Wilwood Rear discs - Page 4 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Wilwood Rear discs
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:22 PM
^Let me know if you want a quote on some fittings, I have a direct sales line with XRP since I've done so much with the neon stuff. I can just send you the invoice direct, no middle man, no mark up. I just need details of the fittings and thread patterns and I can get a quote, if its cheaper great, if not o-well.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:29 PM
E and everyone else,

The lines would not be for the stock jbody brakes, they'd be for the front wilwood setup. The assumption is that if you're buying the rear wilwood setup is because you want it to match your front wilwood setup lol.

JD I'll send you a PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:32 PM
Oh I know. The lines I have for my front wilwoods are @!#$. Just used lines. I didn't have the $$$ at the time of install. So I would be interested in the front and rear SS lines for the wilwood setup.
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:34 PM
What lines did you use?

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:37 PM
Just some random fittings and lines I had in my garage. My dad is a mechanic so my garage is just a giant storage unit. My dad has tons of random parts and extras from his previous projects. I know that sounds like a hack job but it works. They are just not SS. Student budjet. These things happen.
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:57 PM
I should clarify... by random fittings and lines , I mean brake lines and proper fittings for those brake lines. It's not the hack job that you are all imagining.
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:58 PM
I'm a broke college student who is graduating in may, so just the brackets for me will suffice. That way I can do the brakes down the road when I feel like it, or get myself out the hole college tuition has put me in. I'm sure most of you know how that goes... lol.

Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:32 PM
Well, I got a preliminary quote back today that kinda surprised me a little bit.

Essentially what I got back was 10 brackets (5 sets) for $1000. This includes the cost of the material, the time ($/hr) spent to cut and mill certain areas, and the cost to black zinc coat the brackets (there's a minimum charge to this).

Essentially, I think the black zinc is necessary for rust prevention and also because it'll look good if anyone pokes their head under your car. You don't want some ugly rusted multicolor bracket holding up your beatiful brakes. The milling is precision, no drill + ruler here.

If you guys are still interested in this, essentially paying $200 for a set of brackets, let me know. If I have time this weekend I will draw up the rear end of the car and show you what the brakes would look like so you can oogle at it. I can also ask him if it would cheaper if we did no zinc coating (if you'd rather spray paint it) and/or what if we did 20 brackets. But to do 20 brackets, we'd need 10 people, and right now I count 5 or 6.

Let me know.

Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:40 PM
Personally, $200 is cheap for a set of brackets, I had a friend of a friend who works at a shop copy a set of Baer fronts and rears and it was a bit over $400.

Make it happen!

Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:56 PM
That's pretty much what you told me before so $200 sounds good. I am with the crowd though in regards to the zinc coating. Zinc coating or not I am in. I spray painted lots of my under body last sumer so its all good.

Great news. I hope we can make this happen.
Thursday, March 05, 2009 6:38 PM
I am still in for $200 for the brackets

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life

Friday, March 06, 2009 12:34 PM
I know most people are only interested in the bracket but I thought it wouldn't hurt to get a price on the rear civic kit as well as the rear cavalier hats. So I will post those prices as soon as i hear back.
Friday, March 06, 2009 2:35 PM
Well, I called today to see what could possibly be done to decrease the price any, but really there's not much that can be saved, even if we doubled the order. So it looks like $200 is what it's going to be.

Friday, March 06, 2009 5:52 PM
So I drew up a couple things a little earlier tonight. Only took me a couple hours or so, and this is solely using the limited information that's on their site, along with what I've seen before when I installed John Piparo's front wilwoods for him. So yea, this is basically free-hand. That, and a little bit of experience in 3D CAD and Jbody brake systems .

This is how I plan on doing my design (so it all fits nicely) before I get everything made and start wasting people's money. Drool.

+

+

=

Saturday, March 07, 2009 10:09 PM
I'll still play if it helps get things rolling... One thing bothering me about this is.... I went searching out prices for the Civic rear kits and there are 3 different kits for 3 different offsets.

... Hopefully someone will know which one it is that we're going to need.

Sunday, March 08, 2009 3:58 AM
Cody@RDFabs.com wrote:I'll still play if it helps get things rolling... One thing bothering me about this is.... I went searching out prices for the Civic rear kits and there are 3 different kits for 3 different offsets.

... Hopefully someone will know which one it is that we're going to need.

Come on dude, do you think I would let you down like that?

Sunday, March 08, 2009 9:19 AM
MOAR!!!

PS#1 - I did some rearranging so the old picture links might not work
PS#2 - There's very limited info on the specs of the caliper, so I made a very quick rough drawing of what I could come up with.
PS#3 - The car hub face is a rough drawing only because mine is cut and ground a lot.
PS#4 - The civic kit bracket is missing (I need dims on that)
PS#5 - Nothing on here is final, it's just doodling.

Sunday, March 08, 2009 4:12 PM
I dont understand the point to posting the CAD pictures here, its just pretty pictures at the end of the day. Without dimensions it doesn't do jack @!#$.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Sunday, March 08, 2009 4:37 PM
What do you mean without dimensions? Dimensions for the bracket? What do you or anyone else here besides me need that for?

And the purpose was to show progress. But you're not buying a set so what do you care?

Sunday, March 08, 2009 8:56 PM
I'm just saying.......CAD pictures without dimensions(not that I personally want them) doesn't make any since. OK, well...nice progress then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, March 08, 2009 8:58 PM

Sunday, March 08, 2009 10:24 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:I'm just saying.......CAD pictures without dimensions(not that I personally want them) doesn't make any since. OK, well...nice progress then.

You're an idiot. He was just trying to show his designs. Why would he post dimensions on something he is trying to sell? Actually, you're right, he should post all the dimensions so that everyone else knows EXACTLY how to make them!

You should also notice that he has not posted the part numbers for the rear civic kit (which there are about 3 of them). Could that also be for the same reason?

Hmmm...weird that he would do such a thing.

Monday, March 09, 2009 12:34 AM
^wow

My point is....whats the point to CAD's if there are no dimensions? -There is none. They are just pictures that prove you can use CAD. If he doesn't want to give dimensions, then why show the pics. Cause really....from those CAD's you could import, make a 3D wire mesh of the bracket, give a known dimension off of the Hub flange and bam....you got it all. At least I can with Wildfire. So.....your point?

Why would he or you care if he doesn't give the part # to the civic kit? You can't measure and figure out what offset you need? -I think you're the idiot.
I don't understand how you have anything to do with this design at all or how it's your job to defend anybody, so far it seems all you've done was run around trying to find people who will do your dirty work for you so then all you have to do is drop cash and walk away. What's your contribution other than your keyboard?

Sorry for the off-topic Alberto, nice progress. I'll be keeping an eye on this, but if you really want to keep the dimensions to yourself you should pull the CAD's off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, March 09, 2009 12:58 AM

Monday, March 09, 2009 8:56 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:I dont understand the point to posting the CAD pictures here, its just pretty pictures at the end of the day. Without dimensions it doesn't do jack @!#$.

My point being that your comments are much more useless than you think the CAD pictures are. Keep it to yourself.
Monday, March 09, 2009 12:18 PM
^Your like an annoying Chihuahua, make'n all kinds of noise and looking all busy but not doing jack @!#$.
I'm trying to help by telling Alberto to pull the CAD's since giving images doesn't mean you didn't give dimensions. All he's done was make it harder to get them. Just like stealing a picture from a website, just cause you right click and it says you can't download it...doesn't mean you can't get it. Same idea, I still dont know why you are even involved in any of what Alberto is doing.

Again Alberto, sorry for the off-topic, I really like the progress and for what it's worth you sure have put the time in on those CAD's...good work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, March 09, 2009 12:42 PM

Monday, March 09, 2009 2:16 PM
Maybe there's a little bit of confusion here. When you say dimensions, do you mean that the things I've drawn aren't to scale? That's incorrect. Everything I've drawn is perfectly to scale, with exception of a few cosmetic things (like the rotor crossdrilled holes). So this assembly actually proves a lot, because all it needs is the civic bracket that's included in the kit, some tweaking, and it's done and ready for testing. At testing, we can determine what angle to put the bracket at to need no cable modification, and then back to the drawing board. So if by me saying freehand was interpreted as not-real, then that's incorrect. And I'm not really sure how you believe you can make a 3D mesh with a given dimension to create an accurate model from a 2D jpeg image.

And E actually does have a purpose in this, and that's because he's willing to "lend" me his rear wilwood kit to do the testing with. In other words, I'm not looking to spend a dime on this, so if you want it, someone's going to have to buy it and let me play with it ahead of time. Now, whether it's a good idea for me to be holding an expensive item that he paid for, and/or if he even follows through with it is his business. In the end, someone somewhere will need to provide me with a kit.

On another note, got some new word back from the shop today that if we double the order to 10 sets (20 pieces) the price drops by $25 a set to $175. That's assuming of course we can get 10 people interested, which will be tough.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search