brackets as drawn and sell them (and potentially make a profit for years to come).
3) I step away and say forget it, and another vendor can invest their time in R&D and make the kit/brackets. But I will not help in any way. In fact, I've already begun to give away too much information to begin with by saying that yes you can use one of the Civic CBP kits.

Monday, March 02, 2009 6:37 PM
Viper98912 wrote:Who is Chris?

AgentOmega on here. Other guy who works at RD Fabs with me.

Monday, March 02, 2009 8:31 PM
I don't care what happens as long as the bracket is high quality with a WORKING e-brake. It's very important for me to have one as I live in a really hilly city. It's all good with me. Viper would be my preferred candidate as he does high quality dependable work, but I am sure there are other out there.
Monday, March 02, 2009 8:47 PM
I am still interested in a bracket one way or another

I still don't think there is a big market for this especially with the economy the way it is.

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 6:55 AM
Honestly it's been my experience(perhaps short to some on here) with the JBO that manufactured parts by members are NOT often duplicated(if at all) to cut the original authors out of the middle. Look at speedracer and his LSD's, can you get any simpler of a design? Anybody can make them, but rather they buy them from him......I really don't see what your worried about there Viper. All you have to do is produce a well made product at a decent price and nobody will bother to copy and reproduce. I wouldn't worry about it.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 11:56 AM
Viper98912 wrote:I'm going to post something that some people aren't going to like. I hope you don't think it's because I have a lot of sand in my vag either.

There are a few vendors/fabricators/shops in this thread (freely seen by their names and signatures). The issue I have is that once I develop these and ship them, they will be out in the open for reproduction. Basically what this means is that I'll have busted my ass for free to perfect something, and then someone else can easily make a copy of it and sell it for a profit, after putting in zero hours of time and R&D.

PM'd

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:07 PM
Thanks for the PM Cody.

Would you guys also want me to include the SS lines for the rear too? They'd be about $75 for the lines, adapters, banjos, and banjo bolts. Perhaps if we order 10 (5 sets) we can get a discount. The lines aren't the expensive part, its all the damn little fittings that get expensive. And that's that I cross-referenced all options to get the cheapest alternative possible (longer vs. shorter heads, etc).

If a majority of you guys also haven't bought the front kit yet, we could also do the front set of lines too. The wilwood lines are absolutely not worth the price on the front, nor do they even fit well. I've used Earl's Performance lines on John Piparo's front wilwoods with good success, and I use Earl's on my car's four corners.

The only reason to do this would be to simplify it for you guys - so all you would have to buy would be from Wilwood (the full kits, plus the extra hats for the rear). Then again it increases the price now rather than later. Only convenience that's all.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:21 PM
I would be interested in the rear line package as well as the fronts. Mine on the front are garbage
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search