saw this on stanceworks - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Re: saw this on stanceworks
Monday, September 26, 2011 10:32 PM
Jeff Wybrow wrote:btw, just so I know.... what exactly did I give up to ride this low? I drive my car everyday...

Don't take this as a personal insult, because I respect the work you've done on the suspension, but if you're cracking oil pans and rubbing tires on turns then in my opinion it's impracticle, unsafe, and pointless.
Not to mention the control arms are far from being paralel, and regardless of how well it may handle, it's not an optimal setup. And it will also cause added stress on the balljoints, control arm bushings, and probably axles too.

As a counterpoint to your question, all I will say is my car handles pretty darn well IMO, I don't rub on stock wheels with mildly oversized tires, and I've never cracked an oil pan.

Quote:

Everything Joe and Vince said to each other

Awwww snap!!!!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:46 PM
Jeff Wybrow wrote:
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:Mine will be drivable at that height also. I am using air for many different reasons. Static sucks here. And for his suspension it reminds me of another coach suspension brew. Kinda wondering if he used air struts and a coilover spring. Anyways not impressed especially not giving up what he did to get that low.

btw, just so I know.... what exactly did I give up to ride this low? I drive my car everyday...

what size car cover do you put on yours?

lol. love how you picked to quote me out of everyone. but anyways to answer your questions.

first you gave up a oil pan. lol the ability to clear speed bumps, steap inclines, ability to have it towed with out issues, ability to change a tire with out a stack of wood, let alone on roadside, how about if the tire goes flat. does the car sit on the ground? can it be controlled if it does lay on the ground? has this car made it through a winter yet at this height? i could keep going if you would like.

the other part is we see alot of people roll through here with the "call it as i see it" attitude and people call them out on it, they get mad, and then leave calling us all asses. also using this type of atttitude are also hiding that they have a lack of knowledge in what they are working on. are you this? thats for us to decide on how you take this topic about you. good proof to us is pics of your work.

now for my car...... no car cover. sorry. mine was a dd, but now is under a knife getting a whole re work from front to rear, top to bottom. the changes are towards the car i want to own and drive. will it return to dd status after all is done and proven to be reliable. absolutely. also here is a link to my build thread and progress is not flying, being that this is a toy and i don't make a @!#$ ton of money to blow on this car.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:08 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Jeff Wybrow wrote:This is no show car, Ill say it a million times over, the hood is, and should always only ever be, where the business happens; the only reason the hood ever gets popped is to check the oil, and if someone asks to see. It is drivin in the winter, THAT is why its gooped. I very much appreciate functionality over flashyness. If you guys would take 5 minutes out of your day to read the other thread

lol if you took 5 minutes and worked on taking pride in ur engine bay every day we really wouldnt have much to be crying about.
edit... furthermore, why if the engine bay is clean does it make it a "show car"? to me that just means the owner cares...

So, let me get this straight, seeing as my FIREWALL ONLY is undercoated, because this car is drivin everyday in the winter, and wont rot out like so many other J-bodies have.... Im at fault? Thats not taking pride in my engine bay? Haha, great point.

Quote:

Don't take this as a personal insult, because I respect the work you've done on the suspension, but if you're cracking oil pans and rubbing tires on turns then in my opinion it's impracticle, unsafe, and pointless.
Not to mention the control arms are far from being paralel, and regardless of how well it may handle, it's not an optimal setup. And it will also cause added stress on the balljoints, control arm bushings, and probably axles too.

As a counterpoint to your question, all I will say is my car handles pretty darn well IMO, I don't rub on stock wheels with mildly oversized tires, and I've never cracked an oil pan.

Do I sound like a dummy? Do you not think I am aware of this? However, guys on airbags put their suspension through a much larger range of motion, which, if you believe it or not is even harder on suspension pieces. This is a cavalier, whatever gets worn out, its cheap as hell to fix. So who cares.

And congratulations, you have a cavalier. What in the hell are you putting oversized tires on it for? Offroading?

Quote:

lol. love how you picked to quote me out of everyone. but anyways to answer your questions.

first you gave up a oil pan. lol the ability to clear speed bumps, steap inclines, ability to have it towed with out issues, ability to change a tire with out a stack of wood, let alone on roadside, how about if the tire goes flat. does the car sit on the ground? can it be controlled if it does lay on the ground? has this car made it through a winter yet at this height? i could keep going if you would like.

the other part is we see alot of people roll through here with the "call it as i see it" attitude and people call them out on it, they get mad, and then leave calling us all asses. also using this type of atttitude are also hiding that they have a lack of knowledge in what they are working on. are you this? thats for us to decide on how you take this topic about you. good proof to us is pics of your work.

now for my car...... no car cover. sorry. mine was a dd, but now is under a knife getting a whole re work from front to rear, top to bottom. the changes are towards the car i want to own and drive. will it return to dd status after all is done and proven to be reliable. absolutely. also here is a link to my build thread and progress is not flying, being that this is a toy and i don't make a @!#$ ton of money to blow on this car.

Sorry to pick on you, but it was the first I saw that I really did not agree with.

Through a winter?! haha, this is canada, you honestly think it stays this low for winter? I have stock strut/spring assemblies that get swapped out in 15 minutes on my hoist. A tow home is but a phone call away, what happens when an air line blows off? Can you get your car towed easily layed out? Didnt think so.

I work on cars everyday, "lack of knowledge" is not present here, quite the contrary, actually. For you to decide? No, it isnt. You dont get to decide anything, why, because its totally irrelevant to my life.

Props on driving it everyday, I know a lot of people on here dont.

You guys are coming at me with valid issues, and I hope Ive addressed them (but really, I dont care). I drive the car everyday, usually about 100 kilometres, and it puts a smile on my face the whole way there and back, isnt that what we build them for? Every issue you bitch to me about, is relevant to anyone who lowers their cavalier, just on different levels.

Carry on, Ill keep fighting back.
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:11 AM
Oh, and if you guys dont like the car the way it is now, Just wait til spring.
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:25 AM
I like it, props on laying that bish on the ground without air or hydro.

I live in MT and ride around on dirt roads each day, and can't keep my engine clean for the life of me, its not without trying but almost all my hood up pics have a dirty bay inside. And the only people around here who don't have a dirty bay are people who never drive there cars except to shows or in town only. In town only is hard to do here, hell I live in town and have to drive up 2 dirt roads/ driveways to get home or to work. Its painstaking, lol.

My point- A dirty bay don't make or break a car in my opinion, if the owner likes it, cool that's enough, unless your at the show being judged with a dirty bay, then shame on you lazy turds. LOL

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:45 AM
i just dont see how you can sit an inch off the ground and not be hitting it all the time. and with a front lip that is sitting maybe 2" off the ground i cant see how you could go up any curb at all without destroying it. and can't see how the ride could be decent at all at that low a level. i mean you said we were jumping to conclusions about the ride quality and in your very own post you said your swapping out the rear struts because your not happy with how it rides either.

and id say there are maybe a dozen or so cars on this site that don't daily drive there cars. mines not daily driven anymore but im one of the very few. but mine is a show car which even fewer on this site have. there are maybe a dozen of us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:29 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:11 AM
i'll give ya props for coming here answering everyone's "bitching" and taking it with a grain of salt.

there is life outside the .org!

i don't care for the car (specifically the engine bay, but only because to me it shows a lack of care to the car, which like you said it's a 1,000 dollar car so who cares!), but if your'e happy with it then rock on man!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:13 AM

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:40 AM
Jeff Wybrow wrote:So, let me get this straight, seeing as my FIREWALL ONLY is undercoated, because this car is drivin everyday in the winter, and wont rot out like so many other J-bodies have.... Im at fault? Thats not taking pride in my engine bay? Haha, great point..

LMAO WUT?!?!!??!? wtf did you "undercoat" it with, bro... axle grease?

on a side note.. if you dont care about ur car then whatever but good god if you plan on representing a community on a site like stanceworks for the love of god actually clean ur car up for pictures! nobody is saying it should be a show car, were just saying at least TRY!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:48 AM

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:42 AM
Jeff Wybrow wrote:
Quote:

Sorry to pick on you, but it was the first I saw that I really did not agree with.

Through a winter?! haha, this is canada, you honestly think it stays this low for winter? I have stock strut/spring assemblies that get swapped out in 15 minutes on my hoist. A tow home is but a phone call away, what happens when an air line blows off? Can you get your car towed easily layed out? Didnt think so.

I work on cars everyday, "lack of knowledge" is not present here, quite the contrary, actually. For you to decide? No, it isnt. You dont get to decide anything, why, because its totally irrelevant to my life.

Props on driving it everyday, I know a lot of people on here dont.

You guys are coming at me with valid issues, and I hope Ive addressed them (but really, I dont care). I drive the car everyday, usually about 100 kilometres, and it puts a smile on my face the whole way there and back, isnt that what we build them for? Every issue you bitch to me about, is relevant to anyone who lowers their cavalier, just on different levels.

Carry on, Ill keep fighting back.

If you have a plan that is awesome. Most of the people out that have no clue how to get their dissabled slammed car home after something breaks. If you do you are a step ahead of most. They usually just call a tow truck anmake them figure it out while all along bitching that they are fing up the vehicle because the builder had a lack of planning involved in building their ride. If I lose a air line my car willbe able to.be driven at 0 psi so.at worse case I have to drive it home riding low. Also if I just lose a airline only the one corner will drop not all. Still allowing enough clearance to get it on a roll back. My setup will not be some of the shelf lazy ass thrown on kit. That's why I am considering selling this cheap easy street kit and ordering a different kit with a good air management. But props.on whatever you do.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:15 AM
Like the custom work, I always like seeing anyone do anything out side of the box. As for practicality I never waste my time arguing over that since impractical modifications is what started hot roding from day one so I won't go there. The bay definitely looks like you wiped @!#$ all of it, there is no changing that but I'm not going to piss about it.

As for the show car comments, that's just as bad as some of these guys jumping down your throat. I drove my car as a daily for years. Now it sits in the garage cause I've had the interest fall and just don't take it out much any more. That and cause I can have it sit there, if I don't drive it much and I'm considering selling it for Typhoon so maybe I'd drive my fun car more. In fact I'm emailing photos over right after this post to a dealer that has a Typhoon right now!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:40 AM
i like the fact that its that low but than again im a sucker for dropped anything lol. i like it if you like it sweet, not to bash but good like with it and dont bust any more pans

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:19 PM
I live in Ajax, Toronto, and I know how bad our roads are. Is it impractical? Yes. Do i love your car? Yes.

Props on all the custom work and being able to go that low.

Are you in the JCO or GMCO?

You should come to the GMCO Season Opener on Oct 2 at AMC Whitby. Its gonna be a great show. Please PM me

http://www.facebook.com/slybai http://www.j-body.com http://www.j-body.org http://www.gmclubofontario.com
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:30 PM
I remember why I never post anything on this site, all you guys do is rip everything apart. The front suspension is legit, I should know, as I am the one who machined the new lower strut tubes. The rear will be remedied during the winter I'm sure, just waiting for a drawing.
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:57 PM
2Sly wrote:I live in Ajax, Toronto, and I know how bad our roads are. Is it impractical? Yes. Do i love your car? Yes.

Props on all the custom work and being able to go that low.

Are you in the JCO or GMCO?

You should come to the GMCO Season Opener on Oct 2 at AMC Whitby. Its gonna be a great show. Please PM me

And by season opener you mean season closer right? And obviously he posts on JCO since I quoted his pics from JCO and said that he posted on there.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:40 PM
Jason Roy wrote:I remember why I never post anything on this site, all you guys do is rip everything apart. The front suspension is legit, I should know, as I am the one who machined the new lower strut tubes. The rear will be remedied during the winter I'm sure, just waiting for a drawing.

were no different than any other dedicated automotive interwebz forum.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:09 PM
Jason Roy wrote:I remember why I never post anything on this site, all you guys do is rip everything apart. The front suspension is legit, I should know, as I am the one who machined the new lower strut tubes. The rear will be remedied during the winter I'm sure, just waiting for a drawing.

we have no problems with legit work. hell check out the suspension and brake section. we just would like to see pictures to see if it is legit. no just a car slammed on the ground. to understand more of what i am getting at search "coach" in this section and see what became of his "special suspension" and yet have to find out what exactly he had. it's more about safety than anything. atleast with me.

for the under the hood. paint it black so that way the dirt does not show so bad.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:12 PM
Yes please post in the suspension section on what you did. I'm very interested to see what you did to compensate for the roll center transitioning between being above ground and below ground.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:12 PM
HAHAHAHAHA Jeffy

welcome to the org buddy told you people would bash it because they never thought of it god forbid if a new guy lowered his car right and showed up the guys tha thave been here for a long time

its been this way jeff for aslong as i could remember and i joined over 10 years ago

keep up the good work buddy i'll probably come out this weekend to wire up Mikes Beamer if your gonna be around

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:15 PM
I'd say by page 4 it will get locked

Proud member since 99
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:36 PM
I cracked my oil pan on tein s-techs...circumstances are circumstances...car looks great.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:54 PM
Airgazm wrote:I cracked my oil pan on tein s-techs...circumstances are circumstances...car looks great.

Thanks dude, saw your car on stanceworks a while back, major props to you aswell.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:07 PM
Just wanted to say that I dig the car Jeff and I appreciate the custom work that went into the vehicle! Good luck with the winter project man! I hope to see some pics of the fabrication process

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:14 PM
Jeff Wybrow wrote:And congratulations, you have a cavalier. What in the hell are you putting oversized tires on it for? Offroading?

Well if you want to argue semantics, I actually have a Sunfire... And not oversized as in off road, smartass, I run 215/55/ZR16 tires. Simply because they have the wider contact patch that I want, and I don't like low-profile rubber band tires.

Anyways, have fun with your poor suspension geometry, excessive bumpsteer, and cracked/damaged components.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:42 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:HAHAHAHAHA Jeffy

welcome to the org buddy told you people would bash it because they never thought of it god forbid if a new guy lowered his car right and showed up the guys tha thave been here for a long time

its been this way jeff for aslong as i could remember and i joined over 10 years ago

keep up the good work buddy i'll probably come out this weekend to wire up Mikes Beamer if your gonna be around

feel like im back in one of coach's posts.

lowering a car right would probably involve not cracking oilpans when he drove it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:32 AM
Your @!#$ty attitude is the entire problemwith this... That and the fact that it is 100% impossible for that suspension to actually "ride decent" or have ANY travel without hitting something. But keep being naïve and snotty about "lowering it right".

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search