Speak english or GTFO! - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Speak english or GTFO!
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:18 AM on j-body.org
[quote=¤§Fallen Angel§¤]However... those to do not wish to even TRY to learn English... should GTFO. They came here... we should NOT have to conform to them.

Like my previously mentioned Grandma? She's not trying at all.

Before we go any further with this discussion, who here is fluent in another language? Fluent meaning reading, writing, speaking in a passable way.

I myself can only speak another language but cannot read or write. It's difficult to learn a language as difficult as English (which I hear is the hardest or second hardest language to learn).

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:22 AM on j-body.org
Rodimus Prime wrote:I am so sick and tired of @!#$ people that cannot speak the language of this country, you live here, its your responsiblity to know it, you shouldnt be allowed in to live as a resident unless you know it, this is one issue im far to the right on. Call it conservative whatever. There is far too much ease on this issue. And most of all what irritates me is when these people that dont speak it get mad at you because they dont know how to communicate effectively

I think it's a non-issue. Immigrants typically struggle or ignore the language. Their children however are almost always good or great english speakers. Pop culture demands they know the language.

Further, if you don't want to deal with a non-english speaker, don't.

I made the mistake recently of getting my hair cut by a spanish-speaking barber. I'm Mexican but don't speak spanish. I got my hair cut wrong. Ooops. My bad, not hers. I should of asked for the black guy I like.

---

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:30 AM on j-body.org
i agree 110%

Tell me honesly when you go to anoter country, say on vacation, do you expect the people in that country to speak your language? NO! you learn their language, you learn about thier laws, and you learn about thier social norms before you go.

I dunno but it really pisses me off when there is someone here that doesnt speak a lick of english. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. And the worst part of it is that i am a CJ major planning on being a cop and im going to have to deal with all this bull@!#$ all the time

Later
David

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:44 AM on j-body.org
I'm not so much against people that don't speak english in the US, but I am absolutely PISSED at companies that hire people in the service industry that speak very poor or broken english.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:48 AM on j-body.org
but the difference in other countries is that take spain for instance, spanish is the official lanugage, it is understood and expected that everyone in spain knows spanish. english is the predominant language in america, but not the official one, go to a border town in texas or california and tell me that english is predominant there, you'll find that if you don't know spanish your SOL, like i said, if they don't want to learn english thats fine, but im not gonna learn spanish, so if they want a service from me, well, sorry but i can't communicate with you. so learning english is not required, but sure is a help if they want to be successful in america

oh and it can't be that hard to learn enough english to get by, my friend joined the army from puerto rico and couldn't speak a word of english, by the time he left basic he knew enough to get by, now he's pretty good at it, even writes it good

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:29 AM on j-body.org
In my junior year in High School (In my third year of Spanish), I worked at the only truck stop between Baltimore, MD and Harrisburg, PA. We had a tour bus come in... people visiting the US from Brazil.

I thought they were speaking spanish... I was the ONLY one in the store that spoke anything but English at all. I assisted them all as best as I could... then the last lady came up to my register with a smile on her face. She told me that they actually were from Brazil and spoke Portuguese (sp?). I was kind of embarassed, but she told me not to be. She said she could understand what I was saying, and was impressed that I was trying to help out the tourists (she was the only one who could speak English). My manager thanked me for saving the day lol.

If you're just a tourist... ok, that's understandable. You're elderly... yeah it's going to be really tough to learn English.

But for the majority of immigrants, they are young enough to at least learn SOME English... enough to communicate effectivly with... there's no excuse to not even try.

I used to be able to understand and communicate pretty well in Spanish, but I took my last Spanish class back in 1998, and haven't really gotten to speak it enough to retain everything in my memory. If I ever went to a Spanish speaking country, I might be able to get by...but I'd have my English to SPanish book handy I.e. I wouldn't expect them to speak English just because I came there. IMHO... it's disrespectful to a country to go there and not to at least try to communicate in their major language.

AT LEAST TRY!!!

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:32 AM on j-body.org
i agree, they should make an effort to learn engish to make their life easy, but we can't force them, espceially when they move into these border towns where everyone speaks another language

Hail Satan

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:48 AM on j-body.org
mikec2003 wrote:by the time he left basic he knew enough to get by, now he's pretty good at it, even writes it good

He's better than you at it I see.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:53 AM on j-body.org
....Ignorance.....

I speak three languages, Bosnian (mother language), German and English.

I've lived here in NY for 6 years now with my family...My brother and I are fluent in English, however, my parents are still struggling with it. They try to speak it, but it's not really easy to make room in your brain for another language at 45 years old. They have enough knowledge to carry on a converstaion etc, however their grammer is not great.

I want to see all of you go to another country at 45-70 years old and try to learn a language in 3-6 MONTHS. That is freaking ridiculous. It's IMPOSSIBLE for someone but a adolescent to learn it good that quick.

So before you go running your mouth, seriously, think how long it would take you to learn another langue. A big chunk of the American population cannot even spell correctly. My Economics professor at my university asked me to help him spell "refrigerator" the other day, he didn't know how to do it.

I think you should worry about the next generation's education in English, Math and Science before you worry about a 50 year old immigrant's pronounciation and grammer knowledge. Worry about the kids using slang that nobody can understand. Worry about inner city kids writing "i is going home" in their school papers.

Seems like they need to make cultural diversity course a necessary subject in high school, maybe more people would understand it.

Who the @!#$ are you to tell my parents (who are naturalized American citizens) that they should get the @!#$ out? Do they bother you? Is your brain so tiny that you cannot understand that people are diverse, and they cannot change something about themselves so fast?

This is what bothers ME about America, and this is why I am getting the @!#$ out in 2 years. Ignorance, you would never see this @!#$ happening in a cultural diverse and culturally educated city like Amsterdam, Berlin, London...etc...

Flame on.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:29 AM on j-body.org
A had this same discussion at school last night. I can not @!#$ stand it when I am asking the lab tech. at school for something and he has no @!#$ idea what i am talking about. He has lived here for 7 some years and he still can not speak or understand the English language. There are also many people from other countries in m classes and the ask the teacher a question in there native language and most of the time the teacher answers back in their language. I ask the same question, and he tells me that is just answered that question. How I am suppose to know what he @!#$ said.

If you are in the united states you should speak English, it is @!#$ un-called-for..

I understand if older people don't know the language the move here, that is understandable.

One last thing that pisses me off more than anything is when I am in the hallway at school and people are talking in English till i walk near them, then the talk in their native language. That just plan pisses me off.

Well i feel better now.....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:32 AM on j-body.org
UpstateNyZ24 wrote:....Ignorance.....

I speak three languages, Bosnian (mother language), German and English.

I've lived here in NY for 6 years now with my family...My brother and I are fluent in English, however, my parents are still struggling with it. They try to speak it, but it's not really easy to make room in your brain for another language at 45 years old. They have enough knowledge to carry on a converstaion etc, however their grammer is not great.

I want to see all of you go to another country at 45-70 years old and try to learn a language in 3-6 MONTHS. That is freaking ridiculous. It's IMPOSSIBLE for someone but a adolescent to learn it good that quick.

So before you go running your mouth, seriously, think how long it would take you to learn another langue. A big chunk of the American population cannot even spell correctly. My Economics professor at my university asked me to help him spell "refrigerator" the other day, he didn't know how to do it.

I think you should worry about the next generation's education in English, Math and Science before you worry about a 50 year old immigrant's pronounciation and grammer knowledge. Worry about the kids using slang that nobody can understand. Worry about inner city kids writing "i is going home" in their school papers.

Seems like they need to make cultural diversity course a necessary subject in high school, maybe more people would understand it.

Who the @!#$ are you to tell my parents (who are naturalized American citizens) that they should get the @!#$ out? Do they bother you? Is your brain so tiny that you cannot understand that people are diverse, and they cannot change something about themselves so fast?

This is what bothers ME about America, and this is why I am getting the @!#$ out in 2 years. Ignorance, you would never see this @!#$ happening in a cultural diverse and culturally educated city like Amsterdam, Berlin, London...etc...

Flame on.

Something I can finally somewhat agree to.

Look, the reason spanish speaking people do not learn the English language is because they surround themselves around spanish speaking communities, plain and simple! They work with hispanics, live with hispanics and go out with hispanics, absolutely nothing wrong with that! Its been going on for generations.

I don't think that anyone who comes to this country should be forced or told to learn the language here. It is up to them to learn it if they feel it's beneficial to them and their future. If they can get by life not speaking english while living here so be it.

I also think we got some slight racism going on in here! Not gonna mention names because I cannot point anyone out but I feel a little racism!

Thanks you!

Alex

Puerto Rican/Colombian/Brazilian!

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:47 AM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:
mikec2003 wrote:by the time he left basic he knew enough to get by, now he's pretty good at it, even writes it good

He's better than you at it I see.

yup, thats true, i suck at writing in english, you think my typing is bad, take a look at my handwriting, thats why i type everything, thank god for spell check and grammar check

Hail Satan

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 11:03 AM on j-body.org
Well, we may not be able to force them, but we sure as hell shouldn't accomodate them by forcing everything into multilingual. In other words--do what most other countries do: Everything's in the language of the locale, and unless you know it, or have a translator, you're SOL.

Hell, My G/F is fluent in her native tongue of Slovak (and thus, could be considered Fluent in Czech), Fluent in English, Fluent in german, and knows a bit of russian. I figured it's the least i could do when i go over there to try to be able to somewhat speak slovak--more than the "Yes, No, Please, Thank You, Hello, Hi, Goodbye, Good Morning, Good Day, Good Afternoon, Good night, I miss you, I love you, honey (term of endearment), addressing her parents properly, and "Hey you gypsy f*ck! Give me back my wallet or I'll tell George Bush that there's oil underneath your camp!!!"

okay, so i'm lying about the last one. but still, If i'm trying to show her country that not all americans are complete and utter toe-rags like our government comes off as, the least i could do is at least *try* for their language as opposed to ranting out loud at why they can't speak english...

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:52 PM on j-body.org
FstCavZ24 (Turbo ECO) wrote:I'm not so much against people that don't speak english in the US, but I am absolutely PISSED at companies that hire people in the service industry that speak very poor or broken english.

That's my view on it.

If you can't speak english don't be in a service industry. You can be anything you want. But if it takes me more than 5 minutes to buy a coke at McDonalds, something is very wrong.

For Example. Just the other day I wanted a Bacon Egg and Cheese McGriddel. What did I get, a f'n Bacon egg and Cheese Bagel. The only sound they have in comon is the g and the l.

*pissed about the @!#$y bagel he got, McGriddles are so much tastier*

-Chris

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:57 PM on j-body.org
IamRascal wrote:
FstCavZ24 (Turbo ECO) wrote:I'm not so much against people that don't speak english in the US, but I am absolutely PISSED at companies that hire people in the service industry that speak very poor or broken english.

That's my view on it.

If you can't speak english don't be in a service industry. You can be anything you want. But if it takes me more than 5 minutes to buy a coke at McDonalds, something is very wrong.

For Example. Just the other day I wanted a Bacon Egg and Cheese McGriddel. What did I get, a f'n Bacon egg and Cheese Bagel. The only sound they have in comon is the g and the l.

*pissed about the @!#$y bagel he got, McGriddles are so much tastier*

Thats bull crap man! I ordered a Wendys BLT salad yesterday for luch and the WHITE CAUCASION girl gave me a Mandarin chicken salad.

Bad friggin example bro....sorry but not valid!

Everyone knows any fast food service you get more than likely your order is gonna get screwed up! White/black/jewis/spanish....doesn't matter!
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:28 PM on j-body.org
^^ I have to agree. The McD's around the corner is staffed by 90% white and they get my order wrong 90% of the time.

I mean how hard is two #1's and two Hamburger Happy Meals? Dumbfkrs.

---

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:32 PM on j-body.org
...that's when you go back, order a a bladder-buster sized drink, and something trivial, and then...

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!!

Creds to CKY on that one.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 2:34 PM on j-body.org
...I agree with the people who said that people in the service industry should definitely learn to speak the predominant language in the country.

I am fluent in three languages: english (i was born in North Carolina), Mandarin Chinese (my father's language: Nie Hao.), and Spanish, which I learned in high school (bienvenidos a mis primos hispanos). I am office manager in a hispanic dominant community, and I speak Spanish probably 5 hours a day. It is pretty ridiculous, in my point of view, to walk or drive to a fast food place, i.e., and have the non-english speaking employee butcher my order b/c they dont speak english. thank God I speak Spanish, though sometimes this still doesnt help. I have no problem at all with immigrants being in htis country, but I do have a problem with people who cannot perform their job requirements properly, whether it be a language barrier, intelligence handicap, or otherwise. if they cannot perform their job properly, they should find another job that doesnt require english to be spoken...or they can bite the bullet and do what my father did. My father came to this country when he was freakin 28 years old, never having spoke english. mind you, this is A GROWN MAN. Now, 30 years later, he speaks english very well, with just a hint of an asian accent. if my father can do it, coming here with nothing, others can at least try. I know if I moved, for whatever reason, to a foreign country, id learn the customs and languages real quick, instead of going everywhere for years saying, ummm, you speak english?

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 2:45 PM on j-body.org
soul horse wrote:...I agree with the people who said that people in the service industry should definitely learn to speak the predominant language in the country.

I am fluent in three languages: english (i was born in North Carolina), Mandarin Chinese (my father's language: Nie Hao.), and Spanish, which I learned in high school (bienvenidos a mis primos hispanos). I am office manager in a hispanic dominant community, and I speak Spanish probably 5 hours a day. It is pretty ridiculous, in my point of view, to walk or drive to a fast food place, i.e., and have the non-english speaking employee butcher my order b/c they dont speak english. thank God I speak Spanish, though sometimes this still doesnt help. I have no problem at all with immigrants being in htis country, but I do have a problem with people who cannot perform their job requirements properly, whether it be a language barrier, intelligence handicap, or otherwise. if they cannot perform their job properly, they should find another job that doesnt require english to be spoken...or they can bite the bullet and do what my father did. My father came to this country when he was freakin 28 years old, never having spoke english. mind you, this is A GROWN MAN. Now, 30 years later, he speaks english very well, with just a hint of an asian accent. if my father can do it, coming here with nothing, others can at least try. I know if I moved, for whatever reason, to a foreign country, id learn the customs and languages real quick, instead of going everywhere for years saying, ummm, you speak english?

You guys have it all wrong! Bytch at the owners, the managers and such. To complain about the individual itself is retarded. They shouldn't get another job, you all should find another place to eat! If you dont like it then write a letter! For every non english speaking person that tries to take your order means 1 less non speaking person taking your hard earned money in taxes used for welfare! Think about it like that! At least they are trying to work!
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:10 PM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:[quote=¤§Fallen Angel§¤]However... those to do not wish to even TRY to learn English... should GTFO. They came here... we should NOT have to conform to them.

Like my previously mentioned Grandma? She's not trying at all.

Before we go any further with this discussion, who here is fluent in another language? Fluent meaning reading, writing, speaking in a passable way.

I myself can only speak another language but cannot read or write. It's difficult to learn a language as difficult as English (which I hear is the hardest or second hardest language to learn).

Glace: I speak, read and write french (not with fluency, my vocabulary is pathetic) and speak Gaelic fluently (My relatives spoke a different dialect).

And as for those of you whining about McDonalds: what the hell are you doing eating at a greasy spoon to begin with? Their Salad dressing has as many calories as a BIG MAC!

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:31 PM on j-body.org
Hey, my biggestn complaint is tech support and customer service...

But then again, i get WASPs that are about as clued in on technology as the average "hacker" is clued in to their own B.O.

My big complaint, though is if i can't get across what i'm trying to get at, how could they help me?

But then again i'm just the kind of prick that will say screw you, return the product, and buy from somewhere else.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:47 PM on j-body.org
Like I said... I have NO problems with people comming here and TRYING to learn. I don't care if their vocabulary isn't the greatest... they tried their best to learn English... and I respect that.

I also said... I understand an elderly person not speaking English... I UNDERSTAND THAT

Thirdly... No other country is going to accomodate an American in their country that cannot speak their language. If we went to... let's say... Switzerland... and we couldn't speak thier language... they're not going to rush out and start printing everything in English because we're there. My Nephew and his wife have lived in Switzerland for years now... so I do know that they weren't "accomodated" like we do immigrants here.

All I ask is that they try. I do not think that is too much to ask. If a bunch of us went to China and practically demanded they speak English because we're there... I don't think they'd like that too much... it would probably be rather insulting...

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:42 PM on j-body.org
i agree, but while we are cleaning house.... lets clean it all out...

-overweight people....stop getting overweight from neglect and blaming it on others. why should i have to be sympathic to your needs when i am working in a store and your fat arse is rollin around in the handi scooter cause you are too lazy to walk and drop a pound or two.

-old people still living at home with parents, if you arent helping out like medical reasons or financial for your parents well being, you are probably being a burden. get up off your arse, pay your bills and move out. start living on your own away from home and "be american". oh yea, i have some uncles like this as well.

-desperate people... stop resorting to being "EMO" because you are sad your last girl left you. dress snazzy, find a new girl, get some booties, be in love again. vice versa for girls, homosexuals, etc.

-mentally insecure. stop complaining that you are ugly, fat, unwanted etc.... girl, you are 5'7 and 115's. quitcherbishin about you being fat. ugly maybe...ok.... but deal with it. concentrate on being pretty inside and more people will be attracted. goes for guys, transsexuals, midgets, and all sorts.

-on welfare.....4 EVOOOORRRRRRRR! get off of it, the person who came here not speaking english got a job. so can you. swallow your pride like you or your girl were swallowing.....well you know why you have 8 kids by the age of 22..... get up off your rump and work. even part time can earn you something. and the more you work, the less time you have to complain.

-people who drop out of school. suck it up puddin. go back get your ged... its not only the people who come from other countries that cant speak english. granted no one here speaks proper english 100% of the time, atleast shoot for 80% thats around a C average from all the schools i;ve been to. theres been just as many with ghetto slang as there are what most around here consider "white trash" that pronounce DUNDALK MARYLAND as DUH DALK MARE-LAN (schaeffer dodge on joppa road, call the parts department. i;ve been there in person)

-last for now, but def not least, for every person who claims they cant find a job....BOOSHEET! i'm working two. for fun really. i feel like having extra cash and i feel like eating alot of meat. mainly this week is king crab legs. if i can secure a part time and a full time, anyone can attain atleast a part time. stop complaining why you cant mod your car, cant go to college, cant move away from home, cant take your girl out, cant wash your balls at night or day for that matter cause you dont have any soap...

dont hate on bob maharishio and nabooboo jenkins cause they dont speak english, especially when you are too lazy to further yourself and move ahead. as long as they are making an effort to work, they are making an effort to learn the language. it wont be as quick as it was for you, but they will learn. cant get pissed cause their first month over here, they seek to do the same as any non lazy mofo and earn the cash....

if they bust butt doing a 9-5 then doing 5-10 part time just to make ends meet, and you are some over privelledged "hike your skirt, mary" who cant pay his bills, cause you only wanna work 1 job, and a mediocre paying one at that, i think i can overlook the fact that the man pronounced "cheeseburger" as "chee bogah" for the fact that i have to put up with listening to whoever complain that

1)someone took their job
2) i am so in debt
3) i'm tired of working
etc...

simply....work.....

-

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:07 PM on j-body.org
I havent read any of this thread but the title is awfully f***in ignorant.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 4:11 AM on j-body.org
[quote=¤§Fallen Angel§¤]Like I said... I have NO problems with people comming here and TRYING to learn. I don't care if their vocabulary isn't the greatest... they tried their best to learn English... and I respect that.

I also said... I understand an elderly person not speaking English... I UNDERSTAND THAT

Thirdly... No other country is going to accomodate an American in their country that cannot speak their language. If we went to... let's say... Switzerland... and we couldn't speak thier language... they're not going to rush out and start printing everything in English because we're there. My Nephew and his wife have lived in Switzerland for years now... so I do know that they weren't "accomodated" like we do immigrants here.

All I ask is that they try. I do not think that is too much to ask. If a bunch of us went to China and practically demanded they speak English because we're there... I don't think they'd like that too much... it would probably be rather insulting...

Fallen Angel.....you need re-word in bold please! I dont know what planet you live in but my AMERICA there are citizens here who speak more than just English! My father is a citizen and speaks Spanish Chineese and Portugese. So when you say "no other country is going to accomodate an American" Just say "No other country is going to accomodate a white english speaking American"!

When you make statements like this you need to speak about yourself and not Americans in general.

This topic is stupid, somewhat racist and so far the people who have strongly posted that immigrants SHOULD learn our language or GTFO really needs to get their head out of their Arse! Just deal with it because this is not an America for the white english speaking person anymore!

Love ya all!

Alex
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search