Buy me a new car mommy/daddy - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Buy me a new car mommy/daddy
Thursday, August 11, 2005 7:44 AM on j-body.org
Thanks Gary

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 9:54 AM on j-body.org
I have my reasons for not:

First and foremost, in Washington, you can't legally own the car until you're 18. As such, the car would be mine, not my child's. If my child pays for it, then ther would be the stipulation tnat when they turn 18 i sign it over to them no matter what. if not, it's still my car.

Still, even though what Brett says is true, if nothign else, make them pay back for it--just like when i was 18 my dad charged me rent--not because he needed it, but it was a "buying my independence". the more towards 1/3 of the rent (me, my dad, and my bro), the more my room became my own place that i could do whatever in.

But i don't think driving, gettting a license, or getting a car is a rite of passage--it's a privelidge, not a right.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, August 11, 2005 10:10 AM on j-body.org
Keeper sometimes I want to hug you!

Thursday, August 11, 2005 10:58 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope- I know your not trying to start something with me.....this is the war forum and all we are doing here is stating our opinions.....no grudges or hate towards anyone here. Im not taking offense, I may be a litlle dramatic but not taking offense or taking it personally.....lol.

I just don't agree with you and your ways one bit. At first you talk about a vette that was bought for a 16 yr old then you jump to parents buying their kids a car then you jump back to buying an expensive car for their kid.......I don't know what your trying to accomplish here.

But I want you to admit to something here......

Can you honestly say that buying you kid a car whether its a 45,000 car or a 500 dollar car is gonna hurt them in the long run? Do you think that a kid is gonna not know the value of the dollar. Can you honestly say that a kid who has a nice car bought for him/her is not gonna learn responsability?

You jump around to much in this thread....seems like you have a problem with parents buying their kids a car period!

Quote:

O.k. this makes me sick! Some little snot just got a nice new yellow corvette from

Quote:

I'm not saying it as an income issue, I'm saying it as an I.Q. issue. Rich, poor, whatever. What I'm getting at is that the kids don't learn any respect for money or the car that was bought for them.

To me and I repeat, to me it seems like you have an issue with parents buying their kids a car, thats all.

But anyways, no hate, no offense taken bro. We all chose are ways of raising our kids when it comes down to it. And yes, I hope my kids turn out well.

Alex
Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:19 AM on j-body.org
Cool, no hard feelings here either. I don't jump around at all I made the statement that Kids should not be handed things on a silver platter. The Vette thing just pissed me off
the kid was totaly indifferent to it. Like it didn't matter, No thanks dad or anything. That
to me screams spoiled brat. I also said I have no problem with them being helped by mom or dad, but helping and giveing are two different things. Might I use an old quote to possibly better relate what I'm trying to say.

" Do not give a hungry man fish for tomorrow he will be hungry again. Rather teach him
how to fish so he can provide for himself "

I think that best sums it up. Help them if they need help because they are your children and you love them but do not give it to them because they won't learn from it.

And I noticed how you forgot to hope my kids turn out Ok. Thats Ok no hard feelings.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:22 AM on j-body.org
So where in your opinion should parents draw the line?

Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:28 AM on j-body.org
Alexander Andrade wrote:
Can you honestly say that buying you kid a car whether its a 45,000 car or a 500 dollar car is gonna hurt them in the long run? Do you think that a kid is gonna not know the value of the dollar. Can you honestly say that a kid who has a nice car bought for him/her is not gonna learn responsability?Alex

Alex I know you directed this towards Jackalope, but I just had to jump in and give you my opinion on the statement. I can honestly say YES. I have seen too many kids that take it for granted when mommie & daddy buy them a car. They have no respect for other peoples property. The reason; they have not had to work hard to earn the money to buy the car themselves. I have seen this in all the states I have lived in. Let me tell you, I have lived in 7 different states. It's all the same no matter which state I was in.

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:43 AM on j-body.org
Sorry pork chop but I don't quite follow.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 3:08 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope......I DO hope your kids turn out well....and if they can put up an argument like their dad then the world should watch out.....lol.
Thursday, August 11, 2005 5:48 PM on j-body.org
My dad bought me my car when I was 15.....and why? Because I was 15 and couldnt buy it myself. When my bro was a teenager he bought him a camaro...and for my birthday this year I'm getting a new car and or truck so i obviously have no problems with kids getting cars from their parents
Thursday, August 11, 2005 6:03 PM on j-body.org
Thanks man you know I was only joking I hope. We could go at this for ever and not get anywhere so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 7:13 PM on j-body.org
If people werent entitled to their own opinions and had the right to express them then this wouldnt be america
Friday, August 12, 2005 3:58 AM on j-body.org
jackalope wrote:Thanks man you know I was only joking I hope. We could go at this for ever and not get anywhere so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Finally....we agree on something....lol!

I am not premium yet so we CAN'T go at this forever...lol!
Friday, August 12, 2005 4:57 AM on j-body.org
LOL

Friday, August 12, 2005 8:02 AM on j-body.org
Starry wrote:My dad bought me my car when I was 15.....and why? Because I was 15 and couldnt buy it myself. When my bro was a teenager he bought him a camaro...and for my birthday this year I'm getting a new car and or truck so i obviously have no problems with kids getting cars from their parents

Must be nice...

Friday, August 12, 2005 6:16 PM on j-body.org
snoeterp82 wrote:
Starry wrote:My dad bought me my car when I was 15.....and why? Because I was 15 and couldnt buy it myself. When my bro was a teenager he bought him a camaro...and for my birthday this year I'm getting a new car and or truck so i obviously have no problems with kids getting cars from their parents

Must be nice...

Yeah.........it is.

It's a four banger, you gotta bang it four times to get it goin'....
Friday, August 12, 2005 6:34 PM on j-body.org
Psycho_Love wrote:My dad bought me my car when I was 15.....and why? Because I was 15 and couldnt buy it myself. When my bro was a teenager he bought him a camaro...and for my birthday this year I'm getting a new car and or truck so i obviously have no problems with kids getting cars from their parents

Wait, you got a cavalier and your brother got a camaro?

Man, you got the shaft!

Saturday, August 13, 2005 9:07 AM on j-body.org
pork chop: i agree with you half of the way.....at the very least i will help my kids buy a car. more than likely i will buy the car for them (a cheap-o) and help them fix it up. my idea is that they dont need a new car, but not a POS rusted up beater either. a car no more than 8-10 years old should suffice quite nicely. my first car was a 93 ford festiva, when i was 18. i bought it off of my mom for $800. fuel efficient, but not enough power to kill myself in.

i dont know where to draw the line exactly, but when my kids are in high school, they wont need a nice car. its really that simple. 9 times out of 10 a 16yr old is not responsible enough for a car. and when they dont have to work for that car, then there isnt anything to teach them responsibility. now im not saying that every kid is going to be irresponsible....that depends on what theyve been taught by their parents, peer pressure, how much they drive the car, etc. but the fact is that MOST kids arent mature enough or responsible enough to own a nice car while in high school.

my little brother will turn 16 next summer. ive been looking around for a nice little car to get for him. im looking for a 95+ j, neon, civic or whatever for him. the price range should be around $500....it doesnt even need to be driveable/have a motor. the idea is to help him fix it up. he really wants to fix up his car with a kit/hood/etc like he has seen his big brother do. i think that is great and i am more than willing to help him. but the idea is to allow him to put as much blood, sweat, tears, time and money into his car so that when it is finally driveable, he will be careful with it. he will respect the effort that it took to do a motor swap, install a body kit, save up for rims, etc.

i think its important to teach our kids (or little brother) the value of money, the effort that goes into working and saving for something, the time and effort in working on a car...working for something that you want. i feel that it will allow the kid to have a greater appreciation for what they have. and as long as you are there standing beside them as they do it instead of just tossing them out on their own, i think they will respect you for it.

GAM: thats EXACTLY what im talking about. the whole "do you know who I AM?" thing is what kills me. we had kids like that in high school. when your graduating class is around 60 people, of course i know who you are. but i dont care who you are. just because your daddy bought you a cool new camaro doesnt make you any more special than anyone else. then they grow up still thinking and saying that....thinking that they are something special and expecting special treatment. that sort of egotism (not to mention the extreme irresponsibility) tends to piss me off.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 9:59 PM on j-body.org
Pork Chop Sandwiches!!! wrote:
Psycho_Love wrote:My dad bought me my car when I was 15.....and why? Because I was 15 and couldnt buy it myself. When my bro was a teenager he bought him a camaro...and for my birthday this year I'm getting a new car and or truck so i obviously have no problems with kids getting cars from their parents

Man, you got the shaft!

Yes i did and it sucks biggins, but i picked out the cav lol..anyways I'm gettin a gto or something along those lines soon lol

Sunday, August 14, 2005 12:56 AM on j-body.org
Psycho_Love wrote:
snoeterp82 wrote:

Must be nice...

Yeah.........it is.

Im sorry, but you sound like a prissy bitch with that response.

Psycho_Love wrote:
Pork Chop Sandwiches!!! wrote:

Man, you got the shaft!

Yes i did and it sucks biggins, but i picked out the cav lol..anyways I'm gettin a gto or something along those lines soon lol

Boo @!#$in' hoo...I only got a cavy...waahhhhhh

And btw, I am not jealous so dont even think about making that into an arguement...there are more important things in life to get upset about. My whole deal is the PRINCIPLE of buying a kid a car...those who put their own hard earned money into their cars, appreciate them more. You obviously dont with that comment that you made above...

Sunday, August 14, 2005 11:08 AM on j-body.org
/\ /\ /\ Shes right. You waiving yours keys in her face going NA NA NA NA just proves my point about spoiled brats better then I ever could have. Thank You for helping prove my point.

See this is the attiude I was talking about the whole time. HA HA I"m better then you cause my daddy bought me a car and you suck cause your daddy didn't buy you one.

Point Proved Thank You .

Sunday, August 14, 2005 12:04 PM on j-body.org
I never said I was better than anyone....and sorry if i came across spoiled and bitchy...and for the record, I've paid for every single frickin mod i've done to my car with my hard earned money...just because my parents are well off does not mean i don't work for what i have...i work for frickin 4 bucks an hour and i greatly appreciate the fact that my parents bought me a car

Monday, August 15, 2005 12:04 AM on j-body.org
not to be rude....but paying for the mods on your car is nothing compared to buying the car. whats $1000 on a $15000 car? not much..... and if you arent paying for the car, then that just means you have that much $ to put into it. you should try to mod your car while paying for the car, gas, insurance, rent, utilities, school, etc.

and you say youre parents are going to get a new GTO for you soon? the MSRP on one is $33k. youre still 17 and your parents are going to toss a $33K car your way? yes....this is exactly what we have been talking about. i doubt you have learned any semblance of responsibility from the whole debacle. if you disagree, please enlighten us.

Quote:

just because my parents are well off does not mean i don't work for what i have...

youre parents bought you a new car when you were 15....and are about to buy you a new $33k car and youre still 17? yes, your parents being well off DOES mean that you dont work for what you have. that should be quite obvious.

Monday, August 15, 2005 2:13 AM on j-body.org
CavFire.com (tabasco) wrote:. whats $1000 on a $15000 car? .

The car was 6K used, almost 2 years old when i got it...and it pretty much just sat for a year until i turned 16 and got my permit, but since said permit, all car maintenance has been me...as with everything else...lets see where to begin...fuel injector($450 with labor) o2 sensor, fuel filter, every oil change, every tune up, every tank of gas, insurance..that about takes care of the car, now how about everything else in life...I pay for all my clothes, all my food, I paid all my high school tuition and books (You could call it a private school) I pay the cable bill every month, cell phone bills (yes, 2 of them) Half of all pool maintenance fees, water bill, and all the road trips my 2 best friends I take....just because I did not buy my car does not mean that I'm irresponsible, nor does it mean you are better or more responsible than me...thats the antithesis of logic....who pays for what isn't what really matters, I don't care if the pope, the president or bill cosby bought your car, if you don't take care of it and treat it with respect than you are irresponsible. And I am by no means trying to say I'm better than you because my daddy bought my car, I'm just saying that the fact that you bought yours does not give you license to flame on me because I didn't. I cant say I know a single person around my age who has bought their own car...*shrugs* but maybe i live in an odd spoiled little place...time to end my horridly long post and leave so you can further trash me...

Monday, August 15, 2005 2:40 AM on j-body.org
Parents want what's best for their kid. They also want them to learn responsiblity. I'm not going to say anything about who paid for my car but I pay insurance, gas, maintenance, and mods. My parents claim that as long as I live with them they're the ones who have to pay for my needs (toothpaste, clothing, food...) and as much as I'd like to argue, it saves me some money. Just because someone's parents are better off doesn't mean their kids are completely irresponsible. But if parents are irresponsible enough to buy their kids an expensive car that they know they'll be paying the insurance on, the kid's bound to be irresponsible. If the kid is responsible enough then sure, he's welcome to owning a nice car. There's a kid around here that's probably 20 or so and he works for his father. Drives a 2003 Corvette and owns a few old Camaros (nicely tuned too). Is he spoiled? No. So can we quit complaining when someone on JBO got their car bought for them? If they're responsible, good. If they're stupid, may they learn responsibility.

Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search