Speak english or GTFO! - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Speak english or GTFO!
Thursday, September 29, 2005 4:45 AM on j-body.org
GAM, the kilted one. I am fluent in three languages. Meaning I can speak them, write them, and understand them in written and spoken form. I even study the history of la cultura hispana (de espana, NO! mejor la cultura centroamericana. ej: inca, maya, azteca, asi). as well as my father's cultural history. English being the hardest language to learn? Very very much disagree. The romance languages are all very similar (english, spanish, italian, and the such), as the alphabet and pronunciation has roots / stems from Latin, the original language of Rome, when it was at it's cultural high at the turn of the millineum until it's downfall / plunder by the Visigoths. Spanish and English are very, very, very similar. My father speaks english fluently, and also can communicate and understand spanish, BOTH of which are as different as can be from his native language, Mandarin. My father never went to a university, yet can speak 6 languages, and makes 6 figures a year in business. My point being, those who say, "Oh, english is real difficult, even though i speak spanish", a language with the same alphabet, similar conjugative use, similar pronunciation, isn't trying too hard. You guys should try learning an east asia language. How about NO alphabet...instead of 26 characters, you can learn over 1000 characters to symbolize each word, each one looking like chicken scratch to you. have fun.

and to alex, if I found some other place to eat i(another fast food place) n my home town that didnt have a struggling with english speaker or a mental incompenent working at the drive through, Id never eat fast food, as they are all the same. But I guess I already dont, I eat in sit down service places most of the time. Unfortunately, I spend probably $350.00 on eating out b/c of this. Im not saying get the f out or whatever, just saying that I am amazed the lack of drive a lot of people have to conform to their surroundings, when I have known and been related to people who prove that is is not impossible, albeit diffiult.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 5:10 AM on j-body.org
soul horse wrote:GAM, the kilted one. I am fluent in three languages. Meaning I can speak them, write them, and understand them in written and spoken form. I even study the history of la cultura hispana (de espana, NO! mejor la cultura centroamericana. ej: inca, maya, azteca, asi). as well as my father's cultural history. English being the hardest language to learn? Very very much disagree. The romance languages are all very similar (english, spanish, italian, and the such), as the alphabet and pronunciation has roots / stems from Latin, the original language of Rome, when it was at it's cultural high at the turn of the millineum until it's downfall / plunder by the Visigoths. Spanish and English are very, very, very similar. My father speaks english fluently, and also can communicate and understand spanish, BOTH of which are as different as can be from his native language, Mandarin. My father never went to a university, yet can speak 6 languages, and makes 6 figures a year in business. My point being, those who say, "Oh, english is real difficult, even though i speak spanish", a language with the same alphabet, similar conjugative use, similar pronunciation, isn't trying too hard. You guys should try learning an east asia language. How about NO alphabet...instead of 26 characters, you can learn over 1000 characters to symbolize each word, each one looking like chicken scratch to you. have fun.

and to alex, if I found some other place to eat i(another fast food place) n my home town that didnt have a struggling with english speaker or a mental incompenent working at the drive through, Id never eat fast food, as they are all the same. But I guess I already dont, I eat in sit down service places most of the time. Unfortunately, I spend probably $350.00 on eating out b/c of this. Im not saying get the f out or whatever, just saying that I am amazed the lack of drive a lot of people have to conform to their surroundings, when I have known and been related to people who prove that is is not impossible, albeit diffiult.

I understand but what happens when you get a population of hispanics who work with hispanics and live with hispanics on a daily basis? To them, there is no need to learn the english language. Basically they try to make it as homely as possible. They want to keep their ways similiar to what they have in their country (el salvador for example), but at the same time make better money for thier families and themselves.

I believe it is good to know more than 1 language or try to learn......knowledge is food for the brain!
Thursday, September 29, 2005 6:27 AM on j-body.org
....understood, alex. i suppose the u.s. will always be a unique melting pot. I personally enjoy diversity, it is really the spice of life, but ironically, it is often that something that can be beautiful at one point can be irritating in another.

case in point: I live in a culturally diverse community. I think it is beautiful and generally wholesome to have quinceaneras (girls 15th birthday celebration in latina culture) and fiestas and community celebrations, with music and dance and a few beers. However, I HATE it when these celebrations take place 2 homes down from mine, at 11pm at night. All one can hear is that same ranchera music beat (oooomph, oooomph, oooomph, ooomph) through the walls. Something beautiful became annoying and ugly real quick.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:08 AM on j-body.org
soul horse wrote:....understood, alex. i suppose the u.s. will always be a unique melting pot. I personally enjoy diversity, it is really the spice of life, but ironically, it is often that something that can be beautiful at one point can be irritating in another.

case in point: I live in a culturally diverse community. I think it is beautiful and generally wholesome to have quinceaneras (girls 15th birthday celebration in latina culture) and fiestas and community celebrations, with music and dance and a few beers. However, I HATE it when these celebrations take place 2 homes down from mine, at 11pm at night. All one can hear is that same ranchera music beat (oooomph, oooomph, oooomph, ooomph) through the walls. Something beautiful became annoying and ugly real quick.

LMFAO......I used to live in Mass in a very populated Potugese community. The would always have a Portugese fiesta! The music and people were good and I always went to them. When you described the beat....ooomph.....I was falling out my chair! Your exactly right.

Oye...oye....oye....oye oye oye.....ok...ok...ok....ok...ok! Lol.......funny you brought that up. Latin music always seem to have the same beats going!
Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:31 AM on j-body.org
You know, now that I think about it, think most of you guys are making a big fuss over nothing. I live in Canada which I think is more culturally diverse than the States in general and I have never thought to myself that everyone in this country should learn English. Seriously, I take the train here and you can hear like 3 languages going on.

Sure I had some language issues, but it was nothing to get upset about, certainly not worth making a thread on. Maybe it's the fact that I grew up with a mix of races so I am more tolerant.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:43 AM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:You know, now that I think about it, think most of you guys are making a big fuss over nothing. I live in Canada which I think is more culturally diverse than the States in general and I have never thought to myself that everyone in this country should learn English. Seriously, I take the train here and you can hear like 3 languages going on.

Sure I had some language issues, but it was nothing to get upset about, certainly not worth making a thread on. Maybe it's the fact that I grew up with a mix of races so I am more tolerant.

def agree there... the more diverse an area you grow up in, the more accepting you are of people.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:00 AM on j-body.org
SoulHorse: I never said English was THE most difficult to learn.. I said it was one of the most, mainly, if you are approaching from a different language (such as spanish, italliano, french etc, ones with roots in Greek and Latin) because of the shift from gendered to ungendered speech. I also related that there are other more complex tongues that have different oddities.

I've tried to learn Cyrillic/Russian, but that was a futile effort (my folks boarded a couple of russian hockey players, I figured it would be a little easier on them). There are 3 genders (male/female/neuter).

I've tried to learn Gaellic writing, but there aren't many people where I live that speak or write fluently (my Granddad was born in Ireland, and I spent most weekends at my Grandparent's place where I had to learn... I know about the Big Fat Irish Life ). French, I learned as a matter of course. The area around Ottawa is a crap shoot as to whether or not you'll be able to speak in english, but that's the way its been since before Canada existed outside the British Empire.

I'm not sure if there is a greater mix of cultures in Canada as Glace said, but it's a lot more relaxed around here, at least I've found. Not sure if it's because people are more relaxed in general, or what, but not having to be on edge 24/7 and having to deal with people's crap for the smallest infraction.. it's liberating.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 10:51 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

I'm not sure if there is a greater mix of cultures in Canada as Glace said, but it's a lot more relaxed around here, at least I've found.

maybe I'll consider canada

Thursday, September 29, 2005 11:29 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

def agree there... the more diverse an area you grow up in, the more accepting you are of people.

X3!

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Thursday, September 29, 2005 2:38 PM on j-body.org
UpstateNyZ24 wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure if there is a greater mix of cultures in Canada as Glace said, but it's a lot more relaxed around here, at least I've found.

maybe I'll consider canada

Well, you're at least acquainted with our weather patterns

Other than the Taxes (and the DAMNED IDIOTS in the transportation regulation board, I WANT MY DAMNED GTO!!!!), I like it here, and not just because it's home. When I was in Los Angeles and Houston, it was like everyone was walking on eggshells, I calleda black guy I knew well from work a retard as a joke, and he KNEW I was kidding (he'd called me a dumbass a few times when I deserved it), and I got a new rectum torn by a manager... I told the guy I knew, and he got pissed at the manager, I got ANOTHER new one torn...

3 anuses... I swear.. it's great! LOL

Here, it's cool, I guess the Racial mix is different, or the fact that there a LOT less people around, or whatever... I just felt tense in the US when I was in a big city.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:19 PM on j-body.org
Weather patterns! HAH! What patterns?

Right now I'm living right by Ontario Lake, in Oswego, NY. Today the wind blew so hard, that the lake looked like an ocean with huge waves. It's hard to walk outside and breathe when you're walking towards the wind. When the damn wind is behind you, you have to run because the mofo is pushing on you like crazy.

I will never get used to this weather "pattern". I still like it more than 90 degree weather all day every day, like in Florida for example.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 3:24 PM on j-body.org
LOL.. My Canada includes Florida. <-- old separation referendum joke.

Yeah, I know what you mean by wind... I was waiting at a light and a tree blew over not 4 cars ahead of me.

Friday, September 30, 2005 10:07 AM on j-body.org
I take it as an "adapt to the environment, not make the environment adapt to you".

If you live in an area that's predominantly english-speaking, then you speak english or you're SOL. Ditto with other languages/areas.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, September 30, 2005 11:02 AM on j-body.org
I actually want to learn to speak Chinese. I'm sure if I read up on my Spanish I could pick that back up again in no time.

My first year in Spanish, I NEVER studied... and got 100%'s all the time.
Second year... same thing.
Third year... I acutally had to study a bit lol.

I can pick up on them pretty quick... so I would enjoy the challenge Chinese would offer.

Friday, September 30, 2005 11:25 AM on j-body.org
fallen: it is a great language to learn, particularly if yiu have any interest in business (I import a lot of stuff from there for my dad's company). a WHOLE lot of chinese here speak cantonese, though, as a lot of people came from hong kong. mandarin, the official language of the mainland, is what you'd wanna learn.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 7:58 AM on j-body.org
Aren't Mandarin and Cantonese significantly different?

Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:07 PM on j-body.org
^^^^^ COMPLETELY different languages. China (and Taiwan alike) have so many different local dilects, it is crazy. They vary from province to province (Yunnan, Canton, Szechuan, etc.) But the official, government mandated language is Mandarin, which is what is taught in every school. However, in some parts of China (and most parts of Taiwan), Mandarin is very very rarely used. Kinda funny, in business, I see this a lot...5 people in a wholesale shop who all are from the same country, all look Chinese, none of em being able to understand each other.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:14 PM on j-body.org
Sounds like the setup to a joke.

It's like that in the British Isles as well, Scot/Welsh Gaelic has different sounds for lots of words than Irish. Even here in North America, try to talk to a baymen Newfoundlander, and you'll know frustration.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 2:20 AM on j-body.org
I don't come into the War Forum often so I just caught onto this...

The reason people like Rodimus get so mad about people not speaking english is because they are Americans. As Americans, we are generally impatient and not understanding of others. If someone is on the phone with you and doesn't speak english well, people have a lack of understanding of why they don't speak english well. How would you feel if you moved to Poland and no one understood English and the guy on the line is getting pissed at you cause you can't speak Polish?

Now, this was already said but I'll say it again, WE HAVE NO NATIONAL LANGUAGE! As a majority of people here, we speak English, yes BUT that doesn't mean we have a national language. America is the land of the free, free to speak whatever language we want and free to learn a language or not learn a language, period. If you come from Portugal and only speak Portuguese...it's your god given right to speak whatever language you want here in America. Now, the only part is communicating with others who don't speak Portuguese...that all comes down to if you live in an area where people mostly speak Portuguese and how often you enteract with people who don't speak Portuguese.

Also, people forget that some immagrants who come to America are of the poor nature and don't have a way of learning english like us priveledged Americans who can go through Grade School to learn how to speak & write in english. These people have to learn at strides and basically pick things up as they go. If you ever notice how some people know how to say general things like "Ok", "No Problem" etc etc. they are slowly picking up the language.

One thing I totally dispise about people is that when they are trying to communicate with someone who doesn't speak English, they assume that they are stupid or somehow unintelligent because of this. Not knowing a language has nothing to do intelligence...just because I can't speak Chinese doesn't make me stupid...I was never properly shown how to speak Chinese so I won't know how to speak the language.

As far as my opinion goes, I think if you honestly get upset because someone doesn't speak the same language as you, you need to check yourself and put yourself in their shoes. Not everyone grew up the same way, the same situation or grew in the same country as you and was blessed enough to learn this language called English. Now, it is frustrating trying to communicate with someone who doesn't understand you, whether they speak English or not, but to seriously get pissed off to the point where you are outraged is just childish. No offense to Rodimus but this should never be something to stress about or raise your blood pressure over but more of something to take the time and understand people in a wider picture than a narrow minded view of "Speak English or go the F home".

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:24 AM on j-body.org
Well put.

I think most people that bitch and moan about immigrants not learning english have never been in a place where they don't speak the preferred language. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:07 PM on j-body.org
Here is my thoughts.....

if you dotn speak good english, and are having a rough time, then ok, i understand it can be tough

(true story) but if you don't speak english AT ALL like this dude that came into my work last week, he comes up to the window and says "habla espenol?" I looked at him and replied "no,no yo hablo espenol" (thanks to college spanish lol) and to top if off, he gets pissed off about it, and throws a fit in the middle of the store till my boss kicked him out

like how can you get made cuz you don't speak the language of a country???? do you think were all gonna learn it so your lazy ass doenst have to do anything?

Sunday, October 02, 2005 5:31 PM on j-body.org
^^^^^ lol. yes, it happens. if i went to germany, having never tried to learn german (though I could count, ask for food/water, say good morning, thank you, and your welcome...mind you, this is what I picked up after spending not more than 60 minutes in my life around german speakers), I wouldnt get pissed at a local business or native for not knowing MY language. that, my friend, would be arrogant and ignorant.

Monday, October 03, 2005 7:16 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Aren't Mandarin and Cantonese significantly different?

The dialect is different, but the writing is the same.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Monday, October 03, 2005 10:02 AM on j-body.org
While there is no "official" language, again, whatever region you're in, you should expect to adapt to that environment, not expect the environment to adapt to you.

Thus, if you live like, right on the mexican border, a good understanding of spanish will help. But, if you live in, say, Spokane, then most likely, you should learn english.

The point is this, if you don't, the only harm and foul is that no one will understand you, and thus, you're screwed.

It's like if I got a wild hair up my ass and moved to Slovakia (may happen--may not). I would learn Slovak rather than be pissed that no one spoke english. And if i didn't know it well enough, at least pick up a phrasebook...

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, October 03, 2005 11:38 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]While there is no "official" language, again, whatever region you're in, you should expect to adapt to that environment, not expect the environment to adapt to you.

Thus, if you live like, right on the mexican border, a good understanding of spanish will help. But, if you live in, say, Spokane, then most likely, you should learn english.

The point is this, if you don't, the only harm and foul is that no one will understand you, and thus, you're screwed.

It's like if I got a wild hair up my ass and moved to Slovakia (may happen--may not). I would learn Slovak rather than be pissed that no one spoke english. And if i didn't know it well enough, at least pick up a phrasebook...

That's very true but again...it's America...they can choose to be screwed as far as communicating or not be screwed.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search