saw this on stanceworks - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Re: saw this on stanceworks
Monday, September 26, 2011 1:19 AM
So aparently besides lowering your car to the point of being unsafe, it's also cool to completely smear your engine bay in axle grease and leave it untouched for years???? Yeah, I'll pass.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, September 26, 2011 1:19 AM
He is on JCO. He had custom strut tubes machined, so the suspension is done properly.
Here are a couple of his posts from JCO.
Wybrow;470292 wrote:Well its been a while since I updated, Ive been working for quite sometime to get this thing as low as it can possibly go static. After a bunch of weeks with paper and a couple different suspension pieces at my desk I came up with a front strut tube design that would allow me to have travel, while having the car as rediculously low as I could. I had Jason (Roy) machine up the strut tubes, and they couldnt have come out any better.

Ride height:

The car has been riding unbelieveably well, no bottoming out, lots of travel. I borrowed a set of wheels from a buddy two days ago, and yesterday I cracked my oil pan (Who knew that was coming?).

So, as usual... Ryan came to the rescue and brought me another oil pan, so we notched it last night and installed it. Im heading to Ocean city maryland this weekend, and I figured the pan was gonna likely eat it again....... so we built a skid plate out of 10ga. steel.

Installed:

Drove it 150k to school and back today, it works amazing, I love the height the car is at... even the slightest road crown and it will drag.

Roy;470294 wrote:ahem....pics of said strut tubes.....

I started with this....26lbs of solid Cold Rolled Steel

And ended up with these

Wybrow;470301 wrote:Initially it was quite possibly the worst riding vehicle ever. It was sitting on the bumpstops in the front (which were cut down to 1/4" tall) on stock struts. It was aweful, Jason, Matt, Dean and Ryan can all vouch for the awefulness. That is why I began research on these new pieces. I gained 1.400" of travel, and used modified koni yellow inserts.

So when something along the bottom of the car isnt hitting the ground, it rides extremely well.

I also had the rear Ground Control sleeves machined out more by Jason, so I gained another inch drop in the rear over what it should ever be. The rear mounts are awefully close to bottoming out, and if im not paying attention and catch a deep pot hole they will bottom out in the rear. I have a new solid rear strut mount in mind to design and have made (HI JASON ) that will increase usable shock travel and be able to give me another possible 2" lower (Id like to bring the rear down, but only maybe another inch).

The rear trailing arm needs to be extended pretty bad, think Im gonna take care of that this winter.

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:12 AM
Ill go against all the grains here... I give him props for the fab work to get it to work.... Ill give him props for putting a turbo kit on it.

If everyone looks back on the org.... stock body is the fad thats back in now, yet nobody likes it..... his car is low as hell, nobody likes it....

its got a dirty engine bay....nobody likes it, oh well, i know of plenty of cars with dirty engine bays, and I still like them. Hell some even liked curtis's spray bombed engine bay... or phil's engine bay with wires and mess strung everywhere....

ill give him credit for going as low as he has with some travel still. those struts look really nice, not to mention custom...

To everyone who doesnt like it for the little things.... i imagine your cars are absolutely perfect in every single way?

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:57 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Ill go against all the grains here... I give him props for the fab work to get it to work.... Ill give him props for putting a turbo kit on it.

If everyone looks back on the org.... stock body is the fad thats back in now, yet nobody likes it..... his car is low as hell, nobody likes it....

its got a dirty engine bay....nobody likes it, oh well, i know of plenty of cars with dirty engine bays, and I still like them. Hell some even liked curtis's spray bombed engine bay... or phil's engine bay with wires and mess strung everywhere....

ill give him credit for going as low as he has with some travel still. those struts look really nice, not to mention custom...

To everyone who doesnt like it for the little things.... i imagine your cars are absolutely perfect in every single way?

I never said my car was perfect, and noone's here is. I admire the enginuity of his suspension fabrication, and the work he did to make everything come together.... but damn, when you're cracking oil pans and bottoming out on road crowns, that's just stupidly unsafe. And it's only a few dollars for a can of engine degreaser....

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:06 AM
i dig the car not the person who built it

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:42 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Ill go against all the grains here... I give him props for the fab work to get it to work.... Ill give him props for putting a turbo kit on it.

i agree with this. All he needs is different rims and to clean his engine bay not a big deal guys. Also who cares if he scrapes, his oil pan is protected and you just drive careful?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3877823
Monday, September 26, 2011 8:10 AM

hey now, lol... i commented long before proof of custom items and actual knowledge was presented as fact.

ill give credit where it is due, im loving the custom suspension.

Monday, September 26, 2011 8:11 AM
Dirty but I like the work he put into the suspension for sure.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:30 AM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:Dirty but I like the work he put into the suspension for sure.

Wouldn't we need to know if the ride quality was even half way decent to make that statement?

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:36 AM
ROKN20S - aka JuicyJ wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:Dirty but I like the work he put into the suspension for sure.

Wouldn't we need to know if the ride quality was even half way decent to make that statement?

Decent is a very subjective thing here.

Regardless he knew what he was after then took the steps to make it happen.

May not be my thing or yours but he took that extra step that 95% of people never will.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Monday, September 26, 2011 11:38 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:To everyone who doesnt like it for the little things.... i imagine your cars are absolutely perfect in every single way?

Speaking for Jay and I, yes.

If you're going to show off something on StanceWorks, go big or don't bother. Like maybe the actual fabrication, maybe the finished assembled struts, which I have not seen? The fabrication will get more respect than the "here's a Cavalier lower than a bagged Cavalier" attitude. Maybe go buy some Simple Green and hose down your engine-bay. If you're going to go through the effort to show something off, show something appealing to the eye.

Monday, September 26, 2011 11:46 AM
My car is in fact Perfect...... To me anyways. :-)

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Monday, September 26, 2011 1:15 PM
just wondering what the hell happened to that engine bay.

im all for going low. my kit sits on the ground. but it doesnt look like he could even get up a curb. probalby couldnt go over any type of speed bump. he likely parked on the street because it can't even get into his own driveway. he cracked his oilpan driving around. just seeems like he killed the driveability on that thing to me. that undercarriage is sitting about an inch off the ground. i dont see how he could have any travel at all without scraping. would think his suspsention would have to be so stiff .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, September 26, 2011 2:22 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:To everyone who doesnt like it for the little things.... i imagine your cars are absolutely perfect in every single way?

Speaking for Jay and I, yes.

If you're going to show off something on StanceWorks, go big or don't bother. Like maybe the actual fabrication, maybe the finished assembled struts, which I have not seen? The fabrication will get more respect than the "here's a Cavalier lower than a bagged Cavalier" attitude. Maybe go buy some Simple Green and hose down your engine-bay. If you're going to go through the effort to show something off, show something appealing to the eye.

he straight up said, its a cheap beater car. Straight up said it. It was a post made to say look at my show car....

Joe Schulte wrote:Unfortunately the prior owner to his performed a @!#$ty rattle-can job on them, and after the tire place did further work I was determined to prep them and decide on a finish over the weekend.

doesnt sound perfect to me....

my point is, he made a post just to show a beater DD.... its not presented as a show car. He made the car low with lots of actual work not just springs and struts. made a good looking skid plate too.

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:54 PM
I personally love the car. Would I go that low? Probably not since I live in the city. He does most of his own fabrication. Made the charge pipes, down pipe, skid plate and plenty of other pieces on that car, so he knows what he is doing.
I would have personally cleaned the engine bay when I swapped out the 2.4, but thats just me. He has started many times on JCO that he couldn't care less how the engine/bay look, as long as it goes, and goes fast.

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:09 PM
Stancewars 2011.

Atleast Joe builds his own "not perfect" cars....

Moral of the story. Canadiens are crazy.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Monday, September 26, 2011 3:39 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:Stancewars 2011.

Atleast Joe builds his own "not perfect" cars....

Moral of the story. Canadiens are crazy.

from the looks of it, i bet this kid did too...

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:57 PM
I like how he reference's the VW scene, so in comparison his fab-work may be great to this crowd, but it is minimal compared to some of that scene's work. I still give respect there, however he didn't share any of that. Darren did, and I'd still like to see finished product and details of dampening. *knock, knock*

As for Vince, humor me, you dug up a post of mine, to acknowledge the prior owner of the SS/TC wheels I now have did a @!#$ rattle-can job on? Shame they're not curb checked and bent too! However paint I can fix.

SO, why don't you quote the hours I stayed after work to prep them myself an hour after I had them mounted and balanced, the conversations to get some booth time and spray them myself next weekend, or the money I dropped on ARP studs and motorsport-tech spacers to fit proper completed? Or "hellaflush" for the scene kiddies.

So do that, and we'll get a couple facts straight-

1. I'm not Phil, so cut the bullshit.

2. Brandon Fetter won't be posting my updates.

3. I'm not the best, but the more installs I do the better I get.

...and once done I'll photoshop my homo hot-rod onto the ground, crack a spare oilpan and post pics, and get major street cred on StanceWorks. Jay and I will be not only domestic partners, but domestic StanceWorks OG's.

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:02 PM
Monday, September 26, 2011 4:02 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:I like how he reference's the VW scene, so in comparison his fab-work may be great to this crowd, but it is minimal compared to some of that scene's work. I still give respect there, however he didn't share any of that. Darren did, and I'd still like to see finished product and details of dampening. *knock, knock*

As for Vince, humor me, you dug up a post of mine, to acknowledge the prior owner of the SS/TC wheels I now have did a @!#$ rattle-can job on? Shame they're not curb checked and bent too! However paint I can fix.

SO, why don't you quote the hours I stayed after work to prep them myself an hour after I had them mounted and balanced, the conversations to get some booth time and spray them myself next weekend, or the money I dropped on ARP studs and motorsport-tech spacers to fit proper completed? Or "hellaflush" for the scene kiddies.

So do that, and we'll get a couple facts straight-

1. I'm not Phil, so cut the bullshit.

3. I'm not the best, but the more installs I do the better I get.

...and once done I'll photoshop my homo hot-rod onto the ground, crack a spare oilpan and post pics, and get major street cred on StanceWorks. Jay and I will be not only domestic partners, but domestic StanceWorks OG's.

I still give respect there, however he didn't share any of that. Darren did

HE did. Darren COPIED it off of JCO, where the guy posted it...

so all he would have to do is spray some simple green on the engine bay and its all good? that all he has to do?

He will be sending me mine because he is doing what I cant... Weld, and paint. If I could do that, Id be doing my own.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 26, 2011 4:27 PM

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:16 PM

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:41 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:

Monday, September 26, 2011 8:42 PM
Thanks for the words and acknowledgement, good or bad. I am no "D-bag", I just call things as I see it.

That is my car.

I've owned it since last november, in that time, Ive eco-swapped it, boosted it with working A/C and cruise control, made a proper working suspension (that you all somehow think rides like @!#$?) and swapped the entire interior from the @!#$ ass tan colour, to the black with red speckled. ALL while driving it DAILY.

This is no show car, Ill say it a million times over, the hood is, and should always only ever be, where the business happens; the only reason the hood ever gets popped is to check the oil, and if someone asks to see. It is drivin in the winter, THAT is why its gooped. I very much appreciate functionality over flashyness. If you guys would take 5 minutes out of your day to read the other thread, you would have realized that not only did I rip apart gawdy body kits, I also mentioned that not all cavalier owners are this way, in my area - its a true statement. 95% of the J cars around here are @!#$ aweful.

Glad you guys jump to conclusions so fast.

The car, Im sure... rides better then a very large portion of cars on here, easily better then a stock one. No my suspension is not stiff as hell, and no I have not lost ANY functionality of the car. I still pull into parking lots just the same as anyone else.

I just put over 3000kms (1800ish miles) this weekend ALONE, lets see some of you guys with your "show cars" do that. Its a thousand dollar car, that I very much appreciate driving, has never let me down, and gets a tonne of compliments wherever I go. I am continually asked if its on bags, and people are shocked to find that it isnt.

Furthermore, the wheels are not mine. Again, if you would take the time to read the thread you wouldve found out that I borrowed them for my roadtrip, because they dont rub, where as my stock wheels/tires do.

I dont have any pics of the suspension setup finished, so Im sure not one of you will believe me when I tell you, but Im running modified Koni yellow inserts in the front, and KYB AGX's in the rear.

Ill be honest, Im not happy with how the AGXs ride, but I have yellows to replace them this winter.

Heres to hopping on a bandwagon
Monday, September 26, 2011 8:48 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:Mine will be drivable at that height also. I am using air for many different reasons. Static sucks here. And for his suspension it reminds me of another coach suspension brew. Kinda wondering if he used air struts and a coilover spring. Anyways not impressed especially not giving up what he did to get that low.

btw, just so I know.... what exactly did I give up to ride this low? I drive my car everyday...

what size car cover do you put on yours?
Monday, September 26, 2011 10:06 PM
Jeff Wybrow wrote:This is no show car, Ill say it a million times over, the hood is, and should always only ever be, where the business happens; the only reason the hood ever gets popped is to check the oil, and if someone asks to see. It is drivin in the winter, THAT is why its gooped. I very much appreciate functionality over flashyness. If you guys would take 5 minutes out of your day to read the other thread

lol if you took 5 minutes and worked on taking pride in ur engine bay every day we really wouldnt have much to be crying about.

edit... furthermore, why if the engine bay is clean does it make it a "show car"? to me that just means the owner cares...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 26, 2011 10:07 PM

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search