3400 swap - Part 2 - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3400 swap - Part 2
Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:21 PM
Despite not having a working speedo yet, I decided to take the car to put some gas in it.

First thing, I got the mount bracket from the weld shop... had to drill the hole for the dogbone.

Still need to drill one more bolt hole then paint it.

Ok, so here's the prognosis.

It doesn't like shifting out of 5th

there's grinding in reverse (and there's fluid in the trans)

Coming up to a stop, it dies

the last one is probably due to the VSS code and front O2 sensor code that's being thrown, I'm checking the grounds this week to make sure and the applicable wires.

I also need to relearn how to drive a manual

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:43 PM
Very nice, now lets see some vids since it's got a exhaust on it now. Very good work though!

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:17 PM
Very good work man.
One thing I noticed though, the metal for that lower mount looks really thin, I hope its enough to take the torque.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:44 PM
Kardain, great job!!!!
I do have one concern about the lower mount- I would highly recommend adding a support- a 90' angle, minimum of 1/8" -prefer 1/4" -between the "U" bend and the engine mount. even GM beefs up that part.
Lots of stress on this mount when launching
Here is an eco mount for comparison-

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:52 PM
Idle problem may be related to the pcm learning the "fuel trim"

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:17 PM
yeah, after inspecting the mount today, that's what I'm going to have to do... actually 2 small braces... the arm to the u-channel has a slight twist in it, nothing I can't fix... also is something I didn't account for.

Half of this swap is trial and error anyhow And as long as the errors pop up while I'm with-in either a) towing distance or 2) limp-home distance, I'm all set

but the thickness is just a hair under the stock thickness (0.125" vs 0.145"), so the u-channel will take the torque, the arm on the other hand

I'm fairly certain I have some ground problem that is jacking with the idle... can't really tinker too much till this weekend though

Saturday, August 18, 2007 10:58 AM
Quote:

heh like what i did in your last post eh?

loving the work.

whats up with that unhooked up sensor next to your mount?

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Saturday, August 18, 2007 11:45 AM
Its an oil level sender. Not sure if its needed, but not getting any codes from it. I think it only trips an idiot light, which I don't have.

Quote:

heh like what i did in your last post eh?

???

Saturday, August 18, 2007 11:57 AM
my bad i meant to link this photo
Quote:

and was referecing these photos
Quote:

Quote:

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Sunday, September 02, 2007 2:41 PM
LOL yeah, I guess so

In other news, started tackling the idle problem.

Changed the TPS, that got rid of the throttle lag, but the overall startup idle didn't help.

Changed the IAC, same.

Changed the MAF, same.

then came the plug wires.

the #3 and #6 wire don't have the little metal clippy thing-a-ma-doodles in 'em. they were there though before the engine went in. blasted gremlins

Here's the #2-6 plugs... from what I can tell they look ok considering that 2 cylinders weren't really firing (the #1 plug disappeared on a test drive)

Swapped in the new plug wires, no change...

Broke down and bought HPT... guy up here has really gone MIA and I gotta get some sort of forward progress going soon. I'm not trusting of a dealer to do a CASE learn (not 100% sure if I need it, but it won't hurt), so... planned on getting it anyhow, just ended up being sooner than I thought.

Anyhow, swapped in another IAC valve, no good...

but in other news, night shot of gauges:

the missing vent on the left is going to house another gauge as soon as I get that wired in and whatnot.

So, I pulled up the lawn chair and had a nice long talk with the car... the usual "you don't like me and I don't like you, so you better behave or else...." routine (this was after having a few cold ones).

Somehow, that managed to knock some sense into her I guess. She started, idled, and ran alot better than before. Sure there was the minor surge/stumble at startup (about 5-10 seconds), but no more kicking up to 3k and holding there. Even took a quick jaunt around the block... well, as much of a block as one can get living in the sticks. Another problem, the tach zeros out on hard acceleration... probably need a tach adapter <shrugs>

It was probably just a fluke, but I'm seriously getting burnt out on this project, so anything that starts looking in the right direction is a plus right now. 6 months and still not 100% roadworthy.

I did manage though to get a stock tune file for the engine, so once HPT shows up in the mail, I'll be attending to that to verify fuel maps and whatnot.

Also cleaned up the wiring, or started to. Finding 1.5" wire loom wasn't too hard.

Ordered 10ft from here: http://www.altex.com/product_info.php?products_id=3474

Despite a concern that it may melt due to engine heat, being that it is down low enough, there should not be an issue. The product description doesn't mention it, but it is heat resistant... I called to verify.

Still need to tape the joint and find out what those plugs do. Probably something to do with interior wiring

One more thing, there was a problem with the alt grounding out to the AC expansion tank, well, since I downgraded from 2 subs to 1, I had some spare 12g wire...

that's it for now. more later

Monday, September 03, 2007 6:57 AM
very nice Rob you still have teh jeffies approval

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:13 PM
Well, she's back on stands so I can get to gettin on the previously mentioned trans problems Pulled the spindles so I don't have to fight getting the halfshafts out. Course, remembering to drain the trans fluid first would be a good thing Put off getting to this part so I could help my dad install some stereo stuff in his Monte Carlo that I had lying around (Fosgate HE2 10" sub, Jensen 600w 4ch amp, Lightning Audio 6x9" rear speakers)

A couple weeks ago, I ordered HPT to take care of some issues w/ the idle.

Figured I'd play around with a few things.

First thing, ran the scanner. Setting the IAC at a static pulse smoothed out the idle alot. So, I bumped up the idle some. I'm thinking that its because of the lesser load on the engine due to the manual that its not really liking the low idle... Now set at 850 for optimal idle.

Course, I still haven't figured out the o2 sensor problem, so the adjustments I'm making are probably working around that issue

the VCM scanner allows the fan to be commanded on and off at will, so I know that part works. Edited the code for the fans to bring both the low/high to 185* on, 175* off just to see (for some reason the fan won't kick on when its supposed to)...

No luck , but when the key is off, it will do the fan run-on for 3 minutes. So, whenever I get the trans problems fixed, its back to the tuning.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:17 PM
spiffy bro i was wondering where you stood with this thing so far

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Monday, September 24, 2007 6:42 AM
just stay on it Rob. you can do it bro.

those gauges look awesome!

good work on the whole project.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:09 PM
found the source to the shifting problems...

this pin was missing in the 5th gear fork:

(I know its blurry, I lent my camera to my dad while he's on a road trip, so I'm down to my cell phone for the time being meaning no auto focus)

So, gotta finish putting the trans together after installing that pin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:18 PM

Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:27 PM
Good stuff dude, get this thing back together and driving.

Friday, October 19, 2007 1:32 AM
yay. updates. cmon man. ill be back to great falls in 5 months which means that your coming back for a meet. and your bringing the fire. lol. keep up the good work.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 3:02 PM
Got it out on the road... still having the shifting problem, but its better. Popping out of second and locked up in fifth. Probably going to get a different trans.

quick vid (5.5 MB -- 56k warning):

The # on the lower left is my speedo ... really helpful, huh? In the off chance there was a cop nearby, I didn't really give it much past third gear.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:12 PM
Very good man. Even with tranny probs, I'm sure it felt good to have it on the road!

I wish I could say the same. I'm 2000 miles away from my car right now, and I have been for 2 months. I get home next weekend, and maybe sometime the week after that I'll get to working on it again. I need to give it a spin on the road before it gets into snow season!

Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:15 PM
sweet keep up the good work man.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:43 PM
About time you got to drive it. I kinda don't like how first gear is so short and spins soo much, but i guess it's to be expected. I brought my 3100 up to 115mph the other day, didn't take very long. Man i love v6's.

660 powered sunfire

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:19 PM
Here it is, 8 months later and not much closer than the last time. (If any of this is a repost, its because I forgot)

Since then, Got it dynoed (with the bad O2 sensor and failing trans)... 115mph in 4th *woot*. Yes, a minor accomplishment, but WTH. That trip resulted in a "foot meets quarter panel" dent in the side, didn't even look bother looking at the car for a couple months... finally got around to working on it again, pulled and replaced the trans & clutch (spec stg 2), installed a carputer (well mostly), which then had the power supply give up the magic smoke. I do have a new hood on the way, should be here this week... the one currently on there was damaged in shipping.

I also did manage to fix the issue w/ the fans not fitting right on the brackets

So here is how it is now... Did I ever mention, I hate the Pro-kit drop? Even with the heavier engine, it still looks like its stock up front....

I have to run new wiring for the O2 sensor. When I spliced the harnesses together, I didn't take into account the different wiring configuration for the sensor. Hopefully, this doesn't "brick" the PCM.

Also, this is never a good thing to see when moving stuff out of your way... the EVAP canister tube, melted closed:

I'm not sure if its a necessary part, so just gonna cap it off where the hard line is under the reservoir tank and call that good.

Figure I'd post an update since I have to get it back on the road this week cause my Cav needs to go to the exhaust shop due to my dogs deciding to pull the mufflers off chasing a rabbit under it.

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:04 PM
i was wondering what ever happened to you or the car! i see you got it running aoround november last year when i wasn't around.... let me know if you need anything from up north (canada) and i'll get it for ya

watch for flying sparks!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search