How to! Removeing side mouldings - Page 3 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How to! Removeing side mouldings
Tuesday, August 24, 2004 6:15 PM
Yea I have a 2004 and the tape didnt want to come off for me either. The passenger side wasnt too bad a lot of the tape came off when I pulled off the moulding but the driver side every bit of it stayed on the paint so that was a killer!! It took me 2-3 hours to do it so much peeling away and killing my fingers.... lol I can barely type <br>

RIP 3-23-05

Wednesday, August 25, 2004 5:15 AM
Heres a picture of mine without

<br>

RIP 3-23-05
Wednesday, August 25, 2004 9:39 AM
hmm, mine kinda is cloudy and doesnt exactly match the rest of the car.... what now?? <br>

Wednesday, August 25, 2004 11:38 PM
im not sure what to do now thomas sorry hopefully someone with a silver car checks it out and knows what your talking about. did you wax it?

<br>

Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:07 AM
yeah i waxed the @!#$ outta it... its only in this one area about on foot long. its not that bad, i think maybe i didnt get all the glue off? i used a sponge with mad goo gone and now it looks like i may have buffed it up? but i dont know how only in one little area and the rest is flawless? whatever ill figure it out <br>

Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:48 PM
sorry i dont know what it is. i hope you get it fixed though.

<br>

Friday, September 10, 2004 4:07 PM

so what you think is it worth it to try on my beast of *birden* ??? <br>

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time..." "for those ten seconds or less I'm free"
Tuesday, October 05, 2004 8:25 AM
Well....I did mine last night. As for taking the actual trim off, it took about 10 mins with a heat gun and pulling it off (almost like rubber, wont break). Then i heated the glue and rolled it off with my thumbs (i have NO MORE fingerprint LoL). Then i took goo gone to the glue and it all came off.

Only thing is, on the passenger side and the back of the door (towards the rear) the is a lil grey line about a foot long (where the bottom of the trim was) and goo gone will not get it off. I dont know of the paint came off or what (dont feel like it) so im gonna get my dad to buff the whole car and hopefully it will come out.

Anyways, looks totally different! <br>

Tuesday, October 05, 2004 12:55 PM
took em off a while ago and it looked gh3y so i put em back on all the 03+s just dont look right with out em on there, where on my 99 it looked good.

<br>

Tuesday, October 05, 2004 9:11 PM
Did mine 2 weekends ago. Really love the new look. Clean as hell. Unfortuanately I still have a blister the size of a dime on my thumb!!! It comes and goes every couple of days <br>

Monday, October 11, 2004 6:06 PM
Jus took mine off yesterday, took a while but definitaly worth it. It looks so smooth and sleek without em. Type-J sides are the next project.

Wide Body Progress

Monday, October 11, 2004 7:20 PM
I did mine about 2 weeks ago. All I did was pull off the molding and then rubbed off the glue. Then I buffed the doors and waxed the car. <br>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04 Cavy LS Sport
Mods: AEM CAI

Monday, January 03, 2005 9:11 PM
I have a 94 Cavalier that's black. I'm thinking about taking off the molding and the badges but I'm wondering if the paint would be a different color since it's been hidden for 10 years?

I like the idea of taking the molding off but if the paint is a different tone then it will cancel out any gains.

Anyone know about the paint, or ways to blend the color if it's a different shade short of getting a new paint job?

Thanks
Tuesday, January 04, 2005 3:44 PM
since its that old i bet you paint will be diff. cause it has been exposed to the elements. i wouldnt do it.

its always good to see one of your post come back from the dead.

<br>

Saturday, January 08, 2005 5:01 PM
There arent any holes on the mouldings? I thought there were holes drilled to hold them on...

If not, hell yeah, I'm gonna get that done in no time.
Saturday, January 08, 2005 5:14 PM
Can you use a hairdryer instead of a heatgun? Just wondering if its possible.
Saturday, January 08, 2005 6:23 PM
Ecotec, unless your mouldings are teh large plastic ones, then it is just the glue on them. If they are large and plastic, then they are held on by tabs, and will have nice open gaps all around them where the door doesnt have metal...

Rob, a hair dryer will work fine. Anything that can produce lots of heat can do it... <br>

Saturday, January 08, 2005 10:42 PM
How do I tell if they're "large plastic ones"

Let me describe: they are very round and stick out about 1/4" from the side of the car...maybe 1/3"
Sunday, January 09, 2005 10:13 PM
My car's an 03 Sedan if that helps, I'm assuming since Bomex did it that I have the same ones
Monday, January 10, 2005 10:14 AM
ECOTEC you will be fine i have an 04 coupe

<br>

Monday, January 17, 2005 7:55 PM
quick question...does this work on a sunfire gt(96) A friend of mine said it wouldn't work bc of a door piece being part of the gt skirt kit....i'm pretty much a newb to cars so don't flame me for this i'm just asking...thanks in advance
Hil <br>

Monday, January 17, 2005 8:05 PM
Big Boi wrote:took em off a while ago and it looked gh3y so i put em back on all the 03+s just dont look right with out em on there, where on my 99 it looked good.

i love the way mine looks without them. i did like it with them, but after i got one side done, i loved it and had to keep going. although i am paying the price for it now. i got a big dent on the edge of my door now you can actually see it if you look

<br>

I NEED AN 03-05 SUNFIRE FRONT END. ANY PIECE. EMAIL ME
Sunday, May 01, 2005 8:18 PM
hmmm... if i do this to my 2001 silver sunfire will i still need to wax the area under the side skirt when i'm done? and what does buffering it do when i'm done? ahhh being a newb sucks... lol.
Monday, May 02, 2005 6:09 PM
yes, after removing any emblems u have to wax the area

Sunday, May 08, 2005 6:06 PM
Wow, I've read all of the posts in this forum. My friend found it the other day and I have a 99cav z24. The side moldings looked like crap because the paint on the Z24 area was wearing off. I was going to get vinyl decals slapped over them, but thought this would be cheaper and look better than buying $150 set of 2 2"x6" decals. Fishing line worked great, aside from stapping it about 20 times. I felt that the hair dryer didn't really do anything. Also, I used gloves that I didn't care if they got ruined, which they did, but it saved a lot of thumb pain. Still, not a great feeling in the hands right now. Got a nasty yellow spont near the end of the door about a foot long where the bottom of the molding was, sounds like a few others had this happen too. Best color description I have is it looks like a wall in a room where someone was smoking. I'll have it buffed and see what it does. I used goo gone and found it works better if you leave it on for about 5min before you start rubbing, though I was anxious to get it done. But, it gave me time to have a smoke in the middle of doing everything. Everything took me about 2hr with a friend. But, we were farting around doing other stuff at the same time. If you go straight though it should only take about 1/2 hr. End look is very sweet! I suggest it to anyone who can do it!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search