Josh's Turbo header, Down pipe and Exhaust build - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Josh's Turbo header, Down pipe and Exhaust build
Saturday, April 04, 2009 3:24 PM
Mods if this is not in the correct forum feel free to relocate. I figured the boost section would be the best place for a post like this.

OK so i don't know how many of you ever check out Hondatech boards but they have a welding/fab forum. Its a great forum with lots of pics and great info. I think thats a great idea and part of the reason why the honda community is as evolved as it is compared to many others. I would like to see more posts like that on the j forums. Show more companys there is a market for real performance parts over here. So ive decided to to a full wright up with pics on josh's build to give everybody a better idea of what goes into a custom setup like his.

Anyways on with the good stuff, I was contacted by Josh a while back to do some work for him. After many emails back and forth we finally decided on his setup. I got to say josh was real easy to work with and knows what it takes to get it done right. I can only hope to get more customers like himself it makes it real easy on my end. So after all was said and done his build will consist of : Full stainless divided flange sch10 turbo mani. Twin wasegates with dump tubes dumping back into the downpipe, Stainless Downpipe with cat test tube and one of my stainless cat backs.

On with the pics!

Raw materials

Collector with dividing plate

Tacked together

Ports as the collector comes.

Ports reshaped to the divided T3 flange

Fully welded

Head flange on 2.3 086 Head

Making 2.3 port transitions

So far im about 4-5 hours into the header and collector. I will be working on it tonight for another 5-6 hours. Then I will be on and off it sunday in between a few small jobs so ill have another good update for everyone tomorrow night. Enjoy

Atomic FabricationsFull race and street car fabrication shop.
www.AtomicFabrications.com

Re: Josh's Turbo header, Down pipe and Exhaust build
Saturday, April 04, 2009 3:55 PM
Stepping that down the wrong way don't ya think?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, April 04, 2009 4:09 PM
I assume your talking about the .225 wall pipe in the head flange transitions? Thats to keep the other end round while i shape the transitions. Come on now you didn't think that was part of the manifold?

Atomic Fabrications
Full race and street car fabrication shop.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 4:15 PM
YA.... the air will smack that inner pipe, not conducive with flow... Although with a turbo, I don't know if it is as important as it is with N\A applications.

If I were doing it, and I'm not, I would expand the pipe to make a but joint out of it.

But Looks great other wise!

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Saturday, April 04, 2009 4:18 PM
^All he is doing was tacking that piece inside the oval runner to keep that end "in round" while crushing the other end to match the header flange. That pipe will not be staying in there.....lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Saturday, April 04, 2009 4:21 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Saturday, April 04, 2009 4:23 PM
Oh.

Now I feel dumb

Sorry!

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Saturday, April 04, 2009 4:25 PM
LOL maybe i wasn't that clear. Thats not a sleeve or part of the manifold at all. Its tacked in there to keep the one end of the pipe round while i beat on the other end with a hammer. Once i get the transition shaped i cut the tack welds remove the inner tube. That leaves me with a perfectly round end for my butt weld to the next pipe.

Atomic Fabrications

Saturday, April 04, 2009 6:46 PM
Nice work so far. I'm going through the same thing, except I probably don't have as nice of tools as you do!!

I've got all my materials, I went with schedule 40 stainless, but I'm just having a tough time trying to cut the bends and collector. I wish I had a horizontal bansaw, but I'm stuck using an abrasive cut off wheel and it doesnt make the absolutely nicest cuts in the world. Did you do the collector on your own? I'd love to see how you do it, if you wouldn't mind?

Also, as far as deforming the runners and collectors to the desired shape, what technique are you using to do that?

Thanks!!

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Saturday, April 04, 2009 10:37 PM
nice work adam i love threads like these just like honda-tech i might have to make my own thread but i dont have alot of jbody work going on right now just an intake and a eco header.

dave collectors are tricky but heres a thread on honda-tech if you could track done a decent chop saw makes it a bit easier the metal bladed chop saws work fantastic btw, also it helps to practice on pvc pipe.

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Sunday, April 05, 2009 1:02 PM
Only thing id say you should do to add to the weld quality / visual stimulation is polish your tubing on a wire wheel before welding and use a high speed sander on your welded flange surfaces, Theres A LOT of impurities that sit on the surface of steel from the steel mill process, you want to remove them so it doesnt contaminate your welds. It keeps everything soooo much cleaner....

Not to jack your thread or anything but this is to give you an idea of how our materials are prepped, and how much different your welds can look from it...

^^ Custom 2.3L manifold we just made this past week.
Sunday, April 05, 2009 8:40 PM
I have one of dems.....

But its much older.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, April 06, 2009 10:02 AM
Very nice, more pics

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, April 07, 2009 2:33 AM
Bravo, more threads like this are greatly needed.

Work looks good so far, makes me wanna learn to weld/ fabricate.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 11:17 AM
Ok sorry for the lack of an update guys. My sunday went to #$%@ on me. I had guys in and out of the shop all day. Being a one man shop is tough on days like that. Once someone walks in the door all production stops. Then mondays are my days off from the shop. I did however get a chance to finish fitting up all the transitions and get them fully welded.

I have access to a bridgeport mill so im about to run over there and knock all the transitions flat and even again. All in all im very happy with how its turning out so far.

Finishing up the transitions

Tacked in place for stretching/shaping the ports

Fully welded transitions

Side by side of my Turbonetics T4 and Josh's Garrett GT30. Looks like a huge size difference till you look at it from the compressor
side. Its amazing how compact the GT30 especially the hole center section.

My office

Im going to stay late tonight and hopefully get the turbo position set. Figure out what im doing with all the runners and get a decent start on at least one runner.

Dave - I buy all my collectors like that. Its hard to get perfect cuts like that out of my band saw. By the time it takes me to make one collector it would end up costing me more than if i was to just buy them anyways. Forming the material i have a 3/4 solid mild steel rod. I use that and a big ball-peen hammer. I do as much as i can without heat. With your schedule 40 though your probably going to have to use some. Stick with it though thats how i started making headers back when i was working out of my parents 2 car garage. Its all about persistence and getting your fitment perfect for welding.

Atomic Fabrications

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 12:33 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm green monster, breakfast of champions lol

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:27 AM
HOLY @!#$ at the zie of your turbonetics!

Cant wait to see this thing done.

Thursday, April 09, 2009 10:24 AM
Not much of an update guys but a few pics for ya. I ended up staying late on tuseday and getting a good 5 hours on the project. Most of the time though went to starting the jig for the 2.3 flange. Drilling and tapping 7 holes in 1 1/4 plate takes a lot longer than i would have liked. After the transitions got done getting milled the flange was starting to get a little more of a bow in it than i would like. So i broke down and made the head flange part of the jig now instead of after its all tacked together.

I had a STi in for a turbo swap yesterday so i had no progress on this but the rest of my week is clear. So ill have a good 2 days to finish this thing up and get started on the rest of the exhaust.

The start of the jig

Getting the turbo in place to start laying out all the runners

Atomic Fabrications

Thursday, April 09, 2009 11:20 AM
So nice.

Thursday, April 09, 2009 12:40 PM
Very Very nice man! Kudos

Thursday, April 09, 2009 3:11 PM
I want I want!!!

306 TQ
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:26 PM
Well I got the manifold all welded up. Wastgates are mounted with the exception of one flange. Were waiting on the second wastegate for the final flange. Everythings all ready to go to start running the dumps and downpipe. I have a ton of build pictures to post up for everyone. It would help if i didn't forget my camera at the shop cuz then i could actually post them up. Pictures will be up tomorrow.

Atomic Fabrications

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:18 PM
So in the future will you be offering this header for the J for people to purchase since you have complete one?

306 TQ
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:23 PM
^NO.

I payed him extra to make this a "one, and only one"-off....you sir are screwed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:29 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:52 PM
Money talks....

T04B V-trim baby.....Time to Open a Can of Whoop A S S !!!
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:03 PM
^Exactly my point........LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:03 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search