How to! Removeing side mouldings - Page 4 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How to! Removeing side mouldings
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:43 AM
I have a 97 cavalier, white.....I want to take the side molding off, but what about the undercolor? Anyone have a similar year and has done this?

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:42 PM
look back through the post i think someone did. not sure though its been awhile since i saw this post.

if you car has been very well taken care of then you might be ok but i doubt it. im sure your paint has changed since 97.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:32 PM
In all honesty, the previous owners took really good care, and the touch-up paint is an exact match. I might do the little one on the fender to see how it is, then I can always glue it back.

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:59 PM
i want to pull my moldings off so bad....but im worried that the body shop didnt paint underneath them.....

if i pull them off how hard is it to put them back on?

Thursday, November 10, 2005 5:25 PM
I just took off my mouldings. i used the fishing line. but i didnt use googone. i used "oops". it worked just as well. I also took off the front and rear chevy emblems. it all looks great. i proceeded to paint my door handles the same color as the car. the mirrors are next. so far so good. ( 2.2l 2 dr cavalier)
Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:11 PM
hey 97cavy22 im sorry i dont know how hard it is to put back on.

i love it when this comes back from the dead

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 1:08 PM
i have a white 98Z....i just did the lil "Z24" peice on the driver side last night...used fishing line and 3M adhesive remover...anyways...
NO ONE has answered this one...i read through it all and didnt see an ANSWER..
the paint underneath is kinda an off-white yellow...i tried waxing it several times...DID NOTHING.... is this yellow-color acctually DIRT? *EXPERTS* do you think if i buff it it will come out? rubbing compound? wet sanding?!?!? this sucks, i was soooooooo looking forward to shaving these ugly things off
please help me!!!!!

Black 97' Z24
Blacked Out and Lovin' It...
"Z Yaaaa"
Tuesday, April 18, 2006 1:57 PM
I removed my moldings last weekend. 99 Sunfire vert. white and the color underneath seems to be brighter than the rest of the car. I also noticed that whoever painted the car sprayed the clear over the molding and I can't figure out a good way to transition the edges off the clear. Any advice on making the colors match a little better?

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:53 AM
My girlfriend has an '02 sunfire that she would like to remove the moldings on. The car is red, any good guesses if the paint difference will be noticable, or if there are holes at all underneath it? If it helps I can grab a picture to show which moldings I'm talking about.
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 6:20 PM
No holes...paint should be a perfect match. At least it was on my '96 Fire that I did Tuesday. I'll get a picture tomarrow.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 12:07 AM
Not to doubt thevilliagemon but can anyone else confirm that there will be no holes behind these mouldings?

Saturday, April 29, 2006 9:28 AM
If it is a GT maybe. If it is just a regular sunfire then no.

-Brandon

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 6:11 PM
I'm not sure why they would have them screwed in since they didn't have it on the older models. I don't own an '03, but the Cavy guys don't have holes behind theres either. A few days latem but here's the finished product...

Sunday, September 03, 2006 12:05 PM
im so angry .. I went to take off my side molding and it came off fine but their where bubbles under the driver side door molding. This is such a disapontment.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:36 PM
Would you reccommend removing the side moldings from a 98? I removed the badges on the trunk and hood already. The trunk looked fine afterwards but the hood (which has quite a few wear, like pits and really small pebble sized chips from road debris and whatnot) the bowtie on the hood left it's mark. Nothing too noticable just the outline of it, under the badge the paint was definitely better, more glossy. You can see where the badge was if you're in the right position with the right amount of light on the hood.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 7:03 PM
Lance Sharpe wrote:Would you reccommend removing the side moldings from a 98? I removed the badges on the trunk and hood already. The trunk looked fine afterwards but the hood (which has quite a few wear, like pits and really small pebble sized chips from road debris and whatnot) the bowtie on the hood left it's mark. Nothing too noticable just the outline of it, under the badge the paint was definitely better, more glossy. You can see where the badge was if you're in the right position with the right amount of light on the hood.

I took my hood badge off a few minutes ago and have the same thing. The paint is the same color, but looking at where the badge was from the right angle I can see where it was, the clearcoat wasn't weathered or something. the color matches spot on though. Is there a way to blend it in? Maybe with a buffer and some very mild polishing compound? Thanks.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:34 PM
i did remove the badges and mouldings on my silver 2000 sunfire sedan and it's great. There is no color difference. After i removed the tape and mouldings i used this exterior gloss preserver. I also removed the red lettering Pontiac where the trunk is at between the two brake lights. I also removed the pontiac symbol where the front bumper is. It looks sweet!

2003 F150 Harley
2003 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe

Saturday, June 16, 2007 12:06 AM
i had the same question about the 96 sunfire gt's go to this forum to see pics of what it looks like under the molding...gt side molding
Sunday, June 17, 2007 7:20 AM
LOL this has to be the oldest active thread on this forum!!! Its seriously 3 years old!

Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:17 PM
Just read through, and nobody really answered this.
I have an '01 Z24, black, Will the paint underneath be a different color?
I always wash and wax the car if that makes any difference.
Thursday, November 08, 2007 7:02 PM
I removed all moldings and badges on my 98 and color was just fine,no fading at all.Washed the car and waxed it,looks fine.I did this last year and it still looks good.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"

Friday, March 07, 2008 1:23 PM
let's make it four years old!

going to do it on my 00 coupe
Friday, March 07, 2008 11:49 PM
sorry to necropost, but my side moulding saved my door lol.

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Saturday, March 08, 2008 2:44 PM
I took mine off with a screw driver. I poked it underneath, grabed the end and hauled. The paint underneath was better then the rest, but i put sunfire gt sides on, and it covered it all up. Im painting the car soon aswell. If you're going to paint your car, this it is the perfect time to do so. If you're not going to paint your car, you will have a mismatch between the colors/clears about 95% of the time. Consider yourself very lucky if you cant tell the difference.
Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:09 PM
When doing mine I cooked the fishing line. So I grabbed the Flexable plastic scrapers I bought to use with the 3M glue remover. They worked better the the fishing line taking off more of the foam to start. The 3M Woodgrian and Stripe Adhesive Remover works goot too. It says to let sit 3 to 5 min and it jells so it stays where you need it and aids in the scraping. the scrapers were 95 cent for the one inch wide and like 1.05 for the 1 1/2 inch wide. I used 3 in total but you might wont more to to you might melt one or two.

Build it, Beat the wee out of it, brake it so you have a reason to put more one into it =P
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search